Does this team need a true blocking fullback?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love those kind of guys. Moose, Lorenzo Neal, Hedgecock, etc . . . but Harkey is that guy for us and he can catch . . .but I see no reason not to have a 265 pound anvil on the roster. I wanted to draft Prousch out of Auburn, but we had other needs . . . oh well.
I love those kinds of guys too, and I can't understand how that doesn't fit perfectly into Fisher's mentality or philosophy. Instead of running or passing out of a singleback formation, why not make the I-formation the staple and use the FB to pick up free rushers and/or lead the way for the RB? "Stick to my hip and don't slip" was Lorenzo Neal's calling card. Sure didn't hurt LaDanian all that much.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
First thing I always do in Madden is pick up the best pure FB in free agency.

But that's more because of a failure by Madden to account for this kind of offense more than anything else. It either makes Kendricks a FB, or gives Harkey a rating of 54 or something in it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah, I do too. He's a solid pass blocker, solid run blocker, and has decent hands. I'm just wondering if we couldn't use a dominant fullback for pass protection and run blocking instead. You know, a game-changer instead of a solid utility player. And I only wonder about that because of the issues we constantly bring up about pass protection and the commitment to the run game.

And as a potential run option which is something that Harkey simply does not provide.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Harkey's fine. The problem right now is Wells/Joseph in the interior, as well as him and Saffold not being 100% along with Wells re:the run game.
I agree with this. Harkey has developed nicely. He can do multiple things. If Kendricks doesn't get brought back(a good possibility he doesn't IMO) then we'll see Harkey's role increased.

Big Willie

Starter
Since not every team carries one, I would guess the Rams would be able to get one of the top 10 fullbacks available. Having one doesn't mean that he has to be on the field for a huge percentage of the snaps per game, it simply gives you flexibility based on your opponent's weaknesses and allows you a better power game option than a TE playing in the backfield. So yes, I would like to have one on the team.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Didn't Jackson love running behind one?

Also, who would sit on game day? Stacy or Harkey, maybe?

Ace right

UDFA
Would Shotty even use one? I had heard Shotty uses Coryell/Turner/Martz's old digit system offense which used the fullback a lot in running situations, but Shotty has his own preferences of course on packages that are different. Shotty seems to want to trick the D rather than lineup and say here we come with the lead blocker, though could we not throw out of that formation also?. We have not had an inclination to pick our version of the Hammer or a Hedgecock . I would think with our interior line problems our staff would want to give those guys any kind of help they could in those short yardage situations.