Dolphins rally in fourth quarter to beat Rams 14-13/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Dolphins rally in fourth quarter to beat Rams 14-13

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1b01410f-9b37-5bb4-a525-221864f517e4.html

The reserves of the Miami Dolphins rallied from a 13-0 deficit to score two fourth-quarter touchdowns against the reserves of the Rams to post a 14-13 victory in preseason action Thursday night in Miami.

Neither team used many of its starters as the Rams finish the preseason at 1-3. Miami closes out a 3-1 preseason.

The Dolphins scored go-ahead touchdown with 6:15 to play on a 22-yard pass from Seth Lobato to Matt Hazel.

Next up is the final cuts. NFL teams must cut down from 75 to 53 by Saturday at 3 p.m. The Rams will open the season Sunday, Sept. 7 against the Minnesota Vikings at the Edward Jones Dome.

RAMS UP 13-7 EARLY IN FOURTH QUARTER

The Rams stretched their lead to 13-0 when Greg Zuerlein booted a 53-yard field goal with 5:37 to play in the third quarter.

The drive, led by rookie Garrett Gilbert, featured solid running from Trey Watts and a 15-yard pass from Gilbert to fellow rookie Austin Franklin

Miami broke through in the first minute of the fourth quarter, making it 13-7 on a 5-yard scoring run by Daniel Thomas.

RAMS UP 10-0 AT THE HALF

The Rams stretched their lead to 10-0, thanks to a turnover. Six plays after rookie E.J. Gaines of Mizzou came up with a bobbled pass for an interception at the Miami 38, Austin Davis found Austin Pettis on a slant route for an 11-yard touchdown. Pettis made a nice catch on a low throw near the goal line to make it 10-0 with 8:14 to play in the first half.

The key play on the drive was a 15-yard pass from Davis to Stedman Bailey on a roll-out play to the right.

Late in the opening half, rookie free agent defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks came up with a sack.

The Rams followed up with a drive that stalled near midfield. Greg Zuerlein attempted a 63-yard field goal _ his career-best is 60 _ and had the distance, but his kick hooked just to the left.

Some halftime stats of interest:

• Austin Davis has completed 12 of 19 passes for 162 yards and a touchdown.

• Trey Watts has nine carries for 41 yards.

• Eight different players have caught passes for the Rams. Top receivers are Chris Givens (2 catches, 44 yards), Austin Pettis (3 catches, 28 yards) and Stedman Bailey (2 catches, 25 yards).

RAMS TAKE 3-0 LEAD EARLY IN SECOND QUARTER

The Rams grabbed a 3-0 lead as Greg Zuerlein booted a 49-yard field goal to cap the visitors' third drive of the game with 11:46 to play in the first half. The kick wrapped up an eight-play, 50-yard drive for the Rams.

The Rams and Dolphins were scoreless through the first quarter.

The Rams started Austin Davis at quarterback and he has played well. He completed a key third-down pass Stedman Bailey on the first series and made a similar 20-yard pass to Chris Givens on third-down play from the St. Louis 2.

He closed out the first quarter with a 24-yard pass to Givens on a drag route across the middle.

Davis has completed 5 of 9 passes for 70 yards. Rookie free agent back Trey Watts has eight carries for 35 yards.

RAMS, DOLPHINS IN PRESEASON FINALE

The Rams will wrap up the preseason tonight, taking on the Dolphins in Miami.

The Rams are 1-2 while the Dolphins enter tonight's action at 2-1. The teams have played four times in the preseason with both clubs coming away with two wins.

In regular-season play, Miami leads the series 10-2.

It will be a big night for a lot of the young players on both sides looking to earn a spot on the 53-man rosters. Rams coach Jeff Fisher has said the young players will play _ and play early _ in tonight's contest.

The Rams open the regular season on Sunday, Sept. 7, in a 12 p.m. game against the Minnesota Vikings at the Edward Jones Dome.

The Rams are in white jerseys and blue pants.

Among those not dressed for tonight's game are offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, defensive back Brandon McGee, linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, defensive tackle Matt Conrath, defensive end Eugene Sims, cornerback Trumaine Johnson and offensive lineman Barrett Jones.

Rams legend Isaac Bruce is in the house; he was born in nearby Fort Lauderdale.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Good night for Austin Davis, and some relief for Fisher, I would think.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah Davis is back to who we originally thought he was .IMO he's shown better than either of the Cleveland QB's,that's a team in trouble

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Davis is OK. That third down throw he missed sucked, but he threw a great ball while the team was backed up. He's another Clemens, I'd say. Clemens actually is looking good in PS, though.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Davis is OK. That third down throw he missed sucked, but he threw a great ball while the team was backed up. He's another Clemens, I'd say. Clemens actually is looking good in PS, though.

Actually think Davis is better than Clemens. His arm is a lot stronger and he doesn't run just to run. Yes he still have things to work on but he has looked a lot better than some wanna give him credit for.

lockdnram21

Legend

I know he has a couple throws he wish he could take back. He still could improve

A55VA6

Legend
I'm just uneasy with the thought of Austin Davis having to play in the regular season. Even more so with Gilbert. I think at some point we might need to sign another veteran. Let's hope Hill stays healthy all 16 (or more)

Slappy967

Starter
I think Davis when he played with the ones against Cleveland showed his true colors. Les Snead said it best tonight when he said last season Davis played like a guy trying not to lose the backup QB job and that this season he has played like a guy who wants to win. I feel he is more than adequate when surrounded by talent.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Actually think Davis is better than Clemens. His arm is a lot stronger and he doesn't run just to run. Yes he still have things to work on but he has looked a lot better than some wanna give him credit for.

I like your take, I hope he continues to grow as a player. He had really solid stats.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like your take, I hope he continues to grow as a player. He had really solid stats.

That's one thing that Faulk and Snead touch upon. They both talked about his growth and it has been noticeable. Even only if it is the preseason. He still has a ways to go but I have been encouraged enough to think that he will continue to grow and improve

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree. It seemed like a tough choice for the team as to who to keep - Clemens or Davis. Here it is another year later and I think they would have chosen him ahead of KC - period.