Draft prospect: Zack Martin LT, Notre Dame

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
From a Giants writer
Giants NFL Draft: OL Zack Martin works way into Top 15 mix?
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...ol_zach_martin_works_way_into_top_15_mix.html

By Jordan Raanan/NJ.com
Follow on Twitter
on January 23, 2014 at 7:30 AM, updated January 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM

MOBILE, Ala. -- Offensive linemen, offensive linemen, offensive linemen. That's all you seem to want for the Giants in the NFL Draft.

Can't blame you. The Giants only have one lineman that can be penciled in as a starter for next season.

So, not surprisingly, you sent me back for more. Over 71 percent of your votes were for me to watch the two offensive lineman choices closely during Wednesday’s Senior Bowl practice.

But the winner in the voting and with his play on the field was Notre Dame offensive tackle Zack Martin. He had his third straight strong day of work in Mobile.

Calling Martin an offensive tackle may be a misrepresentation when all is said and done. The 6-foot-4, 305-pound lineman rotated between left tackle and left guard on Wednesday. He looked fluid at both positions.

Here's what I saw:

Pros: Excellent technique and good footwork. Always seems to be balanced and with a strong base. Not a mauler but has sufficient power. Light on his feet and able to handle some speed around the edge. Plays low and uses his hands well to fight off pass rushers both on the outside and inside.

Cons: Not a premium athlete for a left tackle. Could struggle with top athletes on the professional level. Sufficient but not excellent strength. Could be susceptible to bull rushes. Short arms.

Short arms? Sound familiar? The Giants already have a tackle whose Pros and Cons probably looked similar to Martin's at this time last year.

The thinking on Justin Pugh, who started all 16 games at right tackle for the Giants this past season, was that he would move inside to guard in the NFL because of his short arms. Pugh has 32-inch arms.

Martin has 32.25-inch arms. It wasn’t much of a problem at Notre Dame and didn’t look like a problem this week at the Senior Bowl when he was playing left tackle. Martin was among the two most impressive offensive linemen in my eyes at the Senior Bowl. (Check back later for my Senior Bowl winners and losers later Thursday.)

Martin dominated Stanford defensive end Trent Murphy the first three days of practice. He got the better of Missouri’s Michael Sam when they were matched opposite each other on Wednesday. It was clear that Martin was one of the more refined and dominant players at the Senior Bowl this week.

“Zach Martin is definitely the best college offensive lineman I’ve gone against,” said Murphy, who led the nation in sacks this season. “He’s a phenomenal player and a phenomenal athlete. He can play both tackle and guard. We matched up Monday and he might have got the best of me that day.”

Martin received rave reviews from the scouts and draft experts I spoke with in Mobile. He likely solidified a spot in the first round with his play.

"He was very good," one scout said. "He was probably the best offensive lineman here."

NFL Network and Notre Dame analyst Mike Mayock was equally impressed. He raved on-air about one of the draft’s top linemen.

"Worst-case scenario, you move him inside and he's an All-Pro guard," Mayock said.

NFLDraftScout.com's Dane Brugler came away with the impression that it didn't matter whether Martin was a guard or tackle. He'd have success either way.

"Regardless, he projects as a 10-year NFL starter," Brugler wrote.

Based on what I saw, All-Pro guard as the worst-case scenario might be a bit of an exaggeration. This is the NFL Draft. There is too much uncertainty to go along with that statement.

A 10-year NFL starter sounds more realistic. I didn't see the mauler in him to predict greatness, although there were enough positives to envision success at the next level.

Regardless, Martin looked like a surefire early-round draft pick with a bright future.

Last edited:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mayock: Zack Martin an All-Pro guard in worst-case scenario

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...uld-star-at-all-five-ol-positions-mayock-says
  • By Mike Huguenin
  • College Football 24/7 writer
Notre Dame's Zack Martin wasn't necessarily a common name when the nation's top offensive linemen were mentioned this season, but he has the look of a first-round pick, and three NFL Media draft analysts aren't surprised.

Speaking Tuesday on the NFL Network's coverage of the Reese's Senior Bowl practices, Mike Mayock said Martin reminds him of former Syracuse star Justin Pugh, whom the New York Giants took with the No. 19 pick in the 2013 draft. But Mayock called Martin a better prospect.

Mayock, who also serves as the analyst on NBC's Notre Dame telecasts, raved about Martin's versatility, saying he was the only guy at the Senior Bowl who could play "at a high level" at all five offensive line positions.

"He never missteps, he's always under control," Mayock said, pointing out that Martin is a solid technician and also has enough quickness to push speed pass rushers past the quarterback.

Some analysts think Martin might be best-suited to play guard because of his size (6-foot-4, 305 pounds). Pugh was a tackle at Syracuse and was moved inside by the Giants. Mayock said he thinks Martin can play left tackle, but "worst-case scenario, you move him inside and he's an All-Pro guard."

Analysts Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah also spoke highly of Martin. Davis cited Notre Dame's game this season against Stanford, saying Martin did an excellent job on Trent Murphy, who led the nation in sacks.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I want this guy in horns.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Early 2nd round, I'd be all for him. I don't see him as a NFL LT. Think he'll be a good OG though. That all said, I don't know if I like him better than Yankey at OG.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Early 2nd round, I'd be all for him. I don't see him as a NFL LT. Think he'll be a good OG though. That all said, I don't know if I like him better than Yankey at OG.

