DR RAM's Mock Draft Scenarios

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Re: 2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread

DR RAM said:
DR RAM's Mock Draft Scenario's
2/6/13

16 - Lane Johnson, OT Oklahoma. Flying up the boards because of his tape, athleticism, and play at the Senior Bowl. Probably more upside than any of the OT's in the draft, which is saying a lot, because there is a lot of skill at the top. After watching clips of him play, and his practices at the Senior Bowl, along with his game, Lane Johnson is a truly rare prospect. He makes plays at left tackle that Pro Bowler's can not make. He needs more strength and more experience, but he is a day one starter at left tackle if you need him there, and will be your starter for the next 12 years barring injury.

22 - Kawann Short, DT Purdue.
A 6' 3" 310 lbs player that can dominate. Very quick, very strong front line player that has a variety of moves. Seems to fit the taller type defensive lineman that Jeff Fisher likes. Absolutely dominated a couple highly touted beefy guards at the Senior Bowl. 33.5 TFL in his career, 4 blocked kicks, and 11 pass break up, because of his huge wingspan and awareness.

46 - Eddie Lacy, RB Alabama. Will be groomed to be the workhorse in a multi-back system for the Rams. Good balance, vision, and power. Needs to stay healthy, but a good all-around back to carry a heavy load. Runs tough with attitude. Remind you of anyone??
46 (alternate pick) Manti Teo, SLB Notre Dame. Teo's fake girlfriend and poor play in the National Championship game caused him to slip to us. Don't worry, we'll take some responsibility away from him, find him a REAL girlfriend, and just turn him loose on the strong side.

78 - Jonathan Cyprien, Bacarri Rambo, or Phillip Thomas. Cyprien is a tough kid from a smaller school who showed well against good competition at the Senior Bowl. He is a strong safety, but appears to have the athleticism est. 4.5 40 yd dash, and ball skills 4 int's his senior year, to be able to play both positions. Rambo is a playmaker who is very instinctual, and has excellent ball skills. I really like Thomas from Fresno State who's produced 20 turnovers in his 4 starting years.

110 - Tavarres King or Chris Harper WR's. The more that I see the wide receivers in this class, the more I like the depth and potential. I think one of these two guys will still be available and we could find a diamond here. Harper is a little more physical with slightly more height 6'1" compared to 6' and 230 lbs for Harper compared to 190 lbs. They will both run in the 4.4's.

142 - Nick Kasa, TE Colorado. At 6' 6" 270 lbs, a converted DE, who is still learning the position. A very good athlete, who is very strong. Very strong work ethic who will spend time after practice catching at least 100 balls. High upside, was productive at DE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 - Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State. A great big body that can stuff a gap or move in space. A very versatile tackle that can play three or four positions, as he did in college. Snead and Fisher love his size. I like the idea of having an absolutely dominating defensive front. Don't be surprised if the Rams grab a DT this talented if he's available.
16 - Sheldon Richardson, DT Missouri A physical freak. As a junior, he set career bests in 2012 with 75 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks. Richardson also had three forced fumbles, a blocked kick and a 60-yard fumble return. In a very short time, he would help make the Rams defensive line the very best in the NFL. Moved off the board.

22 - Kenny Vaccaro, FS Texas Simply, the best free safety in an extremely strong class of safeties. He is a born leader, that oozes athleticism. Good size, sure tackler. Will be an immediate starter at the safety position.

46 - Markus Wheaton, WR Oregon St. All-time leader in receptions at the school. Very twitchy, very quick, great hands, smooth route runner. Great sideline awareness. Very fast straight line, but also changes directions effortlessly. He will run a low 4.4, reportedly the second fasted player at the Senior Bowl. Not the biggest guy(5' 11" 190 lbs), reminds me of Rev. Bruce. Over 90 catches for over 1200 yards his senior season.

