Double Coverage: QB Shaun Hill/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Double Coverage: QB Shaun Hill
By Nick Wagoner and Michael Rothstein

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7082/double-coverage-qb-shaun-hill

The St. Louis Rams found their replacement for Kellen Clemens on Wednesday, agreeing to a one-year deal with Shaun Hill to become the team's backup quarterback behind Sam Bradford.

While Hill doesn't have the same knowledge of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense that Clemens did, he brings plenty of experience and a solid record of production as a backup.

ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner and Detroit Lions reporter Michael Rothstein discuss what Hill brings to the table in St. Louis.

Wagoner: The Rams actually began pursuing Hill in 2012 and were unable to get him signed when he opted to return to the Lions for a more lucrative, two-year deal. Although it might have flown beneath the radar, Hill had some success in Detroit. Did the Lions want him back and how much effort did they put into keeping him?

Rothstein: The Lions definitely had interest in retaining Hill, as the Lions consider him one of the top backups in the NFL. He also has a comfort with starter Matthew Stafford and has won games for the team in the past. But the one thing Detroit could not offer Hill is a chance to be any sort of starter, as the Lions hired head coach Jim Caldwell, offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and quarterbacks coach Jim Bob Cooter simply to help develop Stafford into an elite starter. St. Louis is closer to Hill’s offseason home and gives him a chance to potentially start, so that might have been the reason for his move there.

Wagoner: Interesting that you point to the potential to start, though I suppose that could be as simple as waiting and wondering about Bradford's health. Given his track record, it's fair to wonder if health is going to be an issue for Bradford again in 2014 and Hill is a logical choice to play in his place, especially if it happens early in the season. For what it's worth, I believe the Rams still will look to add a quarterback in the draft, probably sometime in the middle rounds. That's been the plan all along and now Hill can help bring whoever that draft pick is along.

As for Hill, what are some of the things he does well and what are some of his weaknesses?

Rothstein: Let’s start with the negatives. Hill doesn’t have the strongest arm and he doesn’t have all that much mobility. But he is a smart quarterback and he won’t lose games for you off the bench, either. He is a good game manager and can make a lot of the short-to-intermediate throws. He hasn’t had to do much of that the past few years thanks to Stafford’s durability, so it would be interesting to see where his skills are now if he were placed in a regular-season game situation. Hill was also a good mentor to Stafford, and he could be the same for Bradford.

Wagoner: I'm glad you touched on that, Michael. A big part of what Hill will do in St. Louis is replace the leadership void left by Clemens. He might not have been a guy you'd want starting games, but Clemens' leadership for a young offense was really valuable. He was instrumental in helping Bradford and he was also really helpful for the team's young receivers and backs.

Although Bradford should be far enough along in his development where he is a leader, what type of locker room presence is Hill and how can he help a potential drafted rookie?

Rothstein: Going back to what I mentioned earlier, he proved a good mentor for Stafford and is extremely easy to get along with. He has a dry sense of humor but understands how to prepare as a starter and how to be a backup quarterback, so he has worked in either role. He can absolutely be a leader if need be and should be able to fill that void. It was a smart signing by the Rams and the Lions definitely would have liked to have him back in Detroit if the money and situation were right. Hill is a consummate pro and should be able to help in the development of any rookie.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Freak you Rothstein and the Detroit press! Stafford has missed 19 games in 5 years in the league and Bradford 13 games in 4 years. Who the heck is he to question Sam's durability?!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is Shaun Hill an upgrade over Kellen Clemens? Mike Young tells us that he is. He says he has a stronger arm. Plus, the Rams will be able to keep more of their offense intact with Hill if Bradford is injured again. With Bradford coming off the injury, Hill will get a lot of reps in training camp and the preseason. That will help him get used to the offense and the WR’s. They also talk about Johnny Manziel. D’Marco Farr compares Manziel to Jeff Garcia. They also talk about all the new rule changes.

Listen to Young Talk Hill and Clemens + More

nighttrain

Legend
If youve watched both play there is no question Hill is more skilled.
I'm very happy with new backup QB, I think if needed he gives us a better chance to win than Clemens. Hill is a lot more mobile than given credit for being, Arm is good enough, and he has the smarts.
train
PS still I want a QB that can be developed in draft, Savage I like, and heard good things from OP about Murray. just don't draft a QB in 7th round, or UDFA and expect the fans to like it

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm very happy with new backup QB, I think if needed he gives us a better chance to win than Clemens. Hill is a lot more mobile than given credit for being, Arm is good enough, and he has the smarts.
train
PS still I want a QB that can be developed in draft, Savage I like, and heard good things from OP about Murray. just don't draft a QB in 7th round, or UDFA and expect the fans to like it
I think the key thing with Hill is the smarts....which is not to say Kellen isent football smart. Hill is a good, solid, vet pocket passer.
Great addition in my book.
I also want to add a rookie to develop. I would target 4th round or later but that's just me.