Downtown Rams Scouting Report: Ole Miss TE Evan Engram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_f4b23550f768433e8d6b26efbd87bfc6~mv2_d_1750_1261_s_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-Rams-Scouting-Report-Ole-Miss-TE-Evan-Engram

By: Adam Grego

Today I bring you Evan Engram, number 17, TE for Ole Miss. This is a guy I am very excited to write about, at 6-3 234 pounds Evan Engram may just be the most athletic TE to ever come out of college and I am not exaggerating folks. He ran a 4.42 (would've been a top 10 number for all WR's at the combine by the way) jumped 36 inches in the vertical and put up 19 reps on the bench. If you're looking for tools Engrams got them all.

After watching 3 of his games in 2016 against the top schools he went up against I came away very impressed. He is exactly what I expected him to be when I first started looking into him. Lets start with him as a receiver. Below I have a clip of him doing something I expect him to do consistently in the NFL.
70f2fe_180b525c06e14439bec7b6bded7f973a~mv2.gif

In the clip above Engram starts from the slot and runs a seam buster. He splits the linebacker and safety in their zones with his speed for an easy TD from Chad Kelly. These are the kinds of plays that the Gronkowski, Graham, and Antonio Gates of the world make every day in the NFL. It takes a freakishly athletic TE to execute it and Engram does it with ease.

Engram doesn't just beat safeties and linebackers though, he's got the speed to burn corners deep as well.
70f2fe_a647e17b3c2340df985bea7022aba7e4~mv2.gif

In this clip we see Engram in a 3 receiver set getting matched up with a corner, who happened to give him about a 15-yard cushion. Engram starts the route and in about 2 seconds flat eats the cushion up and starts to fly past the corner. If not for an under thrown pass from Kelly Engram catches this behind the corner and runs it in for an easy TD, regardless Engram still makes a great play on the ball for a deep contested catch.

I could show you clips like the above two of Engram all day flying by defenders for deep receptions and TD's but I will move on to address a major concern for many with Engram, that being his blocking.

Let's start out with a very unflattering first clip of his first block attempt in a game against Auburn. (unfortunately I only had to dive 3 seconds into this game to see him completely whiff on a block)
70f2fe_3db25eb024444fba967695ad4623103e~mv2.gif

As seen Engram fails to line up with his defender and punch his hands accurately into the defenders chest in order to execute a good block. In failing to target the chest he whiffs and the defender fly's by him to assist with making a stop. In the tape I watched I did see Engram more than you would like to see, missing on these types of blocks. Though to be clear, I feel VERY strongly that most of his blocking woes stem from a sever lack of technique. Too often he would initiate the block with his down making it impossible for him to accurately punch into his assignments chest. However when he did make contact and played with a solid base and good technique Engram was more than serviceable and I would even go as far as saying good as a blocker. The clip below he blocks a defensive end pushes him back a few yards and successfully creates a nice hole for the RB to run through.
70f2fe_364e248072834a318741392100efc07d~mv2.gif

All in all Evan Engram is a great TE prospect and leading the charge for the new age TE's being used in todays NFL. He can line up at any receiver spot, run a route out of the backfield, or from the traditional in line TE spot and be a mismatch with any and anyone who tries to cover him. Too fast for any linebacker and too big for any DB to cover Engram will be a nightmare. With some work I believe he can turn into a good blocker too. The power is there he just needs technique help, but lets be honest if you draft him it is to be a super star move tight end.

To conclude my report on Engram I would like to state that I would not be surprised if he is the first TE off the board. In my eyes Engram is the BEST tight end in this draft class, and yes I do remember that both OJ Howard and Njoku are also in this years class. Engram is phenomenal as a receiver in every way and will electrify the NFL once he steps on the field and with some work he will be a good blocker too. I can see him going any where from first TE off the board to falling to the early 2nd round it really just depends on what you value as a team, but for me, he is the best TE and will be the best TE in 5 years from this class. I would put money on that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great read....If he's there at 37...do we take him?

