Does this change anyone's mind?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1508027

I was watching Mike and Mike, and they were talking about this. So without this blowing up into an argument of Ritchie being a racist. Do you guys think it's possible that the coaches knew this was going on and that's why Philbin read a prepared statement? Like I said, let's get off of Cogs for this. I was just curious what your thoughts were on the coaches? You think this may be common?

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm all for toughening up guys, but there has to be a point when you say, "okay, maybe he just isn't tough." And if this is common, I would hope not to this extreme. I can see heads rolling over this before the dust settles.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It doesn't change anything for me. You don't toughen someone up by ridiculing them, insulting their mother, calling them racist slurs and so on. It's a Neanderthal way of trying to accomplish something and it doesn't do much in the way of team building.

If I was trying to "toughen" you up by making fun of your weight and I did it all the time in person and on your voicemail and via text what would you think of me as a person and a man? Do you think it would do anything to make you "tougher"?

If the coaches are involved they should be fired. This was stupid from the start and anyone that couldn't see this ending badly isn't very bright.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow... I feel bad for the player. Cogs is a total @ss. Those coaches deserve to be fired in my book. At least a lengthy suspension and fine. Something.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ya know jugg,as someone who has been asked to be an enforcer repeatedly over my life, I think the envelope was pushed beyond appropriate bounds to the perception of most outsiders,but I do have a twinge of empathy for the guy.
I read the story and IMO LIKE Bountygate, the first 48 hours of a story like this gets the emotions fired up ,opinions get set in stone and people refuse to budge off their initial pontifications ,they FWIW paint themselves into corners and as new info comes in ,like this , the back peddle rarely comes.

I told X this in a PM , this game is in transition and the wussies are the ones determining the direction. If Martin couldn't handle what his teammates were dishing ( RI not being the ONLY ONE BTW) he'd surely wilt under what opponents were saying and doing on the field. Further ONCE the bullying agenda gets it's foothold in the locker room it will then move to the field so we are looking at 15 yards for "bullying?" WTF?!?

The onion continues to be peeled:wow:

Now that's all IMA say in this thread , the Bifrost is closed Heimdall has been told to smack me across the chops with Thors hammer if I post anything more about this and as you can see:cheese: I got a lot of money stuck in these teeth,so IMA keep em long as I can.:wink:

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We all know that player was far to harsh, I wanna keep it on the coaches. This seems to me, like a teacher rooting on a student to bully the weakest kid in class. And that can not be accepted. This IMO is worse than bounty gate. It's one thing to hurt a man leg, it's a whole other thing to break his mind. If Goodell was ever gonna show his power, now is it. And Les, I completely understand your point, I just wanna keep it on track and not have it run the course of yesterday's thread.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
You can't "toughen up" a GROWN ass man! Either u have it or u don't. Cogs crossed the line but Martin let him. My father embedded this in my head when I was a kid, "a coward dies a thousand deaths but a man only dies once"". I'm sorry to say but if Martin had it tough since he has been in the league, he is gonna have it worst now for the rest of his life.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Someone needs to toughen up Richie...because deep down he is a soft, shallow, insecure person.

fearsomefour

Legend
DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?!!!

In seriousness, not surprising. The team spent a high draft pick on Martin and he was not panning out. This shows a lack of thought and insight by the coaches, but, it is not surprising. I dont think Martin was all that interested in playing NFL football. Their is will and there is skill. I dont think Martin possessed the will....at least not at this point.
We all know there are tons of fake tough guys out there, running their mouths and thumping their chests and I dont think this is how you toughen a guy up. Really should have focused on the field. But, a guy is either gonna push back when someone gives him a little shot or he isent. I think Martin has other issues going on (clearly, as far as I know he is still in "counseling"). Luckily for him live goes on a long time after football is over.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The fact that the fin HC was reading from a prepared statement tells me that peeps are worried. Those weren't the coach's words.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The fact that the fin HC was reading from a prepared statement tells me that peeps are worried. Those weren't the coach's words.
This was my thought exactly

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
My thought from day one was this thing is gonna grow into something much bigger than Richie being a bully.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You know whats funny, is my buddy/coworker who knows Richie first saw the report about Martin leaving he immediately said to me, "I guarantee Richie is behind it."

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hell no. If anything it makes the coaches idiots too.

I don't understand this whole "toughen up" via bullying garbage.

Teammates are supposed to lookout for each other, help each other. Sure emotions get heated and they'll get into physical altercations, I'd say 9/10 times it gets settled.

Coaches meanwhile keep control and maintain the environment with the sole purpose of winning games and improving young men. So no, right now both people deserve w/e consequence they get.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This entire thing is so messed up. We've all read the coaches asked Richie to toughen him up (reported anyway). Well, even if that's the case Richie took it to the extreme from everything I've seen and read. And when you listen to players from other teams say Martin let it happen and he should of been a man...Oh boy. I mean the NFL, game or not is a business, a job.
If any of us had to deal with this kind of crap in our jobs we'd have an HR nightmare and someody would of already been fired. Why doesn't the HC have the balls to go to Martin directly and tell him what concerns he had? Richie, as a human being should know when to draw the line and he didn't. If Martin was supposed to "man up" as some say than Richie should of as well. There is no place for racial slurs and some of the other crap he supposedly did. There are a lot of ways to toughen someone up in a more positive manner.

What a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1508027

I was watching Mike and Mike, and they were talking about this. So without this blowing up into an argument of Ritchie being a racist. Do you guys think it's possible that the coaches knew this was going on and that's why Philbin read a prepared statement? Like I said, let's get off of Cogs for this. I was just curious what your thoughts were on the coaches? You think this may be common?
Of course they knew what was going on. How can this type of stuff happen in such closed quarters for so long without others not knowing. Ultimately, it's management's fault for allowing the behavior to continue.

What we are seeing now is (1) damage control, and (2) self-preservation.

Given this, who know what the truth is, because people's jobs are now on the line and lies will be flying. I'm getting the strong feeling that Richie is a convenient fall-guy, and that there is way more to this story than we know.

Maybe the Rams should trade for Incognito? Fisher would nip that s#!& in the bud.

Last edited by a moderator:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>You can't "toughen up" a GROWN ass man! Either u have it or u don't.<<

The military might have a vastly different opinion!

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
>>You can't "toughen up" a GROWN ass man! Either u have it or u don't.<<

The military might have a vastly different opinion!

I don't know, i remember when i was in basic training, every night when i had watch, it seemed there was always someone awake crying. Never understood it personally, these folks decided to come do this, then get all emotional...Anyway, i would say out of what was initially an 82 man division, turned into a 70 man division by graduation....lol Some people just don't have it.