Donald already impressing at Rams camp/ESPN/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Donald already impressing at Rams camp
  • By Nick Wagoner | July 24, 2014 6:00:03 PM PDT
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams 2014 training camp hasn't even officially begun, but rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald already is drawing rave reviews.

Taking part in two practices with his rookie teammates earlier this week, Donald was an instant scene-stealer, especially when taking part in some one-on-one pass rush drills.

During a handful of snaps in Wednesday's workout, Donald was so quick off the ball that there were moments it looked like some of the rookie linemen were going at walk-through speed while he was going at full speed. Only No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson seemed to have any success consistently getting his hands on Donald, though even that didn't slow him down much.

"We are definitely learning a lot," Donald said. "When they say everybody in the NFL is good, so far I have been seeing that. Guys can move a lot better and once they get their hands on you, they’ve got you, so I’m just making sure I work on my technique so they can’t grab me and get their hands on me."

nfl_u_aaron-donald_mb_300x200.jpg

Jeff Curry/USA TODAY Sports
Aaron Donald has impressed the Rams coaching staff since he was drafted in the first round in May.
It's probably safe to assume that when the veterans report for the actual first day of training camp on Friday, Donald will see more linemen who do get their hands on him and more consistently serve as more than a glorified speed bump on his way to the quarterback. The true test will come not only against the veteran linemen such as Rodger Saffold and Davin Joseph, but also when the pads come on next week.

Donald played so well during organized team activities that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer named him one of the most impressive players on the field without solicitation. In the time since Donald departed from the offseason program, he doesn't appear to have lost many steps.

Donald took three days off to go jet skiing at his brother Archie's house in Toledo, Ohio. After that, he returned to Pittsburgh for what he calls "barbaric" workouts with a personal trainer. Those workouts included daily sessions consisting of everything from working with bands tied around his ankles, knees, feet and waist, to distance running for endurance, to working with a parachute for resistance training.

All of it was done with the intent to make Donald even quicker.

"(It was) a lot of different things, but helps me being more explosive," Donald said. "We do a lot of stuff, a lot of crazy stuff."

Beyond the conditioning and physical work, Donald also paid his usual precise detail to working with his hands. It's been a borderline obsession for Donald since his time at Penn Hills High, just outside of Pittsburgh. There, Penn Hills defensive line coach Demond Gibson offered regular reminders of the importance of hand technique for defensive linemen.

Gibson knew the value of hand usage as well as anyone after a career in which he played college ball at Pittsburgh and spent some time with theNew Orleans Saints in the NFL as well as stints in the CFL and AFL.

With Gibson helping him hone his technique even after going on to college, Donald has always been advanced in his ability to use his hands to gain an advantage. Although Donald is small compared to other defensive tackles at 6-feet and 285 pounds, his heavy hands combine with the aforementioned quickness and leverage to make him a tough block.

"It’s great (to have) hand speed, but at the same time I’ve got the jitters to juke, do a little move and use your hands, it always is going to get those big guys off you," Donald said.

For a player who thoroughly dominated at the college level, Donald now faces his greatest challenge. The Rams are hopeful that the No. 13 overall pick in May's draft can contribute right away, even if he's not technically listed as a starter. In need of pass-rush help from interior of the line, Donald should get plenty of opportunities to get after quarterbacks right away, and he might even be able to avoid the constant double-teams teams threw at him at Pitt.

While Donald's offseason performance has been enough to draw the attention of coaches and teammates, the soft-spoken Donald has remained focused on the task at hand.

"It’s a good thing just to know the coaches are starting to see me on the field," Donald said.
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9850/donald-already-impressing-at-rams-camp

Alan

Legend
I've been complaining about Langford's play for the last two years and now I think we're all going to see why and what a really good DT can do when working alongside Brockers. This is going to be a fun year. :banana:

SierraRam

Recreational User
"Donald took three days off to go jet skiing at his brother Archie's house in Toledo, Ohio. After that, he returned to Pittsburgh for what he calls "barbaric" workouts with a personal trainer."

Everything about this kid says "Winner." I can't wait to see who's going to be the first RB to take a hand off and have AD blast him before he looks up. It's going to happen several times. Quick, Strong & Smart!

Alan

Legend
RamzFanz as bewildered as I:
Still shocked he fell to the Rams.
Totally. Maybe it was the position. The next DT (Easley) didn't go until #29. Only 3 were taken in the 2nd round. Only 1 OG was taken in the first two rounds. Either it was a perceived lack of talent or the NFL just doesn't value the center of either the O-line or the D-line. Mind boggling to me.

jjab360

Legend
I've been complaining about Langford's play for the last two years and now I think we're all going to see why and what a really good DT can do when working alongside Brockers. This is going to be a fun year. :banana:
I think Langford has been pretty good, arguably just as good as Brockers the past couple of years. The problem is when you have two guys that are suited to play the two-gap NT role playing inside, you're not going to get much penetration from the interior.

Donald is a whole different type of beast who's going to add another dimension to an already terrifying pass rush.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Iron Sharpens Iron.

Donald will test Saffold, along with the rest of the #1's on the D- line making the Oline be sharp.....Minnesota Viking in Week One, and I pity the fools!:):owned:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Ditto. As the draft moved along and got close to the 10th pick I kept waiting for his name to be called. Then when the Giants were up I thought there was no way they pass on him unless for maybe Martin. Was shocked when they chose Beckham, and extremely happy. Was so nervous that the Rams might somehow pass up Donald, but alas, they made Ram nation happy.

I think Donald was a pick more fans collectively liked and agreed with than any other pick in the Fisher era.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Donald is at least 290-292 right now. Maybe up 5-7 pounds from his off-season workouts.

"I think Langford has been pretty good, arguably just as good as Brockers the past couple of years. The problem is when you have two guys that are suited to play the two-gap NT role playing inside, you're not going to get much penetration from the interior.

Donald is a whole different type of beast who's going to add another dimension to an already terrifying pass rush."

---------------------in response, Rams don't 2-gap, neither Brockers or Langford are two-gappers. The play left and right. On occasion, on the backside of the under defense a defensive end will have to play two gaps, but that's away from the play, and all "under" defenses do that.

Donald will play both left and right this year, unless he flat-out beats out Langford. But he will take lots of snaps from Sims. When Rams used the 3 DE set wit Hayes and Sims at DT they were effective, but with Donald's skills I think Sims will lose some snaps. Of course, Donald will gobble up all of Cudjo's snaps and Conraths, too. I doubt Conrath makes the team.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 with different thoughts:
I think Langford has been pretty good, arguably just as good as Brockers the past couple of years. The problem is when you have two guys that are suited to play the two-gap NT role playing inside, you're not going to get much penetration from the interior.

Donald is a whole different type of beast who's going to add another dimension to an already terrifying pass rush.
You're one of many who disagree with my assessment of his play and obviously I think differently but I do agree with your thoughts put forth in your second sentence.
There were two Lankfords in both 2012 and 2013. There was the first half of the season Lankford and the second half of the season Lankford. Had he played better in the first half of both seasons I wouldn't have been complaining about him. Still, as we both alluded to, he didn't really work/fit well with Brockers.

I sure agree with your last thought though. :party: :popcorn:

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I was just wondering, why hasn't Houston been getting all the rave reviews as the possible No.1 line? Where's this Clowney guy and what has he been doing in this off time? Sorry, but I have been a Donald fan since my very first post. I want to see him tackle a quarterback and a running back at the same time again. Hawks or 9'ers, doesn't matter which. Both would be better. Still, any word on the clown?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I think Langford and Brockers fit well, making the team have the twin towers insidle and it will continue, though to a lesser degree in 2014. Carrington will take a lot of snaps but Donald will take all of Cudjo's snaps and will be a huge upgrade to him.

People forget in 2013, Rams defense held opposing offenses to 3.40 years per carry 12 times in 16 games. That set the team record, the best the Fearsome Foursome did it was 11 times in a 14-game season. Yes, the Rams had 4 poor games as well. But 2 of those were very early and they got that mended.

So, I think the interior of Brockers and Langford did well, but sure, I would always want improvement, and Donald will upgrade Cudjo and will likely end up starting sooner rather than later and Carrington will upgrade Conrath.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

I thought Langford's 2013 was much better than his 2012...I feel you though....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I know it's these players time off and the coaches can't encase them in plastic bubbles, but this kind off stuff always makes me nervous......."Donald took three days off to go jet skiing" :unsure:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Memphis and Jrry32 loved this guy and wanted very badly in horns. Glad Donald is a Ram!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

I want to see all 5 of them lined up together mixed and matched sometimes. Heard they might set Donald at end in some packages. Bet Peytons booming "Omaha" might be a few octaves higher after looking across the line.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

You and me both. For years it seemed as though the football gods hated us ... but the were certainly smiling on us this draft day. I had Donald pegged for Tampa Bay as he seems like the perfect DT for Lovie's D.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I want to see all 5 of them lined up together mixed and matched sometimes. Heard they might set Donald at end in some packages. Bet Peytons booming "Omaha" might be a few octaves higher after looking across the line.
they might. They also might use 3DL and Quinn and Long as LBers in a "Ranger" package. Or 2 DTs and AO and JL as DEs and Long and Quinn in both A gaps, with both rushing, one rushing or both dropping . . .

jjab360

Legend
jjab360 said:
I'm in the getting great players camp. Donald is almost as can't miss as any player in this draft.

jjab360 said:
His first step and initial quickness is absurd and insane. Combine that with a strong swim move and elite closing speed and this guy's going to burst through some NFL O-lines and make plays. Dominated the senior bowl practices and the game against future NFL O-linemen.
Not to toot my own horn but...;)