Draft Day Trades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not long before the draft and got to thinking about Snead and his tendencies to trade on draft day. Back in '99 the Rams made one of greatest trades ever on draft day that year, trading a 2nd and a 5th to Indy for future HOF'er Marshall Faulk.:yess:
I'm sure other teams have made good draft day trades.

Chime in plz

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not long before the draft and got to thinking about Snead and his tendencies to trade on draft day. Back in '99 the Rams made one of greatest trades ever on draft day that year, trading a 2nd and a 5th to Indy for future HOF'er Marshall Faulk.:yess:
I'm sure other teams have made good draft day trades
Chime in plz

The trade happened the day before. I know I was in Florida wanting The Rams to draft Edgerine James .
The Rams drafted Tory Holt in top 6 & Rolland Williams in 3rd rd

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This year they traded their 1st for future HOF WR Cook ;)

Let's hope at least

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think it was the day before but I was shocked when the rams traded up from #6 to the #1 spot in order to get Orlando Pace.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I wonder if Austin will be part of a draft day trade this year, maybe for another 3rd or 4th round pick?

dang

Legend
Rams should consider If they could draft a 6 th round RB that could play the change of pace role. I know we would save any incentive $$$. Would we save any guaranteed cap space $$$ if we traded.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would not be surprised if the Rams are involved in a couple of Trades in the first two rounds!!(y);)

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I would not be surprised if the Rams are involved in a couple of Trades in the first two rounds!!(y);)

What draft capital do we have left to use? They do not possess a 2nd rounder next year already. They could put Barron or Austin up as possible additional ammo combined with one of our fourths for a package to get a second or a another 3rd maybe.

Sure maybe the Rams move up slightly in the 3 rd but they are out of ammo to move up significantly to the second. Not sure why they would do that anyway. Who in the MID second round is worth giving up what we would need to give up? LT maybe O'Neill no other LTs - not sure there are any in this draft worth pursuing. Maybe Goedart at TE but is that a desperate need I think so others don't. But as it comes to TEs we need a blocking TE to replace Carrier that player can be gotten later in the draft. We could get a good RB again (strong class) not a priority and I really like Davis. There are no ILB or Rush LBs worth it in the second round IMO that you couldn't find at #87 in the 3rd or even at our first pick in the 4th.

I like Ragnow, but is he not a desperate need. We really need a backup LT that replaces Whit after this year. We need immediate upgrades at Rush LB and backup ILB. We need better backup OLine help. We could possibly need a FS or NT but somehow I think alot of winning will make Suh and Joyner want to stay.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I see posters here mocking guys like Jeff Holland and Obi Oboronkwo to the Rams in rounds 3 and 4. It isn't going to happen unless they can trade up for one of them. Right now it is looking like Holland could go late in Round 1, or by the end of round 2. Okoronkwo is likely to go round 2. The PFF grades and other grading sites have these two guys rated very high according to their metrics. Most NFL teams are relying on those metrics to help complete the picture on these prospects.

Just because Holland only started one year, doesn't mean that scouts didn't notice him. And Obi's production at a power 5 school was very good. Too good to be ignore.

Ram65

Legend
Here is one. From what I can tell it was on the day of the draft.
https://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2011/05/1977-cowboys-trade-up-to-pick-tony.html

Really hated the Cowgirls back then and the Hags were in the AFC.
MAY 3, 2011

Leading up to the first round of the NFL draft on May 3, 1977, the two ’76 expansion teams, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks, held the first two overall picks. The Bucs, who suffered through an 0-14 inaugural season, made clear well ahead of time that they would take RB Ricky Bell of USC – the team that Head Coach John McKay had guided prior to crossing over to the NFL.

The logical choice for the next pick, which was property of the 2-12 Seahawks, was Heisman Trophy-winning RB Tony Dorsett from the University of Pittsburgh. However, the front office found itself awash in trade offers from teams that wanted the record-setting running back, and the fact that Dorsett made clear his aversion to playing for Seattle made those offers all the more enticing.

