Draft talk, mocks, prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone think if we added a CB like Denard (is see it unlikely, as I think Fish likes Jenks & Tru) that Jenks would bump inside to the slot. Imo his instincts would suit him very well in the slot and Jenks is definately our most athletic corner

Not sure. He could but I still think Jenkins can be a great outside CB.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Not sure. He could but I still think Jenkins can be a great outside CB.

Do you have your eyes on any CBs with inside out potential (particularly in the slot) in this years draft? Are there any guys this year like Tyrann Mathieu, that we could find in the mid rounds? I like some of the top CBs in the draft, but I can't see Fish giving up on Jenks and Tru on the outside this soon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey guys, I guess it's draft season again. I wanted to throw a mock up with a situation where we took Clowney. This may not be popular but I think Clowney is as good of a talent at DE as you'll find. Don't let the "red flags" deter you. This is a 6'6" 275 pound DE with 4.5 speed and the strength to put OLs on their arse. We have arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL. It's a match made in heaven.

Anyways, here's a few of the moves I'd make:
Fire
DC Tim Walton

Hire
DC Derek Mason

Analysis: I gave Walton the chance to prove to me that he was worth keeping and he proved to me that he was in over his head. He's installed an ineffective zone scheme that our players can't execute and don't get me started on everything else. Derek Mason is the defensive coordinator of the Stanford Cardinals. He worked with the Vikings as a DB Coach before going to Stanford in 2010 and also interned with the Rams during 90s. He's still young(early 40s) and has been lauded for his adjustments, ability to disguise looks and his prep work. His Stanford defenses have impressed the hell out of me.

Re-sign
Rodger Saffold OT/OG - Contract laden with escalators related to health
Jo-Lonn Dunbar OLB - Fairly cheap re-signing but he brings aggressiveness and swagger to our D

Release
Cortland Finnegan CB
Harvey Dahl OG
Kendall Langford DT
Scott Wells C

Free Agency
Jon Asamoah OG

Trade
Chris Long to the Raiders for a 2nd and a 5th

Analysis: We save a significant chunk of change by trading Long. The Raiders have a ridiculous amount of cap room and sorely need a pass rushing DE. It's a win-win trade that happens on draft day.

NFL Draft
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=120
Round 1 Pick #2 - JaDeveon Clowney DE South Carolina

Round 1 Pick #13 - Mike Evans WR Texas A&M

Round 2 Pick #6 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh

Round 2 Pick #13 - LaMarcus Joyner FS/CB Florida State

Round 3 Pick #13 - E.J. Gaines CB Missouri

Round 4 Pick #13 - David Fales QB San Jose State

Round 5 Pick #6 - Ja'Wuan James OT/OG Tennessee
Round 5 Pick #13 - Ryan Carrethers DT/NT Arkansas State
Round 6 Pick #13 - Denicos Allen OLB Michigan State
Round 7 Pick #13 - Spencer Long OG Nebraska
UDFA Choice - D.J. Adams HB Portland State (Had 11 TDs as a freshman at Maryland...new Maryland HC hated him so he transferred...put up 1600 yards and 19 TDs this year)

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Mike Evans
ZWR: Stedman Bailey
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Tim Barnes vs. Barrett Jones
RG: Jon Asamoah
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: JaDeveon Clowney
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

So...thoughts?(I'm sure some will hate the Long trade/Clowney pick)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you have your eyes on any CBs with inside out potential (particularly in the slot) in this years draft? Are there any guys this year like Tyrann Mathieu, that we could find in the mid rounds? I like some of the top CBs in the draft, but I can't see Fish giving up on Jenks and Tru on the outside this soon.

Funny you ask, LaMarcus Joyner from FSU is probably my favorite DB in this draft in terms of value. He can play either FS or slot CB. Plays a lot like the Honey Badger and hits EXTREMELY hard. Was one of the best safeties in CFB in 2012 and one of the hardest hitters. FSU needed him to play slot CB this year and he's excelled there as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wow jrry32.... just discussing the DL here ....you sure are offering up some very big changes to this DL here in this mock. I see what you have done here & it has taken you some time to work this out very clever! :sly: You better hope that the Raiders do not get any of the film of Long vs Winston from that Cards game or you will not get any draft picks for Chris Long! Winston beat Long all day long. Pathetic effort by long but he was being held on most every play!:mad:

These two NT's you get for the Chris Long trade??? not the normal fisher type interior DT's are they.. mock 2nd rder Aaron Donald 5-11 285 & 5th rder Ryan Carrethers 6-1 330 pounder along with 1st rder DE Clowney guess you feel this DL needs some serious improvements! ...not bad.

jrry32 If you dump the starting 6-6 311 Kendall Langford after the very good season ....I question this ... just looks to be very hard. I can easily see the probable release of our 4th DT Cudjo and his $1,075,000 salary in 2014 myself. Cudjo has not been seen since wk 10 & has been inactive for over 3 weeks. While the Rams have quietly move away from Cudjo they in the same manner have moved in with the 6-7 300 pound Conrath as our top rotational interior DL'er. Conrath will cost less than half what Cudjo does. But staying with your mock..

Jrry32 mock Rams 2014 DL will have a new much younger look....
DT/NT- Brockers- Donald(R)- Carrethers(R)
DT/DE- Hayes- Sims- Conrath(2nd yr)- Brodine(2nd yr)
DE- Quinn- Rivers(2nd yr)- Crowney(R)- Brown(2nd yr)

Likely starters
RDE- Quinn/Rivers/Brown
DT- Hayes/#2-Donald/Conrath/

DT- Brockers/ #5-Carrethers/Brodine
LDE- #1-Clowney/Sims

I am fine with your trade of CL for two DC #2 & #5 & replacing him with DE Clowney & adding Donald & Carrethers.

Last edited by a moderator:

duckhunter

Starter
Come on guys. Step right up and flame away.:woot:

I think it's fun to look at these out of the box options. I don't see it happening and I think Snisher avoids the controversy this option brings to stick with a more conservative approach and trade down/fill gaps with good ole scouting acumen. Fingers still burning from those two 2nd round picks two years ago and unsure of how their move up is viewed. They're swashbucklers, all right, and may be limited by the cap situation they put themselves in, but this may be more than they can pull off or willing to take on.

Thanks for at least broadening the horizon. Snisher would at least have to consider how to do the Clowney pick.

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
Has Clowney ever taken snaps from the left side? You could just cut Simms and have Clowney take his snaps plus move him inside like Fisher used to do with Jones in tenessee. Long---Brockers----Clowney----Quinn
Langford

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I am a proponent of always taking the great player regardless of position. So if they evaluate that Clowney is just that, I support taking him.

Quinn wasn't as good as Clowney and had similar questions about him, he didn't even play his senior year. Turned out to be a great move with the right coach.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Okay fellas, here's a stab at the most unlikely, but boner-popping mock off-season and draft:jerkoff::wow::D

Cut: Dahl RG
Wells C
Finnegan CB
Langford DT

Resign: Dunbar LB on the cheap
Saffold RG

(agree with jrry32 on these moves)

Big free agent splash: Byrd FS no secret, we all want him and know what he brings to the team, talent and leadership-wise

Draft (With us having the first overall pick):

TRADE!! Our #1 overall to Cleveland for their top 5 pick and Indy's first rounder, along with their 2nd round pick. I'm not looking for next year's one bc that is too valuable of a pick for them for moving up a few spots and they won't let it go. I know the skins did it, but the way the RGknee trade has worked out, gm's will be hesitant to throw in future firsts for a qb.

Alright, here we go (also, I'm assuming we are a top 10 pick:peek:):

Round 1: Cleveland's pick: Jake Matthews LT
St. Louis' pick: Blake Bortles QB (I know, I know he probably won't make it this far down but this is MY fantasy!!:sly:)
Indy's pick: Dennard CB

Round 2: Cleveland's pick: Donald DT
St. Louis' pick: Zack Martin OG

Round 3-7: BPA at key needs (apologize, haven't really studied guys for these rounds yet)

Projected Starters
QB: Bradford/ Bortles (sits on bench for whole year and learns or comes in to finish season)
XWR: Givens/Quick
LG: Martin
RG: Roger Saffold
RT: Jake Matthews

LDE: Chris Long
RCB: Dennard
SLCB: Janoris Jenkins
FS: Jarius Byrd

(A big thank you to jrry32 for this layout:bigup:)

GO ahead!! flame away:juiced::juiced:

jjab360

Legend
I'd rather take a receiver with the Bortles pick, but other than that looks fine to me.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'd rather take a receiver with the Bortles pick, but other than that looks fine to me.

