Dr Rams Offensive Guard Rankings And Plan For The Ol.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Guards that I like for our team>

Xavier Su'a-Filo:

Ultra Smooth, versatile. I had Yankey first before the combine, and I have seen a ton, years of tape on the two guys, but Filo's athleticism swayed me a bit. G/T.
David Yankey:
Slower than expected, but can play multiple positions. Could probably be a solid starter at RT. 34" arms. Very smooth for a large man, with a ton of experience. G/T.
Brandon Thomas:
Better athlete than expected. Love his versatility. Long arms - 34 3/4. Needs to work on kickslide to be effective tackle. G/T.
Dakota Dozier:
6'4" 314 Almost 34" arms. Had a good East/West week. Smooth. Not quick, but very good hips and flexion. Needs to work on kickslide in pass pro. G/T.
Kadeem Edwards:
Very quick feet and good flexion. 6'4" 313 with 35 1/2" arms. G/T.
Jon Halapio:
6" 3 323 Guard only, but I like his power, and movement skills. G/C.
Jonotthan Harrison:
Smooth athlete, just kept flashing for me, but only player that I'm not sure is a fit for our team. Looks powerful. Good knee bend and initial pop. I'd put him as a C/G prospect.

Summary:
I know that there are some higher prospects that I left out of this list for various reasons, but I like these players for the Rams. Cyril Richardson's performance at the Senior Bowl left a bad taste in my mouth, for instance. I think the blue players may be out of reach in the 2nd round, but everyone else should be there around the 3rd to the 6th, with Harrison being a 7th or UDFA pickup. Florida has a pretty good rep with Centers.

You can see that most of the guys have the tools, or have played effectively at Guard, and Tackle.

DR RAM's Plan:
I haven't seen or heard anything from the combine at this point to rank anyone higher, or having the value of Robinson, or Matthews at #2, if we don't trade down, and could possibly get one of them in a trade down scenario.

Now, FA comes first, and nothing has steered me away from thinking that Saffold is the Rams number one priority, so I re-sign Saffold. Give him Dahl type money, or even a little more. This will give us a capable LT if Jake Long is not ready, and a Pro Bowl caliber Guard when he's healthy.

The next thing that I do is draft Matthews or Robinson. Both are blue chippers, and both can start at Guard and play at a high level. If Matthews is the guy, you just plug him in a OLT, if J. Long is not ready.

At the next pick, I'd try to trade down, and pick the best secondary player available. In the 2nd round, hopefully two picks now, I take the best value at secondary, or linebacker, or guard, if one of the top 2 is still there. No trade down, and I think that Mike Evans is a possibility.

If we don't have a chance at one of the top guys at guard, I gave us several other options at picking a later round guard, and in my other thread at tackle.

If we do this, our offensive line will be fixed for years. This unit will be top-notch and have back-up plans at every position on the offensive line. Unit fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OLT - J. Long
LG - Robinson or Matthews
C - Jones, or Barnes
RG - Saffold
RT - Barksdale

In the wings: Take your pick: Thomas, Dozier, Edwards, Bitonio, James, Mewhort, Britt.

Released: Dahl, Wells, Williams, Smith.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Interesting that you left Gabe Jackson on your list.

I do like the idea of having Saffold back but not at more than a base of $4M per year, he is just to injury prone. And I do not think he is capable of playing T, he did twice in 2013 and wound up injured both times.

I did like what I saw of Sau' Filo
And I liked Dozier, plus his name is just a legend in the making LOL

J Long/ J Matthews
J Matthews/B Jones
Barnes/Jones
Saffold/Dozier
Barksdale/Matthews

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Interesting that you left Gabe Jackson on your list.

I do like the idea of having Saffold back but not at more than a base of $4M per year, he is just to injury prone. And I do not think he is capable of playing T, he did twice in 2013 and wound up injured both times.

I did like what I saw of Sau' Filo
And I liked Dozier, plus his name is just a legend in the making LOL
Gabe is a Guard only, I watched some bad tape on him, and I don't see him as being around in the scenarios going through my head. I see better value picking a G/T, or T/G prospect much later in the draft. I don't always agree with the experts on picks, but I have a pretty good track record for evaluating OL prospects, and have even called a few busts that were on a lot of top 5 lists.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gabe is a Guard only, I watched some bad tape on him, and I don't see him as being around in the scenarios going through my head. I see better value picking a G/T, or T/G prospect much later in the draft. I don't always agree with the experts on picks, but I have a pretty good track record for evaluating OL prospects, and have even called a few busts that were on a lot of top 5 lists.

He seems like the kind of road grader run blocker that would fit with the Rams desire to run the ball not sure about his pass blocking and that seemed to be a problem for our middle of the O line for the last couple of years before Saffold was moved to guard.

I'm interested to see what FA brings.

I heard the Rams were supposed to talk with Saffold's agent yesterday but nothing since

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Saffold deserves 4 million a year with incentives for health. If he plays 16 games it should jump to 6 million, IMO.

Barks is in the last year of his contract. If he puts up another season like last year then he's gonna get paid. Hopefully we can swing it.

Im glad they're smooth but are they road graders? That's my #1 trait of an OG.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He seems like the kind of road grader run blocker that would fit with the Rams desire to run the ball not sure about his pass blocking and that seemed to be a problem for our middle of the O line for the last couple of years before Saffold was moved to guard.

I'm interested to see what FA brings.

I heard the Rams were supposed to talk with Saffold's agent yesterday but nothing since
He's a slow footed plodder is what I'd call him, and I'm not a fan, especially where he is ranked. Too many other better options and value, but some may love him.

Both parties are interested Saffold and Rams, and Barksdale said that he felt like Saffold would be back. He really seemed to enjoy himself at guard, he showed a lot of passion, and even though he does get injured too much, he has been a true pro, and did everything we have asked him to do.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Saffold deserves 4 million a year with incentives for health. If he plays 16 games it should jump to 6 million, IMO.

Barks is in the last year of his contract. If he puts up another season like last year then he's gonna get paid. Hopefully we can swing it.

Im glad they're smooth but are they road graders? That's my #1 trait of an OG.
Yeah, they can block, or they wouldn't be on my list:)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Did I read over it or did you leave Zack Martin off the list?

Now I saw a tweet where Snead, himself, attended the Stanford vs. Notre Dame game. The GM doesn't attend a game unless it means something. That would be Yankey and Martin.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The edit button is gone. I meant to say like, and not kike, so I apologize for that. Please fix for me, mods, and delete this post. Thanks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Did I read over it or did you leave Zack Martin off the list?

Now I saw a tweet where Snead, himself, attended the Stanford vs. Notre Dame game. The GM doesn't attend a game unless it means something. That would be Yankey and Martin.
I have Zack Martin as a Tackle first, and then Guard, but he will be tough to get, unless we start figuring out wild trade scenarios, which I don't like to do. He's good, and I like him, but needs to add bulk and strength to play guard, he struggled at guard at the Senior Bowl. He's a late first rounder to me in this deep draft. He'd have been a middle rounder last year, IMO.

He's on my tackle list.

Last edited:

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Thanks for your analysis, as ever, Dr Ram.

I concur with your plan in general: re-sign Saffold; trade down, but not too far, for either Matthews or Robinson and then take Su'a-Filo or Yankey early in the second round, if they're available. Maybe add some more depth after round four.

Great read, as usual.

fearsomefour

Legend
I liked Sa'u-Filo early but watching him in games he seems to get off balance and while quick doesn't seem to do much with it.
Seems athletic enough but has some technical issues to me. I would take him just not as high as he is projected to go.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I liked Sa'u-Filo early but watching him in games he seems to get off balance and while quick doesn't seem to do much with it.
Seems athletic enough but has some technical issues to me. I would take him just not as high as he is projected to go.
Give him some Boudreau magic and he'd be one of the best guards in the league, in my opinion.

fearsomefour

Legend
Give him some Boudreau magic and he'd be one of the best guards in the league, in my opinion.
Could be. That is the hard part to project with the draft of course. These guys playing in major conferences are already playing in the top percentages of football. How much do they have left to grow?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I get the feeling that Snead will not draft any pure inside only OL'ers. They have a bunch of interior OL'ers in OC Wells, OC Barnes, OC/OG Jones, OG Washington & OG Persons under contract already. Snead's top two needs in replacing departed Ram UFA's Chris Williams who was a OT/OG & departed Saffold OT/OG. I differ from DR RAM I do not believe Saffold will be retained.

I am agreeing with DR RAM Rams will target one of those top OT's and then fallback & target David Yankey or Brandon Thomas.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Bump, because of activity in other thread.