In the end, it was the Dallas Cowboys swinging the deal that allowed them to choose Dorsett second overall. The Seahawks were looking to stockpile draft choices, and Dallas had extra picks to trade. Seattle came away with a first round choice that had come to the Cowboys by way of San Diego in the deal for QB Clint Longley (14th overall) as well as three second-round draft choices.

With the picks from Dallas, the Seahawks took G Steve August from Tulsa in the first round and offensive lineman Tom Lynch of Boston College with the second pick in the second round. They also came away with LB Terry Beeson from Kansas with their next second-round choice, eleven slots down the line. Yet another of the second round choices was traded back to the Cowboys for WR Duke Fergerson, who had been on injured reserve in 1976. Seattle also obtained LB Pete Cronan from Boston College in a trade with the Rams that sent one of the second round picks to LA for C Geoff Reece and that club’s second round pick.

The Cowboys, who were widely credited with having pulled off the steal of the draft, were hardly bereft of talent, having won the NFC East in 1976 with an 11-3 record and gone to the postseason in ten of the previous 11 seasons. However, the running game had been beset by injuries in ’76; RB Doug Dennison was the club’s leading rusher with 542 yards.

“We were willing to sacrifice numbers (the draft choices) for one good football player,” explained Dallas President/GM Tex Schramm. “We did not disturb our current team, which also was one of our major objectives.”

The Cowboys may have sacrificed draft picks, but they still had enough to take WR Tony Hill from Stanford in the third round who, following a quiet rookie season, became a mainstay of the offense for the next nine years. They also took QB Glenn Carano of Nevada-Las Vegas, a backup for the next several seasons until moving on to the USFL. Tenth-round selection Steve DeBerg, a quarterback from San Jose State, failed to make the team but went on to a 17-year NFL career with six clubs.

Dallas got off to an 8-0 start and Dorsett was eased into the lineup, although he scored two touchdowns in the season’s second game and had a 14-carry, 141-yard performance against the Cardinals in Week 4. HB Preston Pearson, in tandem with FB Robert Newhouse, continued to start until midseason. Despite the relatively light use, the prize rookie made the most of his opportunities and still gained a thousand yards on the ground (1007 on 208 attempts), including 206 yards on 23 carries in a game against Philadelphia. The Cowboys again won the NFC East, with a 12-2 record, and went on to win the Super Bowl over the Denver Broncos – Dorsett scored the game’s first touchdown and ran for 66 yards.

It was the start of a career in which the 5’11”, 192-pound Dorsett crossed the thousand-yard threshold in eight of his first nine seasons (the players’ strike that limited the schedule to nine games in 1982 was the only exception), was a consensus first-team All-Pro in ’81 and was selected to four Pro Bowls. Ending up his 12-season career with a year in Denver, he rushed for a total of 12,739 yards and 77 touchdowns while also catching 398 passes for another 3554 yards and 13 more TDs. The Cowboys went to one more Super Bowl and four NFC Championship games during that period. Dorsett was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1994.

As for the players that Seattle obtained as a result of dealing the second overall draft pick, Steve August was injured in a motorcycle accident before the 1977 season that limited his playing time, but went on to appear in 102 games for the Seahawks, 91 of them as the starting right tackle, until 1984. Tom Lynch made it into the starting lineup as a rookie and stayed for four seasons before departing for Buffalo, where he played another four years. He was a second-team All-AFC selection by UPI in ’78.

Terry Beeson became the starting middle linebacker, was an All-Rookie selection in ’77, and stayed with the Seahawks for five years. Pete Cronan was mostly used on special teams in his 3 ½ years in Seattle before moving on to Washington during the 1981 season. He played for the Redskins through ’85. Duke Fergerson caught 19 passes for 374 yards (19.7 avg.) and two touchdowns in 1977, but only 16 more over the course of the remaining three years of his NFL career. Geoff Reece, the young veteran obtained from the Rams, accomplished the least, appearing in just three games with Seattle in ’77.

