Draft talk, mocks, prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the Boldin move. I think we desperately need vet leadership for our young WRs, I think this is something we've been lacking for years. To me this is the best move of the entire offseason if we would do it, honestly.

What about this Joyner kid? He is listed as 5'8'' and I know you like him a lot, but I feel like we need a bigger more physical presence in our secondary. And you have him at FS but he's a CB, right? I was a huge advocate of doing this exact move last year with Mathieu and was laughed at for the idea on realramsfans...then the Cards did exactly that and it is working out very well for them. Guess I was right there. Perhaps you are right on par with that idea here, and if so it would be awesome.

Even the coach has identified our secondary as an issue. So if Dennard runs a good 40 (under 4.5) and he is there at pick 5, do you see us passing? I personally do not...

He's playing CB this year. He played FS last year. I also had Mathieu in quite a few of my mocks last year.

As far as us needing a bigger, more physical presence...I wouldn't assume because Joyner's small that he's not physical. Joyner is small at 5'8" but he's a well built 5'8". He's built like a HB(5'8" 195-200). And he hits...hard.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Okay, time for my holiday mock draft and free agency period! Ready to face insanity and trades galore (as well as an attempt at guessing the Josh Gordy pick)? No? Well, let's do it anyway!

Resign: Rodger Saffold, Tim Barnes, Kellen Clemens (because really, we do need a veteran option).

Cut: Cortland Finnegan, Harvey Dahl, Scott Wells, Kendall Langford, Jared Cook, Isaiah Pead.

I know, I know, you're shocked that I'm giving up on Cook after one year. I just feel that he's too inconsistent for what he's getting paid to do. Langford is the only one I'd be tempted to keep, but cutting him saves us money, and there are better options in this draft, so...yeah. And Pead, in my honest opinion, is a complete bust.

#2 overall (via Redskins): TRADED to the Cleveland Browns for picks #5 (first round), #23 (first round), and #37 (second round).

Cleveland grabs the next best quarterback, as Houston takes Teddy Bridgewater with the number one overall pick. In exchange, we get their first round picks and a second...which leads me to:

#5 overall (via Browns): TRADED to the Miami Dolphins for picks #19 (first round), #51 (second round), #115 (fourth round), and a 2015 second round pick.

Miami grabs Jake Matthews while we move back and score a bounty of picks. I know that you guys are probably screaming at me for not grabbing Matthews, but I don't think we need a tackle in the first round at the moment. Not with Long and Barksdale playing well with Saffold as a potential option.

#14 overall: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon. (Junior, 5'10", 185 lbs)

Obviously we need a cornerback. I debated between Ekpre-Olomu and Darqueze Dennard for the longest time, but I eventually decided on the former because of his elite coverage skills, his surprising physicality for his size, and his closing speed. He's actually received comparisons to a rich man's Cortland Finnegan, interestingly enough.

#19 overall (via Dolphins): Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota (RS Senior, 6'6", 311 lbs).

Yeah, so Langford's gone. This is the man who replaces him. I've had Hageman at the top of my wish list for a very long time. He's a touch inconsistent, but he's been a dangerous pass-rusher for Minnesota while getting double-teamed by two offensive linemen on every snap. And you simply don't teach 6'6" with vine-like arms, brute strength, and amazing quickness like he has.

#23 overall (via Browns): Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State (RS Sophomore, 6'5", 242 lbs).

Surprised with this pick? Benjamin is probably going to enter the draft because he's already twenty-three years old. But he's definitely worth this pick. One scout already has compared him to a combination of Calvin Johnson and Alshon Jeffery. He isn't as polished as they were at this stage of their careers, but there's still time, and he's just too much of an elite and rare talent to pass up.

#37 overall (via Browns): Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington (Junior, 6'6", 272 lbs).

Here we get a true tight end/matchup nightmare to replace Jared Cook. Seferian-Jenkins, who doubles as a small forward for the Huskies basketball team, was one of the most dominant tight ends last year. This year, however, has not gone as planned. A DUI arrest and a down year have dropped his stock significantly, to the point where he's become a borderline first round pick instead of the top fifteen player that he was supposed to be. But Seferian-Jenkins definitely shows more effort in blocking than Cook ever did, and his receiving skills are arguably better, even though he's not the athlete that Cook is.

