Don't Sleep on Jeff Fisher to USC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lee Corso just predicted it on College Game Day, following the Michigan lead and understood about Chip Kelly, but with Fisher they get a USC alum and a coach with a history of dealing with player issues. It would be looked upon as a great hire IMO.

Believe me the more success that Harbaugh has the more that major colleges will want to copy the formula and Raider Coach Jack Del Rio is also a USC alum, but Fisher would be a better fit. Now Fisher has stated many times he has not interest in coaching in college, but things change when your alma mater comes calling just like it did for Jim Harbaugh.

Add in the possible relocation and Fisher will be in the last year of his contract (might get an extension because of this too) and maybe just maybe the Rams could be looking for a new Head Coach come 2016?
Fisher-USC-SI.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Could you see him as the USC coach? I've been thinking lately he could be the next USC AD. Haden is under a lot of fire for what's going on with the football program. It could end up costing him after a couple bad football coach hires. It puts Fisher in a position of authority and he won't have to go recruiting.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could you see him as the USC coach? I've been thinking lately he could be the next USC AD. Haden is under a lot of fire for what's going on with the football program. It could end up costing him after a couple bad football coach hires. It puts Fisher in a position of authority and he won't have to go recruiting.

Great Points @OldSchool did not think of that, but I think he would want to still coach although tying in being Athletic Director could make it more attractive, however, I still feel Fisher is a football coach and the question will be, will he leave for his alma mater? IMO, it's possible and with the relocation looming, it could be more of a possibility, however, I could also see this being used by Fisher to gain a contract extension instead of just a one year extension.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher is an NFL coach. He doesn't want to recruit high school kids year round. I say no way.........and I am going to sleep on it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Not Impossible he was the original heir apparent to John Robinson before leaving SC for Tenn.
But they are looking at real big name Coaches to stabilize the program. J Fish is certainly a big name but I think they want to go even bigger and the SC Job is easily a top 10 Football coaching destination and that includes the NFL.
Good Call though, Kelly and Asshole Face seem to head the list for the time being.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher is an NFL coach. He doesn't want to recruit high school kids year round. I say no way.........and I am going to sleep on it.

Eh, Fisher wouldn't have to recruit if he hired the right staff.

A lot of the big name coaches don't really have to do all that much recruiting if they don't want to. I know Meyer used to be very involved but that's also his "thing."

Fisher's name and reputation along with USC's natural talent base would attract great/elite recruiting classes even without him recruiting that hard.

I don't think Spurrier was really recruiting that hard at SC. I doubt Saban has to recruit that hard either.

I mean, yea, you have to kiss their asses and be able to close them but I don't see Fisher having any trouble with that if he wanted to go to college.(the guy's known as a player's coach for a reason) If you can deal with the NFL egos, I think you can handle the high school/college egos. I also don't think college is nearly as much work as the pros during the season.

Again, talking about Spurrier, I think that's one thing he loved about the college game. Didn't have to put in the same number of hours as you would in the NFL when it comes to film, game-planning, meetings, etc.

Not Impossible he was the original heir apparent to John Robinson before leaving SC for Tenn.
But they are looking at real big name Coaches to stabilize the program. J Fish is certainly a big name but I think they want to go even bigger and the SC Job is easily a top 10 Football coaching destination and that includes the NFL.
Good Call though, Kelly and Asshole Face seem to head the list for the time being.

They tried this before. They were supposed to get an even bigger name when they hired both Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian. USC is a great program but the truth is that the bigger names typically have better jobs to go to or would rather stay where they are.

Fisher or Jack Del Rio would be a great get for them. But not sure either will want the job.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt Asshole Face has any interest. Chip Kelly might depending on how the Eagles finish this year. But I wonder if he has too much pride for that.(as weird as that seems)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eh, Fisher wouldn't have to recruit if he hired the right staff.

A lot of the big name coaches don't really have to do all that much recruiting if they don't want to. I know Meyer used to be very involved but that's also his "thing."

Fisher's name and reputation along with USC's natural talent base would attract great/elite recruiting classes even without him recruiting that hard.

I don't think Spurrier was really recruiting that hard at SC. I doubt Saban has to recruit that hard either.

I mean, yea, you have to kiss their asses and be able to close them but I don't see Fisher having any trouble with that if he wanted to go to college.(the guy's known as a player's coach for a reason) If you can deal with the NFL egos, I think you can handle the high school/college egos. I also don't think college is nearly as much work as the pros during the season.

Again, talking about Spurrier, I think that's one thing he loved about the college game. Didn't have to put in the same number of hours as you would in the NFL when it comes to film, game-planning, meetings, etc.

They tried this before. They were supposed to get an even bigger name when they hired both Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian. USC is a great program but the truth is that the bigger names typically have better jobs to go to or would rather stay where they are.

