Drafting a QB every two to three years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've kicked this around before, the idea that taking a QB every couple of years (i.e. the Ron Wolf approach) is important to ensure depth at a crucial position. It allows you to be better prepared for absorbing the loss of your signal caller, as well as potentially enabling an affordable QB solution if you hit on the position.

Since we drafted Jared and got him a top offensive mind things are looking up for us. But the backup position is manned by a guy who will be a FA next offseason, and while I like Allen I'd also like to see some competition brought in for him. Some ideas have been kicked around like adding Kessler if they can get him cheap, but overall it's pretty clear with an extremely deep QB draft this year that now is a good time to scoop a backup somewhere mid to late rounds.

Just read an interesting article about Kraft recognizing the drafting of a QB, and one thing that really surprised me is how often the Patriots have taken shots on QBs. Check this out, courtesy of the link above:

2016: Jacoby Brissett (3rd round) -- traded to Indianapolis in 2017.

2014: Jimmy Garoppolo (2nd round) -- traded to San Francisco in 2017.

2011: Ryan Mallett (3rd round) -- traded to Houston in 2014; spent past three years in Baltimore; current free agent

2010: Zac Robinson (7th round) -- released in 2010; never threw an NFL regular-season pass

2008: Kevin O'Connell (3rd round) -- waived in 2009; current Redskins QBs coach

2005: Matt Cassel (7th round) -- went 10-5 starting for Brady in 2008; traded to K.C. in 2009; spent 2017 in Tennessee; current free agent

2003: Kliff Kingsbury (6th round) -- waived in 2004; threw two passes for the Jets in 2005; current Texas Tech head football coach

2002: Rohan Davey (4th round) -- made seven relief appearances in three seasons; released in 2005

2000: Brady (6th round) -- GOAT

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I don't think this is the year to use a third or fourth since the team is still building basic depth after radical system changes, but I'm on record to use one of the 6ths. But they need somebody to replace Mannion as backup in 2019. Free agent backup QBs either suck, or cost way too much.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@Merlin there is probably some value in the way the Patriots do that.

But.

I would rather see one guy as a backup for a long time. Someone who knows the system, the players, the coaches and everything else like the back of his hand. Changing the backup every 1-3 years is more risky.

If I was a GM I'd find a guy late in the draft that probably had no shot to ever be a starter and tell him he was going to make millions over the next several years being the long term back up. I know that's probably difficult to do but I would keep reaching out to guys until I found one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the other hand, it shows that *other than Brady*, the Patriots suck at drafting QB's after the 2nd round

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Merlin there is probably some value in the way the Patriots do that.

But.

I would rather see one guy as a backup for a long time. Someone who knows the system, the players, the coaches and everything else like the back of his hand. Changing the backup every 1-3 years is more risky.

If I was a GM I'd find a guy late in the draft that probably had no shot to ever be a starter and tell him he was going to make millions over the next several years being the long term back up. I know that's probably difficult to do but I would keep reaching out to guys until I found one.

Sounds good on paper. But if he's a good backup, then that means he's likely better than a fair number of starters around the league, or at least looks like it. When his contract is due - he can sign a contract with the Rams for a few million, or go for it as a starter, get tens of millions, and satisfy his ego. What NFL player wants to think that he's just a backup without at least trying to become a starter? That's why you need to maintain a flow of young QBs. Or sign an experienced guy who has failed as a starter, probably more than once.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Most teams do cycle their backups every 2 or 3 years anyways. We'll be cycling ours this year or next as Mannion becomes a free agent. We'll either replace him with a draft pick of some kind or the backup that was kicked to the curb from another team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
On the other hand, it shows that *other than Brady*, the Patriots suck at drafting QB's after the 2nd round

LOL.......and they cheat.

Or sign an experienced guy who has failed as a starter, probably more than once.

Which could also be an excellent plan. I think the system knowledge is super critical, as important for a backup as taking care of the ball.

The Rams, if they are moving on from Mannion (and we don't know if that's the plan or not) could find some decent vets that could help hold down the fort for a few weeks or whatever.

Help I would not mind seeing Bridgewater, Keapernick, McCown or a couple of others that are out there.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

True. And QB salaries seem to be increasing faster than the cap, so the $3 million figure is likely to be shooting up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

No doubt. And like previously mentioned, everyone does. Which makes their hitting on Brady all the more amazing tbh.

I think they're going to reach a bit this year for the guy they want. Might be Lauletta, might be Falk, but they're definitely going to get after a guy with good accuracy who is a fit for their program.

What I can't get a good handle on is when to expect these guys to go off the board. I absolutely love Falk but have zero idea when he goes. Could see all manner of things happening. So it sure is nice to at least know we're set with our starter.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd do it every year (same with offensive linemen)....5th, 6th, and 7th round picks are crap shoots....I think there is better value in UDFA's...we are in a talent rich environment.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think most teams bring in a rookie QB every season by late draft or UDFA. Like already said, it's not always prudent to draft one if your team needs other parts. I think the Rams are set up well this year to get one in the 6th of course. The problem is would that guy be much better than UDFAs this year? I think most of the "worthy" prospects will be nabbed by the 5th round.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Colin Kaepernick is still out there and he's better than Mannion, IMO.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With a shortage of good QB's and the ones coming out of college needing time to get up to NFL speed, guys like Mannion will get a chance to start. Someone will sign Mannion next year when he's a FA and give him a shot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It depends on who is available?

Last year the 9ets drafted Beathard . He looks like a capable back up .

How munch would Mannion or Allen cost to resign ? The Rams coaching staff should know the value ?

I could make a bigger list for who The Rams should have drafted , not to mention Nick Foles & Or Case Keenum?

Mccarron and the QB the Titans drafted out of LSU. I loved EJ Gaines was pissed they traded up for Joyner & didn’t get out of the Robinson pick.

Those QB’s had a lot of value imo at the time. Fisher was all into himself. Mo Alexander ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With a shortage of good QB's and the ones coming out of college needing time to get up to NFL speed, guys like Mannion will get a chance to start. Someone will sign Mannion next year when he's a FA and give him a shot.

Who is to say Allen does not beat him out ? We still have not got a full view as Ram fans.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Well, they did turn a few of those guys into higher draft picks. Devannety said that he would like to draft a QB every year. I agree. If there is a QB with some potential, that could either, replace your starter in four years, or net some better draft picks, why not?

This year I’d be considering White or Lauletta. McVay brought Cousins from backup to the richest QB contract in the league. It’s worth a shot if the right guy is at the right pick.