Draft Order

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
We don't need to trade to 2. The likelihood of Mariota and Winston going 1 and 2 at this point are small. There's a ton of prospects that could slot in above either one.
Ok say they both don't go 1-2. You agree one of them is going top 2 don't you? The other won't get past the Jets, and if he does the other won't get past the Bears. Now we could trade up in front of the Jets and get our QB, but the if the second QB gets past the Titans then the Jets will be calling to move up. They need a QB in the worst way. They aren't going to get jumped.

Bottom line it's only a 10% chance we get Winston or Mariota. If we do then we just sold the farm.

FRO

Legend
Possibly. In 2013, Dolphins traded up with the Raiders and only gave up the 12th and 42nd pick for the 3rd overall to pick Dion Jordan. There's no telling the cost. But going up five spots from 10 to 5, it may not cost a future first. Depends on how they value Winston. Don't think he'd succeed in most places, so his value might be lower.
That was a horrible draft at the top end. Eric Fisher wouldn't go first in many drafts. The cost of doing business in 2013 was much lower. This draft has some big time blue chip talents up top. The cost of a trade up will be higher than 2013.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
That was a horrible draft at the top end. Eric Fisher wouldn't go first in many drafts. The cost of doing business in 2013 was much lower. This draft has some big time blue chip talents up top. The cost of a trade up will be higher than 2013.

Maybe you're right. I don't want to do any future 1sts. It never works out. I'd rather just take the best offensive linemen at 10 or even the best player at 10.

FRO

Legend
Maybe you're right. I don't want to do any future 1sts. It never works out. I'd rather just take the best offensive linemen at 10 or even the best player at 10.
I could be very wrong too. Usually am. The price to move up to get a QB is usually high.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I could be very wrong too. Usually am. The price to move up to get a QB is usually high.

That's very true. I'm just hopeful is all. I don't think we'd draft a first round QB anyway, they like Bradford too much.

FRO

Legend
That's very true. I'm just hopeful is all. I don't think we'd draft a first round QB anyway, they like Bradford too much.
I think we would draft one, I just don't see us moving up to get one. I wouldn't mortgage the future for either. Selling the farm never works.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If I'm the Rams I trade down. We won't land one of the QBs, and interior line help can be added later in the draft. Accrue picks and draft line early and often. That is if we don't decided to go in a different direction at RT.

I agree here. Trading up for one of these QBs means that's really all you get out of this draft. We have other key needs and we have Bradford as a resort option. Nobody wants to see a rookie QB in the NFC West behind a terrible OL and not even have a hope of addressing it the year after either. Trading down allows us to solidify all our weaknesses and take a chance on a guy like Hundley.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Ok say they both don't go 1-2. You agree one of them is going top 2 don't you? The other won't get past the Jets, and if he does the other won't get past the Bears. Now we could trade up in front of the Jets and get our QB, but the if the second QB gets past the Titans then the Jets will be calling to move up. They need a QB in the worst way. They aren't going to get jumped.

Bottom line it's only a 10% chance we get Winston or Mariota. If we do then we just sold the farm.

If they drop to the Jets, then you aren't selling the farm to move up. Maybe a future first, which is a small price to pay for a franchise QB.

Remember outside of the top 2 generally, the value of picks drops by quite a bit. So if we sit at 10 and want to trade to 3, we may only have to give up our first and second this year.

The other thing to remember is the Baron deal. That probably has quite the bearing on how far we can move up.

Athos

Legend

Any QB trade up come with as many red flags though as Winston has off the field?

I think the new NFL policies that will go into effect for domestic violence and violence in general now thanks to Rice and Peterson, could drop his ass.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the problem with this draft is that the first two teams desperately need QBs. But hey who knows, maybe we could be surprised and the bucs or Titans wait for a QB like the raiders/Vikings did this past year.

Athos

Legend

Their faith in Sam is going to end up deciding their careers for better or worse.

Hell of a game of Russian Roulette they are going to play....again.

FRO

Legend
Any QB trade up come with as many red flags though as Winston has off the field?

I think the new NFL policies that will go into effect for domestic violence and violence in general now thanks to Rice and Peterson, could drop his ass.
I was only 10, but did Leaf have some red flags? Chargers traded up for him.

FRO

Legend
If they drop to the Jets, then you aren't selling the farm to move up. Maybe a future first, which is a small price to pay for a franchise QB.

Remember outside of the top 2 generally, the value of picks drops by quite a bit. So if we sit at 10 and want to trade to 3, we may only have to give up our first and second this year.

The other thing to remember is the Baron deal. That probably has quite the bearing on how far we can move up.
I'm guessing your trading two firsts and a second to move up to the top 5. That team is also giving up the chance to get Cooper or one of the defensive linemen who are highly touted.

Athos

Legend
I was only 10, but did Leaf have some red flags? Chargers traded up for him.

And look how that turned out. And look how RGIII is turning out (though his issues are game related).

I think big off the field red flags more than ever could start influencing things. With the new CBA, sure the risk is less money wise, but it still means a helluva lot pick wise. Top picks mean lots now, since those guys are naturally going to be closer to grasping the NFL sooner before the sweet rookie deals end.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If Winston really is the guy, then we better trade with TB cause I'm thinking he is going #1.

But I really do think the Rams are going to go into 2015 with Bradford and backups - maybe a developmental day 2 flier.

Having the 10th pick ain't bad for a team with this much talent.

Honestly, I'm most interested to see what - if any - changes get made on the coaching staff. You can't just ignore the fact that teams mauled us in the 2nd half this year - they adjusted and we didn't.

FRO

Legend
And look how that turned out. And look how RGIII is turning out (though his issues are game related).

I think big off the field red flags more than ever could start influencing things. With the new CBA, sure the risk is less money wise, but it still means a helluva lot pick wise. Top picks mean lots now, since those guys are naturally going to be closer to grasping the NFL sooner before the sweet rookie deals end.
Are you willing to move heaven and earth for Mariota who plays a gimmicky college system? He hasn't had to throw into NFL style windows regularly. His throws usually go to his first read or he runs. He has warts to his game too. We see how RGIII and Kaepernick have struggle to adjust to the game in the pocket. Russell Wilson played a pro style system at Wisconsin. I'm not willing to bet the farm on either, but I would draft either if sitting there for the taking.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't see Rams getting Winston or Mariota unless they trade into the top 2.