Fisher or Jack Del Rio would be a great get for them. But not sure either will want the job.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt Asshole Face has any interest. Chip Kelly might depending on how the Eagles finish this year. But I wonder if he has too much pride for that.(as weird as that seems)

Meyer is still very involved in recruiting. He goes to high school games just like any other college coach that wants a great team. Meyer goes the extra mile too. He is quite the conniver still. Coaches still have to get involved in recruiting. It is not exactly like the draft but they watch the tapes on kids and make decisions on who fits their style and so forth. Kiffin was very involved in recruiting at USC and so was Carroll. Saban has been spotted in New Jersey several times the last two years. Joe Paterno used to stay at home, because he was too old to recruit and he never liked that part of the job to begin with. His classes suffered because of it. He went from having a top tier program in the 90s to having a middle of the road program in the 2000s. If a coach wants a top ten/five program he has to recruit..........look what happened to South Carolina when Spurrier slacked on recruiting. He used to go hard at it. I recall Marcus Lattimore committing the day after Spurrier was dancing with his mom in their living room. He was leaning PSU until that visit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meyer is still very involved in recruiting. He goes to high school games just like any other college coach that wants a great team. Meyer goes the extra mile too. He is quite the conniver still. Coaches still have to get involved in recruiting. It is not exactly like the draft but they watch the tapes on kids and make decisions on who fits their style and so forth. Kiffin was very involved in recruiting at USC and so was Carroll. Saban has been spotted in New Jersey several times the last two years. Joe Paterno used to stay at home, because he was too old to recruit and he never liked that part of the job to begin with. His classes suffered because of it. He went from having a top tier program in the 90s to having a middle of the road program in the 2000s. If a coach wants a top ten/five program he has to recruit..........look what happened to South Carolina when Spurrier slacked on recruiting. He used to go hard at it. I recall Marcus Lattimore committing the day after Spurrier was dancing with his mom in their living room. He was leaning PSU until that visit.

As I said, that's what Meyer does. It's his thing.

And I also said you have to be able to close them. That's what Spurrier was doing. He was quite good at that. But it's not the same thing as being the guy on the road and the point of contact for the recruit. Spurrier wasn't that. Even when South Carolina was quite good. He wasn't really a guy that went hard at it. Just a great closer.

South Carolina falling off a bit isn't really because of Spurrier lacking the ability to recruit. It's more because SC hasn't had their studly recruits pan out as well of late. They haven't had a Clowney or Lattimore or etc. come out the last few years and they lost some of their top assistants to other programs (including the DL Coach).

Fisher wouldn't have to do that much. Especially when you compare it to his NFL workload.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless college changes its rules and fisher fan bring ex Titan players with him, I'm gonna say I doubt this

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As I said, that's what Meyer does. It's his thing.

And I also said you have to be able to close them. That's what Spurrier was doing. He was quite good at that. But it's not the same thing as being the guy on the road and the point of contact for the recruit. Spurrier wasn't that. Even when South Carolina was quite good. He wasn't really a guy that went hard at it. Just a great closer.

South Carolina falling off a bit isn't really because of Spurrier lacking the ability to recruit. It's more because SC hasn't had their studly recruits pan out as well of late. They haven't had a Clowney or Lattimore or etc. come out the last few years and they lost some of their top assistants to other programs (including the DL Coach).

Fisher wouldn't have to do that much. Especially when you compare it to his NFL workload.

Every college team uses a recruiting coordinator. Coaches still recruit......or most of them do. Even if you say it is just closing. James Franklin only goes to the top targets home games and such but he is involved with every part of the recruiting process, from planning, evaluating, on campus visits etc. Fisher would have to do that stuff. That was the one part of college that Harbaugh said he wouldn't miss.........now he has it back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every college team uses a recruiting coordinator. Coaches still recruit......or most of them do. Even if you say it is just closing. James Franklin only goes to the top targets home games and such but he is involved with every part of the recruiting process, from planning, evaluating, on campus visits etc. Fisher would have to do that stuff. That was the one part of college that Harbaugh said he wouldn't miss.........now he has it back.

Franklin also hangs his hat on recruiting. He's in a bit of a different place than Fisher would be.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Speaking of college coaches, Gary Pinkel excels at recruiting little-known kids who fit his system. Sean Weatherspoon, Shane Ray, Harold Brantley, Danario Alexander, Henry Josey, Russell Hansbrough, Marcus Murphy, William Moore, Chase Coffman, Chase Daniel, Ziggy Hood, Tim Barnes, Michael Egnew, Martin Rucker, Zavier Gooden, Aldon Smith, Jacqiues Smith, Justin Britt, Michael Sam, E.J. Gaines, Mitch Morse, Bud Sasser, Kentrell Brothers, Sean Culkin, Markus Golden, Michael Scherer, Donavin Newsom, Josh Augusta, Charles Harris, Aarion Penton, and Kenya Dennis were all two or three star recruits who have - or will - be drafted into the NFL. Other four star prospects such as Jeremy Maclin, Evan Boehm, Sheldon Richardson, and Kony Ealy, and Damien Nash (RIP) have been drafted. We've had all of our five star prospects get drafted (Gabbert, Green-Beckham). Others such as Marcus Lucas, L'Damian Washington, and Cornelius "Pig" Brown, amongst many others, have gotten close.

I don't think Pinkel really recruits all of these guys. He sends guys to see which kids fit his system and can grow into their bodies. He recruits based on that, not four/five star rankings.

My point? I don't think that Fisher could do that. I don't think he'd want to do that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As an ND fan who looks forward to the USC game as the superbowl of the regular season, I would love if USC hired Fisher. Maybe he could steal Schottenhiemer away from GA while he's at it.....

And while we're not sleeping on it, dont count on Harbaugh staying in Michigan too long. I say hes back in the NFL next year coaching his boy Andrew Luck

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Ain't gonna happen this connection has been going on since his initial success with the Tennessee Titans yet he's still in nfl