Draft an OT with our top pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Not an insurance policy alone, but one that fills a HUGE need at OG. By selecting Matthews or Robinson with our first pick I get some insurance in case Jake doesn't come back from major surgery in 11 months, in game shape and ready to compete at a high level. If he does come back as good as new, I've now plugged a massive hole at OG with I pick I hope not to have in the foreseeable future (I don't expect we'll be drafting in the top 20 again any time soon).

And yet Guard is a position that isn't typically in high demand like a tackle, qb, pass rusher, etc. They often fall - And I want nothing to do with Robinson. He's Jason Smith 2.0 to me. He wasn't even the top prospect before the combine - and after his little work out in shorts, we're supposed to be ooo'ing and aw'ing? Nah I'll stick with the film.

And I can very easily see us drafting in the top 20 again - i mean hell we finished 7-9 and we're drafting 13 lol

BTW - how would you fix the o-line and the Receiving corps? I shared mine, lets hear yours

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's taken a beating - but I'm not to make an argument for a player in the 2014 draft based on what happened in 2010/2011 when 85% of that team is gone.
I've already made my point as to why the OLine personnel of the last four years is relevant to Bradford today.

Anyway, i'm not trying to talk anybody into drafting "my guy" at the top, Iced. My point is that the protection has been sub-par and it needs to get better.

iced

I've already made my point as to why the OLine personnel of the last four years is relevant to Bradford today.

Anyway, i'm not trying to talk anybody into drafting "my guy" at the top, Iced. My point is that the protection has been sub-par and it needs to get better.

And you're missing my point - the Protection has been Much better, and last season was easily one of the top 10 in terms of protection. 8th in sacks and 12th in hits? Wasn't even that bad the year before where we gave up 3 less sacks (and Bradford played the whole season).

I think people have Seattle's week 17 game stuck in their head and that's what they keep thinking about when discussing the o-line..

then again it is hard to get chris william's failures out of your head -shudders- He should write a book on how to not play LT

Alan

Legend
iced still relying on his faulty memory:
Minor part? Really? You don't think Blocking,regardless of Pass or Run, plays any part in this? Wow. If Jared Cook was just a "minor part" he wouldn't have disappeared from the offense for the next 4 weeks after the scheme change - oh and that's not on Kellen Clemens, that's him not being on the field.

My friend I think it is you that needs the memory. The rotation at LG which included Brandon Washington was dreadful as was Harvey Dahl at RG. Chris williams at Guard was also ugly as all hell, and even worse when he had to play tackle. Jake Long, Scott Wells, Barksdale, and Saffold were all bright spots.

Btw Scott Wells was the best pass blocking center too.

But I digress - the weakness was on the interior. Long and Barksdale both graded out highly.

The fact that pretty much everyone in the known universe (and a few parallel ones) think we have a desperate need for an OT should give you pause and maybe cause you to do a little more research to refresh your memory. Although it doesn't mean you're wrong of course. ;)

There are just way too many mistakes in what you say here and misreadings of what I said for me to want to rehash this again. Even though there isn't much else to talk about I'll pass. We'll just have to disagree about this.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'm taking one of Matthews or Robinson with pick 1A, hopefully after a trade down, but taking one of them regardless. At 13, depending on who is left on the board, I would select one of A. Donald, C. Pryor, J. Gilbert (in that order). Then, again hopefully with the extra 2nd rounder acquired in the trade of the 2nd overall, I would add Su'a Fllo, Z. Martin, J. Bitinio or D. Yankey (in that order) depending on who is available. At this point I think our OL is set for years, even in the event of injury and/or Barksdale walking at the end of this year. If pick 1B was A. Donald I would reconsider the early 2nd rounder in search of a DB.

I've seen our OL decimated too many times over the years and once that happens everything else seems to unravel. Not saying my way is right, or yours is wrong, just different viewpoints.

iced

The fact that pretty much everyone in the known universe (and a few parallel ones) think we have a desperate need for an OT should give you pause and maybe cause you to do a little more research to refresh your memory. Although it doesn't mean you're wrong of course. ;)

Riiigghhhhtt.....cause the talking Media have been such Great Experts

There are just way too many mistakes in what you say here and misreadings of what I said for me to want to rehash this again. Even though there isn't much else to talk about I'll pass. We'll just have to disagree about this.

Works for me. I seriously can't believe that you think the Interior wasn't the biggest glaring hole on the offensive line.

You should seriously do some research - I can't even begin to point out how far off base you are.

iced

I'm taking one of Matthews or Robinson with pick 1A, hopefully after a trade down, but taking one of them regardless. At 13, depending on who is left on the board, I would select one of A. Donald, C. Pryor, J. Gilbert (in that order). Then, again hopefully with the extra 2nd rounder acquired in the trade of the 2nd overall, I would add Su'a Fllo, Z. Martin, J. Bitinio or D. Yankey (in that order) depending on who is available. At this point I think our OL is set for years, even in the event of injury and/or Barksdale walking at the end of this year. If pick 1B was A. Donald I would reconsider the early 2nd rounder in search of a DB.

I've seen our OL decimated too many times over the years and once that happens everything else seems to unravel. Not saying my way is right, or yours is wrong, just different viewpoints.

The only thing that worries me about this is that who's riding the bench?

Barksdale and Long are the starting Tackles, Saffold is the guard and Wells is the center..so who's manning the guard spot if you draft Su'A Flo, Martin, Bitino, Yankey, and/or Matthews/Robinson. IMO it's wasted pick if you take 2 - I'd keep the same draft as you except watkins for matthews/robinson and take one of those guards.

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

Barksdale and Long are the starting Tackles, Saffold is the guard and Wells is the center..so who's manning the guard spot if you draft Su'A Flo, Martin, Bitino, Yankey, and/or Matthews/Robinson. IMO it's wasted pick if you take 2 - I'd keep the same draft as you except watkins for matthews/robinson and take one of those guards.
Were it not for injury history all along our OL I would be more comfortable with your plan. As we sit, I'm more comfortable with our young WRs than I am with our oft injured, and aging, OL.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Iced and i are on the same page. All we are saying is its laughable that some seem to think if we dont go Oline with 2 overall that doesnt mean we are neglecting the o line or watkins will be useless because sam will always on his back.
I agree whole heartedly! I rather have watkins but no point in taking him. We need to cement the protection in pass blocking and open up more oppurtunites in our run game. Our WR's, TE's, and RB's will respond well.

iced

Were it not for injury history all along our OL I would be more comfortable with your plan. As we sit, I'm more comfortable with our young WRs than I am with our oft injured, and aging, OL.

I don't get how people are comfortable with these receivers... My method we address 2 Gigantic Glaring Holes (Wide receiver and Guard)... which I guess you don't view as a need? Cause when you compare our production to the rest of the league its downright pathetic.

I am way more comfortable with players who have proven that they have played at a high level - our receiving corps has yet to do that, and yet to do that for 6 years...

Torry Holt was the last Ram Receiver to even sniff out 800 yards...

think about that..

The Cards, Niners, and Seahawks had atleast two players break 800 last season. The Rams haven't had one player do it since 2008

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I think most of us(including myself) aren't banking on Jake Long to continue at a high level for much longer due to his recent durability issues. Barksdale will never be a LT, and Saffold has already been there done that. If J.Long isn't ready to go early in the season i think it's pretty clear that Saffold will be the guy to slide out. Thats a shitty idea and a different argument, but if thats the case then who moves inside to replace him?

I hate this OLine. Overpriced,taped and glued and injury-prone.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I don't get how people are comfortable with these receivers... My method we address 2 Gigantic Glaring Holes (Wide receiver and Guard)... which I guess you don't view as a need? Cause when you compare our production to the rest of the league its downright pathetic.

I am way more comfortable with players who have proven that they have played at a high level - our receiving corps has yet to do that, and yet to do that for 6 years...

Torry Holt was the last Ram Receiver to even sniff out 800 yards...

think about that..

The Cards, Niners, and Seahawks had atleast two players break 800 last season. The Rams haven't had one player do it since 2008
Different ways to attack a problem, I guess. I have much more confidence in seeing growth from our young WRs than I do in seeing a return from multiple injury ridden OL. Just my opinion. In comparison, which is more likely to derail our season next year? Running with the WRs we have and having a healthy OL or adding S. Watkins and having backups play multiple games in multiple positions along the OL?

iced

I think most of us(including myself) aren't banking on Jake Long to continue at a high level for much longer due to his recent durability issues. Barksdale will never be a LT, and Saffold has already been there done that. If J.Long isn't ready to go early in the season i think it's pretty clear that Saffold will be the guy to slide out. Thats a crappy idea and a different argument, but if thats the case then who moves inside to replace him?

I hate this OLine. Overpriced,taped and glued and injury-prone.

Get used to it. If there's one trend Fisher has kept consistent, it's having a Veteran O-line... and If Scott Wells can't get cut - I definitely wouldn't be expecting Jake Long not to live out his contract.

I don't get the notion of why we shouldn't expect him to return to form - I mean hell he just did that again last season. His durability issues would concern me more if it were not for Coach Fisher - but I've seen how he treats his guys (days off,days for rest) and they've responded. Look how many games he missed in miami the past 2 seasons and look how many he played here. He didn't just one day pop a super multivitamin pill that allowed him to play longer here - it's about managing your players. And Offensive linemen have played well into their later years (Orlando Pace is a great example), which Long's not even close to yet. When his contract runs out he'll be near it, but thats 3 years away and no one has a crystal ball :D

iced

Different ways to attack a problem, I guess. I have much more confidence in seeing growth from our young WRs than I do in seeing a return from multiple injury ridden OL. Just my opinion. In comparison, which is more likely to derail our season next year? Running with the WRs we have and having a healthy OL or adding S. Watkins and having backups play multiple games in multiple positions along the OL?

How does Not drafting Matthews/Robinson but drafting a guard guarantee we're having back ups play multiple games?

^ that's the type of logic I just can't understand.

BTW Consider this when it comes to the receiver corps - they didn't want to sign a vet because they were afraid it take away snaps from their younger gyus and they would only sign one if they believed it was an upgrade over what they have... by signing britt, and supposedly Brian Quick is the one that is going to lose snap counts to him, what do you think that says about the receiving corps?

Alan

Legend
iced on a slightly different track:
Riiigghhhhtt.....cause the talking Media have been such Great Experts

You're misreading what I said again. My point about what all the experts are saying is that they are basing their opinions on things they see. Whether you agree with what they say or not doesn't mean they don't see the same thing I see and that they aren't based on something. When a huge majority of people see something it should always give you lots of reasons to recheck your facts. Plus you completely ignored the fact that I admitted that their views (and mine) weren't necessarily correct. You could be the lone shining light of reason in the vast darkness of ignorance here. ;)

I do wish you would stoop taking things I say out of context though. Although that could be my writing style rearing its ugly head again. :eek: ;)

Works for me. I seriously can't believe that you think the Interior wasn't the biggest glaring hole on the offensive line.

You're making an assumption here and you know what they say about assumptions right? :LOL: I don't disagree that the majority of our O-line problems stemmed from the three (not two) interior positions. But you're completely ignoring so many other factors which I'd enumerate but then I'd be sucked back into this deabe again and I'm just not that interested in rehashing this again.

You should seriously do some research - I can't even begin to point out how far off base you are.

And I thank you for that. (y) :LOL:

Last edited:

iced

You're misreading what i said again. My point about what all the experts are saying is that they are basing their opinions on things they see. Whether you agree with what they say or not doesn't mean they don't see the same thing I see and that they aren't based on something. When a huge majority of people see something it should always give you lots of reasons to recheck your facts. Plus you completely ignored the fact that I admitted that their views (and mine) weren't necessarily correct. You could be the lone shining light of reason in the vast darkness of ignorance here. ;)
Problem is you're confusing Need and what they consider Talent available - I'm pretty no one is screaming that Texans have a need for DE like they do for QB since they're being penciled in with clowney, which would be following your logic (Since all the "experts" are predicting they should take clowney #1 right?). People can be entitled to express whatever they want - but I don't let other people influence my own opinion. And you haven't offered me one shred of fact or anything - I actually provided you with grades and analysis (funny considering you're talking about listening to the experts)

You're making an assumption here and you know what they say about assumptions right?

You should really take your own advice here
When a huge majority of people see something it should always give you lots of reasons to recheck your facts.

BTW how did those "expert opinions" work out on Jimmy Claussen? - I was vehemently against him and predicted he wouldn't have gone in the first round... worked out great in my favor i'd say....

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
How much did KC affect the 2013 Oline numbers? Was he better at avoiding pressure than Bradford? How about the fact that they threw on average 15.5 times per game over his 9 starts?

I trust that Fisher and Snead will bring some talented players to add to a good base the Rams have developed. Can't wait for the next 3 weeks to be over.

iced

How much did KC affect the 2013 Oline numbers? Was he better at avoiding pressure than Bradford? How about the fact that they threw on average 15.5 times per game over his 9 starts?

I was waiting for someone to do this.

Clemens doesn't have an affect on the 2012 numbers - and that was before we added Jake Long. Rams gave up 33 sacks in 2012, 36 in 2013.
I trust that Fisher and Snead will bring some talented players to add to a good base the Rams have developed. Can't wait for the next 3 weeks to be over.

Me too bro...me too

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
How does Not drafting Matthews/Robinson but drafting a guard guarantee we're having back ups play multiple games?

^ that's the type of logic I just can't understand.

BTW Consider this when it comes to the receiver corps - they didn't want to sign a vet because they were afraid it take away snaps from their younger gyus and they would only sign one if they believed it was an upgrade over what they have... by signing britt, and supposedly Brian Quick is the one that is going to lose snap counts to him, what do you think that says about the receiving corps?

It doesn't guarantee anything, but without adding an OT if we have another injury, or Long is not ready we don't have starter quality to fill the void at LT. If one of those 2 are drafted we do have a contingency plan at least.

No one know at this point who loses snaps. All we have is speculation, there is no guarantee K. Britt even makes the final roster. What it tells me is that the FO believes in contingency plans.

iced

It doesn't guarantee anything, but without adding an OT if we have another injury, or Long is not ready we don't have starter quality to fill the void at LT. If one of those 2 are drafted we do have a contingency plan at least.

There is saffold - that's why we paid him as a swing tackle. He's great in a pinch - but saying we shouldn't use him at LT should Long go down but move matthews/robinson to guard doesn't make sense, imo. You know what you're getting out Saffold. You don't know if either one of those can play LT in the Nfl

Btw i wouldnt want to draft Mathews unless he plays Tackle, but thats me. And obviously hell no to robinson/jason smith 2.0.

i'd rather have saffold cause of the experience

No one know at this point who loses snaps. All we have is speculation, there is no guarantee K. Britt even makes the final roster. What it tells me is that the FO believes in contingency plans.

my point was though them saying they weren't going to sign someone unless they were an upgrade

heres the speculation on quick/britt

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/stl/?r=1
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch expects Brian Quick's playing time to suffer most if the Kenny Britt signing works out.

In two seasons since getting selected 33rd overall, Quick has totaled just 29 catches for 458 yards and four touchdowns. And like Britt, he's a big-bodied outside wideout that profiles as an "X" receiver. If Britt's knee is right and his head is on straight, Quick may not even get the 361 snaps he saw in 2013.

Last edited: