Don’t look now, but Wade has 4 “holes” in his front seven...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Plus Ogletree might be playing out of position. So you might say that Wade has 4 1/2 “holes”.

Assuming that Joyner is extended and the other outside CB is filled with either a vet FA, my proposed Talib trade, or premium draft pick, plus an NRC extension? Well, then our secondary would be beyond solid. I mean, it would be excellent, including MP and JJ.

But that front 7? Got some work to do there, y’all.

NT
Both OLB spots
Barron looks like an oft injured non scheme fit for Wade’s D. Quinn was traded, in part, because he was a kinda non fit, himself. Sooooo...
Ogletree might fit better in Barron’s current spot.

That’s a pretty big to-do list even for a DC like Wade. Challenging, but doable if S&M are willing to commit resources to those 4 positions.

I sense, based upon the already made MP and Quinn moves, that S&M are fully committed to “finishing” Wade’s D. I mean, All In committed. I’m predicting 4 new faces as starters on our front 7 plus that position switch for Ogletree.

How’s that for ballsy? Lol.

jap

Legend
Plus Ogletree might be playing out of position. So you might say that Wade has 4 1/2 “holes”.

Assuming that Joyner is extended and the other outside CB is filled with either a vet FA, my proposed Talib trade, or premium draft pick, plus an NRC extension? Well, then our secondary would be beyond solid. I mean, it would be excellent, including MP and JJ.

NT
Both OLB spots
Barron looks like an oft injured non scheme fit for Wade’s D. Quinn was traded, in part, because he was a kinda non fit, himself. Sooooo...

That’s a pretty big to-do list even for a DC like Wade. Challenging, but doable if S&M are willing to commit resources to those 4 positions.

I sense, based upon the already made MP and Quinn moves, that S&M are fully committed to “finishing” Wade’s D. I mean, All In committed. I’m predicting 4 new faces as starters on our front 7 plus that position switch for Ogletree.

Why the hell not? I still would like to see our D answer The Fisher King's early challenge to break the Chicago Bears' NFL single season team sack record. We need some movers & shakers to get even close to that milestone.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I really like Barron but his recent injuries, especially the shoulder, are a big concern for me. I'm leaning towards a similar exit as Quinn due to contract, injury, and wade seeing a better fit in FA and the draft. I would be very happy seeing 2 of the following LBs playing for the rams; Bradham, Bowman, Edmunds, and LVE.

Then there's Ebukam who wade should know if he can start by now. I also like longacre but what's going on with his injury for this year?

If Ebukam can start and we bring in either Bradham or a DT, then the rams can grab the other position with their first round pick.

I wish we knew how they feel about hill as a starting CB. Would make draft prognosticating easier. So would knowing if shields was brought in for depth or a chance to start? I do think it doesn't bode well for webster and Tru that were looking for another FA CB

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Then there's Ebukam who wade should know if he can start by now. I also like longacre but what's going on with his injury for this year?

Yeah Ebu doesn't have the twitch for the right side but he's probably ok for LOLB. Depth is the bigger concern there tbh, since I doubt they have the bullets to fill both OLB positions (since they also need a physical ILB, NT and a CB2). ROLB starter is going to be the critical fill and from there they can make do on the left side IMO.

…..

Legend
I'm not worried. Quite the opposite actually.

The Rams are in the middle of doing what most thought should happen anyway.

Some would say "Dont look now but you'll have new faces round here" ....While others say "Well this is what you wanted, glad to see the new faces around here."

Will be interesting to see the rest of the plan fall in to place. I'm pretty proud of my team right now.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You draft guys like Ebukam to groom and eventually start - we don't quite know what we have in him, but that's the way it goes in the NFL sometimes - I'd say he's a "starter".

But we do need an OLB, MLB, NT and most likely a CB - and all this with probably less money than people think. And you have to add WR to the list too.

That's 5 starting positions that may be needed and only roughly $25 million in cap space once you factor in RFAs, draft and save some for injury replacements next year. OLB will have to be found in the draft IMO, and we should have enough cap space for the other positions..

But this doesn't help plan for the future and I'm concerned about the OL.

fearsomefour

Legend
resign Longacre (RFA) bring in Davis from Denver and move Barron outside on passing downs.
Ogletree, Longacre, Davis, Barron, Samson, Littleton, Hagar.....not as barren as it seems. I like the versatility of Barron, he and Davis can move inside or outside depending on scheme and match ups. Assuming Barron can stay healthy of course.
the DL.....will be interesting to see the approach there. I think it is telling that the Rams made the trade for Peters, tagged Joyner and brought in another CB in Shields to talk to, that is an obvious area of focus.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

NT
Both OLB spots

The Defense biggest issue in the DL is 1 Hole @ starting NT. Other DL posts are very strong!

DT- Donald/ Fox /Smart
NT- Bryant(R)
DE- Brockers/ Westbrooks

Both Edge Rusher outside posts have the numbers signed but with Quinn departed & the unknown status of UFA Conner Barwin UFA will cause alarm. Matt Longacre played very well & shared time as the starter in 2017 until the injury. Rookie Ebukum started 2 gms & finished 3 others for Barwin he held up well & had more tackles than Quinn in a much more limited role. OLB Cory Littleton is a tall lanky thin over 6-3 220/225 LB'er who in 2016 finished 3 gms as the starter @ OLB & 2017 started 4 gms & finished 2 others. Between these 3 LB'ers you will get a starter. Thus you will need to replace both Quinn & Barwin thus Wade has @ least 1 Hole.

OLB/ER- Longacre/ Littleton/ Sickels(R)

OLB/ER- Ebukam/ Thompson/ Price

Wade's two inside LB'er posts will need to be rearranged if Mark Barron is cut. There's no doubt that Ogletree would be better on the interior weak-side. But if Barron is here or not Wade has 1 Hole @ starting strong side interior LB'er.

SSILB- Lynch /
WSILB- Ogletree/ Hager / Barron

Wade's DB has some good numbers signed but is very young with a big ? with Webster. Currently 1 Hole @ an outside starting corner. Snead might seek to resign UFA deep safety Cody Davis to free up LJ to be the starting Nickle corner.

CB- Peters/ Peterson/ Nixon(R)
CB- Webster/ Hill / Hatfield
FS- Joyner/ Countess/ Johnson

SS- Johnson / Christian

Conclusion: Snead on Defense has Four (4) plus starting Holes before Free Agency & the 2018 Draft. NT-ER-ILB-CB

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't Brockers a Nose? Or was he at DT this year

He was playing DE in the three man front after being shifted early in the season. And kicked some ass there, but it did leave a hole in the middle.