Draft Grades By Media

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After all the years of bad drafting this is like shiting in tall cotton.

Yeah, cause, you know, short cotton is really messy!

Just kidding! :LOL: I'm with you. Even though it's got to play out on the field, it feels good to hear good things about our team these days.

HinkoDMayo

UDFA
Name
Hinks
IMO I thought this was a great draft by the Rams!!! The one player I thought we stole was and will help immediately is Mason because Fisher and company loves running the ball and that should be a great 1-2 combo with him and Stacy along with Cunningham barring a injury. With Robinson solidifying the O-Line and scaffold coming back this should be a solid group helping the Rams get that much closer to the top!!! Not to mention adding Donald to an already EXPLOSIVE D-LINE!!!

RamBill

Legend
Rams earn high marks from Kiper
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8343/rams-earn-high-marks-from-kiper

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In what has become a day-after draft tradition over the past 30 years, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. handed out his grades for this year's edition in the wee hours Sunday morning.

It probably comes as no surprise given the early returns but the St. Louis Rams earned honor roll caliber gradesInsider from Kiper for their 2014 haul. Kiper gave the Rams an A-minus, making them one of three teams to earn that mark and placing them behind the only two teams to get an "A," the San Francisco 49ers and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Kiper listed the Rams' key needs as offensive tackle, safety, wide receiver and cornerback. All of those received attention relatively early in the draft except for wide receiver. The Rams used their first pick, No. 2 overall, on Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson, grabbed Florida State corner Lamarcus Joyner and Missouri corner E.J. Gaines in the second and sixth rounds, respectively, and finally doubled down on safeties in Day 3 with fourth-round choice Maurice Alexander of Utah State and sixth-rounder Christian Bryant of Ohio State.

As for wide receiver, perhaps the "minus" in the grade comes from the team's decision not to address the position. But as we discussed in this space plenty in the time before the draft, the Rams were unlikely to spend a pick, early or otherwise, on a wideout if it wasn't a player like Clemson's Sammy Watkins. As it turns out, Watkins was not really in the mix for the No. 2 pick when all was said and done though the Rams did like what he brought to the table. If the Rams were to add a receiver, it needed to be a potential No. 1-caliber wideout. Once Watkins went off the board, there weren't any other to fit that bill for the team. I thought they might add one later simply because they had so many picks, but it's clear they're going to stick with what they have and allow their young wideouts to develop.

Overall, I agree with Kiper's general thoughts on this draft but for a little different reason. I like that the Rams didn't spend most of the weekend trading down, adding picks and looking for bodies. They had 12 picks to start the draft and used 11 of them. They sat where they were and let things fall to them. In the end, they added a lot of quality to a roster that needs it.

Time will tell if the promise from the weekend will turn into wins on the field. At first glance, anyway, this looks like a class capable of providing help now and in the future.

RamBill

Legend
Draft 2014: NFC Draft Grades
Sunday, May 11, 2014
By Evan Silva

The 2014 NFL draft concluded Saturday evening. Rotoworld blurbed every single selection, picks one (Jadeveon Clowney) through 256 (Lonnie Ballentine). You can use our search engine in the top right-hand corner of this page to access our in-depth rookie writeups.

After a grueling three days of “work,” we'll put the finishing touches on our intensive draft coverage with post-draft grades.

But let's be clear: We don't believe in assessing draft hauls immediately after the three-day event. This is strictly for your pleasure. If you're reading this intro, you're interested. And we want to appeal to you. Don't take these grades too seriously. We'll know a lot more about this draft around 2017.

St. Louis Rams

2. Greg Robinson, guard/tackle, Auburn.
13. Aaron Donald, defensive tackle, Pittsburgh.
41. Lamarcus Joyner, safety, Florida State.
75. Tre Mason, running back, Auburn.
110. Maurice Alexander, safety, Utah State.
188. E.J. Gaines, cornerback, Missouri.
214. Garrett Gilbert, quarterback, SMU.
226. Mitchell Van Dyk, tackle, Portland State.
241. Christian Bryant, defensive back, Ohio State.
249. Michael Sam, defensive end, Missouri.
250. Demetrius Rhaney, center, Tennessee State.

