Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Stage One was the acquisition of Goff. We've all read about and studied that move. Finally a premier QB for the Rams. 'Nuff said.

But I believe that Stage Two was a brilliantly executed strategy. How to best surround the new QB with weapons that fit his skill set? Enter Higbee, Cooper, and Thomas (I'm excluding Hemingway for now until he proves himself).

Stage Three was adding more WR's via UDFA.

So, what does my crystal ball show me now?

I see a QB that will rapidly absorb the playbook and quickly master his drops from under C. A smart QB that knows that he must perfect his play action moves, too. A QB that's capable of getting the ball out in 2 seconds or so. A QB that throws catchable passes to receivers that are just breaking open.

I see a TE in Higbee that will be a nightmare to defend. A 6' 6" strong, fast, TE with the wingspan of a Condor that can outleap and outmuscle defenders all game long while catching quickly thrown and accurate pass after pass. The anti Cook.

I see a collection of WR's that seem to be ideal complements to Goff's skill set. Quick, good hands (except maybe Thomas), RAC chain movers. An amazing matchup corps, considering they were targeted and selected in the 4th and 6th rounds of the draft. When S&F decide to flood a position group, they tend to walk away with both starters and producers, don't they? I give you CB, LB, DL, and OL as previous successes in recent drafts.

I see a healthy Gurley running left, right, and up the middle when he's not catching deadly screen passes this year. A RB that will see more openings because the D now is forced to respect the passing threat. Another nightmare to defend.

I see an OL growing together and continuing to improve each game.

I see a balanced O attack that any D must respect. An O that should be middle of the pack this year at the very least. Opposing D's must pick their poison constantly. Clark Kent is in the process of changing, y'all.

Oh yeah. S&F accomplished a great deal this offseason starting with only their 5 draft picks.

What a plan!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm betting the biggest improvement in the 2016 Rams will be the OL. Last year was a mish mash of rookies and a couple of vets with no cohesion, green as hell, thrown together to see what sticks. GRob will be in year three with an offseason of intense training at Bentley's school for underachieving offensive linemen. Roger Saffold has a new shoulder, Tim Barnes started the season last year with just four starts under his belt, now has a full season and an offseason of strength and conditioning training. Garrett Reynolds was a great pickup and played very well at LG and was instrumental in elevating GRobs play the last five games. Williams, Donnal, Brown and Wichman all got valuable playing time. There will be continuity this year, something the Rams OL hasn't had in years.
Yes, barring injury, the Rams OL looks to be a strength of the team in '16.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

As long as Greg Robinson can showcase improvement, now he's been working very hard in the off season, but he needs to spend as much time in the film room as the weight room. Rams should be able to start the best left guard not the guy who is going to help Robinson understand stunts and audibles without an improved Robinson the OL will be just ordinary instead of extraordinary.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reynolds WAS the best starting LG last year. He's earned the right to start there again this year unless someone shows better in pre-season.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm betting the biggest improvement in the 2016 Rams will be the OL. Last year was a mish mash of rookies and a couple of vets with no cohesion, green as hell, thrown together to see what sticks. GRob will be in year three with an offseason of intense training at Bentley's school for underachieving offensive linemen. Roger Saffold has a new shoulder, Tim Barnes started the season last year with just four starts under his belt, now has a full season and an offseason of strength and conditioning training. Garrett Reynolds was a great pickup and played very well at LG and was instrumental in elevating GRobs play the last five games. Williams, Donnal, Brown and Wichman all got valuable playing time. There will be continuity this year, something the Rams OL hasn't had in years.

I quite agree that our OL will likely be improved, bubba.

But Higbee looks like he's miles ahead of the departed Cook.

And on multiple levels, at that.

So TE is my pick for most improved position, other than QB, of course.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I don't remember being this excited for an upcoming season. Snisher has done a remarkable job.

The good thing about our WR corps is that they're good down field blockers - or will need to be - because Gurley is going to go off for like 2,000 yards.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really am not stressing about GRob...he'll either get it or he won't. Battle is GRob insurance IMO, and he's essentially a rookie this year that could've been a first round pick, that has now had an entire season to learn the NFL.

The future best Rams OL could very well feature Battle at LT and GRob at guard.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I love the way you guys think. I can't wait till training camp starts.
GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAMBUSH

Starter
I don't remember being this excited for an upcoming season. Snisher has done a remarkable job.

The good thing about our WR corps is that they're good down field blockers - or will need to be - because Gurley is going to go off for like 2,000 yards.
Well, I can honestly say I remember being this exited about many a seasons. I know i know i drink the kool-aid. But I really believe this is our year. We need some luck in the health department.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I haven't seen any of the rookies play this year and I'm not a good evaluater but one can hope for the best. Fisher's staff gets paid to do a job and hopefully they hit on a few of these guy's to become difference makers

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Why are you not counting Hemingway? I mean what does he have to prove to you so that you can take him into account as a weapon?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think the TE's were some of our BEST picks...Real pro-style weapons....ready for 2016.....

The line is the unit that needs to come together....

G-Rob__Brown__Barnes__Saffold__Havenstein

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What I think we NEED in order to have a winning season:

1. Strong year up front from 5 OL playing as one unit consistently. Been a long while since that's happened but the talent is there, our OL coaches just need to settle them in quick in camp and get them to gel before week 1.

2. Low turnover season from Goff. He is going to make mistakes but keeping the total low is what is important. If he keeps the INTs and fumbles down he will be everything we need at QB.

3. One passing game weapon needs to step up as a big play threat. Tavon in the passing game is not enough by himself. We need another guy to step up who can make plays. It can be a holdover or a draft pick, doesn't matter. But it has to happen for this offense to improve.

