Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Bowie State CB Kristian Wilson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Bowie State CB Kristian Wilson
227364_7a44d4c1a00d495d8b19124aa6fe950e~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...-Draft-Profile-Bowie-State-CB-Kristian-Wilson

Our new massive series here at Downtown Rams will give you players that catch our eye. We will bring you bring you draft prospects, see where their fit is with the Rams and of course give you a player comparison.
Who is the 5-foot-10 and 180 pound CB Kristian Wilson?
I actually like this young kid a lot out of Bowie State. I really like guys with the ability to be fearless at the cornerback position and that's really what you see in Wilson. He has ideal size to play nickel cornerback in the NFL and the feisty demeanor to start on the outside someday if he works hard enough. He's a small school guy that will be overlooked by the confines in the tape or the competition but he clearly stands out as the fastest player and most impressive on his tape.

Strengths
Quick and twitchy which could translate well as an NFL nickel corner
Great speed
Doesn't give up on plays
Instinctive and makes adjustments to his instincts
Can be a play maker with or without the ball
Plays both off the WR and on him
Recovery speed is solid
Shows good footwork and technique
Limited pass rushing ability is a plus

Weaknesses
Competition is lacking
Tackling needs to be a little more refined
Size may limit his options at the next level
Can get grabby at times
Tackling can be inconsistent

How does he fit with the Rams?
The Rams franchise tagged Trumaine Johnson but that doesn't mean they don't need cornerbacks. Now, just like small-school guy Daquan Holmes I am not calling this guy an immediate starter. There is a ton of work to be done. The Rams do find late round steals or even undrafted steals, so same with Holmes I expect Wilson to be a borderline draft pick that works his way onto a team as a special teams workhorse. The ride could be long and hard but it could pay off down the road. The Rams currently have LaMarcus Joyner at nickel but that could change sometime soon and if that is the case an opportunity would left for a kid like Wilson to insert himself into the lineup.

Draft Grade
7th round-UDFA

Player Comparison
Nevin Lawson
227364_533760ccda864a3f937118c60a2f35ec~mv2.webp

I really like this comparison and I think Kristian might too. Nevin Lawson is the same type of build as Wilson, similar type of play style and similar type of draft grades. Lawson was thought of as a reach by the Lions in the fourth round after many said he was a seventh rounder or undrafted free agent. Nevin Lawson has carved out quite the roll in the NFL and Pro Football Focus rated him the 38th best overall cornerback in 2016. Lawson showed more ability as a pass rusher and had played against better competition but besides that Wilson and him do the same thing. Wilson could be a feisty and nasty nickel down the road bit with Lawson playing on the outside across from one of the league's best in Darius Slay, Wilson certainly has a chance to be doing the same thing at some point in his career.

Last edited:
Great article on him. He is a stud athlete who I believe can catch punts to show off his speed and also to be a force at the dime/nickel position on defense similar to Joyner.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great article on him. He is a stud athlete who I believe can catch punts to show off his speed and also to be a force at the dime/nickel position on defense similar to Joyner.
Thank you I appreciate that. Yeah I like him, we will see if he gets drafted or not. Good thing is he is getting some exposure and another thing is Bowie State has put players in the league before it's nothing new. He has a chance.