Draft an OT with our top pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldramfan

bigramfan1966
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@iced you put up the argument that the tackles played well and the guards were the problem. I actually agree with you on this but you're not taking into consideration that Long is coming off a serious injury and Barksdale is ideally a swing tackle. Wells is hurt a lot and the guards have been terrible.

We need to draft an OT because of the insurance it provides the team. You can move him into the LG spot if Long is healthy or put him at RT as an upgrade over Barksdale. Everyone agrees that Saffold is a better OG than OT so keep him there. I choose Robinson based solely on his abilities as a run blocker, which are excellent. He can be coached up on his pass blocking but you can't argue that his strength would help the running game and that's what the Rams are now; a power running team.

Throw in the fact that Sam will be a little nervous about his knee and that if he doesn't produce he is likely gone and drafting an OT makes all the sense especially if he grades out at the top of your draft board. I would take Clowney over anyone based upon his abilities but he is the only one. I don't think Mack is really that good but I have been wrong before.

Fisher has said that Sam is our guy this year. It makes sense that we would give him every ounce of OL protection that we can so we can step out of all the two tight end sets that we were running in the second half of the season. We have young guys who need to step up but this should be the year they do so. We really need Sam to come through for us and if he doesn't then it won't matter what WRs we have because it will likely be a rookie throwing to them next year.

iced

Wow. Just ... wow.

You know, there isn't such a need for so much anger. Besides, I've heard all your arguments before. And spare me the condescension.

If you don't want a response in a condescending tone then don't treat with me one initially.

You're going to throw out the Josh Gordon card? Even I know our receivers don't match up to him, yet. Give me a break.

If all you can do to justify picking Watkins is by comparing our receivers' production to a WR stud, then there's nothing left to be said. AT ALL.

okay Alshon Jeffrey? Hell even Donnie Avery reached the endzone a few times. Even Rod Streeter out produced Givens again.

So what's givens excuse again for not reaching the end zone in his last 22 games, 12 of which he had bradford?

iced

@iced you put up the argument that the tackles played well and the guards were the problem. I actually agree with you on this but you're not taking into consideration that Long is coming off a serious injury and Barksdale is ideally a swing tackle. Wells is hurt a lot and the guards have been terrible.

Barksdale is fine starting at RT and played well, especially in pass pro. i have more faith in long's health than I do the receivers playing at a high level.

We need to draft an OT because of the insurance it provides the team. You can move him into the LG spot if Long is healthy or put him at RT as an upgrade over Barksdale. Everyone agrees that Saffold is a better OG than OT so keep him there. I choose Robinson based solely on his abilities as a run blocker, which are excellent. He can be coached up on his pass blocking but you can't argue that his strength would help the running game and that's what the Rams are now; a power running team.
The Rams still throw the ball more with bradford under center. And robinson scares the hell out of me in pass pro - i'll pass on the project. Even finished admitted he'd need some work.

Fisher has said that Sam is our guy this year. It makes sense that we would give him every ounce of OL protection that we can so we can step out of all the two tight end sets that we were running in the second half of the season. We have young guys who need to step up but this should be the year they do so. We really need Sam to come through for us and if he doesn't then it won't matter what WRs we have because it will likely be a rookie throwing to them next year.

Umm, They planned on running two tight end sets all season with cook and kendricks. They're actually quite the tandem - I like our tight ends, do not like what we have starting at outside receiver. And when you say give sam every ounce of protection, if your plan is to move him to guard why not just draft one in the 2nd? there will be plenty of starting guards with this class.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Sure, they've gotten better. The signing of Jake Long made a difference. But they went from a pass first scheme to run first and that moved in that direction before Bradford was injured.

Injuries and inconsistent play on the online has plagued our offense and that's why they have to invest in decent talent for coach Boudreau to work with. I'm not arguing which round because I could honestly see a lot of players in this draft helping this team out long term.

No question about it though, drafting Matthews or Robinson and a guard would make our line elite this year when everyone is healthy. Basically we'd be set at a position that the fans have suffered through neglect with over the years. Well maybe not so much neglect as bad drafting. And for what it's worth I see Robinson more as a Safford 2.0 at worst. I wouldn't compare him to Smith.

But, for this line to really be rated that highly, we have to be able to pass first in a spread offense without being so darn predictable with our pass protection. Third game in nobody was buying that draw play, I'm sorry. Note I don't even require that they excel. I just would like an option against good run defenses like we all know this team needs on our division.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
If you don't want a response in a condescending tone then don't treat with me one initially.
Wait a minute. I said I was done, but that requires a response. All through your opinion of our receivers--in just about every thread you've posted--there's condescension, and not just to me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
i have more faith in long's health than I do the receivers playing at a high level.

Has not Jake Long has pretty significant injuries and surgeries the LAST THREE SEASONS IN A ROW? That is not anything close to what is normal for any NFL player period ....I am not sure how I could have an ounce of faith in the health of aging injury prone Jake Long who has endured well over a half dozen major injuries and a dozen moderate injuries in his young football life? The amount and the mounting of such injuries as a fact do rob all players of their ability to play the game either early or later in Orlando Pace case.

I read & hear in the forum and others that Jake Long had close to a all pro year in 2013....I would agree with that in his run blocking performance but would sure argue heavy that in 2013 he struggle much with speed rushers just as he did in 2012 when Miami lost faith in him and gave him up to us.

Jake might have one more season as a starter @ OLT ...maybe but the rest of his starting future in the NFL is @ Right OT where he can perform those duties much better with what he now can do best! That what I would prefer. Bottom line IMO this is the time to come away in this 2014 draft with our future all pro Left OT for many seasons. I think Sam will agree with me.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Jake Long is an old 28 yrs of age. He was an ironman anchor his first three seasons.
Torn biceps(2011) torn triceps(2012) torn MCL/ACL(2013). Three straight seasons ending on the IR.
I will be thrilled and amazed if he can get back into the lineup by week 4 and play at an all pro level the rest of the way and into 2015.

Rams need to draft an OT now, or we could just go out and buy another high priced FA next season. :eek:

iced

Wait a minute. I said I was done, but that requires a response. All through your opinion of our receivers--in just about every thread you've posted--there's condescension, and not just to me.

I only responded for future reference - I don't put condescension into my posts (atleast not intentionally) unless provoked.

iced

Has not Jake Long has pretty significant injuries and surgeries the LAST THREE SEASONS IN A ROW? That is not anything close to what is normal for any NFL player period ....I am not sure how I could have an ounce of faith in the health of aging injury prone Jake Long who has endured well over a half dozen major injuries and a dozen moderate injuries in his young football life? The amount and the mounting of such injuries as a fact do rob all players of their ability to play the game either early or later in Orlando Pace case.

I read & hear in the forum and others that Jake Long had close to a all pro year in 2013....I would agree with that in his run blocking performance but would sure argue heavy that in 2013 he struggle much with speed rushers just as he did in 2012 when Miami lost faith in him and gave him up to us.

Jake might have one more season as a starter @ OLT ...maybe but the rest of his starting future in the NFL is @ Right OT where he can perform those duties much better with what he now can do best! That what I would prefer. Bottom line IMO this is the time to come away in this 2014 draft with our future all pro Left OT for many seasons. I think Sam will agree with me.

Actually Jake was Pretty solid in Pass Pro too and leading up to the week he tore his ACL, he had a lot of votes for the pro bowl. Think he was #1 or #2 in voting at the time for LT's. I just don't see how people can look at a receiving corps who has never played at a high level or even a mediocre level and expect them to make that leap vs Jake Long staying healthy and playing at the high level again. Jake's done it before, he did it last season - it's easy to see how he could do it again.

I don't think Jake has one more season left - he's not that old, and I think he's got 3 left in him (the length of the contract).

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I only responded for future reference - I don't put condescension into my posts (atleast not intentionally) unless provoked.
Well then ... it appears you have been "provoked" quite a bit over the past month.:whistle:

I understand these difference of opinions can get heated. But. I also believe one should be aware how oneself sounds when defending said opinion. I can admit that there was some condescension in my first post, but that doesn't require you to go postal about it. I mean, how many times in this thread alone have you defended your opinion? What set you off about mine, other than the condescension? I actually received a number of likes for it.;)

Where's that olive branch smiley?:fighting: No, that's not it.

iced

Well then ... it appears you have been "provoked" quite a bit over the past month.:whistle:

I believe so - then again sometimes it's hard to convey emotion through text and how things are perceived from one end can be the opposite on the other.

I understand these difference of opinions can get heated. But. I also believe one should be aware how oneself sounds when defending said opinion. I can admit that there was some condescension in my first post, but that doesn't require you to go postal about it. I mean, how many times in this thread alone have you defended your opinion? What set you off about mine, other than the condescension? I actually received a number of likes for it.;)
Where's that olive branch smiley?:fighting: No, that's not it.

Lol sorry that was more of a timing issue.. I was little buzzed and was frustrated with the woman (was getting texted i'm in the dog house - I felt like Isiah pead) so when I read the condescending part I just went off, typed the message, and took off to deal with her lol

It's all good man - i truly do not try to fight with people cause we're all Ram bro's here :cheers:, although I won't lie I am passionate about football and it carries over into my stance/opinion sometimes

lockdnram21

Legend
Actually Jake was Pretty solid in Pass Pro too and leading up to the week he tore his ACL, he had a lot of votes for the pro bowl. Think he was #1 or #2 in voting at the time for LT's. I just don't see how people can look at a receiving corps who has never played at a high level or even a mediocre level and expect them to make that leap vs Jake Long staying healthy and playing at the high level again. Jake's done it before, he did it last season - it's easy to see how he could do it again.

