Dominique Easley looks for fresh start with the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160607/dominique-easley-looks-for-fresh-start-with-la-rams

Dominique Easley looks for fresh start with LA Rams
By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

AR-160609656.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Defensive tackle Dominique Easley, let go by the New England Patriots after two years, is looking to prove himself with the Rams. (Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

OXNARD >> “Locker room cancer.”

“Disrespectful and irresponsible.”

“Entitled.”

This is how Dominique Easley was described eight weeks ago in the Boston Globe, with anonymous sources lambasting the former first-round pick shortly after the Patriots released him. The article detailed a turbulent two-year stint in New England, one marked by clashes with the team over his rehab routine, reliability and other off-field issues.

Combine that with concerns over his long-term health, and his sudden availability as a free agent becomes more understandable.

Which is how the Los Angeles Rams, looking to add depth to their line, found themselves a low-risk addition in the form of a 6-foot-2, 285-pound defensive tackle. As for Easley, he gets a chance to put his NFL career back on track.

Asked about the Globe article during the Rams’ OTAs, the former Florida standout initially sounded unperturbed: “People are people. I can’t be mad at who they are. If they feel like that, they feel like that.”

But a minute or so later, the 24-year-old’s voice took on more of an edge.

“They don’t know who I am,” he said. “They didn’t grow up with me. They didn’t live with me. They didn’t live through things that I’ve been through. So how are you going to tell me who I am?”

To be fair, Easley has his share of defenders too. In an interview with the Boston Herald, Patriots defensive tackle Alan Branch disputed the “locker room cancer” description and praised Easley’s work ethic. Third-year Rams cornerback Marcus Roberson, who also played with Easley in college, said the two of them had only mutual respect for each other in the Florida locker room.

More than a week into OTAs, the Rams’ biggest defensive star also likes what he’s seen of Easley.

“He’s an explosive guy, and he’s been making plays,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “He can pass rush, and he can stop the run. He’s an extra piece, a great piece for this defensive line. He’s going to help us a lot.”

Easley wasn’t entirely surprised when the Patriots cut ties with him, but denied that there was any friction between him and the rest of the team. Instead, he cited his medical history: tearing both his ACLs with the Gators, as well as knee and quadriceps injuries in 2014 and 2015. Even in limited action, however, he has shown flashes of promise.

While his statsheet lists only 24 tackles and three sacks over two seasons, those numbers may not fully capture Easley’s impact. On a per-snap basis, Pro Football Focus graded him as the most productive pass-rushing defensive tackle in the league last season — ahead of even Donald, whom the site ranked as its best overall player.

That potential is what made Easley an attractive option for the Rams, particularly at a one-year contract worth $600,000 — none of it guaranteed. They don’t need him to necessarily play like the No. 29 overall pick he was once; they would just like him to become a useful part of the rotation.

As for his reputation, Easley understands if some think he’s trouble.

“That’s what life is now,” he said. “Media, social media. What the fans read, they kind of believe until you show them otherwise. That’s the only thing I can do, is just show them otherwise.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That’s what life is now,” he said. “Media, social media. What the fans read, they kind of believe until you show them otherwise. That’s the only thing I can do, is just show them otherwise.”
Oh so true.....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will say this if there ever was a defense designed specifically to limelight the skills & abilities that this young man has been blessed with......its the 2016 Gregg Williams version! If the Rams catch a break with Easley & he does remain healthy....boy oh boy were are in for a Really Big Show in LA this fall. I have seen what he can do when he played @ UF....it fits everything we do here with this defense. Having him & Donald working over the interior slow motion OG's in their face is going to be sad for our opponent's.

