Double-edged sword

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Sluggish? No
Sloppy? Yes.
The only thing that frustrates me is seeing other teams with turnover and injuries (Arizona as a prime example) excel.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As it looks right now in year 3 of the Fisher era, we will be finishing .500 to sub .500 with a team that he has built himself from the ground up.

Maybe they turn it around, starting next Monday.

But it sure looks like a tall order.

Frankly, I'm a bit scared about how this year could turn out.

…..

Legend
I can, Pettis' hands are usually rock solid, nobody has any reason to believe that he couldn't be counted on in those routes. Why would we feel the need to replace him, especially with somebody several weeks behind the team?

I didnt like Pettis's body language. He never would have been in there for the second drop, although the 2nd drop was more of an almost unbelievable catch than a pure drop.

Speeps

Starter
So I watched the game again (ffw, rew, ffw, rew) and it occurred to me that there were just a few (5 or 6) plays that really attributed to the outcome of the game yesterday. Some mistakes, some penalties, and a few lapses in execution. Hell, the first two throws of the game were just a little off, but the plays were there for the taking. So all of the lamenting about the script to start the game is a little off-base to me. Had execution been on point, there would be no issues. If the false-starts didn't put us in bad down-n-go situations, then the game plan wouldn't have had to be adjusted. If pass-blocking was on point, then some of those throws wouldn't have had to be rushed. And if the turnovers that resulted in Eagles' points didn't take place, then the game plan wouldn't have had to be abandoned.

What's my point? Going into the third quarter, there was a ton of calls for Fisher's head yesterday. The team isn't prepared, they're sloppy, undisciplined, can't compete, and that's all on him. By the end of the game that kinda talk dissipated, but that's beside the point. Here's my question. What can he do? Does anyone honestly believe that they don't coach execution, preparedness and discipline all year long? And the follow-up question ... what's his recourse when things break down during the game? Replace all of the offenders? Well, okay then. Say he does that. Bench Kendricks, bench Armstrong, bench Daniels, bench Jake Long, Bench Cook (for his drop), Bench Wells, and play all of their substitutes. Now you have a weaker team.

Should he play with a weaker team to satisfy the masses? And what if he does that and they lose because of it?

Double-edged sword.

It may be cliche', but really all they can do is work on the problems. You can bench a repeat offender, like he said he was gonna do, but at some point the players have to hold themselves (and each other) accountable. Because none of them are ignorant to what constitutes a penalty. And all of them are being taught/coached to avoid them. I just don't see how it can ALL fall on Fisher when the game-plan going in is to execute and play smart football after weeks of preparation to do just that.
I agree with this post, but the fact of the matter is, we didn't execute those 5 or 6 plays. Football is a game of wins or losses. Fact is, Rams were not good enough to win yesterday. If Fisher loses his job, it wouldn't be because Kroenke was evaluating 5 or 6 plays, it will be because of his wins or losses. But, you do make a really good point.

As far as the benching goes, all you have to do is bench one guy and it sends a message. Actually, Bill Parcells would cut a guy to send a message. And it isn't to satisfy the masses, it's to send a message to your team that poor performances won't be tolerated. Think about it, members of this team are taking turns making mistakes. I'm not saying the coaching staff coaches mistakes, but I do believe that perhaps they tolerate it (I could be entirely wrong). These players make the same mistakes over and over again. If you're not coaching it, you're allowing it. Keeping Ray Ray (for example) in the game is allowing it. Bench him, and send a message. Fisher may not be able to bench everyone, it's impractical, but if he draws a line somewhere, he will be heard very loudly.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is a moot point. Davis is playing like a number one, and there is nothing at the QB position that's holding us back.

Penalties, and consistency on defense are our problems at the moment. This is half on the coaching staff and half on the players. It's on the coaches because we should have year after year of leading the league in penalties. Fisher is just lazy on this part of the game. IMO, Fisher doesn't care about penalties, or doesn't feel it's a big enough problem to really clean it up.