Blocking is about "want to"...You gotta want to put your body in the way...no matter how violent the opponent is...

I'd take him...but he's Higbee with more skills...so, if we're keeping Higbee, we need a similar talent at a later rounds.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blocking is about "want to"...You gotta want to put your body in the way...no matter how violent the opponent is...

I'd take him...but he's Higbee with more skills...so, if we're keeping Higbee, we need a similar talent at a later rounds.
Honestly, it's tough for me. I prefer Chris Godwin with Engram second. So I guess we will see. If the Rams pick between Godwin, Engram, Lamp (if he falls), Feeney, JuJu I am going in this order of priority: Godwin, Engram, Lamp, Feeney, JuJu. At this point even as a fan of JuJu and USC he just isn't the next best WR after Williams and Davis that is clearly Godwin IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the Rams pick between Godwin, Engram, Lamp (if he falls), Feeney, JuJu I am going in this order of priority: Godwin, Engram, Lamp, Feeney, JuJu. At this point even as a fan of JuJu and USC he just isn't the next best WR after Williams and Davis that is clearly Godwin IMO.
Offense, offense, offense. You young bucks
And the Los Angeles Rams, at 37 take
Tankersley or Jarrad Davis....LOLOL

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve

I am not saying we should or should not take Engrem with this pick....however if we do....its not Engram or Higbee.....its both together....I think if you do take him then you have two weapons at TE....on the field at the same time..... the Redskins used a lot of multiple te formations.... if I'm not mistaken. ....think about all the multiple te and wr packages the greatest show on turf ran.....heck in 1999 the rams had 4 TE'S that had receiving touchdowns....lol anyway...that's my take..... ;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

rams56

Name
Steve
227364_f4b23550f768433e8d6b26efbd87bfc6~mv2_d_1750_1261_s_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-Rams-Scouting-Report-Ole-Miss-TE-Evan-Engram

By: Adam Grego

Today I bring you Evan Engram, number 17, TE for Ole Miss. This is a guy I am very excited to write about, at 6-3 234 pounds Evan Engram may just be the most athletic TE to ever come out of college and I am not exaggerating folks. He ran a 4.42 (would've been a top 10 number for all WR's at the combine by the way) jumped 36 inches in the vertical and put up 19 reps on the bench. If you're looking for tools Engrams got them all.

After watching 3 of his games in 2016 against the top schools he went up against I came away very impressed. He is exactly what I expected him to be when I first started looking into him. Lets start with him as a receiver. Below I have a clip of him doing something I expect him to do consistently in the NFL.
70f2fe_180b525c06e14439bec7b6bded7f973a~mv2.gif

In the clip above Engram starts from the slot and runs a seam buster. He splits the linebacker and safety in their zones with his speed for an easy TD from Chad Kelly. These are the kinds of plays that the Gronkowski, Graham, and Antonio Gates of the world make every day in the NFL. It takes a freakishly athletic TE to execute it and Engram does it with ease.

Engram doesn't just beat safeties and linebackers though, he's got the speed to burn corners deep as well.
70f2fe_a647e17b3c2340df985bea7022aba7e4~mv2.gif

In this clip we see Engram in a 3 receiver set getting matched up with a corner, who happened to give him about a 15-yard cushion. Engram starts the route and in about 2 seconds flat eats the cushion up and starts to fly past the corner. If not for an under thrown pass from Kelly Engram catches this behind the corner and runs it in for an easy TD, regardless Engram still makes a great play on the ball for a deep contested catch.

I could show you clips like the above two of Engram all day flying by defenders for deep receptions and TD's but I will move on to address a major concern for many with Engram, that being his blocking.

