Drew Brees Cap Number and PR Battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/23/the-saints-brees-p-r-battle-quietly-has-begun/

The report that Saints quarterback Drew Brees was willing to re-do his contract to help the Saints sign cornerback Josh Norman, which emerged after it was too late for the Saints to sign Josh Norman, seems on the surface to be good news for a team that desperately needs to chop down its franchise quarterback’s $30 million cap number. But it’s actually bad news.

It’s bad news because it’s the first shot in a P.R. battle between player and team that will quietly (or loudly) play out until he either signs an extension between now and the end of the 2016 season or inks a new contract after his current deal expires.

Consider the specific language of the report tweeted by Ed Werder of ESPN: “I’m told [Brees] personally wanted [Josh Norman] on team and was willing to modify contract to make it happen. Effort failed.”

So why did Brees tell this to Werder after Norman signed with Washington? (Yeah, Werder didn’t say Brees was the source, but Brees or his agent clearly were the source.) Brees is likely bracing for the backlash that may come from Saints fans who realize that Brees’ $30 million cap number for 2016 was the primary impediment to getting Norman.

The $30 million cap number didn’t suddenly emerge on the books. It’s been there since March 9, keeping the Saints from making the kind of moves that could have been made if Brees counted for less this season. It’s remained there because the Saints and Brees can’t work out a new contract.

The Saints and Brees can’t work out a new contract because Brees undoubtedly wants to leverage (as he should) a $20 million payout in 2016 and what would be a $43.2 million franchise tender in 2017 into a long-term deal that doesn’t just inch past Joe Flacco by $100,000 or so per year but that blows the lid off the quarterback market, at least until Andrew Luck signs a long-term deal and surpasses it.

Fans and media seem to be coming around to the idea that there’s nothing wrong with players getting as much money as they can, given the risks and realities of playing pro football — and in light of the fact that no one criticizes owners for making as much money as possible. But Brees, who made $60 million from 2006 through 2011, made $80 million from 2012 through 2015, and will make $20 million this year, could soon find himself being called out by New Orleans fans and media for wanting so much that it hurts the team.

As a result, Brees seems to be trying to short circuit any criticism by creating the impression that he’s not hurting the team by wanting so much that the Saints have been unable to reduce his cap number with a contract extension. The next question is whether the Saints will push back, either by leaking details of what Brees has been requesting on a new deal or by planting the seed with local reporters and columnists that Brees should be called out for putting the team in a tough spot by not agreeing to a new contract before free agency opened.

If the Saints do that, the Brees camp could respond, and an all-out P.R. battle could emerge.

The best move for both sides will be to work out a contract and avoid the ugliness that could be looming. If that doesn’t happen before the start of the season, the one thing that ultimately could be looming come 2017 is a divorce, because there’s no way the Saints can allocate $43.2 million in cap space next year to a quarterback who will be 38 in nine months.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The amount of money QBs make is ridiculous. Are they worth it? Yes, however having one that wants to be paid like the best can cripple a teams cap number and keep a team from being competitive.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The amount of money QBs make is ridiculous. Are they worth it? Yes, however having one that wants to be paid like the best can cripple a teams cap number and keep a team from being competitive.

Yeah, check out the top of this list.

856a66cd08c190e90125f8d48ab3f7d1_zpslarxjmlk.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brees isn't worth $30 million per year. Also, the Saints have reportedly met with Paxton Lynch 3x already, which I think is yet another indicator that there's no way that dude would have made it to 15 overall. Undoubtedly the Rams knew that which I am sure factored into them saying "why not just go to the top and get the guy we want?"

I recall Pat Kirwan noting that taking Lynch complicates their ability to get that deal done with Brees. But you know, if Brees is looking for a gargantuan payday at his age the smart choice is to get their offensive minded coach a high end talent like Lynch and let them coach him up.

Problem of course is that Lynch might not even make it to 12 where the Saints choose. Keep saying that I think the Bears might take him and I still believe that's a possibility, not to mention the 9ers and Kelly who could play Lynch far sooner than most.

This draft still isn't done with the craziness IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
$43.2 million franchise tender in 2017

I don't understand why this is as high as it is. Isn't the franchise tag based on the highest paid QBs in the league? Right now none are at this level. I am guessing I am misunderstanding this number right?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Brees isn't worth $30 million per year. Also, the Saints have reportedly met with Paxton Lynch 3x already, which I think is yet another indicator that there's no way that dude would have made it to 15 overall. Undoubtedly the Rams knew that which I am sure factored into them saying "why not just go to the top and get the guy we want?"

I recall Pat Kirwan noting that taking Lynch complicates their ability to get that deal done with Brees. But you know, if Brees is looking for a gargantuan payday at his age the smart choice is to get their offensive minded coach a high end talent like Lynch and let them coach him up.

Problem of course is that Lynch might not even make it to 12 where the Saints choose. Keep saying that I think the Bears might take him and I still believe that's a possibility, not to mention the 9ers and Kelly who could play Lynch far sooner than most.

This draft still isn't done with the craziness IMO.

I am guessing the Saints cant afford to release Brees right?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am guessing the Saints cant afford to release Brees right?

Yeah I'd agree that's a safe assumption. But if you're Asshole Face wouldn't it be real tempting to draft Paxton Lynch and coach the F out of him this year so you can release Brees next year? I would.

And if Lynch is gone I'd go after Brandon Doughty. I absolutely love that kid. He's gonna be a starter in this league IMO. But either way the Saints are gonna take at least one QB. No way they accept that kind of contract option with a guy that is Brees' age.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Saints signed him to the contract. If they didn't know then they do now there's a difference between foresight and foreskin.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Just reading this makes me think we should take a QB, In the first rnd every other year and keep them moving along. Not realistic, obviously.