Agreed, I'm not drafting him as a LT. I also like that he has the versatility to play both positions though, if need be. Basically just another guy to consider if we trade down and acquire more picks.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like both and would love to snag them for a great line for a long time for the Rams.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Agreed, I'm not drafting him as a LT. I also like that he has the versatility to play both positions though, if need be. Basically just another guy to consider if we trade down and acquire more picks.
I see him at guard, but he's a much better tackle right now, if that makes any sense. He needs to add bulk to grind on the inside, he was getting stood up and bullied a bit when he moved inside at the Senior Bowl. That being said, he has the versatility that we like, and he can get stronger. I like him as a prospect, but he's a late first, to worst case scenario, mid second round pick.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I see him at guard, but he's a much better tackle right now, if that makes any sense. He needs to add bulk to grind on the inside, he was getting stood up and bullied a bit when he moved inside at the Senior Bowl. That being said, he has the versatility that we like, and he can get stronger. I like him as a prospect, but he's a late first, to worst case scenario, mid second round pick.

I would definitely like to see him add some strength inside, but I do think he plays with a bit of an edge.

Who are the best run blocking linemen in this draft regardless of position in this draft? I need some maulers.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I would definitely like to see him add some strength inside, but I do think he plays with a bit of an edge.

Who are the best run blocking linemen in this draft regardless of position in this draft? I need some maulers.
I haven't scouted everyone yet, but I do like him. I'd take Greg Robinson even at #2. He is a beast, and he can play guard. I'm not sure that Matthews can. Yankey is the best pure guard, IMO. I like Brandon Thomas a lot, and he versatile too. Xavier Su-Filo is more of a technician, but he has played different positions too. I haven't fallen in love with a Warford type, like in the last draft, yet. I was disappointed in Cyril Richardson, and Cyrus Kouandjio. Another player that I like is tackle, Morgan Moses.

I'll have a lot more after the combine.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sounds like a solid pick at 13. I actually hope we trade our #13 pick.

Can you imaging trading #2 and 13? That's a lot of quality players to choose from and more future picks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't scouted everyone yet, but I do like him. I'd take Greg Robinson even at #2. He is a beast, and he can play guard. I'm not sure that Matthews can. Yankey is the best pure guard, IMO. I like Brandon Thomas a lot, and he versatile too. Xavier Su-Filo is more of a technician, but he has played different positions too. I haven't fallen in love with a Warford type, like in the last draft, yet. I was disappointed in Cyril Richardson, and Cyrus Kouandjio. Another player that I like is tackle, Morgan Moses.

I'll have a lot more after the combine.

Good to see you back, Dr. Ram.

I agree on Yankey. While he's not as refined of a pass blocker as Martin, I also see him as the best OG(not counting Robinson and Matthews). He needs to improve his pass blocking, specifically his consistency with landing his initial punch on time, his hand use(needs to be more precise with it...gets a bit sloppy at times) and maintain leverage. However, he's a dominating run blocker and shows the wide base, lateral agility, balance, arm length and instincts needed to be a top tier pass protector with time and coaching.

I also like Brandon Thomas. Think he'll be a very good LG. And I agree with your sentiment on Kouandjio. Hated his film this year. Don't want him on this team.

While I like Moses, my issue with him is that he doesn't have the natural bend to play OG. He can definitely play OT in the NFL, has the feet, length and pass protection skills. Just wish he was a bit more versatile.

OhioRam

Rookie
I been high on this guy for a long time he make a very nice OG for the rams in the 2nd

iced

Sounds like a solid pick at 13. I actually hope we trade our #13 pick.

Can you imaging trading #2 and 13? That's a lot of quality players to choose from and more future picks.

think Martin is a bit high for #13....

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't know if anyone else has been checking out Orlando Pacemaker as a possible top pick in this draft...
image.jpg

laramsoriginal

Starter
Martin would be a good pickup at the top of the first round.

I think some team will draft him in the twenties because he can help day one at Tackle. He might not be a probowler every year but he will be a very solid consistent player.

I would hate to draft Robinson at #2. There is something about him that makes me scared about his transition to the nfl. He lacks experience and that offense Auburn ran did not help him get ready for the nfl...especially for the rams that run a traditional offense.
If the rams are stuck at #2, I would love to see Mathews.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Good to see you back, Dr. Ram.

I agree on Yankey. While he's not as refined of a pass blocker as Martin, I also see him as the best OG(not counting Robinson and Matthews). He needs to improve his pass blocking, specifically his consistency with landing his initial punch on time, his hand use(needs to be more precise with it...gets a bit sloppy at times) and maintain leverage. However, he's a dominating run blocker and shows the wide base, lateral agility, balance, arm length and instincts needed to be a top tier pass protector with time and coaching.

I also like Brandon Thomas. Think he'll be a very good LG. And I agree with your sentiment on Kouandjio. Hated his film this year. Don't want him on this team.

While I like Moses, my issue with him is that he doesn't have the natural bend to play OG. He can definitely play OT in the NFL, has the feet, length and pass protection skills. Just wish he was a bit more versatile.
Thanks jrry32. I agree that Moses is a little stiff, and seems to like to play upright more than he should. I see him as a RT first, that could end up being a LT. He's not as interchangeable as the rest of the guys that I mentioned.

Last edited: