Draft Grades By Media

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's Kiper's

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...t-mel-kiper-grades-draft-class-every-nfl-team

Overall: A-
Needs: B+
Value: A

Summary: I've been saying this roster was going to be loaded, and it's really there. Les Snead and Co. just keep piling up talent. The draft only dips for two small reasons, but I'll get to those later. Starting at the top, Greg Robinson brings that rare potential to be a star offensive tackle. Yeah, it's projection. But Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden -- these are the names that get mentioned by really smart football people. Robinson doesn't have to start at tackle, more likely left guard, which will aid his development. Aaron Donald isn't the same type of player asSheldon Richardson, but could be the Richardson of 2013. By that I mean the breakout rookie, taken in the same range, and plugged into a situation that was already considered a strength. Richardson blew up on a solid Jets D-line; Donald can do the same here. The kid is a stud, and the this line is terrifying. Yes, the Rams needed a corner, and not only does the certainty of pressure make the secondary better, they got a versatile talent in Lamarcus Joyner. He's undersized, but he's that hybrid in the secondary, a slot safety type who is on the field all the time. Tre Mason is solid depth at RB, and Maurice Alexander has starting potential. Garrett Gilbert isn't a player I'd consider a challenger at QB, but there's upside, and they needed the depth. E.J. Gaines adds depth at corner. While there isn't much of an immediate need forMichael Sam along the defense line, he gives them depth in the pass rush and is a high-effort player with a chance to contribute despite average athleticism. I agree with Jeff Fisher that he's a good value late in Round 7. The Rams get dinged a little because I think they should have taken at least one WR in a draft loaded with them, and the fact that they still have a question at QB -- after all, this draft haul is tied to the fact that they opted not to draft Robert Griffin III. They have a ton of talent, but the QB question lingers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Still have a question at QB"?

That implies RG3 is not a question mark?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Todd McShay;

The Rams had a really good draft, and any of their top four picks would have been good choices here; Robinson, DT Aaron Donald (13th pick), CB Lamarcus Joyner(41st pick) and RB Tre Mason all ranked in the top 61 of our prospect rankings, and each was a great value choice based on where the Rams picked him. But Robinson is the best of the bunch. He is the most dominant offensive lineman at the point of attack that I've ever evaluated, and he is at his best when he's freed up to just steamroll guys in the running game. I think he can start right away at right tackle, or they could kick him inside to guard to start his career and adjust to the NFL level before transitioning him to tackle.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...dd-mcshay-identifies-favorite-draft-pick-team

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CNN SI

St. Louis Rams

Obviously, the seventh-round pick of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam will get all the press, but realistically, Sam is little more than a backup for Chris Long. At the top of their draft, St. Louis scored two immense hits with the additions of Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson and Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald. Both were seen by many to be the best players at their positions, and any time you can do that twice, it’s a big deal.

The Rams also took running back Tre Mason, who gained 6.5 yards per carry running behind Robinson last year, and Missouri cornerback E.J. Gaines was a nice get in the sixth round. The only possible knock on this draft is that Florida State cornerback LaMarcus Joyner doesn’t really look like a second-round talent, but with the first round St. Louis had, we’re splitting hairs.

Grade: A- minus

DF

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/4/

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
NFL.com Bryan Fischer

St. Louis Rams: Greg Robinson (2nd), Aaron Donald (13th),Lamarcus Joyner (41st), Tre Mason (75th), Mo Alexander (110th),E.J. Gaines (188th), Garrett Gilbert (214th), Mitchell Van Dyk(226th), C.B. Bryant (241st), Michael Sam (249th), Demetrius Rhaney (250th)
The skinny: Perhaps the champs of the first two days of the draft, St. Louis found some nice finds on Day 3. Alexander can get lost in coverage at times but is explosive. Gaines limited Mike Evans and has potential. There will be plenty of discussion about the pick of Sam, but on top of being historic, it gives the team another pass-rush threat for an already dangerous front seven.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...draft-day-3-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Elliot Harrison at NFL.com

St. Louis Rams: If Aaron Donald (No. 13) pans out, which a lot of people think the "undersized" defensive tackle will, then you can officially anoint the Ramswith the best front four in the NFL.Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Michael Brockers and Donald? Come on. And Donald wasn't even the club's first pick.Greg Robinson (No. 2) has the potential to be a dominant player.

