Does Wade’s D get “finished” this offseason?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I keep hearing people talking about putting Ogletree at OLB in the 3-4 and having him rush the passer. Guys, an OLB in the 3-4 is basically a DE. Ogletree would be demolished trying to set the edge in the run game and would be EASILY eliminated as a pass rusher by the most rudimentary left or right tackle.

You might as well put Joyner at DE while you're at it. Please please please stop talking about moving Ogletree to OLB. This is not a 4-3 defense!

And this isnt madden either... Thats the only place roster moves like that work

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Absolutely. The offense really only needs for the young guys to continue their development, that and some quality depth added to the OL. If it wasn't for Hemingway returning from IR, I would also have suggested seeking another TE, probably as a free agent, but that isn't going to be necessary.
The defense was largely left out of the building plan for Wade Phillips this last season, so expect that to be flipped in the 2018 off-season. Every defensive unit should receive a boost, at NT, OLB, ILB & CB. Our Safeties may be the only untouched group, but we'll have to see on that. Just re-sign guys like Easley, Joyner, Cody Davis, Robey-Coleman, Walker & Isaiah Johnson, and along with the remaining defensive players we have a great base to build upon, ... and Wade/Snead will get it right. jmo.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
At the middle of the year I thought we needed to upgrade our DBs but now I think we're okay with what we got but I would passed up a Earl Thomas if he was available but I can live with what we have. Lbers, we need help. Tree better off outside. Barron last couple games he didn't look the same. Could use help on DL. I know we had couple guys out so maybe not so critical. Sill like to see more speed at wideout, scary speed.

Psycho_X

Legend
What they'll probably do is cut/trade Barron, and move Tree over with a complementary ILB who brings more physicality and tackling ability.

Agree, that really is their only option at this point. Ogeltree just got a fairly large new contract so we can't cut him. Problem is Barron is better than Tree at almost everything when healthy (which is his problem). So not sure how that improves us overall. Unless we can land a real stud to step up and be a sure tackling monster in the middle. But neither Tree or Barron can play olb'er in 3-4 so there's only two spots for either of them to go.

As far as strict the contract/business side of football, dictates that Barron is the one who needs to go if the Rams think change is needed. According to spotrac we'd save about $7 million in cap with $3 mil in dead $ if we cut Barron this offseason... where as we'd actually lose about $6 million in cap room by simply cutting Tree. Tree's contract is basically impossible to get rid of until at least 2019. Are there any stud ILB'ers we could grab in free agency this year? Haven't kept up with it yet.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Problem is Barron is better than Tree at almost everything when healthy (which is his problem

Exactly that is what I have seen all year. it kills me that we are going to lose him and keep AO. AO takes plays off or gets confused cant figure it out.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I keep hearing people talking about putting Ogletree at OLB in the 3-4 and having him rush the passer. Guys, an OLB in the 3-4 is basically a DE. Ogletree would be demolished trying to set the edge in the run game and would be EASILY eliminated as a pass rusher by the most rudimentary left or right tackle.

You might as well put Joyner at DE while you're at it. Please please please stop talking about moving Ogletree to OLB. This is not a 4-3 defense!

Good points.

I like 52 rushing in the A gap like he does now just fine.

How about an off-season to work on the finer points of this D? I just don't have the anxiety about the ILB's that many seem to.

…..

Legend
I like where we are at if we go bigger at ILB. Unfortunately, that may lead to us needing to let go of Barron or Tree, or move Barron back to safety. If we do that.....man we have one hell of a rotation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think, when it comes to Free Agency the Rams will have there pick! A lot of Players will be interested in Playing for McVay and Phillip and 'Bone's 'Too!!(y)(y);):D

WoodsideRam

Rookie
I would target free agent NTs. There are a few who are over the age of 30 who could be good rotational guys. Haloti Ngata and Kyle Williams come to mind. Although I think Ngata was injured this year. I’d like to see vets in that NT spot. We’re close to being real good. We’ve got a young core so I don’t have a problem with some plug and play older vets here and there.

Would like to get bigger at that ILB spot. If we can get thicker up the middle I think we can take that next step to elite defense. I feel like we were susceptible to the big play runs at times.

I would seriously consider letting TruJo walk. Not because I don’t like him. He’s an above average corner. I just think we’re going to need that money to sign Donald. Have to make some hard choices in regards to our own free agents.

I would target an OT with our first pick in the draft. Have to start looking down the road. Whitworth is not going to play forever. If not OT, then best available edge rusher.

Then target some corners. Would like to come out of the draft with at least two.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Aquib talib is a name that comes to mind , can't see him sticking around for a rebuild in Denver . He would help us tremendously and has experience with wade .

Ram65

Legend
It could be a big redo of the defense. Barron's injury concerns.TruJo's contract. Barwin is slow. Quinn not producing to his contract numbers. Free agents NRC and Joyner. It's going to take some time before we know who stays and who goes. Hill looked good and that helps.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Problem is Barron is better than Tree at almost everything when healthy (which is his problem).

I think you're overlooking Barron's inability to beat blocks. That alone makes him inferior to Tree in my book, which is saying a lot since Tree also has a hard time beating them.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
NT and CBs are a must this offseason on defense considering how susceptible our run defense is and how thin our secondary can get. We got quite lucky this season with only a few key injuries but there's no guarantee that'll continue next. I'm intrigued with Da'Ron Payne this year at NT

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We're going to see this offseason if McVay is a complete coach when it comes to both sides of the ball.

Or is his only focus going to be about the "O"

He isn't the GM, so it's not his call though I'm sure he has input he doesn't have final say.

Which is fine IMO, Snead is effective.

AO is fine, and while they need to make a move on defense that move isn't getting rid of him.

Add two LB's, a guy up front, and someone to replace TJ and the D is fine.

They can easily spend most of the efforts and picks and money on that side of the ball. The O doesn't need help.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If DaRon Payne falls to us, we have to draft him. That guy between Donald and Brockers fixes our run defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NT and CBs are a must this offseason on defense considering how susceptible our run defense is and how thin our secondary can get. We got quite lucky this season with only a few key injuries but there's no guarantee that'll continue next. I'm intrigued with Da'Ron Payne this year at NT

DaRon Payne might be the best DL that Saban has produced.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If DaRon Payne falls to us, we have to draft him. That guy between Donald and Brockers fixes our run defense.

Welcome to the Payne train.

Now all we gotta do is get @Mackeyser to see the wisdom in adding that MFer to the middle of our DL. :whistle:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, I think in the first we're definitely looking BPA within reason (ie, no QB, RB and possibly WR or safety). Anything else is pretty much fair game unless we trade down. If it's a DT, pass rusher, corner, hell-even-tackle, I think you look at taking them. If this Payne guy is the best guy left on the board, go get him.