Drop Rate - WRs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
joe03.jpg

Stop busting my balls, jrry

I'd say Watkins is very akin to Boldin while Evans is like Fitzgerald. That's why I've been torn about which one I'd like for the Rams. Boldin is great at moving the chains and occasionally busting a long one and Watkins seems to be that type considering how many catches he had close to the line of scrimmage. That type of receiver seems to fit what the Rams have been doing.

But, they need a guy to fill the role that Quick was supposed to fill and that would be Evans. He seems to have a knack of coming down with the ball and using his body for positioning well so I could easily see him as the pick too.

It'll be interesting to see if the Rams actually do go after a WR as it seems to me they are hell-bent on making Quick work out and I just don't see much of a future for him as a full time starter.

Nah. Boldin is a tank and always has been. Was extremely slow coming out and still is. Guy is the master of the contested catch and the push off. Extremely strong, extremely physical, and great hand strength.

Watkins is more like a combination of Torrey Smith and Pierre Garcon.

moklerman

Warner-phile
jrry32 said:
Nah. Boldin is a tank and always has been. Was extremely slow coming out and still is. Guy is the master of the contested catch and the push off. Extremely strong, extremely physical, and great hand strength.

Watkins is more like a combination of Torrey Smith and Pierre Garcon.
I'm just going by what I've seen in highlight reels of Watkins as I don't watch much college football but I've seen a fair share of Boldin's games throughout his career and he is who leaped to mind when I started to familiarize myself with Watkins. Boldin was listed as 6'-1", 205 pounds at Florida State(but has now bulked up into the 220's). Watkins is an identical 6'-1", 205 pounds so, based on his highlights, I see the same type of tough, physical potential for Watkins that Boldin has shown throughout his career. I can't find any info on Boldin's arm length but I've always felt he had arms that aren't too long and hands, although strong, aren't that big. Watkins seems to have an advantage in both these areas but that's just my perception.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are very few who play at Boldin's level but in terms of style of play, I think Watkins is similar. Plays close to the line of scrimmage, catches a lot of short passes, breaks tackles and can take it to the house if you fall asleep on him.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Except that logic is a bit flawed. I'd have to go through and do the research but just off the top of my head, I think...at minimum...the odds are just as good that you find a productive WR in the second round over the last decade or so as a productive DB or lineman.

Plus, that ignores the strength of his particular draft. And one of this draft's biggest strengths is how deep and talented the WR position is.

So no, I don't think the Watkins or bust approach is a good one. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Issue here is that really isn't Watkins's game. Not to say he can't make tough catches but that's much more Mike Evans's game. Watkins is an explosive deep threat that can create after the catch. Evans is the physical, big WR that will make difficult catches in heavily contested situations.

Watkins isn't Anquan Boldin or Larry Fitzgerald. He's not going to be that guy that consistently makes the catch with defenders draped all over him. But that really wouldn't be why you'd draft him anyways.

I'm not saying Watkins has to make that play every down, but he can make that play. You've seen Givens round off routes and not fight for the ball. Watkins fights for the ball, plays with his head on fire. Evans does too, but doesn't have as many tools in his arsenal. I mentioned this before a ways back, but his play reminds me of Demaryius Thomas-- dangerous in space, can take a screen or slant to the house.

I'm lusting for that speed combo of Austin, Watkins, Cook, Givens, and Quick and Bailey aren't slow either. Power up the middle, and will take the top off if you creep in too close.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Givens drop rate has always been my complaint with him. He has small hands and will simply never be dependable in that regard. This is precisely why I prefer Sted to take his reps. Frankly, I don't even want Givens as anything more than a backup. Tavon also drops too many balls but we will have to live with that. If the Rams want to upgrade any of the receiving options, Quick/Pettis would be the target. If Pettis had Quick's athleticism or Quick had Pettis' hands and consistency, I'm not sure we would add a receiver at all.

My belief is that the passing game would be better improved by Ebron taking Kendrick's reps. Ebron is a much better inline blocker and would team with Cook as threats in the seams off play action.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I would love them, too, but they aren't options right now, and catching is not the only intangible (do not interpret as a dick). If we draft a WR, I want the best one in the class, not someone that would be on par with what we have. Also, I think a 2nd rd DB/lineman will produce more for us than a 2nd rd WR.

And for the record, I am a big supporter of the guys we have and expect improvement next year, but I do not think we have an elite, outside, go-to receiver that can deliver when in double-coverage and/or heavily contested situations. I do not want to wait and hope Quick develops into that guy next season when we can get the guy now. If Quick does become VJ/BM, good for us!

Spending high draft picks on more WR's is not the answer. Seattle just won the SB without a top flight WR (excluding Harvin). NE played ball last year with largely UDFA.

We have bigger problems than our WR's.