Don't we need a big, tall, physical WR?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Either in the draft or free agency? Someone like a Brandon Marshal or Dez Bryant? I think the Rams are lacking such a receiver and it is one piece of the puzzle we need to add.

Whilst I agree with you I'm not sure this regime does, after all we've had multiple shots at getting such a receiver over the last two years and we've failed at each step of the way.

ausmurp

Starter
Yes, and his name will be Dorial Green-Beckham!! And Sam and him will live happily ever after in there house made out of Lombardi trophies.

*still havent given up hope on Quick though.

Dude this guy is the next Calvin Johnson. He makes me feel excited for the 2015 draft. 6'6'' 240 lbs WR who runs a 4.5 or faster 40. Followed him out of HS as the #1 WR recruit in the nation. He was rumored as being Labron James size 6'8'' 250 lbs. He measured in at 6'6'' at Mizzou.

ausmurp

Starter
Whilst I agree with you I'm not sure this regime does, after all we've had multiple shots at getting such a receiver over the last two years and we've failed at each step of the way.

I think this regime has to keep drafting them until we A. find one that can produce like an actual NFL WR or B. one of our guys steps up and does so. I think Tavon will be a 900 to 1000 yds receiving, 4 or 5 tds, 1000+ return yds, 2 or 3 return tds a yr guy. Oh tack on a rushing td. This is great but we still need a WR who can post 80+ catches 1100 yds 8 to 10 tds a yr. We don't have that guy on our team, but hopefully we draft Sammy Watkins because I think he is that guy.

duckhunter

Starter
As a reminder, I keep saying this but we often forget. Our best receiver these last few years was Amendola. What separated him was his hands.

The first requirement of a WR is hands. Not any mention in this thread of hands. I don't care how big or tall or physical or fast or quick, if he can't catch the easy (and often poor) throws, you end up with big tall musculature guy that kills drives on third down.

Good hands is the key weapon of the All-Pro receivers.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw him in the game the other night and liked what little I saw. I don't see him listed on Walter Football.

I think we have a chance at seeing Cook develop more into this kind of receiver IF the rest of the team can develop and we start using more of the spread WITH SUCCESS that we saw at the beginning of the year.

I'm not intending to be negative but, is it just me, or does Cook drop way to many passes? Is this what we're to expect from him year in and year out?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not intending to be negative but, is it just me, or does Cook drop way to many passes? Is this what we're to expect from him year in and year out?
No doubt about it they all have had too many drops for me this year. Some of those might have been great catches had they been complete others looked to be easy catch they were just flat out muffs.

Year to date:
73 targets 43 catches 14.1 avg yd/catch 4 TDs

How much different would those numbers be if Bradford played the whole season and how many more catches would he have if they were able to sustain the offensive scheme they started the year with?

He still may set new team records for TE and when they are completing fewer than 20 passes a game for over half the season. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt this year.

duckhunter

Starter
Quick, Cook, Givens and Austin have had multiple drops in a single game. Some, I think, have multiple drops in more than one game.

Pettis, I don't think so. Bailey hasn't.

Fitzgerald had 12 receptions out of 12 targets. There's your benchmark!!!!! I don't give a shyte what low standard the Ram's use.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quick, Cook, Givens and Austin have had multiple drops in a single game. Some, I think, have multiple drops in more than one game.

Pettis, I don't think so. Bailey hasn't.

Fitzgerald had 12 receptions out of 12 targets. There's your benchmark!!!!! I don't give a shyte what low standard the Ram's use.

Bailey looks really good! We HAVE to play him a lot more these last 3 games. He seems to be very sure handed. Don't know why we've been playing Pettis in front of him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I agree that should be the ultimate goal however a missed target does not equal a drop

duckhunter

Starter
I agree that should be the ultimate goal however a missed target does not equal a drop
Sure everyone pretty much understands that.

A drop is a catchable ball. Some missed targets are catchable balls but you have to put the effort in. Sometimes, I don't see the effort and that bothers me. Sometimes, I see WRs quit on their routes because the coverage is eating em up and then the QB looks bad. It's not practice. With Kellen, I would expect top effort every time and some anticipation that he may be off target. Young Wrs need to help the QB on every single play.

I put the low standard comment in there because I read yesterday one comment from a Rams player about the Rams developing different standards from the rest of the league. It kind of ran against my grain. I didn't know we had some production analysis experts on the Rams roster. Hell, they can't even catch the effing ball but they're developing production standards.

fancents86

Starter
I think we would be shooting ourselves in the ft with drafting another top pick on a WR. I understand a lot of people are disapointed with our recievers as of late, but Quick seems to be showing some promise, Givens is just having a bad year imo. He had his fair share of drops, but if you look at his drop percentage with Bradford and with Clemens, you'll see there's a major difference. He was also hyped up this offseason to be our #1 wr, so alot of teams knew to keep heir eye on him. Austin was not used properly, plain and simple. We all saw what he can do when he gets some space. Bailey is a badass, why he was held back for so long I have no idea. Pettis was a dissapointment, but he is a decent WR imo with good hands. Our offensive scheme was all screwed up this season. When Bradford was in we had no run game, other teams knew this so all they had to do was work on shutting down our recievers. When Clemens came in we only had a running game, and we've seen that teams now know this as well. If the coaches change their offensive game plan and put players in the positions they need to be in to succeed I think we will have a great offense next season. We need to work on Oline and safety depth first and foremost IMO. Also back up qb.

V3

Hall of Fame
I would first get a new WR coach. Our WR's still can't run anything close to a decent route or understand what's going on out there.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
No, we need more 5'8'' guys with skinny ankles.

No offense to 5'8'' guys with skinny ankles.

nighttrain

Legend
Either in the draft or free agency? Someone like a Brandon Marshal or Dez Bryant? I think the Rams are lacking such a receiver and it is one piece of the puzzle we need to add.
thot that was what Cook, Kendricks, and Quick were.
train

nighttrain

Legend
I think we would be shooting ourselves in the ft with drafting another top pick on a WR. I understand a lot of people are disapointed with our recievers as of late, but Quick seems to be showing some promise, Givens is just hNeedaving a bad year imo. He had his fair share of drops, but if you look at his drop percentage with Bradford and with Clemens, you'll see there's a major difference. He was also hyped up this offseason to be our #1 wr, so alot of teams knew to keep heir eye on him. Austin was not used properly, plain and simple. We all saw what he can do when he gets some space. Bailey is a badass, why he was held back for so long I have no idea. Pettis was a dissapointment, but he is a decent WR imo with good hands. Our offensive scheme was all screwed up this season. When Bradford was in we had no run game, other teams knew this so all they had to do was work on shutting down our recievers. When Clemens came in we only had a running game, and we've seen that teams now know this as well. If the coaches change their offensive game plan and put players in the positions they need to be in to succeed I think we will have a great offense next season. We need to work on Oline and safety depth first and foremost IMO. Also back up qb.
Need to draft DB's and backup lineman, both OL and DL
train