Chris I thought the defense played pretty well. They shut down two red zone drives early on which kept the game within reach, it would have been an early blowout without those. Also they only gave up 20 points, which should be good enough to win most of the time.

The blocked punt was the difference. Free points. Yeah I know the strip and recovery for a TD was shitty but defensive scores are far more common that ST scores. So that was the difference.

If we look at how our D played their O and how our O played their D the Rams had the edge.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Chris I thought the defense played pretty well. They shut down two red zone drives early on which kept the game within reach, it would have been an early blowout without those. Also they only gave up 20 points, which should be good enough to win most of the time.

The blocked punt was the difference. Free points. Yeah I know the strip and recovery for a TD was crappy but defensive scores are far more common that ST scores. So that was the difference.

If we look at how our D played their O and how our O played their D the Rams had the edge.

I agree with your post, but I think the consistency is missing. We limit these RBs for most of a game, but then we get gashed for a larger gainer. It was better against PHI, and hopefully they are figuring it out.

For Pass D, I'd love to see Joyner at FS when Tru comes back, and slide Gaines down to nickle. My patience is wearing thin on Rodney, and Joyner is a more talented version of McCleod.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, we need a couple of solid veterans with a stellar locker room presence. They don't have to be pro bowl players, but have good leadership qualities. The vets he has brought in have been lousy role models. Guys like Finnegan and Cook have not provided the veteran leadership that we need.

Speeps

Starter
IMO, we need a couple of solid veterans with a stellar locker room presence. They don't have to be pro bowl players, but have good leadership qualities. The vets he has brought in have been lousy role models. Guys like Finnegan and Cook have not provided the veteran leadership that we need.
I think you're right here. They need someone to help show them how to be professionals and the tricks of the game.

ViperLjs

Rookie
Why is it that the same teams seem to be good, year in and year out? Coaching is hugely important in the NFL, and it shows. Fisher is very experienced, yes, but his career record is pretty average.

His teams are among the leaders in penalties almost every year; that is 100% a reflection of his coaching style.

In year 3 here, this team is a reflection of his vision more than anything else, and if the players aren't performing, its on him, because he selected those players and coached them. If they keep making the same mistakes over and over again, its on him.

Fisher has had the advantage of more draft capital than any team in the league during his tenure...this team should be a juggernaut at this point.

How long do we keep making excuses? 4 years? 5? 6? At some point, the excuses have to stop and the winning needs to start.

Last edited:

Bildeaux

UDFA
I am of the opinion that this team's major malady is it is immature. Most teams that rebuild have a central core of good veterans, even if just a few, that can raise the rookies football IQ. The team Fisher inherited had almost nothing in that regard. People like Chris Long and JL were able to figure it out themselves, but we completely blew up our previous championship teams before they had a chance to propagate.

Case in point (in my best Rod Serling voice): the Britt/Quick connection. Some of this is him entering his 3rd year, and some of this is getting input from Britt, but the remarkable turnaround of Quick is sort of a head shaker. As a Rams fan, I ALWAYS have high hopes for players, but in this case, I felt Quick disappeared and I am nothing but elated that he looks like a freaking "achiever".

If these guys can figure out how to avoid those 3-4 mind-numbingly crucifying mistakes, we can beat anybody.

Oh - I think we (and Quinn) miss Chris Long a lot more than we might have thought.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
8ZYNp.gif

fancents86

Starter
I just keep it basic.
1. Do we have the talent?
I don't think anyone is disappointed with our draft picks and free agency moves. Except jake long for me.

2. Are these other teams REALLY better than us ?
With as many first rd picks as we've had, if we are worse than we have a major problem . Yet I don't see that as the problem since I'm very happy with our teams talent.