#46 overall: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA (RS Junior, 6'3", 305 lbs).

Here is a guard to replace Chris Williams. Su'a-Filo is a prospect that I really like a lot. He currently plays left tackle for the Bruins, but he'll have to move to guard for the NFL. He may not be a mauler, but he does play with a mean streak, he will finish blocks, and his pass-protection is superb. This is a guard you can build around for the future of the offensive line.

#51 overall (via Dolphins): Deone Bucannon, FS, Washington State (Senior, 6'1", 215 lbs).

Here we get the ballhawking free safety that we all covet. Bucannon is amazing in coverage, is a willing run-defender, and has improved every single year. The problem? He's a really shitty tackler, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. His tackling technique needs to be completely refined because he only goes for the big hit and doesn't wrap up ever. But tackling is something that can be taught. The skill and size that Bucannon has can't.

#78 overall: E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri (Senior, 5'9", 195 lbs).

Another cornerback? Well, it's not like we don't need them; we're ranked around the bottom in pass defense despite our relentless pass-rush. And besides, Gaines is probably one of the better cornerbacks in the SEC. In spite of his size, Gaines is a willing run-supporter, has excellent coverage skills, and is a valuable contributor on special teams. Some nagging injuries and his size drop him to the third round, but in my opinion, he could eventually wind up as a great nickleback somewhere down the road.

#110 overall: Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU (Junior, 6'2", 295 lbs).

Here I say "Screw need" and take the best available player, someone who can potentially replace one of Cudjo or Conrath (likely Cudjo). Johnson reportedly runs a 4.7, but he had a lackluster year statistically. Then again, Michael Brockers didn't have the best year either, and look how he's turned out. Johnson could be yet another key cog in our pass-rushing rotation, and - like with most of my picks - you simply can't teach athleticism.

#115 overall (via Dolphins): Yawin Smallwood, OLB/ILB, Connecticut (RS Junior, 6'3", 236 lbs).

Another BPA scenario, but it's possible. Smallwood has already declared for the draft, and he has a really intriguing skillset. He excels at getting off blocks and making the sure tackle, which will help our run defense tremendously. He's easily an upgrade over Jo-Lonn Dunbar, who has not looked even remotely the same after his suspension for PEDs. All in all, he's a playmaker and a good value this late in the draft.

#142 overall: Wesley Johnson, OT/OG/C, Vanderbilt (RS Senior, 6'5", 305 lbs).

Here we get a versatile lineman who can (and has) play(ed) literally every position on the line. Johnson isn't going to wow you; he's just going to come in, do his job, and be a valuable contributor to a team. Remarkably consistent, Johnson has committed only two holding penalties in fifty games started and has given up only 7.5 sacks in over a thousand passing plays. His bulk and strength aren't all that great, which causes his run-blocking to suffer as a result. But all in all, adding him would be key for our depth.

#174 overall: Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell (Senior, 6'4", 229 lbs).

Mathews is one of the best quarterbacks that the Ivy League has ever seen. Unfortunately, he had an awful year which exposed a lot of his flaws. His accuracy really takes a hit when he moves around, he tends to be a statue in the pocket, and he will commit unnecessary turnovers to make a play. But on the good side, he has the ability to make every throw when given enough time. He's insurance for Sam Bradford in case the ACL rehab doesn't go as planned.

#183 overall (via Colts): Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (RS Senior, 6'0", 220 lbs).

Yet another cornerback for our porous secondary. Exum is very intriguing: he's a bigger cornerback who can also play as a safety. He's coming off of a knee injury, so he will take a while to groom...but he could end up being an excellent special teams player for us.

#206 overall: Henry Josey, RB, Missouri (RS Junior, 5'10", 190 lbs).

You may think that it's a homer pick. I'm telling you that Josey has what it takes to succeed in the NFL. He's most well-known for his remarkable recovery from a horrible knee injury that took a year-and-a-half to heal properly. There were questions about his career...but he eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark for second time in his brief career as a Tiger, and scored 11 touchdowns to boot. He's quick, elusive, catches the ball out of the backfield, blocks with enthusiasm, and he has the heart and athleticism to succeed in this league as a third down scat back. Oh, and did I mention that he put up his stats while splitting carries with two other running backs?

Key UDFAs: Kaneakua Friel (TE, BYU), Michael Philipp (OT/OG, Oregon State), Cornelius Lucas (OT, Kansas State), Trey Millard (FB, Oklahoma), Chaz Sutton (DE, South Carolina).

Friel gives us another tight end with potential, Philipp was a top left tackle who has struggled through injuries, Lucas is huge and nimble but also soft, Millard had a recent knee injury but is a great fullback who can literally do everything, and Sutton is a former five-star recruit who never really got playing time until his senior year.

QB: Sam Bradford, Jeff Mathews, Kellen Clemens.
RB: Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Daryl Richardson, Henry Josey.
FB: Trey Millard.
WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey, Chris Givens, Austin Pettis.
TE: Lance Kendricks, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Cory Harkey, Kaneakua Friel.
OL: Jake Long, Rodger Saffold, Barrett Jones, Joe Barksdale, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Tim Barnes, Wesley Johnson, Michael Philipp, Cornelius Lucas.
DE: Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Chaz Sutton.
DT: Michael Brockers, Ra'Shede Hageman, Anthony Johnson, Matt Conrath/Jermelle Cudjo.
LB: James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree, Yawin Smallwood, Ray Ray Armstrong, Darin Bates, Phillip Steward.
CB: Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, E.J. Gaines, Antone Exum.
S: T.J. McDonald, Deone Bucannon, Rodney McLeod, Matt Daniels, Cody Davis.
ST: Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

All thoughts are appreciated. Happy holidays!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cutting Jared Cook ends up costing us $5 million dollars(and I mean a NET LOSS of $5 million). He's here next year regardless.

I also like Dennard and Verrett more than Ekpre-Olomu. Benjamin being a combo of Calvin and Alshon is a pretty big embellishment on that scout's part imo. I think Smallwood goes in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I like the Josey and Exum picks though.

ausmurp

Starter
Haven't really seen him. Been focused on Dennard when I watch Michigan State.

This dude is good. In the Big 10 championship, he jumped over one of OSUs WRs (over his back) on a perfect throw, and almost picked it off. I like Drummond a lot and think he can be had as a gem later in the draft. He is underrated.

lockdnram21

Legend
This dude is good. In the Big 10 championship, he jumped over one of OSUs WRs (over his back) on a perfect throw, and almost picked it off. I like Drummond a lot and think he can be had as a gem later in the draft. He is underrated.

i think him paired with tj sould be good

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not bad Memphis ...always nice to see your posts when you visit us....you are a purist BPA poster! You & I go back many years debating that...I think I have lost them all... but with enjoyment.

Interesting thought Memphis on the extra draft picks coming from Chris Long trade....would any-other NFL team desire that monster of a cap busting contact that would come with Chris long??? CL has been MIA in many games this season. He has been handled @ times by many average ORT's. Not so sure CL would bring a bounty of picks with that Contract..I will have to look at it. Snead & Fisher would have to think that the drafting of Jadeveon would bring great improvement @ the LDE post. I think it would & I would find it very hard to pass on Jadeveon if he was there no matter how thick & skilled we are @ DE.

Typically any type of move for a player like Long would call for his new team to re-do his contract to make it more cap friendly.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Salary Cap Releases:
Scott Wells (extra $4.5 Million cap space)
Harvey Dahl (extra $4.0 Million cap space)
Cortland Finnegan (extra $7 million cap space)

Rams Additions:
Harvey Dahl, OG, Rams (1 Year $2 million)
Fernando Velasco, C/G, Steelers (Veteran Minimum to Compete)
Robert Turner, C/G, Titans (Veteran Minimum to Compete)
Miles Austin, WR, Cowboys (after upcoming salary cap cut)

Note: If Austin still wants to get paid like a superstar after this sub-par season then replace his name with Kenny Britt on a cheap 1 year re-establish yourself type deal.

TRADE:
Rams trade former 2012 2nd rounder RB Isaiah Pead
Rams get former Miami Dolphins 2012 2nd rounder OT Jonathan Martin (new swing tackle).

Though I have some doubts as to how the final draft order will shake out, I'll go with what we have today.

1) JaDeveon Clowney DE South Carolina*
clowney1-300x224.jpg

Takes Eugene Sims spot in the DE rotation as a rookie and makes a then 30 year old Chris Long (and his HUGE contract) trade bait in 2015

1) Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
1201626.jpg

Nicknamed “No-Fly Zone,” this year’s Jim Thorpe Award winner who would be a welcome addition to replace Finnegan.

2) La’el Collins, OL, LSU*
lcollinsjpg-6957eddf05eee389.jpg

Former guard played played LT this season, but seems better suited on the interior ala Rodger Saffold. Expected starter at LG.

3) Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford*
stanford_ed_reynolds.jpg

Underrated, smart, physical playmaker seems to be a nice fit for a Jeff Fisher team.

4) Chris Watt, OG, Notre Dame
Chris-Watt-Notre-Dame.jpg

Experienced interior road grader needed to compete against the veterans.

5) Brent Urban, DT, Virginia
5202c84e67a60.preview-300.jpg

Upside selection for Dline Coach Mike Waufle who seems to prefer his DTs tall. And at 6‘6,” Urban fits the bill.

6) Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State
1199946.jpg

Diamond in the rough chance. Wenning made Ball State passing records fall by the wayside.

7) David Fluellen, RB, Toledo
fluellen.jpg

One of the nations top RBs when healthy but RBs tend to last longer on draft day.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I have question. While Clowney plays DE now, is it foreseeable down the road, that he could add the weight to move him inside? I think he has the frame for it and someone has already said he would be a proto type DE in a 3-4. How hard would it be for him to gain 30 or so lbs and take over for Langford in 2015?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Lee is putting on a show with USC in the Las Vegas Bowl

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have question. While Clowney plays DE now, is it foreseeable down the road, that he could add the weight to move him inside? I think he has the frame for it and someone has already said he would be a proto type DE in a 3-4. How hard would it be for him to gain 30 or so lbs and take over for Langford in 2015?

No. Don't do that. :wink:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Jake Matthews looking more likely with Long's injury. Saffold's stock really went up today!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Jake Matthews looking more likely with Long's injury. Saffold's stock really went up today!

Saffold stepping in at LT today and performing well probably signals the end of his tenure with the Rams. Some team is going to step up and pay him tackle money to move on, and with his injury history I say good luck, and thanks for your contributions to the team.

I like Matthews a lot (and would love to see him in the horns), but I think that the Rams may end up trading down too far to select him. The Rams may end up with somebody like Erving or Kounandijo (sp?) though, which would by no means be a bad thing.

Oh, and I still want absolutely no part of Clowney.
None.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Saffold stepping in at LT today and performing well probably signals the end of his tenure with the Rams. Some team is going to step up and pay him tackle money to move on, and with his injury history I say good luck, and thanks for your contributions to the team.

I like Matthews a lot (and would love to see him in the horns), but I think that the Rams may end up trading down too far to select him. The Rams may end up with somebody like Erving or Kounandijo (sp?) though, which would by no means be a bad thing.

Oh, and I still want absolutely no part of Clowney.
None.
Ignoring need on the Oline would be foolish if they don't have Saffold! Clowney not a need for our defense!

jjab360

Legend
Saffold stepping in at LT today and performing well probably signals the end of his tenure with the Rams.
That's an odd conclusion to come to. I'd be absolutely astounded if the Rams didn't re-sign arguably their best and most versatile O-lineman. Who's going to appreciate his talents more than we do?

jjab360

Legend
Ignoring need on the Oline would be foolish if they don't have Saffold! Clowney not a need for our defense!
Drafting for positional need at the top of the draft is what landed us with Jason Smith.:slap:

What we really need are special players, which Clowney is.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Drafting for positional need at the top of the draft is what landed us with Jason Smith.:slap:

What we really need are special players, which Clowney is.
I expect we don't stay 2nd. They trade down for more high picks is my thinking.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

I agree.
That's why I wrote that I'd like for the Rams to draft a tackle, and that's why I said I don't want the Rams to draft Clowney.

Feels like you're implying I wrote the opposite.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
That's an odd conclusion to come to. I'd be absolutely astounded if the Rams didn't re-sign arguably their best and most versatile O-lineman. Who's going to appreciate his talents more than we do?

Someone who needs a LT and has more money to spend than the Rams.

Investing the kind of money it would take to keep Saffold, considering his injury history, seems like a mistake to me.