Seattle and Frisco both had good runs with rookie QB cap hits. Once they had to pay up, they started losing players.

Ram65

Legend

Thanks I had no idea how to get to 43.2M ...(y)

That's why Demoff likes to pay as you go. Smart man. Brees hasn't slowed down much. Interesting to see how he does this year. Jared Cook will help make him worth every penny.

The amount's are getting staggering. While QBs are the most valuable players a individual player cap would make sense. The Players Association should go for this so the money is distributed more evenly. I doubt it happens but it could work out in the long run.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I don't like backloading deals. Zygmunt put the team in purgatory with all of his backloading contracts. I prefer Demoffs way of upfront money so contracts and cap hits are easier to get out of in a few years if need be. A la Long and JL

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Saints signed him to the contract. If they didn't know then they do now there's a difference between foresight and foreskin.

Apparently, the fog has cleared and they are seeing more than just the tip of the iceberg, if you will...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Bad contracts were a big problem. You just don't remember, or weren't paying attention at the time I guess. There was a big article early in those cap days hailing Zygmunt as the master of the cap because he was not letting it inhibit him the way other GMs were. Four or five years latter the Rams were tied down by over inflated contracts that restricted free agency signings to guys like Dexter Coakley.

Ram65

Legend

What about inflation?

Here is an article link and quote titled of the beginning which was written last year.

Agent's Take: Some of the NFL's worst teams have this one thing in

Dead money is a salary-cap charge for a player who is no longer on a team's roster. It exists because of how salary-cap accounting rules operate.

Signing bonuses, option bonuses and certain roster bonuses are prorated or spread out evenly over the life of a contract for a maximum of five years. When a player is released, traded or retires, the remaining proration of these salary components immediately accelerate onto his team's current salary cap.

For example, $2 million of Greg Jennings' $10 million signing bonus counted toward theMinnesota Vikings' salary cap for each year of the five-year, $45-million contract he received in 2013. Since he was released in March 2015 after playing two years under his contract, the $2 million of signing-bonus proration from each of the last two years of the contract automatically accelerated onto Minnesota's current salary cap. The Vikings have $6 million of dead money this season for letting Jennings go.

There are two major exceptions to this general rule of accelerating proration. Only the current year's proration counts toward the salary cap with transactions occurring after June 1. The bonus proration in future contract years is delayed until the following season. A team can also release two players each year before June 1 (known as a post-June 1 designation) that will be treated under the salary cap as if they were released after June 1. With a post-June 1 designation, a team is required to carry the player's full cap number until June 2, even though he is no longer a part of the roster. The player's salary comes off the books at that time unless it is guaranteed.

This means dead money is typically a sunk cost where money isn't owed to a player. There will be a payment associated with dead money only if salary guarantees are present when a player is released.

Excessive dead money can inhibit a team's ability to improve its roster, limiting salary-cap room to scale back activity in free agency or give contract extensions to important players on the team. Although the NFL sets the salary cap annually, each team's adjusted salary cap varies because unused salary cap room can be carried over from one year to the next. The carryover ability can help offset the effect of dead money.

Seven NFL teams currently have more than $20 million in dead money. There's a strong correlation between dead money and team performance so far this season. The seven teams leading in dead money have a combined 9-25 record. The Detroit Lions, this season's only winless team, were close with almost $18.5 million in dead money.

Here's a look at the teams with the most dead money in 2015 and the players responsible for the largest amounts of dead money. Potential dead money amounts that are the subject of a grievance are not included in the calculations.
The Saints are paying for the loss of Jimmy Graham in more ways than one. (USATSI)

Team Leaders

1. New Orleans Saints

Dead Money: $31.07 million
Adjusted Salary Cap: $145,092,430
Dead Money Percentage: 21.41%

Biggest Charges
TE Jimmy Graham: $9 million
OG Ben Grubbs: $6 million
ILB Curtis Lofton: $5 million
OLB Junior Galette: $4.2 million

The Saints' aggressive approach to managing the salary cap is catching up with them. In an attempt to bring more balance to a pass-happy offense, All-Pro tight end Jimmy Graham and a 2015 fourth-round pick were surprisingly dealt to the Seattle Seahawks early in the offseason for center Max Unger and a 2015 first-round pick. The trade happened less than a year after the Saints made Graham the NFL's highest-paid tight end with a four-year, $40-million contract, which included a $12-million signing bonus.

Another surprising move was the Saints cutting Junior Galette, the team's best pass rusher, at the start of training camp. Talent usually trumps character concerns, but not in Galette's case. He received a four-year, $41.5-million contract extension in 2014 when there was a year remaining on his deal for $2 million.

Galette's $1.25-million 2015 base salary, which was fully guaranteed, is the subject of a grievance where the Saints are contending that the guarantees voided because of his off-the-field conduct. $500,000 (40 percent) of Galette's base salary is counting on New Orleans' cap in addition to his dead money until the grievance is resolved. Assuming a favorable decision for Galette, the Saints will have given him a $16.7-million windfall thanks to the extension since he didn't play under any of the new contract years before his release.

The Saints will still be feeling the effects of Galette's deal next year. Galette's dead money is $12.1 million in 2016..........................................................................................................................................................................

Yes the Saints are at the top of the list. They have problems.

The Rams where able to cut ties with less productive aging players with low dead money cap hits. They paid them as they went with more money front loaded.

Jared Cook TE ----------- $2,600,882
Chris Long DE ----------- $2,500,000
James Laurinaitis ILB -- $900,000 0

This enabled the Rams to keep other valuable players like Tru, Barron, Hayes and Simms. The will also have money available for up coming contracts for Ogletree and Donald. The Rams may have dead money if they move the unproductive Foles but it will be limited after this year.