Don't think I've ever seen so much hype over a kicker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BRYAN BURWELL: Since he arrived in camp, Zuerlein has been nailing field goals in practice from as far away as 60 yards. His 50- and 60-yarders are not low streakers that barely skip over the crossbar. They are high and authoritative rockets that leave no doubt that they have enough juice to be good from five to 10 yards more. So when he lined up to kick at the end of the two-minute offense segment of Saturday's scrimmage, the crowd began to buzz a bit when they recognized the potential power in the early kicks from 40 yards that soared high enough to hit the giant endzone TV screen behind the goal post if not for the net catching the footballs.

"Yeah, our kicker, wow, it's been pretty impressive to watch," said quarterback Sam Bradford, who just like the rest of us was shaking his head at the mere mention of Zuerlein's name. "To have that in your back pocket, to know we don't have to get to the 30-yard line to give ourselves a chance."

Read More: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 0b0a2.html

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PhxRam said:
Sebastian Janikowski?
True. But I never really followed the Janikowski story after he was drafted. Were there multiple reports about him almost hitting the cameraman in the tower, or hitting buildings behind the goal-posts?

PhxRam

Does this guy handle kickoff duties as well? Any reports on how he looks at that? Having a guy who is able to kick it out of the back of the endzone every kick is invaluable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
Does this guy handle kickoff duties as well? Any reports on how he looks at that? Having a guy who is able to kick it out of the back of the endzone every kick is invaluable.
I believe he does handle kickoff duties as well. I think another aspect of that would be how high he kicks everything. Even if he only puts it in the middle of the endzone, the fact that it'll be in the air so long gives the coverage team time to get down there and gobble up any potential returns. I think we might very well see a bunch of courageous returners getting mauled at the 10 yard line too.

That would be shweet.

paceram

Pro Bowler
From what I have been reading I doubt there will be many kickoff returns against the Rams this season! Now, if we can say the same thing about the punt returns that would also be some more good news for the Rams!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
PhxRam said:
Sebastian Janikowski?
True. But I never really followed the Janikowski story after he was drafted. Were there multiple reports about him almost hitting the cameraman in the tower, or hitting buildings behind the goal-posts?

Not that I can recall. If he hit a cameraman it was likely while he was drunk and I doubt a tower had anything to do with it.... a tall boy maybe. :tooth:

Anonymous

X said:
BRYAN BURWELL: Since he arrived in camp, Zuerlein has been nailing field goals in practice from as far away as 60 yards. His 50- and 60-yarders are not low streakers that barely skip over the crossbar. They are high and authoritative rockets that leave no doubt that they have enough juice to be good from five to 10 yards more. So when he lined up to kick at the end of the two-minute offense segment of Saturday's scrimmage, the crowd began to buzz a bit when they recognized the potential power in the early kicks from 40 yards that soared high enough to hit the giant endzone TV screen behind the goal post if not for the net catching the footballs.

"Yeah, our kicker, wow, it's been pretty impressive to watch," said quarterback Sam Bradford, who just like the rest of us was shaking his head at the mere mention of Zuerlein's name. "To have that in your back pocket, to know we don't have to get to the 30-yard line to give ourselves a chance."

I noticed you're not posting whole articles sometimes lately, just extracts.

Is there a reason for that? Just curious.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:

I noticed you're not posting whole articles sometimes lately, just extracts.

Is there a reason for that? Just curious.
I just wanted to post the relative stuff. The rest of Burwell's article pertained to something else. All the rules still apply when offering a quote, source, extract, story, etc. FULL credit to the guy writing it.