4. Gurley inclusion in the passing game. I've gone on at length before about number of weapons in the passing game and how that is what is critical vice having a #1 matchup type weapon. The GSoT is an extreme example of this, where they had 4 matchup problems (Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Hakim) for the respective level of DB who would be covering them on passing downs. Good playoff offenses have 3. Rams currently have 1. Gurley is a matchup problem in the passing game that is waiting to be used because no LB can cover him. Translation: use him for F's sake in the passing game Boras.

5. Health on defense. It's time for this defense to arrive and I think it will in spite of its FA losses IF they can stay healthy. Gaines returning to full speed is a huge part of that equation. Ogletree staying healthy inside at MLB is another huge part of the equation. Critically important IMO.

6. Coaching performance. Groh is being thrown right into the fire. Welcome aboard new WR coach, here's a bunch of new weapons, better get them ready to help us out immediately. Oh and here's a new QB too for your passing game, and I want him starting sooner than later. How prepared Groh is for this is a huge element in our season and how it all turns out. Oh and of course Boras is in his first true season of being in charge and installing his offense. If the above and this turn out good, watch out because the Rams will be in business.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
To me it all comes together when they execute on the field. There are a lot of question marks, but pieces are sure there.

I wouldn't put the success or failure of this offense on the shoulders of a rookie quarterback, but they don't have to. The offensive line is going to improve again, and when you consider the emphasis on pass catching with the two tight ends they drafted, can you envision Gurley and Austin in some twelve personnel formations with a quarterback that's elusive in the pocket with footwork good enough to make plays under pressure?

Still, I'm a fool. My optimism is always peaked before the season begins only to come crashing down, so don't look to me for assurance :)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
4. Gurley inclusion in the passing game. I've gone on at length before about number of weapons in the passing game and how that is what is critical vice having a #1 matchup type weapon. The GSoT is an extreme example of this, where they had 4 matchup problems (Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Hakim) for the respective level of DB who would be covering them on passing downs. Good playoff offenses have 3. Rams currently have 1. Gurley is a matchup problem in the passing game that is waiting to be used because no LB can cover him. Translation: use him for F's sake in the passing game Boras.

He only had 26 passes thrown his way in 12 games last year. I went and looked.

He caught 21 of them by the way.

He needs to get triple that amount.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Oh yeah. S&F accomplished a great deal this offseason starting with only their 5 draft picks.

Man, it is so nice to have a coach and GM that have the balls to do what they did, and have the gumption to make something happen instead of sitting around and waiting for something to happen.

And couple that with they way the absolutely killed it on day 3 of the draft? Hell yeah.

Why are you not counting Hemingway? I mean what does he have to prove to you so that you can take him into account as a weapon?

Write a decent novel for the first time in decades. Catching lots of passes wouldn't hurt either :ROFLMAO:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He only had 26 passes thrown his way in 12 games last year. I went and looked.

He caught 21 of them by the way.

He needs to get triple that amount.

Agree, Gurley is one of the best pass catching backs in the league. He just needs the opportunity to showcase it.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Stage One was the acquisition of Goff. We've all read about and studied that move. Finally a premier QB for the Rams. 'Nuff said.

But I believe that Stage Two was a brilliantly executed strategy. How to best surround the new QB with weapons that fit his skill set? Enter Higbee, Cooper, and Thomas (I'm excluding Hemingway for now until he proves himself).

Stage Three was adding more WR's via UDFA.

So, what does my crystal ball show me now?

I see a QB that will rapidly absorb the playbook and quickly master his drops from under C. A smart QB that knows that he must perfect his play action moves, too. A QB that's capable of getting the ball out in 2 seconds or so. A QB that throws catchable passes to receivers that are just breaking open.

I see a TE in Higbee that will be a nightmare to defend. A 6' 6" strong, fast, TE with the wingspan of a Condor that can outleap and outmuscle defenders all game long while catching quickly thrown and accurate pass after pass. The anti Cook.

I see a collection of WR's that seem to be ideal complements to Goff's skill set. Quick, good hands (except maybe Thomas), RAC chain movers. An amazing matchup corps, considering they were targeted and selected in the 4th and 6th rounds of the draft. When S&F decide to flood a position group, they tend to walk away with both starters and producers, don't they? I give you CB, LB, DL, and OL as previous successes in recent drafts.

I see a healthy Gurley running left, right, and up the middle when he's not catching deadly screen passes this year. A RB that will see more openings because the D now is forced to respect the passing threat. Another nightmare to defend.

I see an OL growing together and continuing to improve each game.

I see a balanced O attack that any D must respect. An O that should be middle of the pack this year at the very least. Opposing D's must pick their poison constantly. Clark Kent is in the process of changing, y'all.

What a plan!

Snishers plan as far as the draft has been going well from day 1. This is year 5 of a major overhaul that recieved next to no help via free agency, we all remember how poor the talent was with the exception of a select few this team had no talent. Now the plan is finally coming together and the roster is stocked with young talent. In todays NFL with all the fast turn arounds Snisher have taken longer than others have with their respective teams, but I believe, they are building for the long haul not the quick fix followed by more quick fixes but a program that as long as the drafting keeps bringing in talent it will sustain itself and the only free agents they need to sign will be their own.

TexasRam

Legend
If even one of the 3 of Higgs Coop and Thomas end up being a pro bowl level guy then we will have the weapons needed for a top offense. It takes a trio. And in the case that Goff is great he won't need that aka Brees and Rodgers Success without multiple weapons.

It comes down to Goff and his development. I believe in him. He has the tools.

I say ease Goff on then let him loose. Let him throw. Not just shurmer ball. Let's develop him.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Actually the way I view it is stage 1 AND 2 occurred in the 2015 draft

But I get what you're saying and as jacked as hell about this makeover