Does Finnegan Bounce Back Next Year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
I like Cortland but he didn't play well at all early in the year before the injury. Not sure if he'll ever bounce back. Probably should let him go.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
We won't know if he can bounce back until it's too late. Cut our losses now and move on. As Balckbart mentioned, he's too old to bounce back anyway.
His age isn't as much of an issue as his lack of production. If he was kickin azz we wouldn't care if he was 50:woot:

V3

Hall of Fame
He will be 30 in February and is do to make WAY too much for his production.

"If the Rams chose to release Finnegan outright, they'd only be on the hook for the remainder of the signing bonus in terms of accelerated cap space, so they'd realize a net savings of $7 million next year so long as any move was made before the roster bonus is due."

This is where we learn if Fisher has a problem with being loyal to a fault.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Including all player positions, the average NFL career is four seasons.

Finnegan is too old to want back, he is not a perennial pro bowl player, he is expendable.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm still convinced that his "Injury" was Fisher's way of letting the old dog down easy, rather than be a healthy scratch to his inability to play this year. Does anyone remember seeing him on the sidelines? Or even remember when the injury happened?

Alan

Legend
Ky Ram forgetting the consequence of age:
His age isn't as much of an issue as his lack of production. If he was kickin azz we wouldn't care if he was 50:woot:

Oh to be 50 again!:D

Life is a bell curve Ky. Production is inversely related to age. I hope no one is under the misapprehension that his lack of production was due to his injury this year. As I noted in a thread months ago, he sucked last year too. His career has steadily gone downhill after making the 2009 PB with Asomugha who followed a similar path.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He will be 30 in February and is do to make WAY too much for his production.

"If the Rams chose to release Finnegan outright, they'd only be on the hook for the remainder of the signing bonus in terms of accelerated cap space, so they'd realize a net savings of $7 million next year so long as any move was made before the roster bonus is due."

Oh wow... this looks like a no brainer unless he sharply restructures. Thank you for sharing this info.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
NP Mr StL I found it in an article on ESPN from November

Name
JP
Just a lot of dead money if the answer turns out to be no. It's not like our secondary is deep so he'll have a shot. Surly he'll regroup and be ready.

I think we cut him, but he is one of Fishers guys, so maybe not. Will be very interesting to see what we do with him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He went from hero to zero quicker than anyone in a long time. Dude has "lost it".

Definitely must reinvest those dollars elsewhere!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Could we move him to Safety???
I was wondering that myself. He could play FS and be the ball hawking safety this defense really needs. However, if we do that we will very much need another CB even if McGee is able to play/contribute more