Draft talk - Rams' DBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
When you look at the 2016 draft for the Rams, you have to keep in mind our DB status after 2015.

Three of our four starting DBs have contracts which expire after this season. Who we resign may have a big affect on who we draft.

Jenkins will be a UFA.
Johnson will be a UFA.
Barron will be a UFA.
McLeod will be an RFA so we should be able to keep him fairly easily, if we choose.
Davis will be an RFA.

Under contract past this season are:
Joyner
Gaines
McDonald
Alexander
Roberson
Bryant
Only Joyner, Alexander and Gaines are under contract past 2016.

Unless both Jenkins and Johnson are resigned, I think CB becomes a target in our first two rounds.

Last edited:

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think McLeod will be unrestricted too?

I thought that, too, but he is shown as RFA on spotrac.com. If he is UFA, probably increases our needs. Having 3 of 4 starters' contracts end at the same time leaves some holes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
McLeod is unrestricted this year, and he'll be getting a big contract. I'd rather extend T.J. McDonald and keep Jenkins and Johnson if we can. Joyner can man free safety.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
McLeod is unrestricted this year, and he'll be getting a big contract. I'd rather extend T.J. McDonald and keep Jenkins and Johnson if we can. Joyner can man free safety.

I really like McLeod, but I wouldn't be too opposed to seeing Joyner play free safety, or maybe going after a guy like Karl Joseph who will probably drop a little with his knee injury.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any chance Melvin White is free safety material? He played quite a bit at CB for Carolina his first two seasons but II seem to recall predraft it was thought that FS was his best position. I assume we signed him for some reason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd bring them all back except McLeod if he wants too much money. Trumaine and Janoris are playing great football. I think Barron is realistic about his value and he's a nice role player for us.

FRO

Legend
I'd bring them all back except McLeod if he wants too much money. Trumaine and Janoris are playing great football. I think Barron is realistic about his value and he's a nice role player for us.
If they think Alexander can play the Barron role I would let Barron walk. He has been a very good situational player, but some team may give him a bigger role and a chance for more money.

I think Joyner can play the McLeod role, but if McLeod is a RFA, then tag him and keep him. I agree about keeping Jenkins and Trumaine.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Barron isn't a FS. He struggled in that role in TB. We're using him like a LB because that's where he's at his best...in the box.

Barron can man free strong safety.
I tried to blow it up....I want him at SS...on the field 100% of the time...and I'm moving TJ McDonald to Free....yep...that's what I'm doing....

I have a feeling Barron gets a bad rap, and that guy looks like he could play ANYWHERE on the field...I'd like to see if he couldn't play deep middle in Williams defense...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I tried to blow it up....I want him at SS...on the field 100% of the time...and I'm moving TJ McDonald to Free....yep...that's what I'm doing....

I have a feeling Barron gets a bad rap, and that guy looks like he could play ANYWHERE on the field...I'd like to see if he couldn't play deep middle in Williams defense...

I feel like both T.J. and Barron aren't being used optimally in that scenario. JMO.

Memento

Name
Jemma

Joyner makes a better free safety than McDonald. McDonald works best as a strong safety, and Barron, right now, is our starting SAM linebacker. In addition, you have Gaines in the slot with Jenkins and Johnson manning the boundaries. I think that's the optimal secondary starting next year if McLeod asks for too much.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Barron, right now, is our starting SAM linebacker.
This can't last in this division....In fact, given all the running teams in the NFC, I doubt we could beat a decent playoff team with Barron at LB....He'll get exploited.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This can't last in this division....In fact, given all the running teams in the NFC, I doubt we could beat a decent playoff team with Barron at LB....He'll get exploited.

We just played Green Bay and held them 17 offensive points at home. They did next to nothing on the ground. Barron has been playing LB for us since we acquired him last year.

Arizona uses SS Deonne Bucannon as their starting ILB.

It's not an issue in today's NFL...especially with a guy like Barron who plays like a LB and isn't undersized (6'2" 220).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

IMO Barron is a much better OSLB'er @ his size than he is as a deep safety where he is a liability. From what I have seen Barron is a plus playing @ LB'er for this team. I would not remove him from the field of play at any time.

As you know I am Rodney McLeod fan but if he wants a large contract at the same time as Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson, Hayes, Sims, Fairley, Quick, Zuerlein, Tim Barnes & Mark Barron?? He will just have to move on. Guess will will have to try McDonald or Davis or Bryant as our starting deep safety in 2016.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Gotta love Rams fans:cry:

Trying to fix something that isn't broken with Barron.

Memento

Name
Jemma
IMO Barron is a much better OSLB'er @ his size than he is as a deep safety where he is a liability. From what I have seen Barron is a plus playing @ LB'er for this team. I would not remove him from the field of play at any time.

As you know I am Rodney McLeod fan but if he wants a large contract at the same time as Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson, Hayes, Sims, Fairley, Quick, Zuerlein, Tim Barnes & Mark Barron?? He will just have to move on. Guess will will have to try McDonald or Davis or Bryant as our starting deep safety in 2016.

