Donald: "I expect to do big things this year"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Sure glad he feels more comfortable now, last year he looked just so lost !!!

A55VA6

Legend
Donald sounds like one of those guys that cares about nothing other than getting better at football. He's really a special player and I hope he has an even better year this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He sounds Like Quinn did, going into the 2013 Season. And we all remember how that turned out! AWSOME!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Got to love his attitude at this point...I think there is a real good possibility that he might bring the best out of Fairley as well...If that's the case, this line could really be something...Of course I'm always enthused at this point of the off season, just to be let down once the games are for real..I really do think this year has a chance to be different...I'm not ready to say this is a playoff team, but they should certainly make teams pay attention to them every week...9-7, 10-6 would please me...Better than that would probably draw some wood...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sure glad he feels more comfortable now, last year he looked just so lost !!!

Lol, imagine if he actually improved on last year? He'd be unstoppable. Hard to imagine someone doing much better than what he did.

RamBill

Legend
Donald Working to Improve in Year 2
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Donald-Working-to-Improve-in-Year-2/4193d6ba-8758-401d-acee-671b8c8db405

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald made plenty of waves last year when he burst on the scene as a rookie. The Pitt product looked poised to have a special season from his first game when he took down Vikings running back Adrian Peterson for a 6-yard loss, and that potential was realized as he finished 2014 leading all first-year players with 9.0 sacks in addition to his 17.0 tackles for loss.

That’s an excellent season for any defensive tackle -- let alone a rookie who moved into the starting lineup Week 6 against the 49ers. And the national media recognized Donald’s prowess by bestowing him both the Pro Football Writers of America and Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year awards.

“He was kind of a ready-made star,” said fellow defensive lineman Chris Long.

Despite the numerous accolades the defensive tackle has racked up going back to his college days as a Panther, Donald remains relentless in his desire to improve. He said in an interview with stlouisrams.com on Tuesday that in addition to his work in the weight room, he spent a lot of time in the offseason studying both his good and bad film from his DROY season.

“I learned a lot about myself from what I did last year,” Donald said, adding that he wants to get better at his overall game, from pass rushing to stopping the run.

Donald’s teammates and coaches have long extolled his on-field performance, with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams saying last season that one of his goals as a coach was to not disturb the DTs already stellar instincts. That’s a sentiment Long echoed on Tuesday, saying that Donald really has no need to grow.

“For my dollar, he’s the best D-tackle in football as far as rushing the passer and being disruptive. He was like that Day 1 when he got here,” Long said. “He just needs to stay at the same level and keep honing his skills.”

If Donald is to improve as he expects to, one factor will be working with Williams as his coordinator for a second season. The defensive tackle said the continuity aids in knowing expectations for both the coach and players.

“At the same time you learn what he wants, he learns how you play and can go off that,” Donald said. “So you want to build a relationship and have that chemistry with a coach.”

“You get a lot more comfortable,” Donald continued, “and I think you play a little bit faster because there’s a lot of stuff we’ve got, in terms of different schemes and the playbook.”

The continuity extends through Donald’s defensive teammates, as all 11 of the Rams’ regular starters -- and many of the team’s rotation players -- from 2014 remain with the club.

“I think we had a solid year last year, but we’re expecting bigger things from us this year,” Donald said. “We have a better feel for how each other plays out there, so I’m just excited about this upcoming year.”

And so as the Rams continue OTAs through next week, the reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year is looking forward to a significantly improved 2015. Look out, NFL.

“Last year was just the beginning,” Donald said. “It’s the start of something to build off of.”

Big Game

Living The Dream
So he has 9 sacks and 17 tackles for a loss in his "ROOKIE SEASON" and yet he wants to get better and working at his craft. One of the best picks we have had in a long time. Guy is humble and hard working.

If this defense can take the attitude of the 1999 Rams 'Gotta Go to Work" oh man they will be scary. Same can be said about this offense in 2015 too Nick Foles has come in and taken charge i can't wait till the season begins.

Haven't been this pumped up for training camp and presesason games in awhile lol.