Thanks for the response, man. While I wouldn't mind maybe looking at Evans or Watkins with one of our firsts, I think it'd be too early in the draft at Bortles' pick to consider a wideout. While I'm not sold on Givens as much as last year, I think we give him one more year on the outside with Bailey on the other side. Quick is what he is, a big receiver with the POTENTIAL to be great so I say give him one more year too to prove himself. If we do select Watkins or Evans, I wouldn't be mad, but I do believe better qb play can mask some of these guys' weaknesses. I just think Bortles will be a franchise qb who needs just a little more seasoning. Why not take the opportunity to select our future qb and our future left tackle in the same draft? :D He can sit behind Bradford on the depth chart and if he shows he's got ability to start right away and excel, why not consider moving on from Bradford? know there are a lot of Bradford fans out there, (including me to an extent), but the idea of moving on seems to scare people. I've already shared my feelings on him in this board so I won't dive into it again, but I think Bortles has a chance to be a STUD.

Then again, if Bortles decides to stay in school, I wouldn't mind the whole mock draft but instead, having Matthews with Cleveland's first and Watkins/Evans with our first.

PLEAS GOD LET US HAVE THE 1ST OVERALL PICK!!!:cool:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm going Madden status.

Sign Byrd/Saffold

Trade 3rd or 4th for Blackmon (Fish can handle him and one has to think Jags would want to get SOMETHING for him before its too late)

Draft Mike Evans.

jjab360

Legend
Thanks for the response, man. While I wouldn't mind maybe looking at Evans or Watkins with one of our firsts, I think it'd be too early in the draft at Bortles' pick to consider a wideout. While I'm not sold on Givens as much as last year, I think we give him one more year on the outside with Bailey on the other side. Quick is what he is, a big receiver with the POTENTIAL to be great so I say give him one more year too to prove himself. If we do select Watkins or Evans, I wouldn't be mad, but I do believe better qb play can mask some of these guys' weaknesses. I just think Bortles will be a franchise qb who needs just a little more seasoning. Why not take the opportunity to select our future qb and our future left tackle in the same draft? :D He can sit behind Bradford on the depth chart and if he shows he's got ability to start right away and excel, why not consider moving on from Bradford? know there are a lot of Bradford fans out there, (including me to an extent), but the idea of moving on seems to scare people. I've already shared my feelings on him in this board so I won't dive into it again, but I think Bortles has a chance to be a STUD.

Then again, if Bortles decides to stay in school, I wouldn't mind the whole mock draft but instead, having Matthews with Cleveland's first and Watkins/Evans with our first.

PLEAS GOD LET US HAVE THE 1ST OVERALL PICK!!!:cool:
I'm no QB expert and I haven't even seen that much of Bortles, but it makes absolutely no sense to draft a QB in the mid first round unless you're going to start him immediately in today's NFL. That would mean that either our FO has already given up on Bradford or there's a prospect that is just so good that we believe that he would provide an immediate upgrade over him. Like I said, I've only seen a little of Bortles, but I wasn't that impressed, and I'm pretty sure he would be getting a lot more hype right now if people believed he was that kind of prospect.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay fellas, here's a stab at the most unlikely, but boner-popping mock off-season and draft:jerkoff::wow::D

Cut: Dahl RG
Wells C
Finnegan CB
Langford DT

Resign: Dunbar LB on the cheap
Saffold RG

(agree with jrry32 on these moves)

Big free agent splash: Byrd FS no secret, we all want him and know what he brings to the team, talent and leadership-wise

Draft (With us having the first overall pick):

TRADE!! Our #1 overall to Cleveland for their top 5 pick and Indy's first rounder, along with their 2nd round pick. I'm not looking for next year's one bc that is too valuable of a pick for them for moving up a few spots and they won't let it go. I know the skins did it, but the way the RGknee trade has worked out, gm's will be hesitant to throw in future firsts for a qb.