78 - Sio Moore, OLB Connecticut. Sio Moore is a very good football player. You can line him up wherever you want and he will make a play for you. He may be a little small to play at the SAM, but he could be a situational player at that position. He is very adept at rushing the passer, which would be a bonus in blitzing situations. He shined at the East West Shrine game, and then was invited to the Senior Bowl, where he showed well for himself.

110 - Chris Faulk, OT LSU. Faulk is a bit of a sleeper after missing the entire season with a knee injury, and the fact that he's only a junior, but his talent and size are undeniable. At 6' 6" 325 pounds, Faulk can be that powerful right tackle that we've been dreaming about, and he has the potential to be a starting left tackle with a little seasoning. Some think that he will fall farther, but his rare size and athleticism will get him picked around this spot.

142 - Michael Williams, TE Alabama. Massive tight end who is an extremely stout blocker. His hands are a little suspect, but he didn't get many opportunities at Alabama to make plays. During the game at the Senior Bowl, Williams made a nice catch in the middle of the field in traffic, using his big body to shield the ball from the secondary, and made a leaping touchdown catch in the end zone beating T.J. McDonald of USC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 - Ezekial Ansah, DE BYU. Think JPP in terms of athleticism, but he's faster. Still learning the game with very little experience, but showed in the Senior Bowl that he's coachable, and that he can dominate, as he had many tackles, numerous pressures, a sack, and a forced fumble.

22 - Alec Ogletree, OLB Georgia. He'd probably go even higher, but he was suspended 4 games last season for failing a drug test. Very fast and instinctual. He racked up 11 tackles, with 11.5 for loss. Plug him in and play him. Would solidify our linebacking corp.

46 - D.J. Fluker, OT Alabama. A perfect right tackle prospect. I don't think he projects very well to the left tackle, and that's why he'd be available here. He's a better run blocker than a pass protector.

78 - Jordan Hill, DT Penn St. Another defensive line prospect that played well at the Senior Bowl. Hill flashed quite a few times and made tackles from his d-line position. He remonds me of our own J. Cudjo.

110 - D. J. Swearinger, FS Connecticut. A versatile(played both safety positions), dependable player, who is a good open field tackler that displays toughness.

142 - Conner Vernon, WR Duke. All-time pass receiver for Duke. Was productive even as a freshman with over 700 yards receiving, and just got better. He has good size at 6' 2", and is projected to run 4.5. He's very crafty in how he sets up the defensive backs. Reminds me a little of Ricky Proehl. Was seen talking to Les Snead at the Senior Bowl during practice.
16 - Kenny Vacarro, FS Texas Simply, the best free safety in an extremely strong class of safeties. He is a born leader, that oozes athleticism. Good size, sure tackler. Will be an immediate starter at the safety position.

22 - Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State. A great big body that can stuff a gap or move in space. A very versatile tackle that can play three or four positions, as he did in college. Snead and Fisher love his size. I like the idea of having an absolutely dominating defensive front. Don't be surprised if the Rams grab a DT this talented if he's available.

46 - Datone Jones, DE/LB UCLA. The 6'4" 280 pound player may be a head scratcher to some here, but I love him. Datone recorded 19 tackles for loss his senior season. He has a non-stop motor, and I think he will prove at the combine that he has the skills to play some stand up backer, with one arm in the ground, or lining up on the inside on passing situations. He would only be picked if we let Hayes walk, but he will be better, and more versatile than Hayes. I expect Jones to run in the 4.7's which is quite a feat for a 280 pounder. Jones was the only player to beat Eric Fisher in the one on one drills at the Senior Bowl, and he did it in a variety of ways. Needs a little polish, but shiny already.

