Draft Nuggets from Jim Thomas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Draft nuggets: Rams had Martin rated No. 2 at OT behind Robinson

Print By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

Turns out there was no such thing as a Greg Robinson vs. Jake Matthews "debate" at Rams Park.

When it came to offensive linemen, the Rams liked Texas A&M's Matthews. Such was the case with Michigan's Taylor Lewan as well. But the Rams had a noticeably higher grade on Auburn's Robinson than either Matthews or Lewan.

So if they were going to take a tackle at No. 2 overall, it was going to be Robinson all the way. In fact, the team's second-ranked prospect at the position behind Robinson was Notre Dame's Zack Martin, a couple of team sources said late Thursday night.

The high regard for Martin explains why the Rams unsuccessfully tried to trade up with Baltimore at No. 17 overall for Martin. Martin, who can play tackle or guard, ended up going to Dallas at No. 16. Lewan went No. 11 overall to Tennessee, and Matthews ended up in Atlanta at No. 6.

The Rams didn't think Martin would get past the New York Giants at No. 12.

Some other takeaways from Day 1 of the draft at Rams Park:

* * * The Robinson-Orlando Pace comparisons are unfounded. Pace could pass-block coming out of Ohio State. It's still to be proven if Robinson can pass-block effectively at this level. But the Rams saw at least one good indication during their private workout with Robinson last week: his footwork.

The best pass blockers are light on their feet. Pace was so good at it, he almost seemed to be gliding at times. During Robinson's workout, Rams coaches couldn't hear his feet hit the ground as he smoothly shuffled through blocking drills.

* * *The Rams felt they left 10 sacks on the field last season on plays where defensive ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long came around the edges but the opposing quarterback either escaped on foot or got the pass off by stepping up in the pocket.

That will be much harder to do this year with defensive tackle Aaron Donald in the middle on passing downs. At least that's the theory _ and a big reason why the Rams selected the Pitt Panther. The Rams didn't think they had a chance at him until Tampa Bay passed on Donald to take Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans at No. 7 overall.

The new Buccaneers' coach is Lovie Smith, and a disruptive interior pass rusher _ such as Warren Sapp _ has been a key component of Smith's defenses over the years.

New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said he got so excited when the Rams picked Donald, he almost pulled a hamstring.

* * * The Rams' two first-rounders know each other, having worked out at the same performance institute _ API _ during pre-draft training.

* * * The Rams wouldn't have traded South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney had he "fallen" to No. 2. The card would've been handed in very quickly to select Clowney.

* * * The Rams liked Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins a lot. But they had higher grades on Clowney and Robinson, and even told Watkins beforehand they weren't going to draft him.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f686bf55-827c-5e4e-a1f0-907430be5c7d.html

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said he got so excited when the Rams picked Donald, he almost pulled a hamstring.
I love this kinda stuff.

xander47

Rookie
Wow that's amazing to have Martin above Matthews and lewan... That must make Donald all the better. I wonder where cj mosley is considered for them

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While I don't see the love for Martin myself, it would have been expensive to trade up to 17 for him. Both he and Robinson would have started this year and next year would have been the starting tackles.

tbux

Rookie
my question would be- " if you knew Martin would be there at 13- would you have drafted Watkins at 2? interesting thought. Surely they had to think Martin wouldn't be there for them and absolutely had to have a OT early- the top 4 so much better than the next tier. I wonder? of course they probably woudnt admit that either way- but I have to think they would have. Cant blame Fisher for not gambling like that though. We got two great players- nothing to be mad at.

V3

Hall of Fame
It kinda scares me that they had a higher grade for Martin. We'll see if they were right.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1609940_10153019637268484_1333940095459807472_n.jpg

10261957_10153019063628484_5151415155775649788_n.jpg

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Still glad that trade never happened. Hope they don't come close to any more such stupid mistakes.

These early picks need to draft starters, no matter how much you feel you need "insurance". Starters. Starters. Starters.

Consider the table well and pounded.