Draft grade for... 2014 draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So they say it takes about three years to truly grade a draft so how about we go back and look at 2014 peeps.

• Greg Robinson OT, Auburn 1st Round, 2nd Overall
  • Aaron Donald DT, Pittsburgh 1st Round, 13th Overall
  • Lamarcus Joyner CB, Florida State 2nd Round, 41st Overall
  • Tre Mason RB, Auburn 3rd Round, 75th Overall
  • Mo Alexander SS, Utah State 4th Round, 110th Overall
  • E.J. Gaines CB, Missouri 6th Round, 188th Overall
  • Garrett Gilbert QB, SMU 6th Round, 214th Overall
  • Mitchell Van Dyk OT, Portland State 7th Round, 226th Overall
  • C.B. Bryant FS, Ohio State 7th Round, 241st Overall
  • Michael Sam DE, Missouri 7th Round, 249th Overall
  • Demetrius Rhaney C, Tennessee State 7th Round, 250th Overall
We had added draft capital from the Washington trade... and well... we know how that's turned out.

All in all, I have to say I'd give this draft a B. We got an Canton bound DT if he stays healthy for the next few years. Two starters in Joyner and Alexander and some spot starting depth in Gaines (perhaps more) and Rhaney. If only they had hit on Robinson (or he had at least proven to be an above average tackle), this would have been an A draft. Even with the waste of Tre Mason.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
How I would grade it:
Greg Robinson (D-): For being the second overall pick, he has been a huge disappointment.
Aaron Donald (A+): Arguably the best defensive player in football.
Lamarcus Joyner (B): He is coming around as a nickel corner and has improved each season.
Tre Mason (F-): His mental health has compromised his NFL career.
Mo Alexander (A-): Good value pick that will be better as he transitions to SS.
EJ Gaines (B-): Was incredible as a rookie but has been shaky at best after his injury.
Garrett Gilbert (D): Did nothing for us but has stayed in the league.
Mitchell Van Dyk (F): Released before he could even get through his rookie year.
CB Bryant (C+): He was decent value in the 7th but just didn't turn it on.
Michael Sam (D-): Was more of a distraction than a benefit to the team.
Demetrius Rhaney (B+): For a late 7th, he has managed to lock up the backup C roll.

Overall, I agree with @WestCoastRam that the draft was probably a B overall. You can't discount it much more than that with a once in a lifetime player like Donald.

WvuIN02

Starter
You guys are being too hard. Any draft you get a HoF player is an A.

Is it the 74 Steelers draft? No, but its damn good with some helpful additions on top of maybe the most disruptive player in the league (arguably).

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
How I would grade it:
Greg Robinson (D-): For being the second overall pick, he has been a huge disappointment.
Aaron Donald (A+): Arguably the best defensive player in football.
Lamarcus Joyner (B): He is coming around as a nickel corner and has improved each season.
Tre Mason (F-): His mental health has compromised his NFL career.
Mo Alexander (A-): Good value pick that will be better as he transitions to SS.
EJ Gaines (B-): Was incredible as a rookie but has been shaky at best after his injury.
Garrett Gilbert (D): Did nothing for us but has stayed in the league.
Mitchell Van Dyk (F): Released before he could even get through his rookie year.
CB Bryant (C+): He was decent value in the 7th but just didn't turn it on.
Michael Sam (D-): Was more of a distraction than a benefit to the team.
Demetrius Rhaney (B+): For a late 7th, he has managed to lock up the backup C roll.

Overall, I agree with @WestCoastRam that the draft was probably a B overall. You can't discount it much more than that with a once in a lifetime player like Donald.
I agree with most of these, except Mason (F-). You have to save that grade for the absolute busts and Mason lead the team in rushing in 2014 and was the backup RB in 2015. He's more equatable to the D that Robinson earned and in the big picture the path of his NFL career isn't that different from what EJ Gaines has done so far.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I agree with most of these, except Mason (F-). You have to save that grade for the absolute busts and Mason lead the team in rushing in 2014 and was the backup RB in 2015. He's more equatable to the D that Robinson earned and in the big picture the path of his NFL career isn't that different from what EJ Gaines has done so far.

True. I was basing it also on how high they were picked as well so that factored into some of them but Mason's rookie season was promising.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
True. I was basing it also on how high they were picked as well so that factored into some of them but Mason's rookie season was promising.

Tre should get an F+

F for his felony and the + for his upcoming NFL comeback, which you know is just months away from being announced