Don't over-think it, It's time to start rookie QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Goff or Mannion?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Don't over-think it, It's time to start rookie QB Jared Goff
227364_d06e6d615a36430c82caff93505ba7de~mv2.jpg

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-...ink-it-Its-time-to-start-rookie-QB-Jared-Goff

October 10, 2016 | By: Jake Ellenbogen

Alright Jeff Fisher, you have made every one of us sit through five Rams games with a team ready to make the playoffs led by a 28-year-old veteran journeyman QB in Case Keenum who has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. It's officially time to someone else a shot.

Keenum has been cringe-worthy at times but the Rams kept on winning with their three game winning streak. You can't switch QB's when the team is winning right? Well, actually it's worth mentioning that the owner of the Cowboys Jerry Jones said that Tony Romo will be the starter when he comes back from his injury despite how well the young rookie QB Dak Prescott has played. Hmmm...so what about Fisher? After the loss to the Bills he said this on Keenum "He made some good decisions today. Quick decisions and good throws."

Oh boy. First off he made some horrible decisions, he's not quick at making decisions at all and his throws were putrid. This should worry the latter the fact Fisher is talking up Keenum after he just played a bad game and was one of the big reasons the Rams lost. Well, it shouldn't normally have to when you have the back-ups the Rams have at QB. The thing that should scare you is the fact Fisher has stayed committed to a player who is average at best and is either the worst starter on the Rams or the second-worst behind Greg Robinson.

It's time to start Jared Goff. You drafted the kid out of California no.1 overall and sacrificed the majority of the 2016 draft and more to pick him. Yes, he is 21-years old and the history with 21-year old QB's has been very unsuccessful. However, Goff is not sitting behind some transcendent player. He's sitting behind Case Keenum who he might already be a better QB then. Goff and L.A. fans have been forced to sit and watch the likes of rookie sensation Carson Wentz (the QB the Rams passed on) look like a future franchise QB, Dak Prescott, a fourth-round pick look like one as well and that's not all. Rookie quarterbacks Paxton Lynch, Jacoby Brissett and Cody Kessler have all made their starting debuts.

Goff struggled in preseason but everyone seems to forget Wentz did too. Goff threw touchdown passes and Wentz threw one interception then broke his ribs but, who started week one and continues to look like a top flight QB? Wentz. Anyone who knows me, knows I have been all for Wentz as the no.1 QB in this class however, I liked Goff and I think the Rams are just flat out making the wrong decision in not letting him play. Goff only had one drive in preseason with the first-team and led them down the field for a touchdown. That was also not the entire first-team either as WR Tavon Austin, RB's Todd Gurley and Benny Cunningham were absent.

Goff is not a perfect prospect by any means and looks like he could have a fumbling issue early on but here's the deal. Overall I think Goff can make all the throws to put the Rams in position to win a game like yesterday. I think Goff hits Brian Quick in stride on that throw that Keenum missed. I think Goff would be more respected by the defense and open up the running game even more with Gurley. Lastly I think Goff, struggled getting rid of the ball and "living to play another down" might be bad at that but Keenum is just as bad and maybe worse.

When fully healthy this defense proved three weeks in a row they can carry Case Keenum to the finish line. Imagine what could happen if Goff came in and just played average. Right now the jury is out Keenum has more interceptions than touchdowns so he has proven that the one thing to keep Goff on the bench for (ball security) Keenum can't even do himself. I orginally predicted Goff to start after the bye week nine and I stand by that happening but what I think is that Goff should start this Sunday and Mannion should get a chance to be the backup.

All I know is this, Fisher said he wasn't going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 or even 10-6 but if Keenum stays the go-to-guy at QB they are destined to go 8-8 especially with CB Trumaine Johnson's ankle injury and the three defensive lineman battling injuries. Keenum can win when everything is going according to plan and there are no injuries on the defense but the fact of the matter is that injuries are part of the game and it's not realistic to assume you aren't going to get them. Playing a below-average starter in Keenum when you have a first-round and third-round pick is not a real choice.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lotta words for "I wanna see Goff play."

And now I'll let @Prime Time come in and comb over the grammar and syntax. lol.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lotta words for "I wanna see Goff play."

Ahem...

We can all make all the proclamations we want. We can post all the stats we want. We can continue to bemoan the delay of Goff's debut all we want. We can project and predict how much better everything will be once he's put in all we want. But what we can't do is make it happen. So how about this? How about we go ahead and pull for Keenum to do the very best he can and for the team to rally around him until such a time that he's not the QB anymore. As everyone has already pointed out, they didn't go up and draft Goff simply to have him be our future #2. Fisher and Snead have proclaimed that he's the future. They told us that, and they told him that. Keenum even knows that. It's known by everyone. Everywhere.

In the meantime, how about we relax with the confirmation bias. There's no need to keep saying Keenum is a bad QB. There's no need to tear apart every throw the guy makes in order to make the point that Goff would do it better. And there's no need to rip into his arm, his heart, his courage, his mechanics, his field vision, his pocket presence, etc., etc., etc. Everyone here knows that he's a backup QB in this league. Neither Fisher nor Snead said that Keenum is a top 10 QB or even a starting caliber QB. They only said they can win games with him. And guess what? They have. Wasn't pretty, wasn't flashy, wasn't even particularly good. Remember - he's a placeholder. He's there to keep the wheels turning until Goff meets the expectations the staff has for him to become the starter. Can't hurry that along either. Can't insult Fisher into doing it. Can't wish it into existence, and can't speak it into existence. I'm sorry if that takes away all your options, but wouldn't the world (and this board) be a better place if we just accepted the situation and rallied behind the guy who everyone seems to think is a quality, gritty, try-hard? As opposed to making him out to be the anti-Christ of the football world? Find some joy in the little things. Root for the underdog. Try to be cool. Because the alternative isn't working.

Or not. It's just a suggestion. You're all grown men and can do whatever you want, of course.

I have no beef with your view, I just found your top statement funny.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The 2nd to last paragraph says it all. If Goff can just be average, imagine how much the team improves. I was comfortable with Goff sitting originally when Fisher stated he wants to keep the turnovers down. Well Keenum has the 9th highest INT%, so that is not working.

Hard to understand what is going on here. Goff can not be that "not ready" and Keenum is not that good. There has to be more going on here than we know about, because none of this makes any sense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The 2nd to last paragraph says it all. If Goff can just be average, imagine how much the team improves. I was comfortable with Goff sitting originally when Fisher stated he wants to keep the turnovers down. Well Keenum has the 9th highest INT%, so that is not working.

Hard to understand what is going on here. Goff can not be that "not ready" and Keenum is not that good. There has to be more going on here than we know about, because none of this makes any sense.

At this point I think it's just plain, old fashioned stubbornness. Fisher anointed Keenum the starter in preseason, made it his job to lose, and let him soak up almost all the reps with the #1's. And now he's doubling down on that.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
It the Rams go 7-9 or 8-8 this year with Keenum at QB that would be a terrible but with Goff at QB for majority or at least half the season then I would be able to swallow that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ahem...

I have no beef with your view, I just found your top statement funny.

Well, yeah, but I wasn't advocating for a specific player, I was advocating for a better Vibe around here.

jap

Legend
Perhaps Jared will be starting this weekend. Perhaps he is starting next weekend or after the bye or next year. Fish will do whatever he's gonna do. If he does start Jared unexpectedly, assuming our rookie signal caller is ready to start, he may shock the hell out of an NFL opponent who prepared for Case & his relatively weak arm instead of a golden arm blue chip prospect. Mind you, an NFL DC might still resort to throwing everything & the kitchen sink at our rookie, but there is a huge difference between facing a QB you have prepared for vs dealing with a relatively unknown kid. They would still have collegiate videos on him, but a rookie QB who is somewhat 'prepared' can still raise hell. How many times have we seen a veteran QB go down, only to have a bright, young, relatively unknown QB come in and look like the second potential coming of Unitas?

Remember Ryan "Harvard" Fitzpatrick as a rookie with the Rams and how fantastic he looked in his first game? Remember how he struggled after opposing teams had film on him and time to scrutinize his abilities & limitations?

Similarly, in his early games, Jared will get tested severely by defenses until he proves he can beat the intense blitzing or recognizes & defeats the scheme underlying the exotic looks.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am choosing to believe that Goff starts after the bye if we are 3-4 (which, unfortunately, I think will be the case).

Maybe he starts after the bye regardless.

But Wentz and Dak had something in common that Goff does not - a nice and easy travel schedule to start the year, coupled with home games.

I know people want to see Goff this week. But with the travel situation what it is, and having only played two true home games in the first 7, it makes so much more sense to have Goff start after the bye.

And if that is Fisher's plan, he couldn't tell anyone. So I am choosing to believe that's the plan.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Jake, sometimes guys are not ready for the leap to the big time. Their enthusiasm is admirable. Their drive will pay off. But they need more coaching and time as an apprentice.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be within shouting distance of Fisher on Sunday if you guys have anything you want me to relay to him . I'm sure I will have my own things to say and if it's going bad you can believe he will hear me .

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jake, sometimes guys are not ready for the leap to the big time. Their enthusiasm is admirable. Their drive will pay off. But they need more coaching and time as an apprentice.
I just watched every snap Keenum has had with the Rams from three different angles and I can say he might be worse than Nick Foles...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I just watched every snap Keenum has had with the Rams from three different angles and I can say he might be worse than Nick Foles...
Tell me, what football experience do you have? Any playing experience? Coaching? Scouting? Just curious.....

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It the Rams go 7-9 or 8-8 this year with Keenum at QB that would be a terrible but with Goff at QB for majority or at least half the season then I would be able to swallow that.

Yeah, it's called Fisher job security.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just watched every snap Keenum has had with the Rams from three different angles
You do realize that you're telling us you watched 1839 plays. Just now.
613 snaps X 3 = 1839