Joyner will be the free safety after this year. He has the tackling ability for it, the coverage ability to be the so-called angel, he's played the position before, and with Gaines coming back, he'll need to start somewhere. Might as well be at free safety.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Joyner will be the free safety after this year. He has the tackling ability for it, the coverage ability to be the so-called angel, he's played the position before, and with Gaines coming back, he'll need to start somewhere. Might as well be at free safety.
Its going to be very hard for this Ram organization :admin:to sign the four starting DB's (Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod & Barron). Thus our best options presently will not be there in 2016. Snead has beefed up the safety cadre dramatically since 2013 & Snead is better prepared to replace safeties Rodney McLeod & Mark Barron than he is to replace corners JJ & Trumaine.

I will agree with you that Lamarcus Joyner is our most talented FS on his roster that could be projected as a starter in 2016.
I am a big LJ #20 fan. His game is off the charts when its in front of him. His ability to read & react to whats in front of him is on the same level as Barron....outstanding. Butt-Monkey coming.......

I am not going to assume that corner EJ Gaines will be the same very good playing corner as we saw late in 2014 in the 2016 season. EJ's serious foot injury suffered early this season can be career ending. Its my position that EJ effectiveness will suffer in early & maybe...all of 2016. I consider him questionable as a starter @ CB in 2016. The best place for EJ in 2016 is the 3rd or 4th corner.

Now throw in that both our starting CB's will be UFA's. The Rams will be lucky to sign one of these two. When you mix that in with the damaged Gaines.....Joyner's need to be the starting CB Nickle in 2016 will be very high & probable. The only other CB on the roster is UDFA Roberson meaning we will draft one or 2 rookie corners in the 2016 draft.

I see the 3rd yr corner Marcus Roberson & one of the 2016 UFA Ram CB's starting with Joyner as the starting Nickle with EJ Gaines in relief of those 3 positions. With one of the rookies being the 5th corner.

If you just look at the 4 UFA DB's I would consider both those Rams corners much higher priority over the safeties. Snead/Fisher have had safety special teams ace Cody Davis being groomed now for 3 NFL seasons playing in 33 NFL games thus far. They will have 2014 4th rd pick safety Mo Alexander will be entering his 3rd season. The last but not least is our 4th Buckeye Christian Bryant whom I believe is starting material @ FS or SS. Bryant has something special all he needs is some experience in NFL game action.

In conclusion, if Snead gets real lucky & lands both those UFA corners....it will then free up LJ to move into the deep safety position.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Its going to be very hard for this Ram organization :admin:to sign the four starting DB's (Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod & Barron). Thus our best options presently will not be there in 2016. Snead has beefed up the safety cadre dramatically since 2013 & Snead is better prepared to replace safeties Rodney McLeod & Mark Barron than he is to replace corners JJ & Trumaine.

I will agree with you that Lamarcus Joyner is our most talented FS on his roster that could be projected as a starter in 2016.
I am a big LJ #20 fan. His game is off the charts when its in front of him. His ability to read & react to whats in front of him is on the same level as Barron....outstanding. Butt-Monkey coming.......

I am not going to assume that corner EJ Gaines will be the same very good playing corner as we saw late in 2014 in the 2016 season. EJ's serious foot injury suffered early this season can be career ending. Its my position that EJ effectiveness will suffer in early & maybe...all of 2016. I consider him questionable as a starter @ CB in 2016. The best place for EJ in 2016 is the 3rd or 4th corner.

Now throw in that both our starting CB's will be UFA's. The Rams will be lucky to sign one of these two. When you mix that in with the damaged Gaines.....Joyner's need to be the starting CB Nickle in 2016 will be very high & probable. The only other CB on the roster is UDFA Roberson meaning we will draft one or 2 rookie corners in the 2016 draft.

I see the 3rd yr corner Marcus Roberson & one of the 2016 UFA Ram CB's starting with Joyner as the starting Nickle with EJ Gaines in relief of those 3 positions. With one of the rookies being the 5th corner.

If you just look at the 4 UFA DB's I would consider both those Rams corners much higher priority over the safeties. Snead/Fisher have had safety special teams ace Cody Davis being groomed now for 3 NFL seasons playing in 33 NFL games thus far. They will have 2014 4th rd pick safety Mo Alexander will be entering his 3rd season. The last but not least is our Buckeye Christian Bryant whom I believe is starting material @ FS or SS. Bryant has something special all he needs is some experience in NFL game action.

In conclusion, if Snead gets real lucky & lands both those UFA corners....it will then free up LJ to move into the deep safety position.

I fully expect them to at least franchise Jenkins to try to get a long-term deal done. Johnson and Barron are also key re-signings, and I think they can swing it if they start winning and cut/restructure several players. The others are RFAs mostly, with the exception of Barnes. I doubt we re-sign McLeod.

Yes, we'll likely be drafting a cornerback...but not early unless someone like Kendall Fuller falls into our laps. Personally, I'd target Briean Boddy-Calhoun as a possible option. He's a ballhawk, willing tackler, and he can play outside and in the slot. I personally think that he's very underrated due to measurables.

So we'll have Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines, Roberson, and likely another cornerback. Where does that leave Joyner? Free safety.