I don't think Jake has one more season left - he's not that old, and I think he's got 3 left in him (the length of the contract).

Givens played at a high level his rookie year didnt he? He also had steven jackson. The beginning of this yearwe didnt have a run game. Tavon should be example. He couldnt get open for nothing at the beginning of the year stacy started running the ball and what happen, Tavon started being Tavon fro west V. Its no coincidence .

iced

Givens played at a high level his rookie year didnt he? He also had steven jackson. The beginning of this yearwe didnt have a run game. Tavon should be example. He couldnt get open for nothing at the beginning of the year stacy started running the ball and what happen, Tavon started being Tavon fro west V. Its no coincidence .

I would not call what Givens played at a high level. Keenan Allen last year would be a high level. We didn't have a run game for the first 4 games - that still leaves 3 games w/ bradford. Even quick managed to out produced Givens, especially the Carolina game.

Rams threw the ball a lot early - problem is a lot of receivers the first 3 or 4 weeks seemed to have an issue with catching the ball - can't be eating that popcorn on the side line. Not to mention I think he's one trick pony that's not that threatening. Tavon was clearly a bigger threat to defenses - i often saw tavon being doubled going deep

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rams had 22 receiving TDs last year. Half of those TDs went to TEs.
6 more went to the bigger WRs Quick and Pettis.

Anybody know how often Givens is on the field in the redzone?
Or even pay attention?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rams had 22 receiving TDs last year. Half of those TDs went to TEs.
6 more went to the bigger WRs Quick and Pettis.

Anybody know how often Givens is on the field in the redzone?
Or even pay attention?
No very often, to be honest.

lockdnram21

Legend
I would not call what Givens played at a high level. Keenan Allen last year would be a high level. We didn't have a run game for the first 4 games - that still leaves 3 games w/ bradford. Even quick managed to out produced Givens, especially the Carolina game.

Rams threw the ball a lot early - problem is a lot of receivers the first 3 or 4 weeks seemed to have an issue with catching the ball - can't be eating that popcorn on the side line. Not to mention I think he's one trick pony that's not that threatening. Tavon was clearly a bigger threat to defenses - i often saw tavon being doubled going deep

so do you think Quick will ever put it all together. i think he was close and then Bradford got hurt

lockdnram21

Legend

yea we had a running game but teams didnt immediately start really trying to stop it untill they seen Stacy was for real. My whole point is i want to see more of bradford with Quick,Bailey,Austin and even Cook with the improved run game. I seriously think we would be ok at receiver. But if we get Watkins and im being hypothetical. what are you going to do if say Quick and Bailey both get better along with Watkins and Austin. your going to just let them walk cause you want be able to pay all 4. im not saying it will happen but if it does it would seem like wasted draft picks. Thats why i think the rams want go receiver because they really dont know what they have at receiver and theres a big chance Quick qnd Bailey pan out

WelfareRam

UDFA
Name
Doug
I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams get a OL in the 1st round either. Anything for the offense would be nice especailly since Stacy has shown signs of being a good runner. The rams need all the help they can get, and since they didn't make any significant moves in Free Agency they have no choice.

scifiman

I hate this time of year and all the arguing about who we should draft. Some teams have the theory of taking what they think is the best player available no matter what position he plays. Obviously that would be stupid to do say if you had a good starting qb and so would probably not take another qb high in the draft. I think it depends on your team and how big a need and how critical that position is. If you look at most Olines in the nfl they have a mix of high draft picks and very low draft picks. Many a good OL was picked up in the 7th or UFA. The Dline is different.

All I know is that we have some real weaknesses on the team and to me the highest priority is the OLine and secondary. Draft those positions first and then get a wr and olb and qb and rb in the later rounds.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I hate this time of year and all the arguing about who we should draft. Some teams have the theory of taking what they think is the best player available no matter what position he plays. Obviously that would be stupid to do say if you had a good starting qb and so would probably not take another qb high in the draft. I think it depends on your team and how big a need and how critical that position is. If you look at most Olines in the nfl they have a mix of high draft picks and very low draft picks. Many a good OL was picked up in the 7th or UFA. The Dline is different.

All I know is that we have some real weaknesses on the team and to me the highest priority is the OLine and secondary. Draft those positions first and then get a wr and olb and qb and rb in the later rounds.
A lot of us are with you on the Mother-ship, just don't tell anybody. I think the value, mostly, meets the needs.