Draft a QB with a high round pick? Really??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I'm not sure if I should go on a cussing tirade or be laughing my ass off on that.. I keep hearing people here on this board and pundits on the radio saying we need to draft a QB. It's getting quite comical IMHO.

1st, have you all witnessed this OL the past 10 years???? It's time to address it, and no need to be drafting a QB that may be hit or miss, especially with this draft class. This team needs to be drafting OL, and I mean deep. Today, as with many other days have been embarrassing. Not only do we have no quality starters, but we have no depth (at least that Snisher and Boudreau will play). I give you Grob and Saffold at OG and that's it.. other than that, this OL needs blown up. Remember Barksdale is a FA next year.

You all can draft a QB early, but he's not going to make a difference next year. I know OL men need time to be developed too, but right now, we could plug and play them before a QB. I like Boudreau but I don't get his fascination with vets? Maybe it's Snisher dictating that to him?? Regardless, we need to give up on FA's and get some young hungry studs going. Someone that can be coached up, and are not in the waning years of their careers.. Long, Wells, and Joseph come to mind here..

As Government has proven.. throwing money at the problem is not the solution.. Sign someone like Chase Daniel to back up Sam and QB problem is solved for a year. Draft OL hard and heavy.. You all seen it today and the past season and years.. You win the war in the trenches. Football is that simple even in this day and age.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Draft the right QB with a high round pick. And then use other high round picks to fortify the OL as well as FA to improve the OL depth.

And no, I don't consider the QB problem solved by signing Chase Daniel.

Fixing the OL and getting a high round QB are not mutually exclusive.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Still want to draft a QB at some point. But the line should be priority #1

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Qb doesn't have to be a 1st rounder but we do need to draft one high. But I don't expect a rookie to come in a play at qb right away anyway. I agree we need to draft linemen early and often but history tells us you can find good lineman anywhere in the draft. I also believe we are a year late in drafting a qb. Last year we should have drafted a qb in the middle rounds imo to develop. Also Snead is on record saying that when we draft a qb fans are gonna have to be patient because he would need a few years to develop and "go thru our system". He said that a few months ago on the radio

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
All good points posted here and I agree they are not mutually exclusive, both QB and o-line have to be addressed. But remember there's also free agency, not just the draft, and I imagine the free agent o-line situation will be a bit better than the retread QB market. Then again the Rams free agent track record isn't exactly stellar...

Memphis Ram

Legend
BPA within reason on their board is the best option. Doesn't matter if it's a QB or OLineman, or whatever.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
it's really bad enough that I say grab a top lineman then possibly trade back into the first for another.

iced

Mariota is only the QB worth it....but drafting a QB looks moot with at least 4 needy teams in front of us (Bucs, Titans, Redskins, Jets , Chicago ).

but i doubt this team is dumb enough to gamble on winston like the browns did with manziel

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Drafting a QB high is possibly the worst move we could make. The cost for the top two QBs are enough to have to mortgage the franchise. Bradford is looking like our best move by a mile if we have a prayer at fixing our glaring offensive line issues.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The combination of a rookie QB, bad OL and Shottenheimer trying to game plan around the two sounds like a nightmare to me.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I'm not sure if I should go on a cussing tirade or be laughing my ass off on that.. I keep hearing people here on this board and pundits on the radio saying we need to draft a QB. It's getting quite comical IMHO.

1st, have you all witnessed this OL the past 10 years???? It's time to address it, and no need to be drafting a QB that may be hit or miss, especially with this draft class. This team needs to be drafting OL, and I mean deep. Today, as with many other days have been embarrassing. Not only do we have no quality starters, but we have no depth (at least that Snisher and Boudreau will play). I give you Grob and Saffold at OG and that's it.. other than that, this OL needs blown up. Remember Barksdale is a FA next year.

You all can draft a QB early, but he's not going to make a difference next year. I know OL men need time to be developed too, but right now, we could plug and play them before a QB. I like Boudreau but I don't get his fascination with vets? Maybe it's Snisher dictating that to him?? Regardless, we need to give up on FA's and get some young hungry studs going. Someone that can be coached up, and are not in the waning years of their careers.. Long, Wells, and Joseph come to mind here..

As Government has proven.. throwing money at the problem is not the solution.. Sign someone like Chase Daniel to back up Sam and QB problem is solved for a year. Draft OL hard and heavy.. You all seen it today and the past season and years.. You win the war in the trenches. Football is that simple even in this day and age.

Not sure why you think that is a bad idea....or bad enough to insult those that do?

I think most agree that trading up to get one of the top 2 is not reasonable (though I can see arguments for it)...and trying to solve OL through FA and rest of draft as a possiblity. (Though this is not my choice, I can see arguments for it).
You are not clear on what you consider a "high round" pick...I will assume 3rd or higher (though maybe you only mean 1st....need to be clear).
Reasons to draft a "high round QB:
1. low round QBs are pure luck to hit (heck I think even 3rd round are long shot)
2. need to develope the position now -
One reason people worry is that with the extra picks from RG3 we havea good window now to win, but that window has a finite time then all those players start costing
waiting on a QB till the end of that window gives no time for him to develope
3. using a 1 pick in the 1-3rd on QB doesn't prevent you from adressing the OL - it isn't one or the other, it can be both
4. starting 1st OL can be found much lower in the draft than QB

jrry 32 is right Chase with Bradford is NOT a plan. I think much of the frustration is that many feel this should have been doen last year, when the QB class looked better, and you had extra picks to play with....

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
This is sad. Hopefully at this time next year, we'll be talking about the Rams' opponents in the playoffs instead of talking about who we should take in the upcoming draft.

ScottNW

UDFA
OL has been a key area of concern for the Rams for Jeebus-knows how long and every year it seems to be addressed with stop-gap solutions or bad draft picks.

Jake Long is a great LT when healthy but is never healthy.
Roger Saffold is a good guard when healthy but can never finish a game.
Scott Wells should be gone but he'll probably stay due to the veteran/leadership presence he has despite declining play.
Davin Joseph should not be a starting NFL guard.
Joe Barksdale is a decent RT but that's it. He's a FA now and will likely need to be overpaid to stay on the Rams roster.
Barrett Jones/Tim Barnes/Mike Person/Brandon Washington/Demterius Rhaney all have their fans but are all unproven.

I like what I've seen from Greg Robinson but this team needs to invest in a quality OL, especially if they're committed to running the ball. I'm thinking of the Hogs KC had in place that helped Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson to run for ridiculous yardage.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as it isn't round 1 I'm fine. We would just be repeating the warner bulger Bradford qb battered syndrome. Like needs to be addressed. I wouldn't mind a Connor cook in round 2 though.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OL has been a key area of concern for the Rams for Jeebus-knows how long and every year it seems to be addressed with stop-gap solutions or bad draft picks.

Jake Long is a great LT when healthy but is never healthy.
Roger Saffold is a good guard when healthy but can never finish a game.
Scott Wells should be gone but he'll probably stay due to the veteran/leadership presence he has despite declining play.
Davin Joseph should not be a starting NFL guard.
Joe Barksdale is a decent RT but that's it. He's a FA now and will likely need to be overpaid to stay on the Rams roster.
Barrett Jones/Tim Barnes/Mike Person/Brandon Washington/Demterius Rhaney all have their fans but are all unproven.

I like what I've seen from Greg Robinson but this team needs to invest in a quality OL, especially if they're committed to running the ball. I'm thinking of the Hogs KC had in place that helped Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson to run for ridiculous yardage.
I remember hearing something while watching the cowboys game yesterday. Commentator was talking about who had the best offensive line in the nfl. He said it was either Denver, San fransisco, Seattle when healthy, Dallas, or New England. I don't think it's a coincidence that 4/5 of those teams are legit contenders. Look at how different romo looks this year. I agree with you, this line Needs to be bulked.

lockdnram21

Legend
As long as it isn't round 1 I'm fine. We would just be repeating the warner bulger Bradford qb battered syndrome. Like needs to be addressed. I wouldn't mind a Connor cook in round 2 though.
He's going back to school. If he came out he would be 1st rd

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!

I say we re-draft Sam Bradford and stick with him! What say you?

TheBunk

Rookie
Someone will catch eyes between now and the draft. It happens every year. You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss this draft class.