Third-rounder Tre Mason (No. 75) out of Auburn showed people what he could do in the 2014 BCS National Championship Game, and, with Zac Stacy on board, he won't be expected to carry the load. The Rams also added two corners and two safeties, addressing the needs in their secondary. Nice draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2...st-and-most-worrisome-picks-in-2014-nfl-draft

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
True, I still read them :oops:, just have very little bearing on what happens on the field.

Last night on NFL Network Mike Mayock refused to do grades for the same reason.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I never listen to Kiper anymore. Quality draft though.

Alan

Legend
I love reading them. They either make you feel even better about the draft or they make you laugh at the idiot who gave a grade you disagreed with. Good stuff CGI and I hope you and others add some more from other sites. I know I will be trying to find some.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay the QB position and the RGIII well, let's hope Sam Bradford puts that to rest with a great 2014 season and leads the Rams to the post season. I agree with Kiper about the WR and if the Rams drafted a WR instead of Tre Mason for example they would have covered every need listed.

Overall the Rams need a great year from Bradford and a comeback year from Kenny Britt. Also not too add any more ammunition for RFIP, but if the Rams had drafted Watkins Stevie Johnson would not be a 49ers and because Bradford still commands a high salary the cap strapped Rams could not acquire Johnson because of they could not fit Johnson under the cap.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CBSsports.com

St. Louis Rams

With two of the first 13 picks, the Rams were in an ideal position to boost their roster. GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher took full advantage, adding mauling run blocker Greg Robinson to significantly upgrade their physicality on the offensive line and making a very good defensive line the league's best with the addition of defensive tackle Aaron Donald to complement star Robert Quinn, rising talent Michael Brockers and steady veteran Chris Long. Snead filled arguably the team's biggest need with their next selection, nabbing a Honey Badger-like weapon in versatile defensive back Lamarcus Joyner in the second round. The addition of Tre Mason - a back some graded as the best in the class - in the third round gives the team better big play possibilities than incumbent starter Zac Stacy, a quality back in his own right. The Rams added several intriguing prospects to their secondary on Day Three of the draft, as well as Michael Sam, the co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year and the first openly gay player to get drafted into the NFL. Sam (the 249th player selected overall) is no guarantee to make the roster but given the talent on this defensive line, he'll get one-on-one opportunities off the edge and possesses the burst, strength and motor to endear him to coaches and fans, alike. Grade: A

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...fl-draft-contentious-nfc-west-even-moreso-now

RamBill

Legend
Grades: Lots of A's and no F's? Much to like in 2014 NFL Draft
By Pete Prisco

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...f-as-and-no-fs-much-to-like-in-2014-nfl-draft

Am I going soft when I give out one "A-plus" grade, three "A" grades and no grades of F?

Then call me soft as I grade the 2014 NFL Draft.

I handed out the A-plus to the St. Louis Rams, who owned the draft from their first pick, second overall, to their second-to-last pick when they took defensive end Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to be drafted.

Rams general manager Les Snead, loaded with two first-round picks, landed tackle Greg Robinson and defensive tackle Aaron Donald with those picks. They are two of the top-10 players in the draft.

He followed that up by picking a bunch of quality players up and down the board. The Rams' roster is now impressive and they might be ready to compete in the tough NFC West.

St. Louis Rams: General manager Les Snead killed the draft. He was loaded with extra picks the past two years, but hit on a bunch. I mentioned his first two as picks I liked, but I also liked second-round corner Lamarcus Joyner. Grade: A-plus

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"Still have a question at QB"?

That implies RG3 is not a question mark?
Yeah, I don't get that. I think the only knock is that we didn't take a WR. But questions at QB seems ridiculous comment to make.

bluesjoc

Long time poster,First time reader
Name
Jeff
Yeah, I don't get that. I think the only knock is that we didn't take a WR. But questions at QB seems ridiculous comment to make.
Its coming from the guy that predicted Bradford to be a bust and Jimmy Clausen to be the #1 pick that year. He was so sure that he predicted Clausen would win a SB and be a pro bowler with in 5 years

RamBill

Legend

ESPN’s Trey Wingo, Bill Polian, Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. break down their big winners and losers at the NFL draft. McShay has the Rams as big winners, getting 2 of the Top 6 players in the Draft. (3:02)

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
For me the knock is the secondary - if Joyner and Alexander can progress and overcome their limitation and play better than their projections then we'll be golden.