78 - Chris Faulk, OT LSU. Faulk is a bit of a sleeper after missing the entire season with a knee injury, and the fact that he's only a junior, but his talent and size are undeniable. At 6' 6" 325 pounds, Faulk can be that powerful right tackle that we've been dreaming about, and he has the potential to be a starting left tackle with a little seasoning. Some think that he will fall farther, but his rare size and athleticism will get him picked around this spot.
78 (alternate pick) Larry Warford, G Kentucky. Not very tall but extremely stout(340 pounds), Warford played his best against his top competition. He could be the guard that the Rams are looking for, and has the movement skills to excel in any system. On a goal line play at the Senior Bowl, Warford blocked down and decimated two very good defensive lineman to open up a huge hole.

110 -Travis Long, OLB WSU. A very good underrated player that can rush the passer. Runs very well for his size(6' 4" 245 lbs). Long has a great motor and is always around the ball. I see him as a SAM backer on the Rams, and he would be a very good value pick here. The Rams need to get better on the strong side.

142 - Mike Gillislee, RB Florida. Very productive, but for one year only = low mileage. Rushed for over a 1000 yards his senior season. He shows good burst and runs through holes. Looks like a natural at reading where the holes will be and gets the most out plays.

OK. I finished my scenarios, but I might mix and match some of these players. I might even roll all of this into one mock with different scenarios built in based on previous picks. I just had to get it all down first. I'm tired now. Keep in mind, this is pre team visits and pre combine.

Please feel free to comment. And let me know which one you like the best.

The doc is out...

I like the effort you guys put into these. It's a lot of work! Nice job!

I want the Rams to stick very closely to BPA, but I am skeptical we'd use a first rounder on a DT. It just feels like we have too many other needs and our dline is already young and heavily invested.

OT, WR, S, OLB... I got to believe we go BPA at these positions unless the gap in talent is to big.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

CGI_RAM wrote:
I want the Rams to stick very closely to BPA, but I am skeptical we'd use a first rounder on a DT. It just feels like we have too many other needs and our dline is already young and heavily invested.

OT, WR, S, OLB... I got to believe we go BPA at these positions unless the gap in talent is to big.

I'm starting to feel that this is how the draft will flow. I don't think there is a receiver worthy of a #16 or #22 pick. I think all of the good OT's: Joeckel, Johnson, and Fisher may be gone by the time we pick. Fluker is a reach in the middle first.

Using one of our first round picks on the best safety if he's available, I would do, because that's a need pick, but the draft is deep in safeties, so we be able to get better value in the second or third round. I don't see a great separation among 6 or 7 guys. Cyprien may end up being the best for example.

AT OLB, Jarvis Jones will probably go in the top 10, so is Alec Ogletree the next guy? Probably, but there are some issues/flags with him. We can't force this pick, IMO.

So, what's left? There are some talented DT's, CB's, and DE's which would be worthy of high picks. Would a guard be worthy? Not in my book. We'll see what happens. Once the Rams start inviting guys for visits, it's easier to get a glimpse of what they might do. I tried to fit needs in, but not at the expense of overvaluing guys to do it.

Every team knows what our needs are, and you nailed them, but we can't force another Jason Smith, etc. And besides our needs, the Rams need depth at DL, OL, LB, etc.

It's always a fun discussion.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

DR RAM said:
2/6/13

Good stuff man. So you don't see a chance of a WR in the 1st at all?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Username said:
DR RAM said:
2/6/13

Good stuff man. So you don't see a chance of a WR in the 1st at all?
I don't see anyone worthy, seriously. If anybody does, I'd like to see it. The only first round potential guy that I see at this point is Justin Hunter....but that is me. He is not rated by most as a mid first round guy. Patterson, by my estimation, is intriguing and very talented, but a very close prospect to Brian Quick in terms of route running. I like receivers in this class, but none in the first round where we pick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
2/6/13

16 - Lane Johnson, OT Oklahoma. Flying up the boards because of his tape, athleticism, and play at the Senior Bowl. Probably more upside than any of the OT's in the draft, which is saying a lot, because there is a lot of skill at the top. After watching clips of him play, and his practices at the Senior Bowl, along with his game, Lane Johnson is a truly rare prospect. He makes plays at left tackle that Pro Bowler's can not make. He needs more strength and more experience, but he is a day one starter at left tackle if you need him there, and will be your starter for the next 12 years barring injury.

