Draft: Rams picking #10 instead of #15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
From what I've just seen on a draft order page, IF our Rams would have won the last 2 games and finished 8-8 ... we would have been picking at #15 in the draft.
So my questions are, because I honestly don't know for sure:

How much more "power" do we have picking at #10 rather than at #15?

Is it a huge difference ... those 5 slots?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a huge enough difference to mean more than those two wins.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a huge enough difference to mean more than those two wins.
Interesting observation. Thanks for sharing. Here's what I'm gonna research though. I want to see, for the last 2 draft years, which exact players went at slots 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. That will be interesting. To me anyway, haha. :) Because then I could theoretically say that those are the TYPES of players we would have missed out on.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I think for completeness, you should look at who went 10 and who went 15, and ask if there is much difference between the quality of said players. Looking at who went 11, 12, 13, and 14 doesn't really tell you much without knowing who you actually could have had at 15. Just IMO of course :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think for completeness, you should look at who went 10 and who went 15, and ask if there is much difference between the quality of said players. Looking at who went 11, 12, 13, and 14 doesn't really tell you much without knowing who you actually could have had at 15. Just IMO of course :)

#10 - http://pfref.com/tiny/FGamo
#15 - http://pfref.com/tiny/YgqW6

All players picked from 2000 to 2014.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
#10 - http://pfref.com/tiny/FGamo
#15 - http://pfref.com/tiny/YgqW6

All players picked from 2000 to 2014.
Thanks Jrry, that leads me to agree with you. No difference at all really. If anything, the better players were the #15 picks rather than the #10's.
Of course this all means nothing when it comes to projecting the quality of upcoming players, but it is interesting to look into.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The difference is probably a 3rd round pick / maybe even a 2nd - at least that is likely the cost to move up from 15 to 10 if you wanted to.

Of course, you may get the better player at 15 than the team who picks 10th but that's hindsight and the same is true of comparing a 6th round pick to a first round pick.

It's a pretty big deal if you ask me - especially if a top tier guy falls like Aaron Donald did last year. I would have rather won - because I like winning - but the 10th pick beats the 15th by quite a bit in my book.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
There's a bit more ammunition for trading, but if someone smart is drafting, there won't be all that much difference between the picks.

I stand by rather having the wins.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I say we trade back to 22ish and take 2nd or 3rd extra and draft Mr. Hundred with the first. :) unless ofc there is a awesome Aaron Donald type of OL there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The wins would have been bug. The Rams finished the season with 3 losses. That really sucks.

However I recall some years where the talent really dropped off around 10. The year St. Louis took Carricker was like that, same for the year they took Tye Hill. It is late and I didnt look them up but I think those are the same years that The Niners were picking ahead of us and ended up with Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis. Big difference in talent compared to the Rams picks.

paceram

Pro Bowler
The wins would have been bug. The Rams finished the season with 3 losses. That really sucks.

However I recall some years where the talent really dropped off around 10. The year St. Louis took Carricker was like that, same for the year they took Tye Hill. It is late and I didnt look them up but I think those are the same years that The Niners were picking ahead of us and ended up with Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis. Big difference in talent compared to the Rams picks.

Is that the year the Rams made the trade with the Bears so they could get Tye Hill and Claude Wroten (That worked real well for the Rams!)?

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a pretty big deal if you ask me - especially if a top tier guy falls like Aaron Donald did last year. I would have rather won - because I like winning - but the 10th pick beats the 15th by quite a bit in my book.

That is pretty much my thoughts also. Would like to have pummeled the hated Seahawks, but the 10th pick is going to have more value than we may know. Watch, come April we're gonna be happy about it.

Rams0307

So far, I'm seeing the 10th pick as much better than the 15th pick. But there's no way of knowing until the draft because a stud player could fall to 15 that we don't anticipate right now. For example, I'll bet that teams as a whole don't have Mariota rated as highly as the draft pundits do.