So if we have the talent, where's the weakest link ? It's gotta be the coaching. Fisher has penalty problems wherever he goes, so I'm calling bs that he actually cares about fixing the issue. Or it's at least on the bottom of his list.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I just keep it basic.
1. Do we have the talent?
I don't think anyone is disappointed with our draft picks and free agency moves. Except jake long for me.

2. Are these other teams REALLY better than us ?
With as many first rd picks as we've had, if we are worse than we have a major problem . Yet I don't see that as the problem since I'm very happy with our teams talent.

So if we have the talent, where's the weakest link ? It's gotta be the coaching. Fisher has penalty problems wherever he goes, so I'm calling bs that he actually cares about fixing the issue. Or it's at least on the bottom of his list.
Why are we seeing the same problems consistently? Where else could it arise other than coaching? I agree.

Penguin.

Rookie
We need Wells and Joseph out of the line. Enter Barnes and Robinson. Both are more athletic, and seem to not commit as many stupid mistakes judging from the preseason.

Wells did great with that protection calling yesterday, am I right? It isn't like Davis almost left the field in a body bag. I saw, on more than two occasions, free defenders coming at Davis. That is not acceptable at all.

I don't know why the defense isn't getting sacks. Like, this is embarrassing. I have not witnessed a sack drought like this in some time.

Through 4 games I'd say out biggest issues are D and OL both are Fisher's creations, you can blame the last staff, but they aren't the ones who changed their DC every year Fisher's been here, they aren't the ones who spent big money on Jake Long and Scott Wells they aren't the ones who drafted someone second overall only to have him beaten out by a weak link.

I said prior to the season if we can't atleast break even this year then Fisher should be gone. 4 games in I see nothing that has changed my mind on that stance.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Through 4 games I'd say out biggest issues are D and OL both are Fisher's creations, you can blame the last staff, but they aren't the ones who changed their DC every year Fisher's been here, they aren't the ones who spent big money on Jake Long and Scott Wells they aren't the ones who drafted someone second overall only to have him beaten out by a weak link.

I said prior to the season if we can't atleast break even this year then Fisher should be gone. 4 games in I see nothing that has changed my mind on that stance.
And you said that in full knowledge that Bradford was hurt, AD is doing well but I still believe with the emergence of Quick and Britt, Sam would be doing better and we'd be 2-2 minimum or 3-1.
I'm sure Sam would have outperformed Hills first half against Minnesota and Davis second half .
As far as the DC changes ,it wasn't by choice and has nothing to do with a decision thereby and in view of the fact that Williams is NOW the DC it represents really one choice and a stop gap till Fisher could get his guy,not casting about at all.
I'm a little disappointed in Williams defense so far but can't buy into the idea that the DC changes are an issue as far as Fisher is concerned , if I question a decision there it's one not three.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Youngest team in league
Roster turnover from 2011 has to be close to 90%
3rd DC in 3 years
4th QB in 4 years
2013 Leading reciever in 2nd season with team
2014 Leading receiver in 3rd season and 1st as starter
Core veterans? C Long (hurt), Bradford (Hurt), Laurenitis (Hurt all pre season) Saffold? Left via FA only to return...
Compare to other teams, there are a handful of core veterans to provide leadership and/or coaching staff consistancy
The Rams remind me of a college football team that loses seniors every year, and replaces them with highly touted Freshman/Sophomores. Hard to be consistent.
And despite the lousy record, they are still the most enjoyable team to watch in the last 8 years or so

Penguin.

Rookie
This "youngest team in the league" excuse is getting old. How old do you have to be to learn to go on a certain count? How old do you have to be to watch the snap of the ball? I did that crap in fifth and sixth grade perfectly fine, and was not making millions.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
This "youngest team in the league" excuse is getting old. How old do you have to be to learn to go on a certain count? How old do you have to be to watch the snap of the ball? I did that crap in fifth and sixth grade perfectly fine, and was not making millions.
Have to agree inasmuch as they need to block on punts and not leave a opening a truck could drive through! Really! Right up the middle! :mad: