Draft analyst likes where Rams are sitting at Nos. 16 and 22

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_51794c1e-2449-5190-9636-6390b392bd94.html

In a year without much sizzle at the top, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says the Rams are in a good spot in the first round.
“I think St. Louis is in really good position,” Mayock said during a Monday conference call. “I don’t like being in the top 10 this year. I’d much rather be at 16 and 22.”

The Rams have the No. 16 and No. 22 overall picks, with the first of those two their original pick and the second coming from Washington in the Robert Griffin III trade last March.

“At 16, if they want to get an offensive tackle — or let’s just say, offensive lineman — they’re gonna be able to get a heckuva player,” Mayock said. “I think Eric Fisher (Central Michigan) and Luke Joeckel (Texas A&M) will be gone. So the question is — is Lane Johnson of Oklahoma there? If he’s there, I think he makes a ton of sense.

“D.J. Fluker (Alabama) is the next tackle. I think he will be there at 16, and he may be there at 22 unless there’s a run on tackles.

“When you’re talking about the wide receiver position, I think Cordarrelle Patterson’s (Tennessee) probably gone (by) 16. I think at 22, you’ll be looking at will Keenan Allen (California) make sense? And after that, I think you’re reaching at the wide receiver position.”

At safety, Mayock thinks Kenny Vaccaro of Texas probably will be gone by No. 16. Tight end or outside linebacker could be possibilities as well. At No. 22, Mayock believes his top three-ranked tight ends all begin to come into play: Zach Ertz (Stanford), Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame), and Gavin Escobar (San Diego State).

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re: Draft analyst likes where Rams are sitting at Nos. 16 an

I think if we look receiver at 22 it's gotta be a TE, Austin if Amendola isn't coming back. If he is, then as much as I like Austin, the top TE would probably be better for the team.

16 I think either has to be O-Line or defense. If Vacarro is there I'd take him, unless Lane Johnson or Warmack is there.

Vault 82

Rookie

Mike Mayock = best draft analyst

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

He's right. This is a good time to be middle of the pack. If we had the 2nd overall in THIS draft, it wouldn't be worth half as much as last year's or next year's. Hopefully Washington TANKS this year so we can draft Clowney or trade that pick for someone else's entire draft & more.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

X said:
He's right. This is a good time to be middle of the pack. If we had the 2nd overall in THIS draft, it wouldn't be worth half as much as last year's or next year's. Hopefully Washington TANKS this year so we can draft Clowney or trade that pick for someone else's entire draft & more.
I like where we are at with the exception of maybe not having a shot at one of the top 3 OT's who are quite a bit above the other OT's unless you want a RT only.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

X said:

That would be awesome lol. Johnny football is gonna be some pretty good bait too. Matthews coming back to protect him.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vault 82 said:
Mike Mayock = best draft analyst
that

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

DR RAM said:
I like where we are at with the exception of maybe not having a shot at one of the top 3 OT's who are quite a bit above the other OT's unless you want a RT only.

I'd be okay with that. I really think Saffold is the LT, a couple of health hiccups aside. I don't think there's been a problem with his play when healthy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Warner4Prez said:
DR RAM said:

I'd be okay with that. I really think Saffold is the LT, a couple of health hiccups aside. I don't think there's been a problem with his play when healthy.
I agree, but you said the key word--healthy. There would be no reason not to pick a superior LT prospect and play him on the right until he's ready to take over, or when he is needed.

I'm not even saying that is our biggest need, nor that I would pick a LT in round one, but I do like options, we don't know how the draft will fall. For instance, if we don't want a OT, and one is still available, could be good trade bait. There's good value in an elite LT prospect.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Lane Johnson at 16 and Kyle Long in the second round would make me pretty happy. Long would be a good Guard with the ability to play OT if needed, and Johnson can grow and be a strong T. With the 22nd pick the Rams can go TE or OLB as well. I don't think that Kyle Long will last to the 3rd round, but Rambo probably will and that upgrades our S. With those three rounds we improve our O-Line, TE/OLB, and S with all guys who can start day 1.