Let's start out with a very unflattering first clip of his first block attempt in a game against Auburn. (unfortunately I only had to dive 3 seconds into this game to see him completely whiff on a block)
70f2fe_3db25eb024444fba967695ad4623103e~mv2.gif

As seen Engram fails to line up with his defender and punch his hands accurately into the defenders chest in order to execute a good block. In failing to target the chest he whiffs and the defender fly's by him to assist with making a stop. In the tape I watched I did see Engram more than you would like to see, missing on these types of blocks. Though to be clear, I feel VERY strongly that most of his blocking woes stem from a sever lack of technique. Too often he would initiate the block with his down making it impossible for him to accurately punch into his assignments chest. However when he did make contact and played with a solid base and good technique Engram was more than serviceable and I would even go as far as saying good as a blocker. The clip below he blocks a defensive end pushes him back a few yards and successfully creates a nice hole for the RB to run through.
70f2fe_364e248072834a318741392100efc07d~mv2.gif

All in all Evan Engram is a great TE prospect and leading the charge for the new age TE's being used in todays NFL. He can line up at any receiver spot, run a route out of the backfield, or from the traditional in line TE spot and be a mismatch with any and anyone who tries to cover him. Too fast for any linebacker and too big for any DB to cover Engram will be a nightmare. With some work I believe he can turn into a good blocker too. The power is there he just needs technique help, but lets be honest if you draft him it is to be a super star move tight end.

To conclude my report on Engram I would like to state that I would not be surprised if he is the first TE off the board. In my eyes Engram is the BEST tight end in this draft class, and yes I do remember that both OJ Howard and Njoku are also in this years class. Engram is phenomenal as a receiver in every way and will electrify the NFL once he steps on the field and with some work he will be a good blocker too. I can see him going any where from first TE off the board to falling to the early 2nd round it really just depends on what you value as a team, but for me, he is the best TE and will be the best TE in 5 years from this class. I would put money on that.

Another great job of scouting and break down.......my Rams brother.... @ jakebogen95!!!!

Go Rams....... ;)

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Offense, offense, offense. You young bucks
And the Los Angeles Rams, at 37 take
Tankersley or Jarrad Davis....LOLOL
Per my sources the Downtown Rams teams maybe coming out with a Jarrad Davis scouting report. ;)

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Another great job of scouting and break down.......my Rams brother.... @ jakebogen95!!!!

Go Rams....... ;)
Hey man thanks for reading. My cousin who writes for Downtown Rams actually wrote this I just posted it cause I love the ROD community.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
however if we do....its not Engram or Higbee.....its both together.
So, who blocks? I'm not against Engram....I just don't know what role would Higbee play if we acquire a player that obviously should get the majority of the targets.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
So, who blocks? I'm not against Engram....I just don't know what role would Higbee play if we acquire a player that obviously should get the majority of the targets.
George Kittle :D

rams56

Name
Steve

I don't claim to know the answer to that @LACHAMP46.....but I believe if they draft him it's because they know how to use both. Does anyone have insight on this subject?.... who blocked when the redskins ran multiple TE'S and Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed on the field at the same time? Sorry I don't know....;)

Go Rams........ ;)

Ram65

Legend

I get your point. I think Higbee would be more advance as an inline blocker.

Would Engram be your typical TE or a glorified WR if McVay takes him?

Could they both be on the field at the same time?

rams56

Name
Steve
So I am using my brother as a source... so please keep that in mind when you determine how much stock to put on my analysis. ... but he may be biased as a fan also....he is a huge Redskins fans and loves they're offense and especially the tight ends.... so they used Vernon Davis as a end of the line blocker and Jordan Reed as the motion TE in running downs..... he said Davis is a high effort blocker but lacks strength at the point of attack. Reed is not as good of a blocker but tries hard. But they run from stack TE'S tight, Stacked TE'S wide, a TE on each side, tight or split out. As well as from 3 wrs wide. So take this for what you will....I tried..... ;)

Go Rams...... .. ;)

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean

Engram can play with Higbee in a two TE set. In addition, he can play in the slot and even play outside. This guy can do it all and I wouldn't be all that surprised if we put him out wide quite a bit.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Engram can play with Higbee in a two TE set. In addition, he can play in the slot and even play outside. This guy can do it all and I wouldn't be all that surprised if we put him out wide quite a bit.
Hey! I know you! Haha