Does Wade Phillips need a pricy ILB in draft of FA??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm just gonna go back to the last two iterations of his defense:

Wade Phillips ILBs:

Denver:
Danny Trevathan 6th rnd
Brandon Marshall 5th rnd
Todd Davis Undrafted
Andra Davis 5th rnd

Houston:
Brian Cushing 1st rnd
Darryl Sharpton 4th rnd
Tim Dobbins 5th rnd
Keyaron Fox 3rd rnd
Jo Mayes 6th rnd

I'm sure this isn't an exhaustive list of the LBs he used in the last two defenses but I think I've hit on most of the starters. Please add any I've missed. I would argue though that we will not look to fill ILB with a high end draft pick or a big FA ILB pickup. My guess is that we may pick up an ILB in the second wave of FA (per Bonsignore) or grab a few ILB's late in the draft.

This is a separate post but my guess is they keep Barron for his leadership in the linebacker room and ability when healthy. Honestly, if the guy could keep healthy, I think he's a star for us at that weak-ILB spot. It's simply due to his health and ability to hold up that I'd consider cutting him.

Sure, if some crazy good ILB is there in the 1st, I guess the Rams take a look but my guess is that all things being equal they take a similarly rated player at 23 at another position of need (say OLB - which will be hard to fill in FA or later in the draft) or look to trade down if ILB is the BPA at 23.

Just some Sat morning thoughts m'boys!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your thoughts are very close to what I think here.They will not pass on ILB'er Evans or NT Payne but other than that Edge Rusher would seem to have the priority position. I would look for Snead to draft a few ILB'ers on the third day of the draft.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
What's funny about your list is that the only 1rst rounder on there (cushing) was nailed for PEDS a couple of times, including right after he won DROY.

Who says cheaters never prosper?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Rashaan Evans will change that!!

Wouldn't that be sweet?

Now that the FO has handled the secondary and is cleaning house of our starting LB crew, I'm leaning towards Evens as my favorite target at #23.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Wouldn't that be sweet?

Now that the FO has handled the secondary and is cleaning house of our starting LB crew, I'm leaning towards Evens as my favorite target at #23.

Yea man just give me Evans and Settles someway somehow and I’m a happy camper!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade will make a good defense out of the players Snead gets him. No worries here.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wade definitely can make do with mid to late round guys who do their job. But still I'd like to see him get a difference making LB or two.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If we don't trade back, I'd rather take Tim Settle. It may seem like an overdraft, but he's better for our D than Payne who'll likely go earlier and he's gonna be SO much better than anyone on our roster that we'll see better production from both ILBs.

I hope they trade back, but if not, my #1 target at this moment is Tim Settle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It looks like there could be some good libs available in round 1 at the Rams slot. When thinking of dominant 3/4s I usually think of Baltimore's. They had a dominant star at each level; Gnats, Lewis, Reed. But Wade doesn't seem to favor the dominant inside linebacker as much as the edge rusher, or is it just a coincidence that he took what he could get? If Payne is gone, and Landry is gone but Rashaun Evans or Vander Esch are available Ill be hoping they take one of them. But I am not so sure they will.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we don't trade back, I'd rather take Tim Settle. It may seem like an overdraft, but he's better for our D than Payne who'll likely go earlier and he's gonna be SO much better than anyone on our roster that we'll see better production from both ILBs.

I hope they trade back, but if not, my #1 target at this moment is Tim Settle.

The dropoff from the round 2 DTs to the rest of the class isn't all that much, as there are loads of big dudes who are going to play at this level in this class. I'd be a bit disappointed if they went after Settle there at 23 for that reason. I like the dude, but think they could prioritize their picks better is all.

Edge dropoff is higher from the potential prospects at 23 to the round three guys. So is ILB. Rather go that route. Get an impact front seven guy who brings speed and maybe flexibility, and then go back to get the lunch pail lineman round 3 or 4.

Ram65

Legend
Wade probably looks for certain qualities for ILBers. These can be found in all rounds. Instincts and high motor could be two.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like Micah Kiser out of Virginia in the 3rd or 4th round. Get that EDGE in the 1st.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if we sign suh .... im salivating at the thought of LVE and Barron blitzing up the middle ... poor QB's are not gonna be able to step up in the pocket ..hell theyll be lucky to finish their drops

i really think that Longarce Ebukam Price and Barwin will provide a healthy enough outside rush

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I always think of how Baltimore had sustained success for a long time. Their constants were Rey Lewis, Haloti Ngata, and Ed Reed. The Ravens drafted well but through the years as they were forced to let free agents leave they kept that nucleus of a great player at each level.

The thing is, Wade Phillips seems to favor his edge rushers more than inside linebackers. That almost is like another lineman. And he loves elite corners so it is a different model.

I would love it if they finally had a great inside linebacker. Vander Esch or Rashaun Evans would be good picks, that I would love. But I don’t think they’ll take either.

The last really good linebacker I can recall being on the Rams was London Fletcher. I loved watching him smack people. Then Lovie decided that Jamie Duncan was a better fit. It was a sad day for me. I loathe Sheattle getting Bobby Wagner when he was in Snead’s grasp. Les tried to be too smart and made a rookie mistake.

I would love to have a Lewis, Singletary, Urlacher level linebacker on the team but I don’t expect it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
if we sign suh .... im salivating at the thought of LVE and Barron blitzing up the middle ... poor QB's are not gonna be able to step up in the pocket ..hell theyll be lucky to finish their drops

i really think that Longarce Ebukam Price and Barwin will provide a healthy enough outside rush

A lot of the runs that hurt the Rams came right up the middle or toward the right side. I wish I had saved all of the games to rewatch over a slow winter.

I am guessing Barwin was partly to blame. But that was usually Baron’s side, inside. They really need an instinctive stay at home linebacker that can play the run. A few of the top guys look really good but if Baron is the pass coverage guy, then if all they need is a run defender/blitzer, that is something that can be found later.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well ... The Rams just signed ILB Ramik Wilson late of the KC Chief's, so we'll see if Wade wants another one in the Draft! I think he still goes after one, Like maybe Micah Kiser!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Smokescreen or are we set at ILB ?

RotoWorld :

Cory Littleton - LB - Rams
ESPN's Alden Gonzalez believes the Rams are "set" at inside linebacker with Mark Barron and either Cory Littleton or Ramik Wilson as the starters.

Linebacker appears to easily be the Rams' biggest on-paper weakness at the moment, but Barron is a capable starter and Littleton played heavy snaps down the stretch late last season. He's a third-year UDFA at 6'3/225 who was a pass rusher at Washington. DC Wade Phillips has never put a premium on inside linebacker, instead opting to develop late-rounders and UDFAs.

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 30 - 9:50 AM

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Can see a day 3 pick at ILB, to battle Hager for a roster spot, but it does appear the Rams are set at starters.