Alright, here we go (also, I'm assuming we are a top 10 pick:peek:):

Round 1: Cleveland's pick: Jake Matthews LT
St. Louis' pick: Blake Bortles QB (I know, I know he probably won't make it this far down but this is MY fantasy!!:sly:)
Indy's pick: Dennard CB

Round 2: Cleveland's pick: Donald DT
St. Louis' pick: Zack Martin OG

Round 3-7: BPA at key needs (apologize, haven't really studied guys for these rounds yet)

Projected Starters
QB: Bradford/ Bortles (sits on bench for whole year and learns or comes in to finish season)
XWR: Givens/Quick
LG: Martin
RG: Roger Saffold
RT: Jake Matthews

LDE: Chris Long
RCB: Dennard
SLCB: Janoris Jenkins
FS: Jarius Byrd

(A big thank you to jrry32 for this layout:bigup:)

GO ahead!! flame away:juiced::juiced:

I like it. I love Bortles but I'm still not sure how I feel about taking him because I still support Bradford. The Cleveland trade seems like a lot. It's possible though.

Wow jrry32.... just discussing the DL here ....you sure are offering up some very big changes to this DL here in this mock. I see what you have done here & it has taken you some time to work this out very clever! :sly: You better hope that the Raiders do not get any of the film of Long vs Winston from that Cards game or you will not get any draft picks for Chris Long! Winston beat Long all day long. Pathetic effort by long but he was being held on most every play!:mad:

These two NT's you get for the Chris Long trade??? not the normal fisher type interior DT's are they.. mock 2nd rder Aaron Donald 5-11 285 & 5th rder Ryan Carrethers 6-1 330 pounder along with 1st rder DE Clowney guess you feel this DL needs some serious improvements! ...not bad.

jrry32 If you dump the starting 6-6 311 Kendall Langford after the very good season ....I question this ... just looks to be very hard. I can easily see the probable release of our 4th DT Cudjo and his $1,075,000 salary in 2014 myself. Cudjo has not been seen since wk 10 & has been inactive for over 3 weeks. While the Rams have quietly move away from Cudjo they in the same manner have moved in with the 6-7 300 pound Conrath as our top rotational interior DL'er. Conrath will cost less than half what Cudjo does. But staying with your mock..

Jrry32 mock Rams 2014 DL will have a new much younger look....
DT/NT- Brockers- Donald(R)- Carrethers(R)
DT/DE- Hayes- Sims- Conrath(2nd yr)- Brodine(2nd yr)
DE- Quinn- Rivers(2nd yr)- Crowney(R)- Brown(2nd yr)

Likely starters
RDE- Quinn/Rivers/Brown
DT- Hayes/#2-Donald/Conrath/

DT- Brockers/ #5-Carrethers/Brodine
LDE- #1-Clowney/Sims

I am fine with your trade of CL for two DC #2 & #5 & replacing him with DE Clowney & adding Donald & Carrethers.

I don't think he has had a very good season. He's had some nice plays but teams have run most successfully at him and Chris Long. I just don't think he's worth what he's getting paid and I think Donald can be game changer. It would give us four starting DLs that give teams absolute fits when they're not doubled.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I like it. I love Bortles but I'm still not sure how I feel about taking him because I still support Bradford. The Cleveland trade seems like a lot. It's possible though.

I don't think he has had a very good season. He's had some nice plays but teams have run most successfully at him and Chris Long. I just don't think he's worth what he's getting paid and I think Donald can be game changer. It would give us four starting DLs that give teams absolute fits when they're not doubled.

Funny you mentioned that tidbit about the trade with Cleveland. I thought it was a bit much myself for them to give up that much, but hey if you want the top guy you have to give up some premium picks sometimes. I do believe they have a few multiple round selections tho so the loss of a second wouldn't be that brutal. In any case, I'd throw in our forth, or even third, to get that deal done.