The Seahawks improved to 5-9 in ’77 and posted their first winning record (9-7) in 1978. However, Tampa Bay beat them to the postseason, going all the way to the NFC Championship game in 1979 thanks to an outstanding defense and Ricky Bell’s 1263 rushing yards.

POSTED BY KEITH YOWELL AT 7:06 AM

LABELS: 1977 NFL SEASON, DALLAS COWBOYS, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS, TONY DORSETT

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What draft capital do we have left to use? They do not possess a 2nd rounder next year already. They could put Barron or Austin up as possible additional ammo combined with one of our fourths for a package to get a second or a another 3rd maybe.

Sure maybe the Rams move up slightly in the 3 rd but they are out of ammo to move up significantly to the second. Not sure why they would do that anyway. Who in the MID second round is worth giving up what we would need to give up? LT maybe O'Neill no other LTs - not sure there are any in this draft worth pursuing. Maybe Goedart at TE but is that a desperate need I think so others don't. But as it comes to TEs we need a blocking TE to replace Carrier that player can be gotten later in the draft. We could get a good RB again (strong class) not a priority and I really like Davis. There are no ILB or Rush LBs worth it in the second round IMO that you couldn't find at #87 in the 3rd or even at our first pick in the 4th.

I like Ragnow, but is he not a desperate need. We really need a backup LT that replaces Whit after this year. We need immediate upgrades at Rush LB and backup ILB. We need better backup OLine help. We could possibly need a FS or NT but somehow I think alot of winning will make Suh and Joyner want to stay.
It's just Snead's thing! He seems to pull off one "Magical Trade" every year!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Tavon’s not going anywhere. He’s effectively at zero now with his dead money equaling his salary. Short of injury, he’s making the team.

Turducken

Starter
It would take about 250 points in trade value to move our 3rd round pick into the middle of the second round (using the standard nfl draft trade value chart). If you were a gm for another team who would you want from the Rams (with the 87th pick) to make a swap? I think it would have to be a starting grade player who is still on a rookie contract. AD, Goff and Gurley aside (for obvious reasons) leaves a handful of players. Dont want to lose an OL (JB or RH) because we would just have to use the pick to replace him. That leaves kupp, pharoah, jj3, higbee, everret, troy hill, or westbrooks. The only one that wouldn't leave a glaring hole is pharoah or troy hill. Pharoah is probably worth 200-250. Troy Hill is probably 150-200. I guess kupp somewhat replaceable with our WR depth. He's probably worth 300 points. Any of those possibilities look appetizing?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It would take about 250 points in trade value to move our 3rd round pick into the middle of the second round (using the standard nfl draft trade value chart). If you were a gm for another team who would you want from the Rams (with the 87th pick) to make a swap? I think it would have to be a starting grade player who is still on a rookie contract. AD, Goff and Gurley aside (for obvious reasons) leaves a handful of players. Dont want to lose an OL (JB or RH) because we would just have to use the pick to replace him. That leaves kupp, pharoah, jj3, higbee, everret, troy hill, or westbrooks. The only one that wouldn't leave a glaring hole is pharoah or troy hill. Pharoah is probably worth 200-250. Troy Hill is probably 150-200. I guess kupp somewhat replaceable with our WR depth. He's probably worth 300 points. Any of those possibilities look appetizing?

Nope

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Would they trade a 3rd next year for a early 4th this year if they really like a guy that drops? Just saying that is possible since they have three 3rds next year. Maybe they like two guys at 87, an OT that slides and an edge rusher or maybe an edge and a ILB?

I wouldn't, but when you see they are going all in this year, they might do something like that to get that edge rusher or ILB that they really want that they feel can contribute this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was actually a week, but it doesn't matter, it was a great trade.
Really? Man I’m getting old. I could have sworn it was right before the draft. Rams trade up to #1 twice and it paid off both times. Awesome