Drafting Best Player Available "rule"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramifications

BPA is critically important.

Positional reaches lead to a roster stocked with mediocre talent.

There are limits, though. If by some fluke it just so happens you pick #1 overall a decade straight, and by another fluke there are dominant franchise QBs head and shoulders above every other prospect in their respective drafts... you don't draft a #1 QB for a decade straight.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BPA is critically important.

Positional reaches lead to a roster stocked with mediocre talent.

There are limits, though. If by some fluke it just so happens you pick #1 overall a decade straight, and by another fluke there are dominant franchise QBs head and shoulders above every other prospect in their respective drafts... you don't draft a #1 QB for a decade straight.

Lol, if I am only allowed to pick #1, I'd just keep drafting the QB and trading him. ;)

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
And if there isn't a CB, FS or OG worth drafting at that spot? Do we pick one anyways? Isn't that how we ended up passing on players like Darrelle Revis, Haloti Ngata and Troy Polamalu to draft the Jimmy Kennedys, Tye Hills and Adam Carrikers of the world?

I think the biggest thing to consider with the draft is that it's for the future. Not just 2014. A lot of rookies...even players that develop into top players at their position...don't contribute that much as rookies.

Which is the idea of drafting mainly for need just doesn't appeal to me. What happens if it takes the guy 2 or 3 years to develop? Who is to say we'll have the same needs at that point?

IMO, Free Agency should be used to plug holes. The draft should be used to collect as much young talent as possible. I also think it's worth pointing out that even if we don't go OL early...we can fill the guard spots just fine in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round with good player evaluation. So lets say we do draft Clowney. We can still come away with a David Yankey in Round 2 and a Gabe Jackson or Brandon Thomas in Round 3 if we really want to. And those guys will probably be pretty darn good value at that point.

But you're absolutely entitled to believe that I am dead wrong. Maybe I am. It's just my personal philosophy.

Those picks were the result of poor talent evaluation, poor fit or were reaches where they were selected.

I agree with your general philosophy of plugging holes through FA and drafting talent in the draft but need and fit have to be part of the equation as well.

This goes back to the way the Rams have drafted the last couple of years. Identify players you think will help your team. Determine where talent meets value and maneuver around the board in an effort to get those specific players.

I believe last years draft, in particular, was a home run.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Those picks were the result of poor talent evaluation, poor fit or were reaches where they were selected.

I agree with your general philosophy of plugging holes through FA and drafting talent in the draft but need and fit have to be part of the equation as well.

This goes back to the way the Rams have drafted the last couple of years. Identify players you think will help your team. Determine where talent meets value and maneuver around the board in an effort to get those specific players.

I believe last years draft, in particular, was a home run.
Agree, Snead has shown ability to get players he wants where he wants to get them like Brockers and Tree.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Good discussion. You won't find me advocating anything bbut matthews or robinson with our first pick, but thats at four or six not at two. I have to bet thats what they do. Its not going to be rgme trade but we will get at least one premium pick in return. Llets pretend we cant trade out. Than you have to take clowney. Read jerrys post why.

RamsFan14

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 nailed it well, we are not just building for 2014, but for the future. I do believe we need to get playmakers and an OL, but if the board clearly doesn't favor that at the time of our selection, then we otta take the BPA. It's tough to say that in this situation because we have possibly the best DE in football, that's clearly a position we don't need. Just don't know if we are able to pass on a player like Clowney if we traded down to like 4 or 5 and he's still there. I really don't know, I'll personally trust the decision of management with our first round picks. I don't have a preference for anyone in particular.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Agree, Snead has shown ability to get players he wants where he wants to get them like Brockers and Tree.
That is exactly what they should be doing too. Don't over value a player just for the sake of need. That is what the old regime did.

Ramifications

The late safety Eric Turner (UCLA/CLE) is the only DB to go that high since the merger (and further back to '63, his wiki page said).

laramsoriginal

Starter
Im not sold on clowney. He could be a dominating DE for the next decade or possibly a bust. His lack of effort his jr year at USCe was enough to drop him out of my top 10.

Makes perfect sense for the rams to trade down. Raiders, Atlanta, Minnesota, and Detroit are the teams I see the rams making a move with.

Im excited aboit the draft and the upcoming season. Its time the Rams take that next step and contend for the title