Don't Sleep On Rookie TE Gerald Everett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Don't Sleep On Rookie TE Gerald Everett

http://yi.nzc.am/bLpwj2

In the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Rams selected tight end Gerald Everett. The 6-3, 245-pound South Alabama product had little problem creating yards after the catch (YAC) in college.

Everett forced nine more missed tackles than any other college tight end last season, according to Pro Football Focus. He led the nation in forced missed tackles over the past two years even though five tight ends had more receptions. In 2014, he ranked fourth in the nation while only having 17 receptions.

According to PFF, of Everett's 1,593 career reception yards, 63.5% of those yards came after the catch.

Player Comparison: Antonio Gates

PFF excerpt:

Everett may never reach Gates’ Hall of Fame status, but both players entered the NFL draft with limited football experience after growing up on the basketball court rather than the football field. Everett, like Gates, is just exploding with athletic ability at 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds as he enters the draft, but his technique – both as a blocker and as a route-runner – needs to be polished up, likely due mostly to a lack of experience.
  • The Rams used their first pick in the 2017 NFL draft on South Alabama TE Gerald Everett, who had no problem creating yards after the catch.
  • Everett was ranked second in yards after the catch over the past two seasons while still ranking 19th in 2014 on only 17 receptions.
  • In 2016, there were five tight ends to have more receptions than Everett and he still forced 17 more missed tackles than the next closest three. The Rams’ receivers and tight ends combined for 26 missed tackles in 2016.
  • Of the 1,593 receptions yards Everett had in three seasons at South Alabama, 63.5 percent of those have come after the catch.
Bottom line: Everett is big, athletic and elusive with the ball in his hands. He provides an impressive presence in the middle of the field and all his physical traits, along with his basketball instincts, make him capable of shielding defenders away at the catch point even when he doesn’t create a ton of separation. He needs to clean up his technique a bit, but he shows an obvious willingness to block and it’d be tough to find an instance on film where he shies away from contact. He’s one of the more raw tight ends in the class – maybe the most — but his physical tools are so great that with some good NFL coaching he has the chance to be one of the better tight ends in all of football.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe the Los Angeles Rams will have many two tight end sets with Higbee & Everett....I see quite a few play action hitting the tight end and reason that Everett thrives with yards after the catch is he come up as a running back that was converted to tight end so that is a plus once Goff gets Everett the football in space and Everett unveils his new nickname..."Lost in Space."

600x360-ge-phototemplate.jpg

Zodi

Hall of Fame
BEAST MODE. Can't wait to see him, Kupp and Reynolds in action.

Also, I think Hemingway might surprise a few people this season, altho he has the highest chance of being the odd man out... Still, I can see us keeping a stable of TE's with Everett, Higbee, and Hemmingway, with Rogers as our gadget player. So many options for Goff... He's gotta love it

Ram65

Legend
  • Everett was ranked second in yards after the catch over the past two seasons while still ranking 19th in 2014 on only 17 receptions.
  • In 2016, there were five tight ends to have more receptions than Everett and he still forced 17 more missed tackles than the next closest three. The Rams’ receivers and tight ends combined for 26 missed tackles in 2016.
  • Of the 1,593 receptions yards Everett had in three seasons at South Alabama, 63.5 percent of those have come after the catch.
Everett was the most controversial 2017 Rams draft pick. When I saw his highlights before the draft I thought he had great power and balance. He acts like a running back once he catches the ball. It shows in the stats above and highlights below, He has been playing football since his senior year in high school so I dismiss the limited experience notes. He has natural instincts when catching and running the ball that are hard to teach. He will make an impact this year. Having him and Higbee in the 12 set will give the Rams many offensive options.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxLK5sEcqQ

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Does seem that McVay has an over abundance of youthful talented receiving types of TE's/Move H-Back types to go with veteran Cory Harkey 6-4 260 27-6. Cory is the only legit LOS blocking TE the Rams have.

Tyler Higbee 6-4 243 24/2 a converted receiver.
Temarrick Hemingway 6-5 244 23/2 -Has short area movement like a basketball player & Non typical TE prospect
Gerald Everett 6-3 240 22/R -a converted basketball player.
Johnny Mundt 6-4 243 21/R-
Travis Wilson- 6-7 233 23/1- Former QB

Did you all notice that these five all are on the lighter side of the weight scale for normal NFL TE's of today?

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
89 Carrier, Derek TE 6-4 248 26 5 Beloit
85 Davis, Vernon TE 6-3 248 33 12 Maryland
82 Garner, Manasseh TE 6-2 220 25 1 Pittsburgh
84 Paul, Niles TE 6-1 242 27 7 Nebraska
86 Reed, Jordan TE 6-2 246 26 5 Florida
87 Sprinkle, Jeremy TE 6-5 252 22 R Arkansas

Unless the Redskins keep 4 TEs, they have injuries to Reed or Davis, or they cut their 5th rounder (Sprinkle), it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the players in bold on the Rams roster by opening day instead of Hemmingway.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
When I first saw the gronk, hernandez combo, I figured we were in for a new trend using 2 dominating TE s on the same play, but for some reason that hasn't been the case. These 2 may not dominate but I do feel that when they are both on the field, one of them will be covered by the worst cover man from the defense and that at least one of them will be WFO. Of course, the new offensive scheme will help tremendously.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Get open and CATCH the ball, that's all I ask. Oh, and get past the 1st down marker.

Ram65

Legend

That is a great video demonstration of the Reed/Everett similarities.

"These examples all come with one large caveat: To have the level of success in the NFL akin to Reed, Everett needs to improve and refine numerous aspects of his game. Though he demonstrates acceleration into his routes, he appears slow off the line. He really needs to develop his route-running overall. It lacks sharpness, urgency, and nous – such as selling the deep route better by pushing harder vertically. In his role, he will be most hurt by this on post routes against Cover 2. In that scenario, it is vital that he is able to manipulate the safety. His hands also looked inconsistent. His poor blocking should be less of an issue since he will not be playing the traditional tight-end role, but it suffers from flawed technique.

Against better competition, a lot of Everett’s plays would not have had the same results. In the first example, a better linebacker would have stayed disciplined and therefore would have been in prime position to play the ball. In the second, the deep safety would have recognized the post and broke on the ball. This is why it is so important for Everett to develop early on in his NFL career."

I'm not completely buying some of the criticism. I thought he was slower off the line to give himself space from the linebacker on the first play. He was running to openings and found them. I'm sure he has to get a little more refined in his route running. The Rams coaching will work on that. It was nice to see the plays I watched on his highlight video broken down. Players play to the competition, I imagine Everett will step it up when facing NFL competition. He sounds like the type of player that is willing to put in the work.