22 - Kawann Short, DT Purdue.
A 6' 3" 310 lbs player that can dominate. Very quick, very strong front line player that has a variety of moves. Seems to fit the taller type defensive lineman that Jeff Fisher likes. Absolutely dominated a couple highly touted beefy guards at the Senior Bowl. 33.5 TFL in his career, 4 blocked kicks, and 11 pass break up, because of his huge wingspan and awareness.

46 - Eddie Lacy, RB Alabama. Will be groomed to be the workhorse in a multi-back system for the Rams. Good balance, vision, and power. Needs to stay healthy, but a good all-around back to carry a heavy load. Runs tough with attitude. Remind you of anyone??
46 (alternate pick) Manti Teo, SLB Notre Dame. Teo's fake girlfriend and poor play in the National Championship game caused him to slip to us. Don't worry, we'll take some responsibility away from him, find him a REAL girlfriend, and just turn him loose on the strong side.

78 - Jonathan Cyprien, Bacarri Rambo, or Phillip Thomas. Cyprien is a tough kid from a smaller school who showed well against good competition at the Senior Bowl. He is a strong safety, but appears to have the athleticism est. 4.5 40 yd dash, and ball skills 4 int's his senior year, to be able to play both positions. Rambo is a playmaker who is very instinctual, and has excellent ball skills. I really like Thomas from Fresno State who's produced 20 turnovers in his 4 starting years.

110 - Tavarres King or Chris Harper WR's. The more that I see the wide receivers in this class, the more I like the depth and potential. I think one of these two guys will still be available and we could find a diamond here. Harper is a little more physical with slightly more height 6'1" compared to 6' and 230 lbs for Harper compared to 190 lbs. They will both run in the 4.4's.

142 - Michael Williams, TE Alabama. Massive tight end who is an extremely stout blocker. His hands are a little suspect, but he didn't get many opportunities at Alabama to make plays. During the game at the Senior Bowl, Williams made a nice catch in the middle of the field in traffic, using his big body to shield the ball from the secondary, and made a leaping touchdown catch in the end zone beating T.J. McDonald of USC.
142 - Nick Kasa, TE Colorado.[/b] At 6' 6" 270 lbs, a converted DE, who is still learning the position. A very good athlete, who is very strong. Very strong work ethic who will spend time after practice catching at least 100 balls. High upside, was productive at DE. (removed from board - doc)

16 - Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State. A great big body that can stuff a gap or move in space. A very versatile tackle that can play three or four positions, as he did in college. Snead and Fisher love his size. I like the idea of having an absolutely dominating defensive front. Don't be surprised if the Rams grab a DT this talented if he's available.
16 - Sheldon Richardson, DT Missouri. A physical freak. As a junior, he set career bests in 2012 with 75 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks. Richardson also had three forced fumbles, a blocked kick and a 60-yard fumble return. In a very short time, he would help make the Rams defensive line the very best in the NFL. (removed from board - doc)

22 - Kenny Vaccaro, FS Texas Simply, the best free safety in an extremely strong class of safeties. He is a born leader, that oozes athleticism. Good size, sure tackler. Will be an immediate starter at the safety position.

46 - Markus Wheaton, WR Oregon St. All-time leader in receptions at the school. Very twitchy, very quick, great hands, smooth route runner. Great sideline awareness. Very fast straight line, but also changes directions effortlessly. He will run a low 4.4, reportedly the second fasted player at the Senior Bowl. Not the biggest guy(5' 11" 190 lbs), reminds me of Rev. Bruce. Over 90 catches for over 1200 yards his senior season.

78 - Sio Moore, OLB Connecticut. Sio Moore is a very good football player. You can line him up wherever you want and he will make a play for you. He may be a little small to play at the SAM, but he could be a situational player at that position. He is very adept at rushing the passer, which would be a bonus in blitzing situations. He shined at the East West Shrine game, and then was invited to the Senior Bowl, where he showed well for himself.

110 - Chris Faulk, OT LSU. Faulk is a bit of a sleeper after missing the entire season with a knee injury, and the fact that he's only a junior, but his talent and size are undeniable. At 6' 6" 325 pounds, Faulk can be that powerful right tackle that we've been dreaming about, and he has the potential to be a starting left tackle with a little seasoning. Some think that he will fall farther, but his rare size and athleticism will get him picked around this spot.

16 - Ezekial Ansah, DE BYU. Think JPP in terms of athleticism, but he's faster. Still learning the game with very little experience, but showed in the Senior Bowl that he's coachable, and that he can dominate, as he had many tackles, numerous pressures, a sack, and a forced fumble.

22 - Alec Ogletree, OLB Georgia. He'd probably go even higher, but he was suspended 4 games last season for failing a drug test. Very fast and instinctual. He racked up 11 tackles, with 11.5 for loss. Plug him in and play him. Would solidify our linebacking corp.

46 - D.J. Fluker, OT Alabama. A perfect right tackle prospect. I don't think he projects very well to the left tackle, and that's why he'd be available here. He's a better run blocker than a pass protector.

78 - Jordan Hill, DT Penn St. Another defensive line prospect that played well at the Senior Bowl. Hill flashed quite a few times and made tackles from his d-line position. He remonds me of our own J. Cudjo.

110 - D. J. Swearinger, FS Connecticut. A versatile(played both safety positions), dependable player, who is a good open field tackler that displays toughness.

142 - Conner Vernon, WR Duke. All-time pass receiver for Duke. Was productive even as a freshman with over 700 yards receiving, and just got better. He has good size at 6' 2", and is projected to run 4.5. He's very crafty in how he sets up the defensive backs. Reminds me a little of Ricky Proehl. Was seen talking to Les Snead at the Senior Bowl during practice.
16 - Kenny Vacarro, FS Texas Simply, the best free safety in an extremely strong class of safeties. He is a born leader, that oozes athleticism. Good size, sure tackler. Will be an immediate starter at the safety position.

22 - Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State. A great big body that can stuff a gap or move in space. A very versatile tackle that can play three or four positions, as he did in college. Snead and Fisher love his size. I like the idea of having an absolutely dominating defensive front. Don't be surprised if the Rams grab a DT this talented if he's available.

46 - Datone Jones, DE/LB UCLA. The 6'4" 280 pound player may be a head scratcher to some here, but I love him. Datone recorded 19 tackles for loss his senior season. He has a non-stop motor, and I think he will prove at the combine that he has the skills to play some stand up backer, with one arm in the ground, or lining up on the inside on passing situations. He would only be picked if we let Hayes walk, but he will be better, and more versatile than Hayes. I expect Jones to run in the 4.7's which is quite a feat for a 280 pounder. Jones was the only player to beat Eric Fisher in the one on one drills at the Senior Bowl, and he did it in a variety of ways. Needs a little polish, but shiny already.

78 - Chris Faulk, OT LSU. Faulk is a bit of a sleeper after missing the entire season with a knee injury, and the fact that he's only a junior, but his talent and size are undeniable. At 6' 6" 325 pounds, Faulk can be that powerful right tackle that we've been dreaming about, and he has the potential to be a starting left tackle with a little seasoning. Some think that he will fall farther, but his rare size and athleticism will get him picked around this spot.

78 (alternate pick) Larry Warford, G Kentucky. Not very tall but extremely stout(340 pounds), Warford played his best against his top competition. He could be the guard that the Rams are looking for, and has the movement skills to excel in any system. On a goal line play at the Senior Bowl, Warford blocked down and decimated two very good defensive lineman to open up a huge hole.

