Don't we need a big, tall, physical WR?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Either in the draft or free agency? Someone like a Brandon Marshal or Dez Bryant? I think the Rams are lacking such a receiver and it is one piece of the puzzle we need to add.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
This is why people want us to draft the 6ft 5 Mike Evans - or the 6ft 1 Sammy Watkins. I think Brian Quick might be the guy given time. He's a developer - and he's getting better. It just takes time.

Watching Alshon Jeffery last night though was hard to bear knowing we passed him up for Quick.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry moderator, feel free to move this to your draft talk thread. I saw it too late.

A55VA6

Legend
Mike Evans would be nice. Quick was supposed to be that guy but he's really not.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lets see here Fisher has three tall big type receivers in 6-3 220 pound Quick, 6-5 245 pound Cook & Pettis a 6-3 210 pounder ....all have big gaps in there game....you know of a big tall receiver with no gaps?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yes, and his name will be Dorial Green-Beckham!! And Sam and him will live happily ever after in there house made out of Lombardi trophies.

*still havent given up hope on Quick though.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
This is why people want us to draft the 6ft 5 Mike Evans - or the 6ft 1 Sammy Watkins. I think Brian Quick might be the guy given time. He's a developer - and he's getting better. It just takes time.

Watching Alshon Jeffery last night though was hard to bear knowing we passed him up for Quick.
I mentioned this before, but feel it is worth repeating.

Drafting Quick over Jeffrey doesn't bother me...what bothers me is that Chicago took Jeffery with the pick they got from us...in return we got Isiah Pead and Rok Watkins.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Drafting Quick over Jeffrey doesn't bother me...what bothers me is that Chicago took Jeffery with the pick they got from us...in return we got Isiah Pead and Rok Watkins.

Well thats a nice swift kick in the balls.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yes, and his name will be Dorial Green-Beckham!!

I saw him in the game the other night and liked what little I saw. I don't see him listed on Walter Football.

I think we have a chance at seeing Cook develop more into this kind of receiver IF the rest of the team can develop and we start using more of the spread WITH SUCCESS that we saw at the beginning of the year. Having a running game to keep defenses honest is a must in the NFL and they have started to develop that too.

If they were going to pick a WR in the first round I'd have to go with Evans but I really think the DBs and O line are more of an area of need.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I totally feel what you're saying. Maybe I'm just numb from the Ziggy/Shaw days. It was like they looked at the next contract potential and tried to figure out who would be easiest to re-sign. We may not be hitting on every pick but I at least get the feeling we're trying to. Back then? Not so much.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I saw him in the game the other night and liked what little I saw. I don't see him listed on Walter Football.

I think we have a chance at seeing Cook develop more into this kind of receiver IF the rest of the team can develop and we start using more of the spread WITH SUCCESS that we saw at the beginning of the year. Having a running game to keep defenses honest is a must in the NFL and they have started to develop that too.

If they were going to pick a WR in the first round I'd have to go with Evans but I really think the DBs and O line are more of an area of need.

DGB isn't draft eligible till next year so he wont be listed with anything dealing with this upcoming draft. Next year though, we need to grab him.

Agree with your other points, though still don;t see Fisher drafting O-line in the 1st.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Yeah - a running game is crucial to a spread. In fact, Oregon made their bread on butter off the run with a spread offense. The real problem I see with a spread is that defensive players are SO much faster in the NFL that the gaps close really quickly. Even in college you see the good teams figuring out the spread. I think there is a reason you don't see the spread used all that much in the NFL.

I'm brain farting now but think about the offense run by the guy who coached ATL for a bit and later went back to college to coach at Hawaii. That was supposed to open up the NFL offense. Failed miserably. Was it June Jones?

Anyway, as much as the NFL wants to open up the scoring, they still have to get past major studs on defense. Which bye the way I think they're trying to do with all these bullshit calls.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yep June Jones.

Maybe spread isn't exactly right. Whatever they were trying to do the first four games this year.

I was really excited to see Sam working in a more passer friendly offense with the new toys/weapons and up tempo scheme. If they can get the protection right and quit dropping so many passes I think Sam can make this style go for big points most weeks. And now that we have Stacy and Cunningham giving a decent option in the run game it is time to crank it up!!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yep June Jones.

Maybe spread isn't exactly right. Whatever they were trying to do the first four games this year.

I was really excited to see Sam working in a more passer friendly offense with the new toys/weapons and up tempo scheme. If they can get the protection right and quit dropping so many passes I think Sam can make this style go for big points most weeks. And now that we have Stacy and Cunningham giving a decent option in the run game it is time to crank it up!!
I also really liked that they tried to become more of a pass first spread team, even if it didn't work. I just think that the experience will help them become a more balanced team next year as they discover what does work.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
While I agree on the concept, I really think that the spread actually opens up the run more than the passing game. The NFL level players make that a really difficult task. That doesn't mean you can't mix some of it in but you have to be judicial with it and it can be much like the wild cat in its efficacy. Too many weird words - just toss things up. A defense off balance is what you're after. Be able to throw the book at them.

crazyhorns

Rookie

I was just waiting during the draft and thinking hey we can get Quick and Jeffrey. Hind sight is always 20/20 but I know many ram fans felt he was a steal in the second round. All we can do is hope Quick pans out.

Go Rams

lasvegasrams

Rookie
im really borderline on this one. but i feel the rams are still in a position to use their picks on best player available on the first 3 picks on one of the following positions (Safety, WR, DT, OLB, OL)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I'm on board with BPA. Sure we have weaknesses but having studs at key positions means you can game plan around other positions. I realize the other teams can as well but they still have to account for your studs. We have some serious players, now make other teams fear us. We really just need a few more REAL players and the tide can be turned.

Personally - I think that means BPA and then look for other needs. I love JL but if a MLB is the best BPA - take him. Every position is ok to upgrade. And yes... that includes QB though I think that is a huge order and we should be thinking of someone to be a Rodgers kind of pick up - someone you think can be the #1 and learn on the sidelines. Luxury? Maybe. But a definite need IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: