Draft - Cornerback/Defensive Back Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What about Brandon McGee? Is he still on the roster? I thought he had a bit of talent. I had considered FS the more "need" position - or SS if TJ McDonald is to be used as our ball hawk.

McGee is still on the roster, but aside from his speed, he really didn't bring much to the table last year. Watching throughout training camp, he showed enough athleticism to earn a roster spot, but not much else. He showed enough cover skills in the 1 - on - 1 drills, but seemed to struggle in the 7 on 7 or team drills. Could be just a case of a rookie needing the year to adjust to the NFL game.

As far as CB vs. S, its not even close as to which is the more pressing need. This team has only 4 warm bodies at the CB position. So this may be the most pressing need on the entire team, offensive line included.

While most don't think the quality isn't there at the Safety position, I do believe this staff likes a couple of the young guys already on the roster. I am on record on this forum about the one guy who gets overlooked, but will most likely be given an opportunity to compete for the starters job. That is Cody Davis. He is bigger, faster, and a much better tackler than McLeod, and with the year under his belt, should be much improved once OTAs and training camp roll around.

In addition to Davis, they like McLeod, and Matt Daniels is still in the picture. I think this position is a classic case of "out of sight, out of mind" in most fans view. Since these guys didn't get a lot of playing time last year, they have been written off before one preseason snap has taken place.

iced

I think we'll be looking for a 3rd CB either ways.
I don't see it - not with the first 2 picks atleast if they're serious about letting trumaine johnson breathe... unless they're trying to push janoris

Doesn't make sense to not bring in a guy but then draft one high because you're trying to get your starting corner to stop lookin over his shoulder

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't see it - not with the first 2 picks atleast if they're serious about letting trumaine johnson breathe... unless they're trying to push janoris

Doesn't make sense to not bring in a guy but then draft one high because you're trying to get your starting corner to stop lookin over his shoulder

If that is truly what you believe, then please share with us who you think will step up and man the nickel CB role. Considering that position will actually be on the field more than the 3rd LB in most games.

With the lackluster performance of Finnegan in the early games last year, and then being forced to use McLeod in that role from the midpoint of the year on, that spot was the biggest weakness on the defense all year. And I don't see anyone on the current roster that fills that role.

Finding a solution to that spot, has very little to do with either Jenkins or Johnson "looking over his shoulder", as much as it solidifies the secondary as a whole.

Not saying that McLeod is the permanent answer at Safety, but forcing him to slide into that Nickel CB spot, surely didn't help his development as a Safety.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

You need at least 3 quality starting corners in this league, and you also need depth. As @CoachO pointed out, right now we only have 4 on the entire roster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We have no CB depth and our 3rd CB plays around 70% of the snaps. They're going to grab another CB.

iced

We have no CB depth and our 3rd CB plays around 70% of the snaps. They're going to grab another CB.

never said they wouldn't grab one - just doubt it'll be with the first 2 picks. I'm not opposed to them doing it; i just sincerely doubt they will. (unless they're blowin' smoke about lettin tru breathe)

If that is truly what you believe, then please share with us who you think will step up and man the nickel CB role. Considering that position will actually be on the field more than the 3rd LB in most games.

With the lackluster performance of Finnegan in the early games last year, and then being forced to use McLeod in that role from the midpoint of the year on, that spot was the biggest weakness on the defense all year. And I don't see anyone on the current roster that fills that role.

Finding a solution to that spot, has very little to do with either Jenkins or Johnson "looking over his shoulder", as much as it solidifies the secondary as a whole.

Not saying that McLeod is the permanent answer at Safety, but forcing him to slide into that Nickel CB spot, surely didn't help his development as a Safety.

don't they view Mcgee as that nickel corner role?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
never said they wouldn't grab one - just doubt it'll be with the first 2 picks. I'm not opposed to them doing it; i just sincerely doubt they will. (unless they're blowin' smoke about lettin tru breathe)

Not based on what they did last year, when they were forced to use McLeod in that role. McGee has not shown to be anywhere near ready. But again, that is based on last year. Let's see how he improves in year two.

McGee was a project when they drafted him in the FIFTH round. Not what I would consider a key contributor if you were to compare him to what promises to be a high pick this year.

iced

McGee was a project when they drafted him in the FIFTH round. Not what I would consider a key contributor if you were to compare him to what promises to be a high pick this year.

And where was Stacy drafted....? just sayin'...

I just thought I remember readin' somethin a long while ago about him filling for nickel corner duties.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I may be alone in this, but I'm hoping they're looking to draft a corner to come in and start opposite Johnson with Jenkins moving to the nickel.
Other than excelling at talking trash and in no way backing it up I didn't see much from Janoris last year, but I think he may be more suited to that role.

I'd rather see them go FS at 13 (or whatever the pick ends up being) but would be OK with drafting a top CB instead. It's not like we don't need both.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
And where was Stacy drafted....? just sayin'...

I just thought I remember readin' somethin a long while ago about him filling for nickel corner duties.