110 -Travis Long, OLB WSU. A very good underrated player that can rush the passer. Runs very well for his size(6' 4" 245 lbs). Long has a great motor and is always around the ball. I see him as a SAM backer on the Rams, and he would be a very good value pick here. The Rams need to get better on the strong side.

142 - Mike Gillislee, RB Florida. Very productive, but for one year only = low mileage. Rushed for over a 1000 yards his senior season. He shows good burst and runs through holes. Looks like a natural at reading where the holes will be and gets the most out plays.

OK. I finished my scenarios, but I might mix and match some of these players. I might even roll all of this into one mock with different scenarios built in based on previous picks. I just had to get it all down first. I'm tired now. Keep in mind, this is pre team visits and pre combine.

Please feel free to comment. And let me know which one you like the best.

The doc is out...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Doc... Thanks for the different scenarios. I thought of putting a Mock together, but don't need to 'cause this is really good stuff. As always, you do a great job! Keep it coming.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Really think they'll take another DT with a 1st round pick??? It just doesn't make sense money wise even with a rookie wage scale to put all that cash into 2 1st round DTs and a big contract FA.

And the more mocks I see going safety in the 1st, the less I think that will happen. Personally, I don't think any of the guys ppl have mocked (Vacarro, Warmack, Johnson, etc) aren't gonna be in STL this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
Really think they'll take another DT with a 1st round pick??? It just doesn't make sense money wise even with a rookie wage scale to put all that cash into 2 1st round DTs and a big contract FA.

And the more mocks I see going safety in the 1st, the less I think that will happen. Personally, I don't think any of the guys ppl have mocked (Vacarro, Warmack, Johnson, etc) aren't gonna be in STL this year.
I think it's a possibility depending on how the draft falls. We have a lot of needs still. I think that the rankings will change after the combine.

Someone good will fall to us, and I hope that it's one of the top OT's. The second round pick will be interesting, because there will be a lot of guys that we like available there, IMO. It might be the place to grab a safety, a wide receiver, or a tight end. I think those positions will carry the most value in round two at this point.

nighttrain

Legend
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

I think it's a possibility depending on how the draft falls. We have a lot of needs still. I think that the rankings will change after the combine.

Someone good will fall to us, and I hope that it's one of the top OT's. The second round pick will be interesting, because there will be a lot of guys that we like available there, IMO. It might be the place to grab a safety, a wide receiver, or a tight end. I think those positions will carry the most value in round two at this point.

u know your stuff Doc, thanks for the mocks, some very good players in them
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's very interesting. I like the first option the best probably. Although I'm not a big Nick Kasa fan. Liked the kid when he was getting recruited but I'm not sold he has the fluidity to really excel at TE. Seems like more of a straight-line athlete. Would prefer Michael Williams.

BadCompany

Rookie
Hey Doc,

I know you don't like to discuss trades in your mocks, because mocks are virtually impossible to predict in first place, but as a general, philosophical question for you and/or anyone else, do you think there is any chance that Snead will pull a 2012 and drop down with the first pick, to pick up a couple more later round picks? If everybody is a reach at 16 (at least at our highest need positions) wouldn't it make sense to drop down to the bottom of the first and pick up another pick or picks?

Personally, like a few others, I don't see WR as our biggest need. Not unless Amendola is going to be difficult in contract talks. Unless they saw something in Quick that makes them think they've made a horrible mistake with him, and with him, Amendola, Givins, and now Young I see the potential for a solid group there. But then what do I know, I still have faith in Austin Pettis. We have some good DTs, and at linebacker two out of three ain't bad (according to Meatloaf anyways). Sure, rounding out the three in the 4-3 is nice, but again, not in my humble opinion, our biggest need. Especially not if we're reaching at that spot in the first place.

