Downtown Rams Scouting Report: Miami CB Corn Elder

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Downtown Rams Scouting Report: Miami CB Corn Elder
70f2fe_03ad0bb928f44868aa3b5d3682f508f0~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...le-University-of-Miami-Corner-Back-Corn-Elder

By: Adam Grego

Meet my favorite DB in this entire draft class, Corn Elder from the University of Miami is a joy to watch. He did it all for the canes - Special teams, return man, nickel/outside corner, blitzer and run support extraordinaire. Corn Elder aside from having a great name, represented himself well at Miami's pro day. Measuring in at 5'10 185 pounds, running a 4.42, and jumping 35 inches.

Corn finished his 2016 campaign with 76 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 int and 12 pass breakups. Very impressive numbers that demonstrate his tenacity as a tackler and ability as a zone corner. My favorite part of his game is the nature in which he plays the position. Elder attacks, he processes information very quickly and reacts without hesitation. He supports the run with more passion than any corner in this entire draft class that I have watched so far. The gif below demonstrates his tenacity when attacking the ball carrier.
70f2fe_229f9302aadf4dc08dd9cd82ff6885ca~mv2.gif

He reads it is a run and immediately sprints towards the line of scrimmage to make a stop on Dalvin Cook (the consensus No.2 running back in this year's draft) for about a 1 yard gain. This is the kind of attitude you love to see a corner play with. No hesitation to stick his face in the run game and quick to realize that he needs to abandon his zone responsibilities.

The next gif is my favorite clip of him I found through the 3 games of his I watched. The play is designed for him to drop into a zone flat route, Corn realizes that as the play develops his zone remains uninhabited. He then notices an out route developing about 7-8 yards behind him so he breaks off his zone flips back and makes a diving attempt to break up a pass.
70f2fe_21633bcd32ca401493413152052bad75~mv2.gif

This play shows the athletic ability and football IQ that has me drooling over a guy like Corn Elder. I promise you folks, you do not see plays made like this every day this is NFL type play recognition and recovery speed.

Lastly I would like to show a play where Corn again demonstrates how quick he is to diagnose plays and without hesitation click and close on a ball carrier.
70f2fe_0b2d4577509b4b9197524228773d8063~mv2.gif

From the get go in the above play Corn realizes this is a designed bubble screen to his side of the field. Before the WR he is responsible for covering even realizes the play has started, Corn Elder flies into the backfield to make a tackle for loss against one of the shiftier players in this years draft Ryan Switzer.

To summarize Corn Elder is a great player, he's smart, quick, decisive and can tackle. My only hesitation's with him are the fact that it was nearly impossible to find any tape on him playing man coverage so it is up in the air as to how he will perform in a man scheme and also he never showed to be much of a ball hawk in his career. Though if I had to guess I would say his skillset could definitely allow him to play well in a man scheme if he worked on his footwork and punch off the line of scrimmage. Overall I expect Corn Elder to be a round 3 pick and be one of the top 3 zone corners to come out of this draft. I like him that much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd move Elder to FS if I drafted him for a team that primarily plays man coverage. Elder is a pure zone CB imo. He is a tick late reacting when playing man coverage. It means that the WR typically builds separation out of the break, and Elder is only there in time to make the tackle.

He's a tough, physical kid with good athleticism. He'll tackle and attack the LOS. He has good recognition skills and range in zone coverage. But he lacks the recognition skills and anticipation in man coverage.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Looks like a slot corner to me....but a fine player. Didn't know he didn't play man to man at Miami? I thought that's all they did out there in south beach...

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd move Elder to FS if I drafted him for a team that primarily plays man coverage. Elder is a pure zone CB imo. He is a tick late reacting when playing man coverage. It means that the WR typically builds separation out of the break, and Elder is only there in time to make the tackle.

He's a tough, physical kid with good athleticism. He'll tackle and attack the LOS. He has good recognition skills and range in zone coverage. But he lacks the recognition skills and anticipation in man coverage.
I don't know if he lacks the anticipation. Like in the clip he's playing in zone coverage and he turns around to make the big pass breakup

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if he lacks the anticipation. Like in the clip he's playing in zone coverage and he turns around to make the big pass breakup

I've watched his man coverage film. He lacks the anticipation. He's always a tick late reacting to the WR's break. You watch the top man CBs in this draft and they smother the WR. Elder doesn't do that. He's a much better player with his eyes to the QB.