So you are comparing a 5th round RB, to a starting caliber CB? Look around the league and tell me how many late round RBs there are, compared to quality starting CBs.

iced

So you are comparing a 5th round RB, to a starting caliber CB?

no i'm comparing a 5th round cb to a 5th round rb.. mcgee was selected 11 picks befoe than stacy..

just sayin' - "Well it's not realistic to expect much since he's a 5th round pick" when he went 11 picks before our starting running back...

Look around the league and tell me how many late round RBs there are, compared to quality starting CBs.
which you can do for almost every position..

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

This "letting Tru breathe" is just a expression of speech from Mike Reiss that Rotoworlds dumbass is making into a story. The Rams are comfortable with Trumaine and Jenks as the starters. They've already came out and said that many times. Reiss is just speculating bullshit. Cortlands release hand nothing to do with it "letting Tru breathe."

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure why Tru needs room to breathe? Competition bugging him?
Drafting a CB high wouldn't be competition it would be to fill the 3rd slot. Rams can start the season with the safeties they have but not with the CB's they have. CB's will be in high demand this draft. Many teams were priced out on the better ones in FA this year. By mid to late 2nd rd. game one starting CB's will be gone.Especially press CB's. Depending on the opponent the slot CB will start over half the games. So he's a starter, not a back up. The 3rd CB would be the primary outside backup.
We all saw what 1 bad CB could do last year ( Finnigan). Kinda wrecked some games didn't he.

The Rams can wait and get a Fs type in the 3rd or 4th. They can just plug him in and let him play, just like they did with TJ last season.
CB is a premium position, safety is not.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I meant early round solely because I think better talent will drop to them at 13, than any of the dbs.
I agree they've got to draft a cb sooner or later in the draft. I just prefer it to be later since tru was a third round pick and look at how that turned out.
I think you may very well be right about that.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
McGee is still on the roster, but aside from his speed, he really didn't bring much to the table last year. Watching throughout training camp, he showed enough athleticism to earn a roster spot, but not much else. He showed enough cover skills in the 1 - on - 1 drills, but seemed to struggle in the 7 on 7 or team drills. Could be just a case of a rookie needing the year to adjust to the NFL game.

As far as CB vs. S, its not even close as to which is the more pressing need. This team has only 4 warm bodies at the CB position. So this may be the most pressing need on the entire team, offensive line included.

While most don't think the quality isn't there at the Safety position, I do believe this staff likes a couple of the young guys already on the roster. I am on record on this forum about the one guy who gets overlooked, but will most likely be given an opportunity to compete for the starters job. That is Cody Davis. He is bigger, faster, and a much better tackler than McLeod, and with the year under his belt, should be much improved once OTAs and training camp roll around.

In addition to Davis, they like McLeod, and Matt Daniels is still in the picture. I think this position is a classic case of "out of sight, out of mind" in most fans view. Since these guys didn't get a lot of playing time last year, they have been written off before one preseason snap has taken place.
I'm with you on Cody Davis. I think he'll likely play a good deep zone a and be a strong tackler. I'm really not sure about McLeod, though I'm sure they'll use him more against run first teams no?

I still expect them to draft another coverage safety like Davis though and I'm guessing you're right about corner being the greater position of need but I still think they'll play it by ear on who's available.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think it'll happen somewhere in our first 4 picks.

Alan

Legend
MerlinJones going Darwin:
I may be alone in this, but I'm hoping they're looking to draft a corner to come in and start opposite Johnson with Jenkins moving to the nickel.
Other than excelling at talking trash and in no way backing it up I didn't see much from Janoris last year, but I think he may be more suited to that role.

I'd rather see them go FS at 13 (or whatever the pick ends up being) but would be OK with drafting a top CB instead. It's not like we don't need both.
I would agree with that but I'm more of let the strong points of the three of them determine where they play. Maybe Jenkins isn't our best option at nickel. As much as I've ragged on Jenkins the last two years, I still think he has the most talent. At least of who we have now.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I like Dix as a player more than any other DB in the Draft. That being said I would rather have a CB than a safety in the first if we go DB.
out of the CB's it's tough with Gilbert's footwork and man to man skills edging Dennards aggressiveness and bump and run ability. We have 1 aggressive CB and the thought of 2 scares me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Dix as a player more than any other DB in the Draft. That being said I would rather have a CB than a safety in the first if we go DB.
out of the CB's it's tough with Gilbert's footwork and man to man skills edging Dennards aggressiveness and bump and run ability. We have 1 aggressive CB and the thought of 2 scares me.

I'd say it's the opposite. Dennard, while more physical, is the more conservative cover CB. Gilbert is more willing to take risks to jump routes and that occasionally gets him in trouble.

Here's a good example, Gilbert gets caught with his eyes in the back-field and the TE runs right by him for a big gain:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Opposite as in you like Dennard more? I really like both and would be happy with either. The general consensus seems to be Dennard is more aggressive than Gilbert which is what makes him a great bump and run guy. His aggressiveness is more physical than risk taking. Gilbert did take more risk this year hence the bump in INT's