As a former Boy Scout I like safety-first, and then offensive line. If nobody falls to us, and we're looking at okay, but not homerun picks at 16 and we can get a similar, value pick at 22, I'd be all in favor of dropping down from 16 for depth purposes.

But then the fate of franchise doesn't depend on my whims, so in Snead we trust!

Angry Ram

DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

I would not be a happy Ram if a DT was taken in the 1st.

It might be best to go with another posistion. I'm really like Alec Ogletree @ 22 if Fluker isn't there or w/ the 2nd round pick. I wonder if Keenan Allen could be a really good player.

That would be cool with Keenan, Alec Ogletree, DJ Fluker with the 1st 3 picks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 said:
It's very interesting. I like the first option the best probably. Although I'm not a big Nick Kasa fan. Liked the kid when he was getting recruited but I'm not sold he has the fluidity to really excel at TE. Seems like more of a straight-line athlete. Would prefer Michael Williams.
I like Michael Williams better too. I think he was very under used. He has potential to be a great blocker. His hands are the question mark, but he can improve those.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
MontrealRam said:
Hey Doc,

I know you don't like to discuss trades in your mocks, because mocks are virtually impossible to predict in first place, but as a general, philosophical question for you and/or anyone else, do you think there is any chance that Snead will pull a 2012 and drop down with the first pick, to pick up a couple more later round picks? If everybody is a reach at 16 (at least at our highest need positions) wouldn't it make sense to drop down to the bottom of the first and pick up another pick or picks?

Personally, like a few others, I don't see WR as our biggest need. Not unless Amendola is going to be difficult in contract talks. Unless they saw something in Quick that makes them think they've made a horrible mistake with him, and with him, Amendola, Givins, and now Young I see the potential for a solid group there. But then what do I know, I still have faith in Austin Pettis. We have some good DTs, and at linebacker two out of three ain't bad (according to Meatloaf anyways). Sure, rounding out the three in the 4-3 is nice, but again, not in my humble opinion, our biggest need. Especially not if we're reaching at that spot in the first place.

As a former Boy Scout I like safety-first, and then offensive line. If nobody falls to us, and we're looking at okay, but not homerun picks at 16 and we can get a similar, value pick at 22, I'd be all in favor of dropping down from 16 for depth purposes.

But then the fate of franchise doesn't depend on my whims, so in Snead we trust!
I'm sure that Snead is looking at trade downs for more picks. I wish we could pick up another 2nd somehow, or an early third. We finally have a GM willing to be flexible. Snead has many redundant plans in place, so there is no panic when our pick comes up.

I kind of share your view on WR's, except, I would like to see a solid free agent signed. If we can't get that done, I'd be game for drafting, but not in the first round unless the guy is a day one starter, and I don't see that player in this draft. I think Pettis is developing into a solid goal line threat. He is extremely quick for a tall receiver.

Regarding our safeties and linebackers. All it takes is one weak link on defense, and a smart coordinator will expose us. It happened many times last year. There's a reason that the same guys were responsible for giving up gaping bits of yards. It wasn't a coincidence.

Build the line and yards will come. We've already made great strides at building our lines, but they are not finished yet.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Good Mocks..............gives me something to think about.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just playing a little.

16 - Cordarelle Patterson, WR Tennessee The biggest (6' 3") and most athletically gifted receiver and return man in the draft. Can make anyone miss. Is a multidimensional player that you can line up all over the field. Can return kicks and punts. Eye popping talent on film. Was a JUCO transfer, so only played one year at major collegiate level. Over 18 yards averaged per play. Intangibles could be a possible concern--ability to learn plays. Don't know that for a fact, heard whispers, but the combine and background checks will tell all in that regard.

46 - Kyle Long, OT/OG Oregon. Brother of Chris, son of Howie, has developed a love for the game of football. Athletic freak, who was once a baseball pitcher with a mid 90's fastball. Limited football experience, but his strength, leverage, feet, and talent pop off the film.