Overview: The Rams smokescreened pre-draft interest in Johnny Manziel, stood pat, and stuck to their board. They emerged with arguably two top-five prospects in Robinson and Donald in round one, and traded up to select Tyrann Mathieu clone Joyner toward the top of round two. Robinson and Joyner addressed St. Louis' biggest on-paper needs. Donald and Mason were sheer value picks. Alexander, Bryant, and Sam project as core special teamers. Van Dyk and Rhaney are likely headed to the Rams' practice squad. Gilbert was a throwaway pick. The Rams likely won't overcome the NFC West behemoths until they get more reliable and effective quarterback play, but this was a stellar draft. St. Louis is going to run the football with volume and play incredibly tough defense in 2014. They should be competitive on a week-in, week-out basis.

Grade: A-

Read All the Grades:
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47166/174/draft-2014-nfc-draft-grades

Alan

Legend
HinkoDMayo joining our team:
IMO I thought this was a great draft by the Rams!!! The one player I thought we stole was and will help immediately is Mason because Fisher and company loves running the ball and that should be a great 1-2 combo with him and Stacy along with Cunningham barring a injury. With Robinson solidifying the O-Line and scaffold coming back this should be a solid group helping the Rams get that much closer to the top!!! Not to mention adding Donald to an already EXPLOSIVE D-LINE!!!
Welcome to the ROD Hinko! (y) :welcome: :party: :sup: :lifting: :seizure: :rockon: :cheers:
Why don't you post something in the Re: Introduce Yourself thread and let us know a little bit about you. You've come to the right place if you're interested in intelligent and insightful talk about the Rams and football in general. We frequently disagree about things but we always keep those disagreements civil. I think you'll like it here.:)

Why don't you stop by the Member Map and pin your location. We have members from all over the world.:popcorn:

Be careful of anything you read in blue font as it usually means the opposite fo what the words say. We use it to joke around. ;)

[URL='http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/miahamm204528.html']I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion.

Mia Hamm[/URL]

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I hate the draft season, which is why I haven't been here for a while. Draftniks with the arrogance to state "He's value at six but a reach at two" and talking heads making things up just to fill a void.

Everybody knows that you can't grade a draft for at least three years. All these knee-jerk evaluations are just comparisons with the analysts' own thoughts.

Maybe I'm in a minority, but I'd trust the evaluation by a professional scouting team over that of some some virgin in his bedroom any day.

PhxRam

I hate the draft season, which is why I haven't been here for a while. Draftniks with the arrogance to state "He's value at six but a reach at two" and talking heads making things up just to fill a void.

Everybody knows that you can't grade a draft for at least three years. All these knee-jerk evaluations are just comparisons with the analysts' own thoughts.

Maybe I'm in a minority, but I'd trust the evaluation by a professional scouting team over that of some some virgin in his bedroom any day.

Those virgins in the bedroom could very well turn out to be the next great NFL scout.

Psycho_X

Legend
Thanks, Alan. I just hate the draft season.

I agree, like you said the arrogance of draftniks just makes me want to punch them in the throat some times lol.

But my god, I've never been so excited for a season to start since 2000 I think. I'm even looking forward to preseason to watch all of our young guys play.

Alan

Legend
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-complete-2014-nfl-draft-wrap-up-and-analysis
There's some other good stuff including videos on the other pages of the slideshow so check the url out if you'd like. :)

St. Louis Rams: Complete 2014 NFL Draft Wrap-Up and Analysis
hi-res-e94e32b480467a9b6d13728254793f4a_crop_north.jpg

GM Andrews/Associated Press
Here is St. Louis' selection in each round, as well as a letter grade for each pick:

Round 1 (Pick No. 2 overall): T Greg Robinson, Auburn

Greg Robinson is the best run-blocker in the entire draft, which is perfect for St. Louis' run-first mentality. He has the elite athleticism teams look for in a top pick, and he'll eventually develop into a reliable pass-protector.

Robinson was the best player available at No. 2 overall, so this is a perfect selection.

Grade: A+

Round 1 (Pick No. 13 overall): DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh

The Rams had one of the most frightening 4-3 defensive fronts in football last season, so this pick did not exactly fill a need, but how can anyone argue against adding a talent such as Aaron Donald?

This monster is a sack machine, can run the 40-yard-dash in under 4.7 seconds (at nearly 290 pounds) and posted a combine-high 35 reps on the bench press, per NFL.com.

Donald is the final piece to the 21st century version of the Fearsome Foursome. Not to mention, he was the best player available at No. 13 overall.

Round 2 (Pick No. 41 overall via Buffalo): DB Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State

At 5'8" and 184 pounds, Lamarcus Joyner is a bit undersized, but if we've learned anything from Bob Sanders and Tyrann Mathieu, it's that big things can come in small packages.

Joyner is not afraid to tackle, despite his size, and he's a natural playmaker. He can jump routes, secure interceptions and even return kickoffs.

The Rams were hurting for cornerback depth entering the draft, so Joyner is the perfect solution to that problem.

Grade: B+

Round 3 (Pick No. 75 overall): RB Tre Mason, Auburn

Zac Stacy emerged as St. Louis' workhorse back as a rookie last season, but there's no such thing as too many backs in St. Louis' run-first offense.

Mason was highly productive at Auburn—with 1,816 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns—and has experience running behind Robinson. His chemistry with Robinson in the run game will be a huge asset.

Grade: A

Round 4 (Pick No. 110 overall): S Maurice Alexander, Utah State

The Rams were in desperate need of a safety entering the draft, so this pick fills a need, but few experts had "Mo" Alexander as a mid-round prospect.

Alexander is a hard-hitter—something defensive coordinator Gregg Williams loves—but the Rams needed a coverage safety more than another hitter.

Grade: C-

Round 6 (Pick No. 188 overall): CB E.J. Gaines, Missouri

Talk about a high-value selection.

E.J. Gaines was one of the best cornerbacks in the SEC last season. He has tremendous versatility as a cornerback and can line up all over the field.

The hometown favorite solidifies St. Louis' depth and helps turn the cornerback position into a team strength.

Round 6 (Pick No. 214 overall): QB Garrett Gilbert, SMU

The Rams picked up free-agent quarterback Shaun Hill as the team's new No. 2 quarterback, but the Rams need a better long-term option.

Garrett Gilbert was a underachiever for most of his college career, but he showed signs of life in his final season with Southern Methodist. He passed for 21 touchdowns, seven picks and over 3,500 yards.

At 6'4" and 221 pounds, he has great size for an NFL passer. With a few years of development under his belt, there's a chance the late-bloomer will eventually become a decent pro passer.

Grade: C+

Round 7 (Pick No. 226 overall): T Mitchell Van Dyk, Portland State

Since Robinson and Rodger Saffold are both penciled in as guards for the Rams, the team needs more depth behind starting tackles Long and Joe Barksdale.

Van Dyk is a nice under-the-radar pickup. He'll have to outplay Sean Hooey and Mike Person for a roster spot, but he certainly has a chance.

Grade: B

Round 7 (Pick No. 241 overall): S Christian Bryant, Ohio State

Safety Christian Bryant was one of the more alluring late-round defensive backs, so he was worth a flyer in the seventh round.

With Bryant and Alexander added to the roster, the Rams will have solid competition in the secondary during training camp.

Round 7 (Pick No. 249 overall): DE Michael Sam, Missouri

Michael Sam finished his 2013 season with an SEC-high 11.5 sacks and 19.0 tackles for loss. As a result, Sam was named as the SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

The SEC, of course, is the toughest division in college, so it's not everyday a team can draft an award-winning player from that division in the final round.

Sam is a tweener in the 4-3 system, but he offers tremendous value as a pick.

Round 7 (Pick No. 250 overall): C Demetrius Rhaney, Tennessee State

The Rams have Scott Wells penciled in as the starting center, but the 33-year-old veteran has missed 13 starts in his last two seasons and is reaching the end of the line.

Demetrius Rhaney gives the Rams some solid depth behind Wells. Rhaney, at the very least, will have to prove he's a better center than Barrett Jones if we wants to make the roster.

Alan

Legend
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-complete-2014-nfl-draft-wrap-up-and-analysis
There's more stuff including videos in the other slides fo this slideshow at the URl.
St. Louis Rams: Complete 2014 NFL Draft Wrap-Up and Analysis
The Picks
hi-res-e94e32b480467a9b6d13728254793f4a_crop_north.jpg

GM Andrews/Associated Press
Here is St. Louis' selection in each round, as well as a letter grade for each pick:

Round 1 (Pick No. 2 overall): T Greg Robinson, Auburn

Greg Robinson is the best run-blocker in the entire draft, which is perfect for St. Louis' run-first mentality. He has the elite athleticism teams look for in a top pick, and he'll eventually develop into a reliable pass-protector.

Robinson was the best player available at No. 2 overall, so this is a perfect selection.

Round 1 (Pick No. 13 overall): DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh

The Rams had one of the most frightening 4-3 defensive fronts in football last season, so this pick did not exactly fill a need, but how can anyone argue against adding a talent such as Aaron Donald?

This monster is a sack machine, can run the 40-yard-dash in under 4.7 seconds (at nearly 290 pounds) and posted a combine-high 35 reps on the bench press, per NFL.com.

