Don Banks has the Rams taking Poe at #6

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Poe did really well at the combine, he really opened some eyes.
Now just how many sacks did he have? TFL's? Seems like against the talent he faced he should spent the whole game in the backfield.
My cable package for col. football had a bunch of his games, his game doesn't add up to his physical abilities. especially in the 2nd half of games.
Comparable pick for him would be Jason Smith. either your going to get a pro bowl guy or just a guy.

I'll pass on him , more sure and complete players on the board at #6.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
Now just how many sacks did he have? TFL's? Seems like against the talent he faced he should spent the whole game in the backfield.
My cable package for col. football had a bunch of his games, his game doesn't add up to his physical abilities. especially in the 2nd half of games.
Comparable pick for him would be Jason Smith. either your going to get a pro bowl guy or just a guy.

I see most of what you are saying, but Jason Smith as comparable...Don't see that at all. Jason is a very average to below average in some categories at OT in terms of weight, strength, size, speed, and arm length.

I think coaching and conditioning answer most of your questions. A coach would die to get their hands on a guy like this.

Who do you think will have a better career at that position in this draft with coaching?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

I see most of what you are saying, but Jason Smith as comparable...Don't see that at all. Jason is a very average to below average in some categories at OT in terms of weight, strength, size, speed, and arm length.

I think coaching and conditioning answer most of your questions. A coach would die to get their hands on a guy like this.

Who do you think will have a better career at that position in this draft with coaching?

My comparison of Smith and Poe is based on their college game play and how they would grade out on film. Both would on film be 2nd round. Curry out of the 09 draft was the same. Gholsten did have good grades on film and had the stats to back it up, but he was a scheme guy. Another thing Smith and Poe have in common is neither have ever been properly positioned coached on what playing football is about.

Poe was not even in the conversation till he blew up the combine. Before then he was a NT or 5 tech. While i was wowed by Poe at the combine and I am a combine guy for skill players....I just wonder where that was on the field. To me he played slower than he is.

Maybe he's the next Raji. Maybe he's not. Though I do think at worst he would be a solid player within a season. I put Brockers in the same boat as Poe, drafting for upside.
But between the two I would take Brockers over Poe.
The other DT's i like are Still, Cox and Ta' amu

There is no DL player that I would want to take at #6. The only exception would be for Ingram. He's violent, not dirty but violent in how he attacks. And he can make plays. Just have to find a spot for him. If Quinn can play DE in a 4-3 he can too.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Did I hear right that Poe had 30 tackles and 1 sack last season? Surely that's not right or his name wouldn't come up when talking about a first round pick, much less a top 10?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
Did I hear right that Poe had 30 tackles and 1 sack last season? Surely that's not right or his name wouldn't come up when talking about a first round pick, much less a top 10?

No that's right. Only 1 TFL too.

The system he played in ask him to eat up blocks. Something he does exceptionally well, but something that negatively impacted his stat. A lot of talent evaluators look at his game tape, along with his freakish athleticism, and believe he can become a impact DT. Warren Sapp has even said that Poe reminds him of himself.

Im with you tho. I have a hard time picking him in the top 10. Particularly because you have to combine his tape and measurables to extrapolate the NFL player he can be. Im not a fan of extrapolation. I like to see the prospect demonstrate what he is going to be asked to do, in the NFL, in College

Im ok with pick guys like him later in the draft, but when you have a top 10 pick, you have got to get a good player from it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

Jason Smith is an athletic TE turned OT. Who was damn good @ Baylor. His athleticism and potential made him the #2 pick. Monroe was already where he was gonna be and Andre Smith had way too many character issues.

It's just kinda scary to think that the Rams have a chance to get a RB compared to Adrian Peterson, a WR whose talent his compared w/ Terrell Owens, or a shutdown CB and yet might take a project DT b/c of the combine.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Warren Sapp falls in love with a defensive linemen every year. Just like Marshal has his running back, Torry has his WR, and Kurt has his QB. It's their job. I remember listening to Sapp tell us how big of a bust J.J. Watt and Ryan Kerrigan were going to be about this time last year.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Username said:
Warren Sapp falls in love with a defensive linemen every year. Just like Marshal has his running back, Torry has his WR, and Kurt has his QB. It's their job. I remember listening to Sapp tell us how big of a bust J.J. Watt and Ryan Kerrigan were going to be about this time last year.

Agreed, I don't let any of Warren Sapp's opinions hold much water but that doesn't mean Poe may not turn out to be a monster in the NFL. I wish I had that crystal ball.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
Username said:

Agreed, I don't let any of Warren Sapp's opinions hold much water but that doesn't mean Poe may not turn out to be a monster in the NFL. I wish I had that crystal ball.
Either do I, it was just an observation. I form my own opinions based on watching players play in real games, and then I like to see if their measurables hold up. Sometimes I see their measurables first, and then have to go back and watch tape. Several coaches GM's, and scouts like him too. For instance, I was a Chris Long guy, and not a Dorsey or Gholston guy, etc, etc.

I'm not a stat guy, anyone who knows me knows that, I could give a rat's ass about them. I did a lot of work studying the guy, and thought I'd share, but I'm done, I won't say anything else about him.

I'd appreciate if you guys share personal knowledge of your player evals, and if you've seen guys play live, like if they were on your college team, etc. I like seeing different views.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
Everything ok Doc?
Dude, it's all cool. I love this time of year.

I agree. It's like being a teenager again. Anything seems possible. The Rams are undefeated and tied for first!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
Everything ok Doc?

I agree. It's like being a teenager again. Anything seems possible. The Rams are undefeated and tied for first!
With the right pieces the puzzle that is the Rams will come together nicely.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
Everything ok Doc?

Me too. I respect that you have the balls to put some confidence into a questionable player.

Rams finally have the chance to make this thing right. I just hope they do their homework. This 6 pick is already scaring me. A lot of different scenarios again. I love it! :mrgreen:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
The knock is that they thought he took some plays off, and wasn't a relentless end of the whistle guy.

When the player is 350 lbs I can live with this evalutation lol.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:
The knock is that they thought he took some plays off, and wasn't a relentless end of the whistle guy.

When the player is 350 lbs I can live with this evalutation lol.
It's the knock on EVERY 350 lb guy. :bign:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Love Thompson in the 2nd, I have him in some of my mocks scenarios.