I'm no QB expert and I haven't even seen that much of Bortles, but it makes absolutely no sense to draft a QB in the mid first round unless you're going to start him immediately in today's NFL. That would mean that either our FO has already given up on Bradford or there's a prospect that is just so good that we believe that he would provide an immediate upgrade over him. Like I said, I've only seen a little of Bortles, but I wasn't that impressed, and I'm pretty sure he would be getting a lot more hype right now if people believed he was that kind of prospect.

Sorry man but hype doesn't mean squat. Just look at all the Reggie Bush's and Matt Leinart's of the world. Hype is for media outlets to boost draft ratings and glam up the whole draft process by having fans focus on "can't miss" prospects. Case in point, Russell Wilson, who didn't receive crazy hype coming out of college and look how he's turned out. Another interesting thing to consider too is that I've read those close to NFL scouts and executives say these guys have had their eyes on Bortles for a while and have come to recognize his talents a lot earlier than many draft outlets. He's someone who will FLY up draft boards if he comes out.

And finally, don't forget about the Aaron Rogers/Kap model. It's okay to sit a guy a year to have him learn the system without getting him killed. It would allow our line to gel and become a cohesive unit, limiting the risk of our future qb from being blasted and shell-shocked, ala Bulger and too some extent, Bradford. And if he shows he's ready to play ball right away, maybe we can dangle Bradford during training camp to a team that missed out on a qb and get something in return, if not, cut his huge salary. I know it's wishful dreaming, at least for me, but I'd love to have Bortles and Matthews become our cornerstones in key positions together, and have the extra cap from Sam's release to sign our other home-grown talent.

Again, it's a pipe dream in its ultimate definition, but a guy can dream, right??!!:razz::razz:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not really. He's coming from a smaller school and the media are notoriously late on those type of prospects. I've had him on my radar for over a year and I'd expect the same from the NFL guys even if they don't rate him as highly. But if we want to talk hype...
ESPN analyst Brian Griese said during Saturday's UCF-SMU game that redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles was his No. 1 quarterback prospect in the 2014 NFL Draft.
ESPN college football analyst Todd McShay ranks Bortles as the second-best quarterback in the draft pool and the 14th-best overall player. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound quarterback was recruited as a tight end and still possesses the size, strength and athleticism he did back then. "He has great size and mobility," NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. "He doesn't have a huge arm, but it's plenty strong enough to make all the throws. The early background reports are glowing." Dec 9 - 9:03 PM
During UCF's game against SMU, ESPN's Brian Griese said some NFL teams believe redshirt junior Blake Borltes is the No. 1 QB in the country.

The statement is not as far fetched as it sounds, and Bortles likely did not draw a lot of early attention because many expect him to return next year. Many evaluators will see Andrew Luck-like mannerisms in his play, specifically pocket movement and release. Bortles has not announced his NFL decision at this time. Griese added that bortles is his No. 1 prospect at the position, with Johnny Manziel at No. 2.
UCF redshirt junior Blake Bortles ranks as Scouts Inc.'s No. 2 QB in the 2014 class.

Marcus Mariota was the top ranked passer, but he has been removed from the list. Teddy Bridgewater earned a grade of 93, but Bortles is just behind with a 92. All indications point to Bortles returning, but recent developments in the quarterback group could launch him to the NFL. His mannerisms remind us a lot of Andrew Luck, but he will probably earn a "poor man's version" tag with that comparison.
NFL.com's Charles Davis believes UCF redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles' NFL potential is steadily rising.

"How about this year, 15 touchdowns, four interceptions... but his leadership is the best part of it," Davis said. "He got in the huddle in the Louisville game when they were down late and said, "Guys isn't this where we want to be?" Bortles has been on NFL radars for quite some time, and should enter next season as one of the top draft-eligible prospects at his position.

I'll stop there. Point is that there's definitely hype. I've made an effort to watch almost every single game this year because I thought he was a first round talent when watching him last year. He's become a bit of a mancrush for me but this kid is definitely going to get a lot of play when he comes out. Whether it's this year or next year, he's a first round talent.