Draft - Cornerback/Defensive Back Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

xander47

Rookie
With everyone wanting a DB with the second first round pick, I was wondering where the top DBs this year (Dennard/Gilbert/Pryor/Dix) stand with the respect to past draft classes, such as Claiborne/Peterson/Millner and Vaccaro/Berry/Thomas. I'm having trouble believing the Rams will actually go this route as they have two starters already at CB (nickel CBs can be gotten later in the draft), and they don't think too highly of the S position. I'm just wondering where these players stand and what their ceilings are with respect to other players, as I hope to believe the Rams really are going to look for two HOF players in the first round regardless of position and fill out other roster needs in rounds 2-7. If the top DBs aren't future HOF players, why draft them?

iced

I actually have a hard time believing we'll go corner after the recent report about "wanting to let trumaine breathe"...

safety on the other hand..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually have a hard time believing we'll go corner after the recent report about "wanting to let trumaine breathe"...

safety on the other hand..

I think we'll be looking for a 3rd CB either ways.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Are we specifically discussing CB in the early rounds?
I don't think there's any doubt we draft a corner somewhere. I seriously doubt that the plan is to have Pointer and McGee man down the nickelback slot. Reid will be on special teams initially.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
As a fan, I'm for whatever the coaches want to do. They know a lot more than me. I just look at what happened last year and think they need the best db they can get with that pick. Hope he's a great one!

Alan

Legend
rhinobean with backwards thinking:
As a fan, I'm for whatever the coaches want to do. They know a lot more than me. I just look at what happened last year and think they need the best db they can get with that pick. Hope he's a great one!
As a fan, I'm for the coaches doing whatever I want them to do. They don't know as much as me. I just look at what happened last year and think they need the best CB they can get with that pick. If they listen to me he'll be a great one. But I'll still be a fan whatever they decide to do. :whistle:

Hopefully, they grabbed the OT and FS I told them to get in the first round. :LOL:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
As a fan, I'm for the coaches doing whatever I want them to do. They don't know as much as me. I just look at what happened last year and think they need the best CB they can get with that pick. If they listen to me he'll be a great one. But I'll still be a fan whatever they decide to do. :whistle:

Hopefully, they grabbed the OT and FS I told them to get in the first round. :LOL:
You sound like me in another post! "As long as they pick who I want"!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Cornerback for me. I like Trumaine and JJ will undoubtedly improve under Williams but we need a third CB similar in standard in my view.

The FS (or whatever this coaching staff will call it) is going to be playing deep, Williams said as much the other day. It seems to me that whoever plays back there is going to have one job and one job only - keep the play in front of you and break up the deep pass. Does that more "simple" role make the job easier and, therefore, reduce the need for a top talent to fill that role? It could be argued that way which is why I don't think we need to use a first round pick on that guy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Cornerback for me. I like Trumaine and JJ will undoubtedly improve under Williams but we need a third CB similar in standard in my view.

The FS (or whatever this coaching staff will call it) is going to be playing deep, Williams said as much the other day. It seems to me that whoever plays back there is going to have one job and one job only - keep the play in front of you and break up the deep pass. Does that more "simple" role make the job easier and, therefore, reduce the need for a top talent to fill that role? It could be argued that way which is why I don't think we need to use a first round pick on that guy.
You just described a "pro bowl" caliber FS. Yes, we need to get a premium one early in the draft.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
You just described a "pro bowl" caliber FS. Yes, we need to get a premium one early in the draft.

We really don't. We can use a second round pick and still get a "pro bowl" calibre safety. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that FS is a need, I just think CB is a greater need at what is currently the 13th overall pick

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
it all depends on who is available at the pick. IF the Rams love Gilbert and he is there then they take him. If he goes to Detroit and they don't like any remaining corner enough to take at13 then they trade the pick or pick a different position player.

I really think they go OLT with the first pick but that second one is up in the air. My guess is they trade it if all of the top guys like Donald, Mack, Gilbert, etc.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes we need to refresh the DB cadre with some better talent. I have no real issues drafting a CB with the 1.13 selection but not convinced there is a CB that's worth a 1.13? I am sure on one thing I sure see no safety worthy of a 1.13. This Ha Ha Clinton Dix is a bunch of ridiculousness IMO. I would be embarrassed if that was to take place. :sick:(n)

If one of our corners were to go down we would be in trouble with McGee & Reid starting. So Rams should be in position to take Gilbert @ 1.13 if the Lion's leave him on the board. I do not see Darqueze Dennard being drafted by Snead @ 1.13. Bottom line I see only one DB that I would use our first round selection on....Gilbert.

The DB's can & most likely will be fully addressed but very doubtful it will be day one of the draft.

xander47

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are we specifically discussing CB in the early rounds?
I don't think there's any doubt we draft a corner somewhere. I seriously doubt that the plan is to have Pointer and McGee man down the nickelback slot. Reid will be on special teams initially.

I meant early round solely because I think better talent will drop to them at 13, than any of the dbs.
I agree they've got to draft a cb sooner or later in the draft. I just prefer it to be later since tru was a third round pick and look at how that turned out.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I could see either Dennard or Gilbert at 1.13 if either is available. I do not think a nickel guy is such a low priority any longer in the NFL, teams need at least 4 decent cover guys 3 on the field 65% of the time and there are always injuries so having 4 is a must not a luxury. Can McLeod, McGee or Woodard step up in one of those spots? Maybe they get one in the first and then fill later based on who is there??

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
We really don't. We can use a second round pick and still get a "pro bowl" calibre safety. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that FS is a need, I just think CB is a greater need at what is currently the 13th overall pick

I agree that cb is the greater need and I think if it were between a FS and a CB at 13 CB will be the pick but not because its the greater need I think best player availble of the two positions will be CB there Dennard or Gilbert trump Pryor and HaHa IMO. But if were somehow able to trade down some from 13 I think saftey comes into play.

laramsoriginal

Starter

Agree 100%

The division has some very good wr duo's. Having 3 very talented cb's would help the defense become elite and more importantly, feared.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
What about Brandon McGee? Is he still on the roster? I thought he had a bit of talent. I had considered FS the more "need" position - or SS if TJ McDonald is to be used as our ball hawk.

SierraRam

Recreational User
What about Brandon McGee? Is he still on the roster? I thought he had a bit of talent. I had considered FS the more "need" position - or SS if TJ McDonald is to be used as our ball hawk.

McGee can only get better ;).

This draft will run out of good Safeties before CB's. I think we go S at 13 or 2nd round at the latest (preferably Bucannon or Ward). However, if Donald is on the board at 13, we have to go for it. A disrupter in the middle of our D-line would make us double Nasty!