Donald will stay at his current position, 3-technique

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For all those worried about the Wade Phillips move. He'll be just fine.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm sure he will play at 3 Tech. I'm equally sure Wade will move him around as did Williams. Donald was effective playing those few snaps at RDE, pretty sure we'll see a hybrid defense experimenting some once Phillips starts getting to know his players strengths and weaknesses. jmo.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I thought it was fairly important news because everybody is freaking out about the 3-4. Sorry.

You're good. I thought Champ's post was sarcasm. Last two days have been very active (and good) for us Rams fans.

Wade. Bones. Donald staying 3 technique. All gooooood!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I thought it was fairly important news because everybody is freaking out about the 3-4. Sorry.

I'd actually embrace a 3/4 hybrid. Based on current talent it might actually make sense to change now, ... one new DE, a rotational NT & an OLB may be enough to make a success of it. Sticking with the 4/3, we still need to upgrade at LDE soon, and another rotational DT. Estimates already have us at near $44.mil of available CAP which doesn't include any potential CAP casualties, and we look to have up to 9 draft picks following the free agency period. If we are going to do it, no time like the present. jmo.

jap

Legend
Aaron: "Will I still be able to kill '9ers, Cards, & 'Hawks?"
Wade: "You will not only slaughter them, you will feast on their OL's and offensive backfields with ketchup, relish, and gray poupon."
Sean: "You will be competing directly with The Mighty One and all other interested teammates for the NFL sack leadership."

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Anyone proposing a change of scheme for Donald will be executed, summarily.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone proposing a change of scheme for Donald will be executed, summarily.

Haha. I agree with you at the core, but also very open to anything that improves the defense.

If Donald's assignments change to improve performance, sign me up!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Haha. I agree with you at the core, but also very open to anything that improves the defense.

If Donald's assignments change to improve performance, sign me up!
I mostly kid of course, but I heard Pat Kirwan(?) suggest that a 3-4 scheme would mean Donald moves to the nose. I about puked. I'm no DC, but that would be about the worst misuse of talent I could imagine. Something like that would make me go berserk.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I mostly kid of course, but I heard Pat Kirwan(?) suggest that a 3-4 scheme would mean Donald moves to the nose. I about puked. I'm no DC, but that would be about the worst misuse of talent I could imagine. Something like that would make me go berserk.

Agree!

(y)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
McVay is smart he isn't going to screw up one of the only good things that has been happening for the Rams, there is way too much to fix that is screwed up.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pat Kirwin knows as much about the Rams as Fisher knew about the opponents...

AD would have to move to the nose...

images

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
no, no....no need to be sorry. With Phillips, I'm sure the defense, wherever Donald plays, will be awesome. I'm actually interested in seeing how the DB's play...I think our front 7 should be very effective in a 3/4, 4/3, Donald in a 3-technique, Donald in a 5-technique, Donald in a 0-technique...Hell, Donald at MLB! I'm not worried about Aaron Donald...
Our team needs to worry about offense. I just watched the last of the Az game...didn't see that last fumble. Almost forgot we had an int & a blocked punt in the first half and we only scored 6 points. That's really hard to do.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd actually embrace a 3/4 hybrid. Based on current talent it might actually make sense to change now, ... one new DE, a rotational NT & an OLB may be enough to make a success of it. Sticking with the 4/3, we still need to upgrade at LDE soon, and another rotational DT. Estimates already have us at near $44.mil of available CAP which doesn't include any potential CAP casualties, and we look to have up to 9 draft picks following the free agency period. If we are going to do it, no time like the present. jmo.
The Rams ran a 3-4 Defense, under John Robinson, from 1983-1990. It was not the most productive "D", not that bad, but no fearsome-foursome either! I don't want us to go back to it. It's not the Rams "Identity" on Defense!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams ran a 3-4 Defense, under John Robinson, from 1983-1990. It was not the most productive "D", not that bad, but no fearsome-foursome either! I don't want us to go back to it. It's not the Rams "Identity" on Defense!!

Well, ... this would be a new era, and a Wade Phillips hybrid 3/4, not Robinson's. I trust Wade will evaluate the talent and work his magic based on what his players do best and how they fit into a program he feels offers the best opportunities for his players to succeed. I'm not as concerned about identity as much as I am about producing a consistent winner. We have our history and we have our horns, ... we will soon be adopting a new State of the Art Football Stadium, creating an unmistakably fresh 'identity', blending some of the old with some of the new. It's kinda like the uniform discussion where so many feel the only proper uniform is the old blue & gold (yellow) or the blue and whites, where I am happy with not only these historical unis, but also most of the newer designs as well.
Give me a winning team ... i'll give you an 'identity'. jmo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, ... this would be a new era, and a Wade Phillips hybrid 3/4, not Robinson's. I trust Wade will evaluate the talent and work his magic based on what his players do best and how they fit into a program he feels offers the best opportunities for his players to succeed. I'm not as concerned about identity as much as I am about producing a consistent winner. We have our history and we have our horns, ... we will soon be adopting a new State of the Art Football Stadium, creating an unmistakably fresh 'identity', blending some of the old with some of the new. It's kinda like the uniform discussion where so many feel the only proper uniform is the old blue & gold (yellow) or the blue and whites, where I am happy with not only these historical unis, but also most of the newer designs as well.
Give me a winning team ... i'll give you an 'identity'. jmo.
As long as our "D" continues the Tradition of making opponents Fear meeting us I'll be happy!!