Draft QB predictions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm like a lone voice in the wilderness on some of these QBs, so for posterity here's how I think this draft is gonna shape up for the QB draft order and why:

1. Mariota. He has it all: big arm, wheels, height, the measurables are there for the scouts to go crazy projecting him along with uncanny accuracy on the move. He will likely go 1 overall and will need to adjust to the NFL game but until that point his athleticism is outstanding. Likely will start with inconsistent results unless a team with a "now" roster with the exception of QB trades up for him. I suspect the Rams will end up grading him very, very high given that he is a better-passing version of Colon Krapondick with an ability to keep his eyes downfield and throw accurately at full speed. If the Rams move up for anyone, it will be Mariota.

2. Winston. Teams are going to be terrified of him but it won't matter. That's how talented he is, and I absolutely love his tendency to challenge his teammates he is an excellent leader. 2nd QB taken, like with Mariota has all the measurables. I believe his rookie season will go pretty well but long term he will fail in the NFL because I don't think he will be dedicated enough to be a top QB in the NFL. Talent alone won't get him there and he will be the latest high end talent to demonstrate much of what determines success at that level is desire and willingness to work your butt off, study film of opponents, etc. I suspect the Rams will grade him high, but I suspect they'll get bad vibes from insider info from the Fla State coaching staff, which the best and most connected coaches are privy to.

3. Mannion. He will rise to late first or second round at the least (I have seen him listed as late as 5th round which is pretty funny to me, we'll see if I'm right). His junior year showed what he can do with better talent around him. This year the team around him struggled and he handled himself quite well throughout shouldering the whole deal as the leader. Only knock on him I have is his feet in the pocket particularly with pressure, however he comes with advantages too. Probably the most ready of all QBs to play now, dude has a lot of games played being required to pre-snap read. Long term I think he will be an average to above average QB depending on what type system he ends up in. Not elite, but he's gonna play for a long time in the NFL and he's resilient/stays healthy.

4. Petty. If he comes out I think he will be the fourth QB taken for a couple reasons: he is a very, very good passer in spite of his smaller number of snaps/games played. Also, he is athletic and dangerous on the move to defenses. In this class he's a guy you can get outside that early range that actually has a high ceiling and who is more than just a runner. Takes a lot of hits in games I watch, and it shows with the injuries which I don't like, however the dude is tough as nails and had to be pulled out of the game where he injured his back. Probably third round but may sneak into the second. I think he'll end up being drafted by a good team, and will end up the best QB from this class.

5. Hundley. At this point we're going to see Hundley and Bridge vs Carden. Do you want the athletic QB who needs work in the passing game? Or the QB who is a better passer with a suspect arm in Carden. I think Hundley is the best of the bunch at this point, and like with Petty we are looking at third round and maybe second depending on teams saying screw it let's just reach for what we need here. Hundley has the measurables and a high ceiling but I do not like his tendency to drop his eyes with the pass rush. Guys who do that struggle in the NFL as it is an avalanche type tendency where they will see loaded boxes and overloaded blitzes until they get rid of the tencency. I think Hundley succeeds long term though, and like with Mannion will be solid to above average but not elite.

6. Bridge. He's gonna rise (I have seen some listing him around 6th round which is way too low) but I don't think he'll go before Hundley. Incredibly high ceiling, and he's a good example of a low risk QB with high reward capabilities which is why I see him around the 4th at the latest. I see him not doing much his first season or two but will probably come on by his third year to either win a job or establish himself as an NFL QB.

7. Prescott. The Mullen-Tebow connection is too strong for me to really consider him at this point but some team will. Like with Tebow he will either find another position or fail.

Favorite late round QB:

* Halliday. Gambler with a live arm, but who needs to improve his footwork. Looks like he needs to put on some muscle too. Could be a big riser if he can improve footwork during the college all star games because the dude can wing it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brandon Bridge will be the Quarterback du jour of this draft and one can understand why because of his size and other abilities. Mannion's arm strength will come under scrutiny as will Hundley's ability to read defenses.

One QB you left off the list is Garrett Grayson from Colorado State...I think he could rise as well because of arm strength, accuracy and being athletic inside the pocket.

However, Bridge will be the darling of the draft after the first two and I think he'll do well at the combine and could be a late second or early third IMO.

Rams0307

Agree with some of your list, but I think Petty should go undrafted. I wouldn't touch that guy.

Athos

Legend
However, Bridge will be the darling of the draft after the first two and I think he'll do well at the combine and could be a late second or early third IMO.

Holy balls that'd show just how piss poor this draft class is. The dude has hardly any college experience passing the ball and what little he has of it, he hasn't been very good at. Big arm, good size, little else because he just doesn't pass the ball. Scary. No way. Just no way do I see that. This is someone you'd likely have to stash on your PS for 2-3 years. A very, very poor man's Kraperdink.

Does a nice job scanning from the pocket and pushing the ball downfield with talent that reminds me of a less refined Colin Kaepernick.

No thanks.

I saw more of Prescott last night. Dude absolutely sucks. A right-handed Tim Teblow is a good comparison. Such poor decision making and a meh arm.

Bleh on Mannion right now.

At this point, if I'm the Rams and feel comfortable with where this team is, I sell off the 2016-17 1st rounders for Mariota.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
This really shows how poor this qb class is. One guy ive recently been introduced to is Jacoby Brissett QB, N.C. State Height: 6-3. Weight: 239. What do you guys think of him, hes got good size and mobility with a strong arm.

FRO

Legend
This really shows how poor this qb class is. One guy ive recently been introduced to is Jacoby Brissett QB, N.C. State Height: 6-3. Weight: 239. What do you guys think of him, hes got good size and mobility with a strong arm.
He was pretty sucky when I watched him this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brandon Bridge will be the Quarterback du jour of this draft and one can understand why because of his size and other abilities. Mannion's arm strength will come under scrutiny as will Hundley's ability to read defenses.

One QB you left off the list is Garrett Grayson from Colorado State...I think he could rise as well because of arm strength, accuracy and being athletic inside the pocket.

I've been making time to watch and focus on QBs given the Rams' need at the position, but Grayson is the guy I have seen the least. I need to watch more of his games to have a real feel for him he's definitely on my Xmas leave list.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've been making time to watch and focus on QBs given the Rams' need at the position, but Grayson is the guy I have seen the least. I need to watch more of his games to have a real feel for him he's definitely on my Xmas leave list.

Well, he dons the right helmet and I love his number!
454486166-quarterback-garrett-grayson-of-the-colorado-gettyimages.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3. Mannion. He will rise to late first or second round at the least (I have seen him listed as late as 5th round which is pretty funny to me, we'll see if I'm right). His junior year showed what he can do with better talent around him. This year the team around him struggled and he handled himself quite well throughout shouldering the whole deal as the leader. Only knock on him I have is his feet in the pocket particularly with pressure, however he comes with advantages too. Probably the most ready of all QBs to play now, dude has a lot of games played being required to pre-snap read. Long term I think he will be an average to above average QB depending on what type system he ends up in. Not elite, but he's gonna play for a long time in the NFL and he's resilient/stays healthy.

Merlin, I respect the work you put in but I have to disagree with you here. I'd place a bet right now that Mannion will not sniff the second round. Ugly throwing motion, mediocre athleticism, poor under pressure, deep ball is inconsistent and inaccurate, and the 2013 season was the only year where he wasn't average. His accuracy is also not impressive.

He had talent around him as a sophomore as well...more talent than he had as a junior(he had Cooks AND Wheaton as a sophomore)...and Mannion looked very mediocre. He consistently under-threw Wheaton and Cooks on deep balls. I watched the Oregon-Oregon State game yesterday and saw the same guy he's been his entire career.

This kid is a career backup at best.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Merlin, I respect the work you put in but I have to disagree with you here. I'd place a bet right now that Mannion will not sniff the second round. Ugly throwing motion, mediocre athleticism, poor under pressure, deep ball is inconsistent and inaccurate, and the 2013 season was the only year where he wasn't average. His accuracy is also not impressive.

He had talent around him as a sophomore as well...more talent than he had as a junior(he had Cooks AND Wheaton as a sophomore)...and Mannion looked very mediocre. He consistently under-threw Wheaton and Cooks on deep balls. I watched the Oregon-Oregon State game yesterday and saw the same guy he's been his entire career.

This kid is a career backup at best.

I think it's important to distinguish here that I am saying he's gonna rise due to what I see year after year in the draft, not that I would take him there.

So yeah man, I think a gentlemanly bet of $500k ROD dollars based on his draft position sounds like a fun deal. :)

Let's say that if he goes from the 1st pick in the third round or later, you win brother!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's important to distinguish here that I am saying he's gonna rise due to what I see year after year in the draft, not that I would take him there.

So yeah man, I think a gentlemanly bet of $500k ROD dollars based on his draft position sounds like a fun deal. :)

Let's say that if he goes from the 1st pick in the third round or later, you win brother!

I'm down. *Shakes on it*

FRO

Legend
Watched a lot of Garrett Grayson. I like him as a second/third round pick for us.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Watched a lot of Garrett Grayson. I like him as a second/third round pick for us.

Charlie Campbell's mock (part of Walter's mock) had Grayson going to us in the 2nd round. I like him too pocket guy, but athletic enough to move inside and outside if he has too. Accurate, strong arm and built solid...Not sure what he offers from the neck up, but I am sure others will fill us in.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015charlie_2.php