As we know the big Key is....Easley must remain physically sound! He has not done that. As you can tell I am excited over this low cost but highly questionable free agent sign.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Easley must remain physically sound! He has not done that.
Pretty sure at this point...he's close to bone on bone in his knees....probably headed for micro-fracture surgery in a couple more years....He will get rest in this rotation...if he's still as powerful, and I believe he is, he'll do fine Boni...Looks like LTP has been replaced unless he plays balls out....and I just read a piece on Longacre....he's rated pretty high by PFF:palm::rolleyes::thinking::notsure:, and while he shows potential, sorta like Westbrooks (who REALLY looks good in pre-season), I think these signings (Easley, Coples, Thomas) are the end of their Rams careers.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Pretty sure at this point...he's close to bone on bone in his knees....probably headed for micro-fracture surgery in a couple more years....He will get rest in this rotation...if he's still as powerful, and I believe he is, he'll do fine Boni...Looks like LTP has been replaced unless he plays balls out....and I just read a piece on Longacre....he's rated pretty high by PFF:palm::rolleyes::thinking::notsure:, and while he shows potential, sorta like Westbrooks (who REALLY looks good in pre-season), I think these signings (Easley, Coples, Thomas) are the end of their Rams careers.
I might be wrong but didn't we add both of them to the PS in the beginning of the season? Maybe we can manage to do that again. I'm very excited to see what Easley can do in our defense

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Looks like LTP has been replaced unless he plays balls out....and I just read a piece on Longacre....he's rated pretty high by PFF:palm::rolleyes::thinking::notsure:, and while he shows potential, sorta like Westbrooks (who REALLY looks good in pre-season), I think these signings (Easley, Coples, Thomas) are the end of their Rams careers.

I'm thinking Trinca-Pasat, Westbrooks & Longacre will be judged on their own merit competing against some of the newer recruits like Seau Jr, etc.

I see Easley as Fairley's rotational replacement, Coples moving behind Hayes after the departure of Chris Long, Sims remaining behind Quinn and Thomas replaces the already departed Doug Worthington as our 3'rd & short/goaline defender. Unless beaten out by a rookie, I believe LTP, Westbrooks & Longacre will be returning. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see Easley is a different way @ this time. I sure do not see Waufle & Simmons having any desire to play a 280 pound Easley behind Brockers Nose Tackle position. It appears Snead signed up a 335 plus pound monster who easily be a walking NFL defensive line all by himself in Thomas add in the 326 pound Brockers to handle the NT post. Fairley did see a ton of action in that NT post often last season & Fairley was every bit as good as Brockers in the relief of him. Of course Fairley had about 20 plus pounds & a few inches on smaller Easley. I just remember that Easley had a great one season starting in the Rob Quinn type position @ RDE @ UF. Fairley will never play DE. Easley can play some DE if need be.

Matt Longacre can be placed on the Rams PS this season when or if he passes waivers. I would not be surprised if Matt Longacre is snatched up quickly & will not be available for the Rams to utilize him there. Matt in limited games of action had a couple of very good games he had 4 tackles alone in the Vikings game as a back up. Matt has some very good ability to be in the right spot & fight through the blocks much better than expected for a light 260 DE. Matt will play in the NFL somewhere. That why I think we saw Snead sign up 2 UDFA DE's Ian Seau & Morgan Fox to fight it out for that PS DE spot. Matt will be gone if he does not make the 53 player roster.

IMO Ethan Westbrooks is the #6 Ram DL'er. I do not hold up the banner for Coples higher than Ethan's here as many members favor. Ethan if played @ either DE posts instead @ DT where he has had most of his time, will have more of an impact for this Rams team than Coples will. If given a chance @ DE,I expect Ethan to have a breakout season!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is how Dominique Easley was described eight weeks ago in the Boston Globe, with anonymous sources lambasting the former first-round pick shortly after the Patriots released him. The article detailed a turbulent two-year stint in New England, one marked by clashes with the team over his rehab routine, reliability and other off-field issues.
I just love " Anonymous Sources", Don't you!?!:rimshot:(n)

We'll see how he plays when we meet up with the Cheatriots this year!!:D