78 - Jonathan Cyprien, Bacarri Rambo, or Phillip Thomas. Cyprien is a tough kid from a smaller school who showed well against good competition at the Senior Bowl. He is a strong safety, but appears to have the athleticism est. 4.5 40 yd dash, and ball skills 4 int's his senior year, to be able to play both positions. He may go in round 2. Rambo is a playmaker who is very instinctual, and has excellent ball skills. I really like Thomas from Fresno State who's produced 20 turnovers in his 4 starting years.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Just playing a little.

16 - Cordarelle Patterson, WR Tennessee The biggest (6' 3") and most athletically gifted receiver and return man in the draft. Can make anyone miss. Is a multidimensional player that you can line up all over the field. Can return kicks and punts. Eye popping talent on film. Was a JUCO transfer, so only played one year at major collegiate level. Over 18 yards averaged per play. Intangibles could be a possible concern--ability to learn plays. Don't know that for a fact, heard whispers, but the combine and background checks will tell all in that regard.

46 - Kyle Long, OT/OG Oregon. Brother of Chris, son of Howie, has developed a love for the game of football. Athletic freak, who was once a baseball pitcher with a mid 90's fastball. Limited football experience, but his strength, leverage, feet, and talent pop off the film.

78 - Jonathan Cyprien, Bacarri Rambo, or Phillip Thomas. Cyprien is a tough kid from a smaller school who showed well against good competition at the Senior Bowl. He is a strong safety, but appears to have the athleticism est. 4.5 40 yd dash, and ball skills 4 int's his senior year, to be able to play both positions. He may go in round 2. Rambo is a playmaker who is very instinctual, and has excellent ball skills. I really like Thomas from Fresno State who's produced 20 turnovers in his 4 starting years.

That would be a heck of a draft. I'm afraid that the safeties won't be there when we pick in the third. I also wonder if Cordarelle Patterson will be there at 16. In either case I would be quite pleased. Another DT I wonder a lot about is Sheldon Richardson. He plays the 3 tech and with him along with Brockers, Long, Quinn could make that the second coming of the fearsome foursome. I would like the Rams to go after another run stuffing DT (to rotate through and put in along with Brockers on obvious running situations), but in the later rounds, 5th-7th

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
Just playing a little.

That would be a heck of a draft. I'm afraid that the safeties won't be there when we pick in the third. I also wonder if Cordarelle Patterson will be there at 16. In either case I would be quite pleased. Another DT I wonder a lot about is Sheldon Richardson. He plays the 3 tech and with him along with Brockers, Long, Quinn could make that the second coming of the fearsome foursome. I would like the Rams to go after another run stuffing DT (to rotate through and put in along with Brockers on obvious running situations), but in the later rounds, 5th-7th

It's funny, three weeks ago almost everyone was saying that Cordarrelle was reach at #16...that's how the process goes. With a better resume, Patterson would be in the top 5. On talent alone, he's in the discussion for the top half of the first round.

This would be banking on other info around the league that one of these or a comparable safety, maybe even McDonald, would be available in the third round. I think one probably will. If not, in this scenario, I'd move up to get the one I wanted, or pick him in the second, and a guard or tackle in the third.

I keep saying it, because like a mantra, I keep hearing that Snead likes to "solve" positions. I, for one, won't be surprised if we go DT early based on draft strengths. Snead didn't eliminate it from his list of draftable positions, but he did distinguish between DE, and DL, with DE not being a need.

nighttrain

Legend
DR RAM said:
Just playing a little.

not enough bodies to the OL. what good are receivers if the pocket collapses. we have a proven Center and LT and ?...we need a safety and OLB on D, but everything else must me on the OL first..cant run thru a hole that's not there, or pass without protection.
train

Angry Ram

It's just depressing to think another 1st round DL pick and a DT at that. I'd rather see them look somewhere else...WR, OLB, S, OL...anything.