Donald is the final piece to the 21st century version of the Fearsome Foursome. Not to mention, he was the best player available at No. 13 overall.

Round 2 (Pick No. 41 overall via Buffalo): DB Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State

At 5'8" and 184 pounds, Lamarcus Joyner is a bit undersized, but if we've learned anything from Bob Sanders and Tyrann Mathieu, it's that big things can come in small packages.

Joyner is not afraid to tackle, despite his size, and he's a natural playmaker. He can jump routes, secure interceptions and even return kickoffs.

The Rams were hurting for cornerback depth entering the draft, so Joyner is the perfect solution to that problem.

Round 3 (Pick No. 75 overall): RB Tre Mason, Auburn

Zac Stacy emerged as St. Louis' workhorse back as a rookie last season, but there's no such thing as too many backs in St. Louis' run-first offense.

Mason was highly productive at Auburn—with 1,816 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns—and has experience running behind Robinson. His chemistry with Robinson in the run game will be a huge asset.

Round 4 (Pick No. 110 overall): S Maurice Alexander, Utah State

The Rams were in desperate need of a safety entering the draft, so this pick fills a need, but few experts had "Mo" Alexander as a mid-round prospect.

Alexander is a hard-hitter—something defensive coordinator Gregg Williams loves—but the Rams needed a coverage safety more than another hitter.

Grade: C-

Round 6 (Pick No. 188 overall): CB E.J. Gaines, Missouri

Talk about a high-value selection.

E.J. Gaines was one of the best cornerbacks in the SEC last season. He has tremendous versatility as a cornerback and can line up all over the field.

The hometown favorite solidifies St. Louis' depth and helps turn the cornerback position into a team strength.

Round 6 (Pick No. 214 overall): QB Garrett Gilbert, SMU

The Rams picked up free-agent quarterback Shaun Hill as the team's new No. 2 quarterback, but the Rams need a better long-term option.

Garrett Gilbert was a underachiever for most of his college career, but he showed signs of life in his final season with Southern Methodist. He passed for 21 touchdowns, seven picks and over 3,500 yards.

At 6'4" and 221 pounds, he has great size for an NFL passer. With a few years of development under his belt, there's a chance the late-bloomer will eventually become a decent pro passer.

Grade: C+

Round 7 (Pick No. 226 overall): T Mitchell Van Dyk, Portland State

Since Robinson and Rodger Saffold are both penciled in as guards for the Rams, the team needs more depth behind starting tackles Long and Joe Barksdale.

Van Dyk is a nice under-the-radar pickup. He'll have to outplay Sean Hooey and Mike Person for a roster spot, but he certainly has a chance.

Grade: B

Round 7 (Pick No. 241 overall): S Christian Bryant, Ohio State

Safety Christian Bryant was one of the more alluring late-round defensive backs, so he was worth a flyer in the seventh round.

With Bryant and Alexander added to the roster, the Rams will have solid competition in the secondary during training camp.

Round 7 (Pick No. 249 overall): DE Michael Sam, Missouri

Michael Sam finished his 2013 season with an SEC-high 11.5 sacks and 19.0 tackles for loss. As a result, Sam was named as the SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

The SEC, of course, is the toughest division in college, so it's not everyday a team can draft an award-winning player from that division in the final round.

Sam is a tweener in the 4-3 system, but he offers tremendous value as a pick.

Round 7 (Pick No. 250 overall): C Demetrius Rhaney, Tennessee State

The Rams have Scott Wells penciled in as the starting center, but the 33-year-old veteran has missed 13 starts in his last two seasons and is reaching the end of the line.

Demetrius Rhaney gives the Rams some solid depth behind Wells. Rhaney, at the very least, will have to prove he's a better center than Barrett Jones if we wants to make the roster.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

wow you sure can take the fun out of speculating. i'm glade i don't have to wait 3 years before i believe in a player

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Okay the QB position and the RGIII well, let's hope Sam Bradford puts that to rest with a great 2014 season and leads the Rams to the post season. I agree with Kiper about the WR and if the Rams drafted a WR instead of Tre Mason for example they would have covered every need listed.
If you draft on need you have a good tasting recipe for failure. We took BPA pretty much throughout the draft which is how you breed success by stacking talent. No point of taking a WR if all they are is adding nobody better to what we already have on the roster

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis not thinking it through:
If we were the Niners it woulda been an A+. Just saying.
LOL! The Whiners have a playoff team already and had they drafted the same players as we did they'd get an A++++++++++++ grade. I'd give them one myself. :ROFLMAO: