DR RAMS's Game RAMblings.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
DR RAM said:
The only thing that bothers me...I can easily deal with everything else, are the 2 things that I saw a mile away. I don't see any improvement, and they are damning things.
Go on ...
You must know, I didn't want to repeat it. Safety position, and offensive line. Safety is your last line of defense, and offensive line is your first line of offense.

The youth, all the changes in the secondary and backing corp, young receivers, offensive line cohesion, I knew there would be a learning curve.

yes, he is X by many names.

cfin5256

Rookie
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
The only thing that bothers me...I can easily deal with everything else, are the 2 things that I saw a mile away. I don't see any improvement, and they are damning things.
Go on ...
You must know, I didn't want to repeat it. Safety position, and offensive line. Safety is your last line of defense, and offensive line is your first line of offense.

The youth, all the changes in the secondary and backing corp, young receivers, offensive line cohesion, I knew there would be a learning curve.

Thought it was. Remind me never to get in to an argument with him :p

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
cfin5256 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
Go on ...

He usually just thrashes people, he has mad reasoning skills.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:

My bad. I thought you meant two things about Bradford that had you concerned. I was going to be interested in hearing that. But since we're on this subject (thank you, me), is there anything you think is troublesome about Bradford, or maybe something that looks like a fatal flaw right now?

Last night he looked kinda flat-footed and appeared to be locking on again. Of course we didn't get to see the whole field, so who knows what was going on out there. Coverage sacks are coverage sacks.

cfin5256

Rookie
DR RAM said:
cfin5256 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
Go on ...

He usually just thrashes people, he has mad reasoning skills.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I agree with him 100% on Sam. The 3 OC's in 3 years thing shouldn't be disregarded. Not to mention the lack of a dedicated QB coach last year. In retrospect, the McDaniel's hire might have set Sam back a couple of years. If we can keep the same system for awhile finally, I really believe Sam will flourish and we'll see the QB we all want to see.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope you don't mind if I add in a couple of other ramblings, DR:

Robert Turner should get a shot at left guard. I'm serious when I say this. He's talented enough to start and big enough to fit at guard. There's no way he should be a backup when guys like Ojinnaka (who I thought had a horrible game; he created absolutely no push in the running game and couldn't block the ends) and Mattison (he'd be a solid backup for sure, but I don't like him as a starter. He's way too light.) have been starting the past few games. In my opinion, the line should look something like this:

Saffold, Turner, Wells, Watkins, Dahl.

Our offensive tackle depth is not good. I'm no fan of Richardson. All the talent in the world, but he's like a bigger Alex Barron. False-start after a first down, holding on a big run, and he got Bradford killed by Bruce Carter, a backup outside linebacker who is not known for pass-rushing prowess. Jason Smith looked only marginally better than Richardson; I saw one play where a guy blew by him and nearly sacked Clemens. When Clemens escaped, Smith whiffed on his next block. And I'm not even going to get into Joe Long's game. I'm not seeing anything that makes me think he's anywhere close to being an NFL player, let alone a backup.

Loved how Watkins, and to a lesser extent, Barnes and Hebert played. Watkins has to at least get a shot with the ones. Cudjo and Conrath have secured backup spots, and Brockers was a monster in this game; Dallas didn't get anything up the middle because of him and Langford. We're not lacking interior talent and depth on either side of the ball, that's for sure. Hopefully there will be a team that releases a good young tackle and hopefully Sims can bounce back soon; he's the only backup end who can consistently cause pressure. Hayes was good in the running game, but got very little pass-rush. I never noticed Gholston, but like DR said, he was double-teamed and chipped every time he was in. We may have to keep him until Sims comes back.

I loved Robert Quinn in the passing game (he was an absolute monster going up against a fantastic young tackle in Tyron Smith, who is well known for his pass-protection abilities), but he absolutely has to keep contain. The linebackers were having problems containing runs as well, which frustrates the hell out of me. It doesn't matter whether if the running backs get a first down up the middle or if bounce to the outside; it's still a first down either way. This has to be addressed very soon or we're going to see backs like Murray run to the left all day long with impunity.

Sloppy tackling from the secondary, with the exception of Dahl, who was only terrible in coverage. That second touchdown catch by Harris was inexcusable. On plays like that, you have to wrap up and not give up the touchdown. Pointer and Daniels flashed some (Pointer had a huge hit on a quarterback scramble, and Daniels was always near the ball). McLeod and Trumaine Johnson were awesome. Fletcher was okay. Mikell, Jenkins, and Finnegan struggled. I'm really hoping that Mikell isn't slowing and that Stewart comes back. Otherwise, we may have to start McLeod. Murphy was almost invisible this game; I'm not sure if he'll make the roster if he keeps playing like this. Burney may get the job instead.

I'd love for them to give Hull a shot with the starters. McIntosh got away with a blatant PI and struggled a bit this game, and Haggan seemed a bit slow. Dunbar was great. Brown missed a tackle, but flashed his skills otherwise. Wish that Hoffman-Ellis got a bit more time; he was very good in the last game. I think Cole's earned a job with special teams alone; he made a few tackles and made a very heads-up play when Amendola fumbled on the punt return.

The refs were fucking atrocious. They blew it on Salas' touchdown catch (yes, it was a catch, and they had no proof to overturn it; the call should've stood.), missed a blatant headshot on a defenseless receiver (when Kendricks was leveled on third down), missed two extremely obvious pass-interference calls (McIntosh on Phillips and Claiborne on Steve Smith), and weren't really calling people offsides. The only play they got right was when Fisher challenged. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the old refs; at least, I miss most of them.

...I'm sorry if I sound pessimistic with these ramblings. I know it's just preseason, and I shouldn't be that way.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:

My bad. I thought you meant two things about Bradford that had you concerned. I was going to be interested in hearing that. But since we're on this subject (thank you, me), is there anything you think is troublesome about Bradford, or maybe something that looks like a fatal flaw right now?

Last night he looked kinda flat-footed and appeared to be locking on again. Of course we didn't get to see the whole field, so who knows what was going on out there. Coverage sacks are coverage sacks.
Didn't think he was locking on at all, he was going through his progressions. Guys were covered. He doesn't have very good pocket awareness, and he isn't as accurate throwing to his left. The second one is fixable, just squaring your shoulders/feet better. The first one, well, it is starting to concern me, but it too can be fixed with artificial awareness drills. Just get rid of the ball after x amount of seconds, and please, please, I said this all year last year, let Sam be a mobile QB, move the pocket, design sprint outs, and roll outs, and always give the right tackle help.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Off the top of my head, I'd have to say the most disappointing was the tackling. It wasn't just bad last night it was terrible. Jenkins gave up 4-5 massive gains some that even resulted in scores. I thought he should've stayed in the game longer just to get some more experience considering he was being challenged.

I'd have to see a different camera angle to realistically judge Sams performance. He had time to make throws a few times that he didn't. Now, if there was someone open we can't tell because of the camera angle.

Overall, the team looked sloppy. Very sloppy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
I hope you don't mind if I add in a couple of other ramblings, DR:

[hil]Robert Turner should get a shot at left guard.[/hil] I'm serious when I say this. He's talented enough to start and big enough to fit at guard. There's no way he should be a backup when guys like Ojinnaka (who I thought had a horrible game; he created absolutely no push in the running game and couldn't block the ends) and Mattison (he'd be a solid backup for sure, but I don't like him as a starter. He's way too light.) have been starting the past few games. In my opinion, the line should look something like this:

[hil]Saffold, Turner, Wells, Watkins, Dahl.[/hil]

[hil]Our offensive tackle depth is not good.[/hil] I'm no fan of Richardson. All the talent in the world, but he's like a bigger Alex Barron. False-start after a first down, holding on a big run, and he got Bradford killed by Bruce Carter, a backup outside linebacker who is not known for pass-rushing prowess. Jason Smith looked only marginally better than Richardson; [hil]I saw one play where a guy blew by him and nearly sacked Clemens. When Clemens escaped, Smith whiffed on his next block.[/hil] And I'm not even going to get into Joe Long's game. I'm not seeing anything that makes me think he's anywhere close to being an NFL player, let alone a backup.

