Does Wade Phillips need a pricy ILB in draft of FA??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm just gonna go back to the last two iterations of his defense:

Wade Phillips ILBs:

Denver:
Danny Trevathan 6th rnd
Brandon Marshall 5th rnd
Todd Davis Undrafted
Andra Davis 5th rnd

Houston:
Brian Cushing 1st rnd
Darryl Sharpton 4th rnd
Tim Dobbins 5th rnd
Keyaron Fox 3rd rnd
Jo Mayes 6th rnd

I'm sure this isn't an exhaustive list of the LBs he used in the last two defenses but I think I've hit on most of the starters. Please add any I've missed. I would argue though that we will not look to fill ILB with a high end draft pick or a big FA ILB pickup. My guess is that we may pick up an ILB in the second wave of FA (per Bonsignore) or grab a few ILB's late in the draft.

This is a separate post but my guess is they keep Barron for his leadership in the linebacker room and ability when healthy. Honestly, if the guy could keep healthy, I think he's a star for us at that weak-ILB spot. It's simply due to his health and ability to hold up that I'd consider cutting him.

Sure, if some crazy good ILB is there in the 1st, I guess the Rams take a look but my guess is that all things being equal they take a similarly rated player at 23 at another position of need (say OLB - which will be hard to fill in FA or later in the draft) or look to trade down if ILB is the BPA at 23.

Just some Sat morning thoughts m'boys!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hope our last FA signing is that ILB from Tennessee .
I don't want to sign too many free agents because that really never seems to work out that well for most teams

jap

Legend
Barron may have been worn down at least partially because we need a more solid presence at NT. Boosting that area alone may help dramatically in keeping our resident "Dr. Death" clean of opposing OL blockers.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, they will sign Zach Brown, good fit for a 3-4, loved by LB Coach Joe Barry and McVay knows him and covers better than Davis although the Redskins might extend him before he hits the market.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
IMO, they will sign Zach Brown, good fit for a 3-4, loved by LB Coach Joe Barry and McVay knows him and covers better than Davis although the Redskins might extend him before he hits the market.

I would love getting Brown, but I don't know what that price tag would be. I imagine he's finally gonna get paid big.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would love getting Brown, but I don't know what that price tag would be. I imagine he's finally gonna get paid big.

Good point, but would seem like a perfect fit, most likely, the Redskins pay him.

Ram65

Legend
Danny Trevathan 6th rnd
Brandon Marshall 5th rnd

Brian Cushing 1st rnd

Nice write up.

The Broncos did a good job scouting Trevathan and Marshall. Trevathan was all over the field in Denver. Has an above average rating with the Bears on PFF 84.7 #12 Lber. Marshall and Denver had a down year. Cushing played very good from the start as a 1st round pick. Recently cut after PED suspension.

That Denver defense was loaded with talent. Rams could try later round picks since they currently have all those 6th rounders. Starting to look like they keep Barron. LB Coach Joe Barry was running the Lber drills at the combine so he got a great view of the draft prospects. As @den-the-coach coach pointed out he has a good knowledge of Zac Brown.

At this point it's hard to narrow down where the Rams go for ILBer help. I'm hoping Landry is available at 23 for edge rusher which is very much needed. The Rams probably have a few options (draft players) should they not sign a free agent like Brown or Williamson. At this point nothing would surprise me.