Would make me happy. If Johnson isn't there at 16, which is likely, then Warmack (if he is there) could go, and if he's not there either I'd expect Patterson or Vacaroo to be there, so either way that's an upgrade. I know that Kyle Long looks like a better Guard prospect, but he could play RT as well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

bluecoconuts said:
Lane Johnson at 16 and Kyle Long in the second round would make me pretty happy. Long would be a good Guard with the ability to play OT if needed, and Johnson can grow and be a strong T. With the 22nd pick the Rams can go TE or OLB as well. I don't think that Kyle Long will last to the 3rd round, but Rambo probably will and that upgrades our S. With those three rounds we improve our O-Line, TE/OLB, and S with all guys who can start day 1.

Would make me happy. If Johnson isn't there at 16, which is likely, then Warmack (if he is there) could go, and if he's not there either I'd expect Patterson or Vacaroo to be there, so either way that's an upgrade. I know that Kyle Long looks like a better Guard prospect, but he could play RT as well.

I think one of the safeties will be there in the third round, and I agree that Kyle Long would not be. I too think that Kyle is versatile enough to start at guard, and be able to fill in at tackle.

It's funny when you discuss the draft and everyone says, "That guy won't be there when we pick", but if you add up all the names that are referred to, you could almost fill the entire first round.

nighttrain

Legend

all i know is i think we need two starting OL and a startng Free safety in this draft + some backups from somewhere all over the place. Fisher & Snead sure inherited a mess, but they sure did a great job last year, and RoK is the wild card. i dont like how he came to camp out of shape, but if he can start this year at Guard, well, if would be a BFD
train

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

DR RAM said:
Warner4Prez said:
DR RAM said:

I agree, but you said the key word--healthy. There would be no reason not to pick a superior LT prospect and play him on the right until he's ready to take over, or when he is needed.

I'm not even saying that is our biggest need, nor that I would pick a LT in round one, but I do like options, we don't know how the draft will fall. For instance, if we don't want a OT, and one is still available, could be good trade bait. There's good value in an elite LT prospect.

It's not like Rodger's injuries were like Jason Smith's that made him unreliable.

2 freak injuries (one not during a game) unrelated to each other doesn't deter me from him. That's another thing being unrelated. Chronic issues like hammies or concucssions are different.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

I'm really starting to think that those 5 O-linemen will be gone and maybe even Vaccaro. The O-line is definitely a premium in this draft. No one want's to get in a bidding war for Long, Cherilous or Vollmer; these guys' stock is already rising fast and the combine likely won't do much to change that.

KC, Philly, Detroit, Zona, San Diego, Miami all have needs on the line. Jets and Titans both have needs at Safety. Not sure who falls or sneaks by, but I don't really like the prospects of what's left behind at 16.

Maybe Ogletree or T'eo? Does a positional change make sense for either of those guys, I think they both have the size to play strongside LB though.

Any opinions here?

bluecoconuts

Legend

Patterson at 16 then, he's the highest rated WR.

iced

Warner4Prez said:
I'm really starting to think that those 5 O-linemen will be gone and maybe even Vaccaro. The O-line is definitely a premium in this draft. No one want's to get in a bidding war for Long, Cherilous or Vollmer; these guys' stock is already rising fast and the combine likely won't do much to change that.

KC, Philly, Detroit, Zona, San Diego, Miami all have needs on the line. Jets and Titans both have needs at Safety. Not sure who falls or sneaks by, but I don't really like the prospects of what's left behind at 16.

Maybe Ogletree or T'eo? Does a positional change make sense for either of those guys, I think they both have the size to play strongside LB though.

Any opinions here?

I'm not for spending a first round pick on a SLB, let alone LB that has huge character questions (DUI for ogletree, Teo you already know about)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Warner4Prez said:
DR RAM said:

It's not like Rodger's injuries were like Jason Smith's that made him unreliable.

2 freak injuries (one not during a game) unrelated to each other doesn't deter me from him. That's another thing being unrelated. Chronic issues like hammies or concucssions are different.
It really doesn't matter if a part of a plane falls out of the sky and injures him, if he gets injured, we are screwed. We are a much better team when he plays.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Warner4Prez said:

Any opinions here?
Cooper is another very highly rated guard. Fluker could also be an option, a better one if we force an offensive lineman here.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

I would be stunned if they went LB in the 1st. Te'o is a 3-4 rd talent as far as I am concerned....

iced

DR RAM said:
Warner4Prez said:

Any opinions here?
Cooper is another very highly rated guard. Fluker could also be an option, a better one if we force an offensive lineman here.

think cooper is a reach there.. he's probably there in the 2nd