Loved how Watkins, and to a lesser extent, Barnes and Hebert played. [hil]Watkins has to at least get a shot with the ones.[/hil] Cudjo and Conrath have secured backup spots, and Brockers was a monster in this game; Dallas didn't get anything up the middle because of him and Langford. We're not lacking interior talent and depth on either side of the ball, that's for sure. Hopefully there will be a team that releases a good young tackle and hopefully Sims can bounce back soon; he's the only backup end who can consistently cause pressure. Hayes was good in the running game, but got very little pass-rush. I never noticed Gholston, but like DR said, he was double-teamed and chipped every time he was in. We may have to keep him until Sims comes back.

I loved Robert Quinn in the passing game (he was an absolute monster going up against a fantastic young tackle in Tyron Smith, who is well known for his pass-protection abilities), but he absolutely has to keep contain. The linebackers were having problems containing runs as well, which frustrates the hell out of me. It doesn't matter whether if the running backs get a first down up the middle or if bounce to the outside; it's still a first down either way. This has to be addressed very soon or we're going to see backs like Murray run to the left all day long with impunity.

Sloppy tackling from the secondary, with the exception of Dahl, who was only terrible in coverage. That second touchdown catch by Harris was inexcusable. On plays like that, you have to wrap up and not give up the touchdown. Pointer and Daniels flashed some (Pointer had a huge hit on a quarterback scramble, and Daniels was always near the ball). McLeod and Trumaine Johnson were awesome. Fletcher was okay. Mikell, Jenkins, and Finnegan struggled. I'm really hoping that Mikell isn't slowing and that Stewart comes back. Otherwise, we may have to start McLeod. Murphy was almost invisible this game; I'm not sure if he'll make the roster if he keeps playing like this. Burney may get the job instead.

I'd love for them to give Hull a shot with the starters. McIntosh got away with a blatant PI and struggled a bit this game, and Haggan seemed a bit slow. Dunbar was great. Brown missed a tackle, but flashed his skills otherwise. Wish that Hoffman-Ellis got a bit more time; he was very good in the last game. I think Cole's earned a job with special teams alone; he made a few tackles and made a very heads-up play when Amendola fumbled on the punt return.

The refs were fucking atrocious. They blew it on Salas' touchdown catch (yes, it was a catch, and they had no proof to overturn it; the call should've stood.), missed a blatant headshot on a defenseless receiver (when Kendricks was leveled on third down), missed two extremely obvious pass-interference calls (McIntosh on Phillips and Claiborne on Steve Smith), and weren't really calling people offsides. The only play they got right was when Fisher challenged. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the old refs; at least, I miss most of them.

...I'm sorry if I sound pessimistic with these ramblings. I know it's just preseason, and I shouldn't be that way.
Agreed about the line and Turner, been saying the same thing, he's really good, but the only problem is then who are the backups? We would have to keep a RT only on a 45 man roster, unless you consider Ojinnaka, and he can't play the left, but he might be the best option. Mattison would probably be the other keeper. About Watkins, I love that the guy never stands around, if he doesn't have a guy, he'll go double team and help. We have vets that don't do that. I said he should have got a shot in this last game, but didn't. I saw that Smith play, but people want to give him a break, because Clemens didn't get sacked...he doesn't deserve a break, that was horrible, as was his backside blocking. Will they move Dahl out there? I don't know. Should they? Do they want to keep Sam from getting killed?

This is the first game that I noticed Daniel's in a good way. He was around the ball a lot.

It seems to me that this staff has already decided on the 1's, 2's, and cuts. Why not let some of these guys try to earn a spot? You can't do that playing against lesser competition. How do they know what Givens, Quick, Watkins, Mattison, Hull, Davis, Daniels, Hoffman-Ellis will give them if given a chance to step up?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

Didn't think he was locking on at all, he was going through his progressions. Guys were covered. He doesn't have very good pocket awareness, and he isn't as accurate throwing to his left. The second one is fixable, just squaring your shoulders/feet better. The first one, well, it is starting to concern me, but it too can be fixed with artificial awareness drills. Just get rid of the ball after x amount of seconds, and please, please, I said this all year last year, let Sam be a mobile QB, move the pocket, design sprint outs, and roll outs, and always give the right tackle help.
The second one is fixable, just squaring your shoulders/feet better.
Excellent point DR. Am I mistaken, or didn't Bradford do a better job of squaring up on his throws to the left in 2010? In other words, is he picking up bad habits as a result of all the beatings he's taken?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ramsince62 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

Excellent point DR. Am I mistaken, or didn't Bradford do a better job of squaring up on his throws to the left in 2010? In other words, is he picking up bad habits as a result of all the beatings he's taken?
I've never noticed this problem before, but if you think about it, and I have, Sam would have to turn his back to the right side of the line. So the question is: Would you turn your back to Richardson or Smith? I know my answer.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
ramsince62 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

I've never noticed this problem before, but if you think about it, and I have, Sam would have to turn his back to the right side of the line. So the question is: Would you turn your back to Richardson or Smith? I know my answer.
Is that anything like the difference between death by hanging or firing squad? .....But I get your point. :sly:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ramsince62 said:
DR RAM said:
ramsince62 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

Is that anything like the difference between death by hanging or firing squad? .....But I get your point. :sly:
It's more like, "death or bobo?"

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

after watching the game today i really didn't think bradford was that bad. he wasn't very good but considering the rams pretty much telegraphed each play in the 1st qtr that can be understandable. i'm not sweating his performance as i'm pretty sure sjax will be running alot when the real bullets start flying and the rams won't be letting the opposition know if the play is pass or run.

the tackling however was abominable. blown coverages in preseason you can handle but poor tackling isn't so easy to fix. sure tackling is the cornerstone of any good d unit.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
kurtfaulk said:

after watching the game today i really didn't think bradford was that bad. he wasn't very good but considering the rams pretty much telegraphed each play in the 1st qtr that can be understandable. i'm not sweating his performance as i'm pretty sure sjax will be running alot when the real bullets start flying and the rams won't be letting the opposition know if the play is pass or run.

the tackling however was abominable. blown coverages in preseason you can handle but poor tackling isn't so easy to fix. sure tackling is the cornerstone of any good d unit.

I was thinking something similar on both points. First, the Rams were telegraphing every play. It was clear that they did not have much intensity and did not game plan for this game at all. I felt bad for Sam because his WR were not getting open and when they did they didn't catch the ball. There were a few bad passes, the one to Smith comes to mind, but all in all his passes were not that horrendous. But like DR, I'm concerned about his pocket awareness. I think that when the games actually start to count, you'll see some plays that play to Sam's strengths: bootlegs, roll outs, play actions, etc.

The safety position play on Saturday was just terrible, in fact it's Charles Barkley "turrible". The middle of the field was WIDE open every play. Romo could just pass it to the TE/slot/RB and get 20 yards. Once Jenkins started recognizing that he got burned deep because he tried to break on balls which he thought would go to the guy up the seam. Mikell needs to be better. We know that Dahl is not that great in pass coverage. I hope Stewart can play better. I know this, we better spend a pick in the top three rounds on safety next year.

Our O-line was just a sieve. How much money/high picks have been spent on that damn O-line and they still play like absolute ass. Among the starters, Saffold and Wells didn't look that bad, but Quinn Ojinnaka and Richardson/J Smith had some very bad moments. Rok continues to impress, but he's generally not going against starters. I think he deserves a shot with the #1s. I keep wondering if this is by design. During the preseason, confuse those gameplanning against the Rams, but in closed door practices have Rok as the LG. Then when the games start, Detroit is surprised because they didn't think Rok would be playing. Who knows.